Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,472 members, 7,770,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:18 AM

Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano (2625 Views)

Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos / Launching Of Obijackson Children Hospital In Anambra, Nigeria (Photos) / CLAM Church Opens SOTERIA Hospital In Lagos (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by Omenani(m): 7:21am On Nov 24, 2010
Pfizer Starts Work on $30m Hospital in Kano

Multinational drugs firm, Pfizer Incorporated, has commenced work on the establishment of a $30 million medical facility at Dawakin Dudu, 15 kilometres from the Kano metropolis.

Ibrahim Shekarau, the state Governor, performed the foundation laying ceremony of the medical facility at the occasion. He said that the decision by Pfizer to establish the medical facility was in line with an out of court settlement reached between the state government, victims of the 1996 Trovan drug test and Pfizer incorporated.

Spokesperson for Pfizer, Chris Loder, said the decision to construct the medical facility underlines the commitment of the company towards ensuring the wellbeing of Nigerians. "The construction of a new state of the art medical centre in Kano is proof positive that Pfizer continues to fulfil its commitments to Nigeria and its people," he said. "This event allows the company to further its work on what really matters - improving the healthcare for all Nigerians." The medical facility is to be equipped with a centre for disease control, a public health laboratory, a diagnostic centre, a micro-biological reference laboratory and residence staff quarters.

The Trovan War

Hundreds of people died or took ill in Kano after they were administered by the drugs in a surreptitious test being conducted by the company on the efficacy and effects of the drug. It was later sued by both the state and federal government. The company reached an out-of-court settlement with the two parties.

Recalling how he led a delegation to the negotiation talks with Pfizer in the United Kingdom and America, Mr Shekarau expressed optimism that the medical facility would achieve the desired objective of proper diagnosis and treatment of chronic diseases afflicting children in Kano and neighbouring states of Nigeria.

The chairman of the Healthcare Programme Trust, S.A.S Galadanci, said that it is unfortunate that the less privileged ones in the society had faced difficulties accessing treatment when faced with chronic ailments. He explained that the facility would redress the problems associated with the dearth of medical facilities and equipment at various healthcare centres in Kano and neighbouring states by the time it becomes fully operational next year.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5645862-147/pfizer_starts_work_on_30m_hospital.csp
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by papas: 11:40am On Nov 24, 2010
We were lucky to detect this covert testing, unfortunately after the loss of many innocent children's lives.

One just wonders how many more drugs Pfizer, and other drug companies, are covertly testing.
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by Ikwikwikwi(m): 12:11pm On Nov 24, 2010
a very good start, well done
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by liquid7: 2:12pm On Nov 24, 2010
funny.i wonder if the hospital will be run by the government or the company.
i am skeptical of both.government has a good history of stealing and mismanagement.
While a drug company using people as lab rats can be expected to do same again with a hospital to back it up.
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by rhythyson: 2:16pm On Nov 24, 2010
Im sure if na 9ja Delta this one happen the People will collect money and forget case and if you try to call them to order, the women will walk naked to curse any body wen won ask question ala Ibori, grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked shocked  no ofense[b][/b]
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by buzugee(m): 3:55pm On Nov 24, 2010
i wouldnt take a dog to that hospital. let the human experimentation begin
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by Nobody: 4:47pm On Nov 24, 2010
30million dollars is damm too much
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by Basics007: 4:53pm On Nov 24, 2010
Is this a tacit admission that Pfizer actually used the children as guinea pigs? If so then a 30m dollar hospital doesnt compensate at all. Moreover God help us if that money is given to the state govt to construct the hospital
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by bawomolo(m): 5:03pm On Nov 24, 2010
uplawal:

30million dollars is damm too much

health care isn't cheap.
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by Nobody: 5:07pm On Nov 24, 2010
MILLION DOLLARS IN 30,ITS NOT TOO MUCH IF THE MONEY WOULD BE USED TO BUILD MORE HOSPITALS IN KANO NOT JUST ONE,

The painful part is that they are still gonna do rubbish,squander the money inbetween
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by lawmanlala(m): 6:16pm On Nov 24, 2010
I think the figure is highly exaggerated.Has the figure been independently verified? Sounds like all these political $$$ announcement on NTA. critical deception.
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by Theblessed(f): 6:18pm On Nov 24, 2010
[size=18pt]Why not a $30m Hospital for people in Benin, Calabar, Portharcourt, Enugu, Aba, Benue, Taraba etc, don't they get sick? Don't they deserve quality Hospital as well?  I need an answer!

