Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,109 members, 7,818,308 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss (15411 Views)

What Are Your Experience Working With Indian Managers / Share Your Experience Working In A Loan Shark Company / Experience Working For A One Man Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by Sylver247: 2:30pm On Dec 02, 2019
So during the weekend, I was just thinking about the Nigerian employment system and the sometimes enormous challenges employees go through.

Apart from very stringent requirements in terms of education, age and experience, there is the very rigorous selection process which sometimes lasts for months.

Then if you are eventually selected, the challenges of the job can be gruelling sometimes. Apart from the normal everyday demands of the job, sometimes you get to work with very difficult people.

Some bosses can really make you regret your life. I have seen and heard about bosses who abuse their subordinates emotionally and sometimes even physically.

I once worked with a boss who would push you, call you names and yell at any slightest thing. Have you ever had such an experience working with a difficult person? How did you or are you handling it?

7 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by donstan18: 2:31pm On Dec 02, 2019
Sylver247:

I once worked with a boss who would push you, call you names and yell at any slightest thing.
I'm not saying you aren't worth anything, but there are things I don't expect someone who know his/her worth to tolerate.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by Sylver247: 2:58pm On Dec 02, 2019
donstan18:

I'm not saying you aren't worth anything, but there are things I don't expect someone who know his/her worth to tolerate.

Bro, in Nigeria knowing your worth is subjective. You can know your worth and still go hungry. People are scared to lose their jobs that's why they just keep enduring.

115 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by donstan18: 3:09pm On Dec 02, 2019
Sylver247:

Bro, in Nigeria knowing your worth is subjective. You can know your worth and still go hungry. People are scared to lose their jobs that's why they just keep enduring.
You are right anyway.

15 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by GIDIBANKZ(m): 7:57am On Dec 03, 2019
My boss is Something Else.... He always Shout at His Staffs in presence of His Frnds and Costumers makinq People Around Our Organisation LOOK DOWN ON US..... Not Encouraging Us... ANY LITTLE EFFECT YOU MAKE TO MAKE THE WORK MOVE FOWARD WILL LEAD TO INSULTING US.......THE LAST TIME I WANTED TO TAKE SOME WORKING TOOLS TO OUR SMALL OFFICE... THE NEXT THING HE SAID WAS THAT... I LIKE WASTING TRANSPORT........AND EVER SINCE I RESUME OFFICE IN THAT PLACE....I HAVE NEVER ASKED OF TRANSPORT FOR ANYTHING.......... Yesterday Evening... He was Even telling me that, he will SLAP ME.....I FELT BAD SHA...... So this morning when he Came, I Told Him to expect my SIGNING OUT/RESIGNATION LETTER VERY SOON

SO WORIKING UNDER PERSON IS BAD AND FRUSTRATING......I WILL SOON GO AND START MY BUSINESS

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by Slawormir: 7:57am On Dec 03, 2019
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Our Nigerian bosses are good na

Try those expatriate like the Chinese, Thailand, Indian, Pakistan and Malaysian
You go hate your life
Those people can oppress you anyday anytime twice in your own country

Remember those years in National integrated power project in Edo state. My boss was from Indian

I missed the company bus that morning
And he just started shouting. Even telling me that I shouldn't clock my card. Saying all sort of rubbish

The thing got me angry.
I just responded by telling him
" You are a moronn and light travels faster than sound that his why some people appears to be intelligent until you hear them speak"

I got my sack later.
But i was paid all my allowances in full
So i used that money in buying a good phone and a nice system ( laptop)

I started bombing

116 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by nabegibeg: 7:57am On Dec 03, 2019
Sylver247:
So during the weekend, I was just thinking about the Nigerian employment system and the sometimes enormous challenges employees go through.

Apart from very stringent requirements in terms of education, age and experience, there is the very rigorous selection process which sometimes lasts for months.

Then if you are eventually selected, the challenges of the job can be gruelling sometimes. Apart from the normal everyday demands of the job, sometimes you get to work with very difficult people.

Some bosses can really make you regret your life. I have seen and heard about bosses who abuse their subordinates emotionally and sometimes even physically.

I once worked with a boss who would push you, call you names and yell at any slightest thing. Have you ever had such an experience working with a difficult person? How did you or are you handling it?

You know whether their boss they monitor their.movemrnt for nairaland?

Just a friendly reminder, don't get sack trying to comment
grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 03, 2019
Mr John you know what you did to me back then in E I D.

Anyway I forgive you because I'm a good Yoruba man.

7 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by emmabest2000(m): 7:58am On Dec 03, 2019
Folks always respect your Boss decisions because as the saying goes
"EXPERIENCE IS THE BEST TEACHER "
to avoid what happens in the picture below ..

