Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,002 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition (2041 Views)

A Man Run Unclad From Abuja To Minna To Prove Love To Girlfriend / PHOTO: Meet The Largest Cat In The World - A Liger (lion & Tiger Crossbreed) / The British Expedition To Ethiopia (Abysinnia) And The Battle Of Magdala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 9:52am On Dec 01, 2019
I have lived in Abuja for over seven years now, Dutse Alhaji in particular. I could remember vividly how I would always stare at this particular mountain, asking myself - "what could possibly be on the other side of this mountain?' " what is the sight like up there? " et cetra. These were some of my questions.
At some point I became confused because some well meaning people had answers to my questions. Some said, "the mountain contains a very large amount of water" and others said "there's a big body of water on the other side". So for over 7years I kept staring at the mountain; because there's virtually no day I won't see it, except on day's I'm out of the state.

Fast forward to this week. I learnt through a colleague that there's a hiking team he is part of, that hikes different locations in and out of Abuja. So I got interested almost immediately. I started planning and preparing... At long last I am about to see not just the top of this mountain but the other side, since the mountain we are climbing (Dawaki hills still in Dutse Alhaji) is higher than the one I have been daydreaming about, and would afford me an opportunity to answer my questions myself.

Seun
Lalasticlala
Dominique

Abeg help us move this to front page.

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 10:03am On Dec 01, 2019
So, I started preparing. There were at least five days remaining as at the time I found out about the adventure and most of the requirements, I had already.
On the D-day of the climb, I got to the meet up point (Dawaki fly-over, opp citec villa) 3 mins before the agreed time(6:42am), which was 6:45am only to meet 4 persons, at this point i knew the African time syndrome was about to deal us a severe blow. I mean the journey, according to the plan was supposed to start at 7:15am and we were supposed to have over 80 hikers. Here I am by 6:42am and only 4 are present.

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by Nobody: 10:14am On Dec 01, 2019
Please continue, I hope the Minister of Culture and Tourism is listening.

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 10:14am On Dec 01, 2019
After so much waiting, the journey began at about 8:30am and we were heading for the foot of the hill. Mind you, what you see in the picture is not the main hill. The main hill is like two or three other hills behind the one you're seeing grin

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 01, 2019
Hmmm so people latter turned up....9ja and African time mentality.Next time try get a sponsor....so people can get free drinks at least.There is one in kwali I hope to go hiking on someday...great job you are doing

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by daddytime(m): 10:25am On Dec 01, 2019
Wow...

Op is my neighbor, and I sure would have enjoyed this hiking expedition as an adventurer myself.

This Una mountain na small thing sha compared to one mountain wey only me climb for Morocco over 20 years ago when I begin trek to Europe.

I can never forget that night and the huge mountain. I embarked on the long climb at about 8ish and by the time I made it to the top of the mountain and could stare down on the city of Nador and Melilla (Spain), I had done over 5 hours all by myself with no proper gears or water, but God in his ever providence provided for me waters in the desert to quench my thirst and led me by roadways in the wilderness.

I'd usually take a rest by sitting on any rock I come upon, panting and thirsty, and then each time I grope in the dark to feel surrounding rocks, there was always one with water in it for me to drink from.

My life and experiences are indeed a testimony to God's mercy and unending grace.

I'm always in awe and appreciation of God on a daily.

Life is big my people...

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 10:26am On Dec 01, 2019
So we started advancing towards the hills.. We were told two pick ourselves in two's. Hardware and software grin grin
Hardware: someone who is physically strong
Software: someone who is physically weak and would certain need help along the way. Most of the ladies fell into the software category and also some potbellied dudes grin grin

Surprisingly, i noticed that some got tired immediately after the first climb... And I was like "why are they here?" Lol.. It's a joke anyways. Everyone has got their reason for coming and even I myself had to set my heart on the worst case scenario before coming so I won't become a software all of a sudden.

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 10:28am On Dec 01, 2019
More pictures..

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 10:32am On Dec 01, 2019
One of the ladies was practically being dragged up the mountain at the onset of the climb by her hardware, she almost fainted grin grin grin
Sorry I don't have a picture of that. I don't want to be an herald of doom grin

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by Nobody: 10:33am On Dec 01, 2019
Hmmm I hope you had medical personnel in your team
Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 10:40am On Dec 01, 2019
Back to my story..
We continued climbing for the next 3 hours. At some point it I started imagining my self in the shoes of the Israelites while they were following Moses to an unknown promise land grin
There were fun parts along the way sha.. We say this stream that was super chill (i washed my face with the water immediately) and some stones that were arranged on top of each other. I never hesitated to add to stones, even though I don't know who started the move grin grin I must be part if history, who knows it could grow to become a mountain someday. Then, I would be able to tell my descendants that I was one of those who formed the mountain or hill grin grin whatever it becomes.

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 10:42am On Dec 01, 2019

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 10:46am On Dec 01, 2019
Some other beautiful photographs..