This is overt evidence of the Northern people sense of fairness - the reinforcement of inequalities in Nigerian. Judge for yourselves and let us know the equality in service provision in this country. And, is why we must vote for these Presidential aspirants to further our sufferings.

You know what? You lot can go ahead and vote for them but remember, this time next year you'd be back here again pouring your hearts out due to your own folly.  We shall live to see it, shan't we??
[/size]
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by Solozzo(m): 6:28pm On Nov 24, 2010
This is a very good outcome of the court decision. The hospital would benefit the public who suffered immensely from Pfizer unethical acts. Once again the northerners have shown that many a time they are more reasonable than many southern governors who would have just collected some part of the money and end the case there. I wish them success in this project
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by silami(m): 6:45pm On Nov 24, 2010
Theblessed:

[size=18pt]Why not a $30m [b]Hospital for people in Benin, Calabar, Portharcourt, Enugu, Aba, Benue, Taraba e[/b]tc, don't they get sick? Don't they deserve quality Hospital as well?  I need an answer!

This is overt evidence of the Northern people sense of fairness - the reinforcement of inequalities in Nigerian. Judge for yourselves and let us know the equality in service provision in this country. And, is why we must vote for these Presidential aspirants to further our sufferings.

You know what? You lot can go ahead and vote for them but remember, this time next year you'd be back here again pouring your hearts out due to your own folly.  We shall live to see it, shan't we??
[/size]

Why can't you read the topic first. The questions i have for you is were the children of these state killed? is Pfizer a northern company?. you are another ethnic bigot we dnt need in Nija.
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by Ifygurl: 7:02pm On Nov 24, 2010
Seriously this people are still allowed in Nigeria?
Why do we have polictians ya'll?
Watch this is all a plot to test more drugs on innocent children. 
I wouldn't even take my dead grandma(R.I.P) to that hospital
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by Ifygurl: 7:07pm On Nov 24, 2010
Theblessed:

[size=18pt]Why not a $30m Hospital for people in Benin, Calabar, Portharcourt, Enugu, Aba, Benue, Taraba etc, don't they get sick? Don't they deserve quality Hospital as well?  I need an answer!

[/size]

Did you read what Pzier company did in Nigeria before?
You shouldn't even be advocating for them to come to south or even north self?
This people used innocent children from the north for human experiment (killing alot and leaving others brain dead).
This is a company you wouldn't wish to come near your state or country(I wish they leave Nigeria for good).
BTW, I think they are building the hospital over there out of guilt or something though. IDK
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by Nobody: 7:09pm On Nov 24, 2010
last poster,pls dnt make me break ma ribs grin

That means pfizer is the thief den,white people and there complanies always exploit us anyway,barawo,what on earth would they use 30million dollars to build just an Hospital,imagine
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 24, 2010
what i dnt get is,is the money from the Nigerian account or is it pfizer's own mone?if is the latter,its okay,atleast for the harm they caused,so its our own citizen that could be used as specimen not there own people,if they av to test on drug,why dnt they use thier own citizens?west=wickedness
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by okeyxyz(m): 9:38pm On Nov 24, 2010
silami:

[qoute]Quote from: Theblessed on Today at 06:18:15 PM
Why not a $30m Hospital for people in Benin, Calabar, Portharcourt, Enugu, Aba, Benue, Taraba etc, don't they get sick? Don't they deserve quality Hospital as well?  I need an answer!

You know what? You lot can go ahead and vote for them but remember, this time next year you'd be back here again pouring your hearts out due to your own folly.  We shall live to see it, shan't we??
Why can't you read the topic first. The questions i have for you is were the children of these state killed? is Pfizer a northern company?. you are another ethnic bigot we dnt need in Nija.
[quote][/quote]

GBAM!, tell am!
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by texazzpete(m): 10:42pm On Nov 24, 2010
Ifygurl:

Ifygurl:

Did you read what Pzier company did in Nigeria before?
You shouldn't even be advocating for them to come to south or even north self?
This people used innocent children from the north for human experiment (killing alot and leaving others brain dead).
This is a company you wouldn't wish to come near your state or country(I wish they leave Nigeria for good).
BTW, I think they are building the hospital over there out of guilt or something though. IDK

Have you been living under a rock for the past couple of years? It would have helped if you'd actually READ the original post first before commenting.
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by 13volts(m): 11:15pm On Nov 24, 2010
Ifygurl:

Ifygurl:

Ifygurl:

THE HOSPITAL IS FOR THE LIVING NOT THE DEAD. UR DEAD GRAMA RIP IS BETTER OFF 15FT BELOW.
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by MaiSuya(m): 1:59am On Nov 25, 2010
Pfizer are fully aware that had the trial continued, the amount in compensation could well exceed ten times that amount. . .not forgetting the effect a protracted trial could have on its image.

can just imagine Skekarau's mouth watering at the sound $30m. grin

just hope they (pfizr) will continue funding the hosp
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by Nobody: 10:36am On Nov 25, 2010
Hang on a minute.