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by helinues: 7:58am On Dec 03, 2019
Average Nigeria bosses dont wish their workers well.

Should I say they are not more than enemy of progress.. You can never satisfy Nigeria Boss.

Egocentric and self Centred lots

Infact, average Nigerians with extra privileges are like that.. That's why the young talented ones dont have opportunity to show case their skills

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by OjaTiBurst: 7:58am On Dec 03, 2019
Things like this often happen in a one man business

Get a multi national company job or a govt job
And have peace of mind where you dont get to see your boss.

Because right there no one can take you as trash we are all working for the same Boss we dont see often
cool cool

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by Inyaka: 7:58am On Dec 03, 2019
A Manager in one of the top notched new generation banks made me hated my life. He liked my younger sister, and wanted her. Therefore, he tried to bully me into having his way to her.

I was just a contract staff relieving someone in the branch. And one of the tellers had a shortage of 50k, he(the manager) said I stole the money because I was the first to leave the banking hall(with due permission from the ABM).

Because I was a new contract staff, Obafemi thought I didn't know my right and was daft. He threatened to froze my account, I bluntly told him he had no right and proof against me.

I got fed up and wrote a resignation letter, because it was a three weeks contract, and I had already done 1.5 weeks. It wasn't worth it. The pay was so small. My parents advised me to just let go, before he implicated me further.

I reported the case to the regional manager, but because they were all Yorubas and I wasn't, they spoke in their local dialect and sold me off( Reasons for sudden hate on Yoruba Muslims from Osun).

He wrote on my resignation letter that I stole, hence, I wanted to resign. When I saw that, I told him "Obafemi, I would fight this to the last drop of my blood, it has just begun".

I went straight to the headquarters and reported the case to compliance. Compliance said they were not aware of any shortage from the branch. That it was a case of witch hunting or artificial shortage.

I told them about the conspiracy between Obafemi and the yoruba boss. Compliance pulled out their secret chats and realised the boss and Obafemi had something fishy going on.

I went straight to the bank portal and whistle blew Obafemi. Showing proofs, and I uploaded the letter where he claimed I stole money. He was doing this without the consent of compliance, and without the knowledge of the bank. It wasn't in his power to write such on my letter when the case hasn't been investigated.

The case was investigated and Obafemi was the guilty one. Headquarters nearly suspended him. I left the bank. My account wasn't frozen. I got my full pay. I hate bank jobs today.

This made me vow never to work in a bank. Today, I'm self employed and earning 10x their paltry sum.

P/S
The regional manager was also witch hunted and he resigned one month after.

PLEASE ignore the errors.

Dear Obafemi, if you're reading this, please change your ways. All those girls you set up because they refuse to date you, all the times you use official bank cars for clubbing, all the times you frustrate young men like me with dreams, remember God is watching. Your cup go soon full.

146 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by SweetPreeq(m): 7:58am On Dec 03, 2019
He said "Suck my d or lose your job"

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by AlphaStyles(m): 7:59am On Dec 03, 2019
My friend keeps complaining how her boss keeps yelling at her on the slightest thing even if she didn't do anything
Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by zicoraads: 8:00am On Dec 03, 2019
A boss who pushes and goes physical? No, I won't survive beyond that day. Because I'll return the favour, in a more aggressive way.

Had one who was pushing for my sack when I started working. She never saw anything good in whatever I did. The day she made the mistake of shouting at me, I did same and worked out.

Good thing is, she didn't have the outright authority to fire me. But she was the head of my department.

Anyway, she was removed as the head not too long after I came. And she was fired afterwards. Now, I'm the one heading the department.

Saw her the other day in town, I just horned my car and smiled to myself. grin

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by yvelchstores(f): 8:00am On Dec 03, 2019
Whether your boss is problematic or not, I blv when u have a mapped out vision of where you are heading, you will overlook some obstacles because in all honesty, no one should just hope to work for another man forever.

22 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:01am On Dec 03, 2019
We had our fair share of working with one bad boss once, but he is now a fan, doing all he can to familiarize.

Now, all staff @[/color] love their Boss and can do anything to keep making the company move forward.
It is more of a family thing.

Happy and satisfied Staff move a company forward.

[color=#990000]Learn from this, Bosses out there!
Make your staff happy.
Profits must be made!

Peace out!