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 10:48am On Dec 01, 2019

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 10:53am On Dec 01, 2019
Mind you, this isn't the top of the mountain yet... We were only like halfway there grin

At this point, I was already at the back of the mountain I had always starred at every morning. To my utmost surprise, there's no water behind it, just valleys and mountains. Lessons learnt, don't believe people too much. That thing they are telling you about, have you ever thought of the possibility that they haven't even seen it themselves?

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 11:05am On Dec 01, 2019
Finally, at about 11:30am, we got to the top of Dawaki hills. I was so excited, It was a dream come true. I was so happy so much that I needed someone to rush to my hometown and announce to my village people, that their son has made it in life grin

We were now at an altitude of 775 feet above sea level. The air there was so fresh. You could almost stone a passing airplane grin

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 11:14am On Dec 01, 2019
From the top, you could see... Jabi Lake, usuma Dam, MKO Abiola stadium Abuja formerly National Stadium, Games village and a host of other places.

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 11:20am On Dec 01, 2019
The team also made use of a drone to record some videos and take pictures of where the 'local men' couldn't reach.

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 11:23am On Dec 01, 2019
It was all fun..

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 11:25am On Dec 01, 2019
More pictures...

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 11:28am On Dec 01, 2019

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 11:40am On Dec 01, 2019
Coming down was much easier. We started descending at about 1pm and got down before 2:30pm. A pool party was supposed to follow immediately after the descent, but me, 'I can't fit swim'. I simply 'carried my body' home jeje grin with my M2 hiking badge
and the mountain, which I have always stared at under my belt.

I swear I could have still gone for another climb grin. Like I stated earlier, I was expecting the worse (though it didn't get to that) and hoping for the best.

Kudos to the Happy Trail Network Team.

It's been your Darling xcelentattitude, I hope you do enjoy the write up. grin

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 11:44am On Dec 01, 2019
uruba23:
Hmmm so people latter turned up....9ja and African time mentality.Next time try get a sponsor....so people can get free drinks at least.There is one in kwali I hope to go hiking on someday...great job you are doing

Wow! Good point sir, duly noted. I'll inform my colleague who is co-admins the network.
Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 11:53am On Dec 01, 2019
uruba23:
Hmmm I hope you had medical personnel in your team

Yeah, we did, maybe force men too, lawyers et cetra.
Some lady even had asthma attack, which rendered her almost incompetent to descend. I mean... How would you possibly bring down an asthma patient who is 775 feet above the ground? grin
God helped us.

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by Nobody: 12:19pm On Dec 01, 2019
Great thumbs up ,thought you were planning to put the Nigeria flag there like the astronauts that went to the moon.Abi what better way to keep records for other to see.
Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 2:03pm On Dec 01, 2019
uruba23:
Great thumbs up ,thought you were planning to put the Nigeria flag there like the astronauts that went to the moon.Abi what better way to keep records for other to see.

Thought so too sir, but as high as it is, it's just a normal route for the Fulani guys who dwell up there in the mountains. We were even up there with their kids and I'm sure if we were to leave it there, they'll just make a caricature of it by playing with it. They won't really know the purpose since they're just kids. Maybe we would have done it anyways, because I believe aside the Fulani guys who dwell around, we were the first to go up there.

1 Like

Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 01, 2019
xcelentattitude:

Thought so too sir, but as high as it is, it's just a normal route for the Fulani guys who dwell up there in the mountains. We were even up there with their kids and I'm sure if we were to leave it there, they'll just make a caricature of it by playing with it. They won't really know the purpose since they're just kids. Maybe we would have done it anyways, because I believe aside the Fulani guys who dwell around, we were the first to go up there.
The fulani story you said makes me to remember the mongo park story, of course they where indigenous Nigerian at river Niger but because park can read n write they said he discovered River Niger.
Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 4:56pm On Dec 01, 2019
uruba23:

The fulani story you said makes me to remember the mongo park story, of course they where indigenous Nigerian at river Niger but because park can read n write they said he discovered River Niger.

grin grin is true na
Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by Goodluckassured: 9:03pm On Dec 09, 2019
That day some people were panting while some were breathing heavily when we got to the mountain peak whereas the little Fulani kids (females) we met were just climbing as if they're just walking.
It was actually a great experience I wouldn't have afford to miss.
Re: From Abuja To The World - A Nairalander's Hiking Expedition by xcelentattitude(m): 4:32pm On Dec 11, 2019
Goodluckassured:
That day some people were panting while some were breathing heavily when we got to the mountain peak whereas the little Fulani kids (females) we met were just climbing as if they're just walking.
It was actually a great experience I wouldn't have afford to miss.

Wow! shocked another happy trail member, good to have you onboard grin

(1) (Reply)

The German Octopus That Predicts World Cup Winners (see Picture) / I'll Like To Start A Petition To Ban Alj Harem Permanently From Niaraland. / The War To Come -Cutting Off The River Niger At Guinea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.