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by Kendollar696(m): 8:01am On Dec 03, 2019
cry cry
SweetPreeq:
cry
SweetPreeq:

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by Nthrone(m): 8:04am On Dec 03, 2019
My rule have always been, never take bulshit, you only live once. Be happy nothing matters most

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by DarkandHandsome(m): 8:04am On Dec 03, 2019
My boss is a female and she's the type the preaches/teaches Gods word but she's a demon.. she'll be using Bible verses to cover up but she's a devil. Very manipulative and unappreciative being undecided

13 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by GEOANDSONS: 8:04am On Dec 03, 2019
I enjoygrin grin
Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by GIDIBANKZ(m): 8:06am On Dec 03, 2019
angry
Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by emkz: 8:07am On Dec 03, 2019
I had one who was a psychological rapist. He would rape your psyche until you lose confidence in yourself and rely on him even for the air you breath. Then he'd try to turn you to his slave to do his work for him, even outrightly stealing your work and taking credit. Many could not complain, they groaned under him because of our pathetic economic situation.

A colleague assaulted me one day and I counter-assaulted him. He told me he'd use his powers so I apologize to him. I thoroughly blasted him in an email and copied management, detailing his excesses which if they had gone public, he'd have been asked to resign. He tried to get me fired but management told him it cannot be justified since I acted in self defense, but he was reprimanded for his own excesses. From that day, he became afraid of me (he underrated me)...and afraid of losing his job.

So when you get to an organization, know your rights. There is no organization that tells a boss to behave recklessly and no organization would allow a nasty boss to taint their reputation. But know your onions and build strong relationships because you never know when you may need them. I hope in future, I can share my story about these issues.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by doctore212(m): 8:13am On Dec 03, 2019
My boss is a very nice guy. However my ordeal with him started one night I went to Olosho house and met my boss there.

And the guy Sabi form church too much. He carry babe and I carried my own too after causal greetings.

From that day on, my life has been miserable but me I no send am.SIMPLE.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by IceColdVeins(m): 8:15am On Dec 03, 2019
The most horrible of bosses are always women.
I feel like calling that modafucka out,........
It was my first job in a new generation bank outlet, b*tch was a witch!
When she hates you, she'll hate the air you breath out and every other thing that is not trying to frustrate you. She once embarassed her staff members in the presence of customers and one of the customers had to make a report to the HeadOffice against the witch. You won't believe this woman had sat an employee down and made him reisgn under duress without appropriate justification, the said employee had recently got robbed of huge some of money meant for his wedding and lost his mom a week before then.
She hated Marian (not real name) female colleague of mine due to jealousy cos the colleague of mine had 2 SUVs and was living the life. The Manager hated her and every one she was close to including myself. Marian and I once got a mail from the audit unit to shed light unto huge inflows into our personal bank accounts, which they claimed were way above our income from the organisation....We later got the tip from our insider in the HR department that it was our Manager that decided to pry into our accounts. I was like wtf? She even accused Marian of sleeping with clients.
She didnt stop there, she started flying mails trying to associate my name with fraud reports in the branch....lol She claimed I wasn't performing, even when I dragged the branch up the cluster ranking. I got to know she was nuts when she claimed I wasnt performing when she was even on leave.... like damn!!
Shit got realer, when Marian travelled to the states for her leave and came back with a benz 4matic SUV. Damn!! Last last!! I resigned, Marian ran back to USA, one other colleague who had barely spent 3 months resigned too and the whole unit was left to her alone make she dey rock am.

Olorburuku.

21 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by JONNYSPUTE(m): 8:16am On Dec 03, 2019
In 2010 before I resigned to set up my own business,I worked under a boss who can never take any responsibility or even admit his mistakes. He will shout at you from morning till night even when he is at fault. I worked for a year and some months and couldn't take it any more. I never knew that most of our clients were even aware of his stupid and irresponsible acts not until I resigned and almost all of them switched over to me. Funny thing was that my boss even reported me to my dad then.Thank God we both meet each other anytime we are bidding for jobs.

12 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by Advantaged: 8:18am On Dec 03, 2019
So I joined this organisation and one day was sent on an errand that involved payment and a junior staff was asked to accompany me. She is older in the organisation and was given my boss' atm card to make payments. I had no problem. This happened about twice.

There was this other time I was to go on a similar errand alone and I was given the card but declined and asked for cash. My boss didn't say anything but just gave me the money.

Fast forward to some months. There was an issue in the office. In the process of querying my actions, my boss made reference to the day I turned down the card and requested for cash instead and said I was acting 'holier than thou' as everyone in the office use the card and nothing has ever gone wrong.

I felt really bad anyway. I was still fresh in the office at the time the card incident happened and I was surprised at the way it was interpreted

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by Nobody: 8:18am On Dec 03, 2019
God no go allow me work under any one

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Working With A Problematic Boss by YorubaPrince: 8:19am On Dec 03, 2019
grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reps Wants CBN To Sanction Banks Casualizing Staff / Get Free Job Alerts To Your Mobile Phone / 11 Teachers Demoted To Security Guards In Cross River

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.