HANG ON JUST ONE HOT SECOND.

You mean to tell me that this company used Nigerians for death-dealing, disease-unleashing  ''experiments'' for which they were found GUILTY, and then they are now allowed to BUILD A HOSPITAL to treat Nigerians??

I MEAN, WHAT THE FUKK ARE WE TALKING ABOUT HERE

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS IS A JOKE?

Why don't we just literally hand them the guns to shoot us with, since we are so hopelessly STUPPID? TUFIAKWA. WORTHLESS, COLONISED, INFERIORISED, BRAINLESS SLAVES.

The white man must wonder what the hell makes us so EASY and GUILLIBLE for his manipulations.

TUFIAAAA!!! SPIT.
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by vizion: 11:47am On Nov 25, 2010
^^ Now it it the duty of the relevant government agencies to do their job and regulate the industry to ensure that the hospital is not used for un-approved experiments.
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by texazzpete(m): 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Hang on a minute.

HANG ON JUST ONE HOT SECOND.

You mean to tell me that this satanic company used Nigerians for death-dealing, disease-unleashing  ''experiments'' for which they were found GUILTY, and then they are now allowed to BUILD A HOSPITAL to treat Nigerians??

I MEAN, WHAT THE FUKK ARE WE TALKING ABOUT HERE

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS IS A JOKE?

Why don't we just literally hand them the guns to shoot us with, since we are so hopelessly STUPPID? TUFIAKWA. WORTHLESS, COLONISED, INFERIORISED, BRAINLESS SLAVES.

The white man must wonder what the hell makes us so EASY and GUILLIBLE for his manipulations.

TUFIAAAA!!! SPIT.

The OP says they are going to BUILD, not that they are going to STAFF and RUN the hospital. Why are you happier to overreact instead of using your brains?
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by Nobody: 5:48pm On Nov 25, 2010
texxapete said

The OP says they are going to BUILD, not that they are going to STAFF and RUN the hospital. Why are you happier to overreact instead of using your brains?

On the contrary, my dear fool, YOU are the one with NO BRAINS

A firm that has been shown to DELIBERATELY POISON your people is allowed to establish:

''a medical facility - to be equipped with a centre for disease control, a public health laboratory, a diagnostic centre, a micro-biological reference laboratory, '''

No chance of manipulation/sabotage in any of that then.

If you don't trust them to ''run and staff it'', why do you trust them to have ANYTHING AT ALL to do with it

If a Nigerian firm had been found guilty of deliberately poisoning hundreds of white children in America or a European country, do you think they will be allowed to build a hospital there?

Would they even be allowed to operate at all in that country?

HOPELESSLY STUPPID, GULLIBLE DUMMY YOU, and all the thoughtless drones like you, who lose their brains whenever white people are involved,
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by tashanja(m): 7:49pm On Nov 25, 2010
^^^Oga, this na small matter of comprehension. Abeg revise the article and note your comments. Pls, where did it suggest that the company would; own, run or even staff the hospital after it has been built?

The matter seems to be quite straight forward: Pfizer was sued by Kano State Govt for medically harming its children for which the company agreed to settle out of court by compensating the people and govt of that state with a state of the art hospital at the cost of $30M - simple.

I am afraid, your comments and accusations (manipulations/ sabotage) appear more like speculations than factual, sorry no offence.
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by Nobody: 10:38pm On Nov 25, 2010
Dude, how can anything be ''factual'' before its occurrence? Point being that it makes no sense to get a company that's just been convicted for deliberately harming our children to then turn around and ''build a hospital'' for us. The naivety that allows folks like you to go along with such nonsense unquestioningly remains our undoing.

Its like convicting a paedophile for numerous crimes, and then rather than sending him to jail (or in Pfizer's case, permanent exile), you get him to ''settle out of court''. The paedophile is then allowed to build a day care center for kids, complete with scanning equipment and remote video facilities.

Sure it will constitute ''speculation'' to infer the outcome of that hypothetical arrangement, but sensibe people would err on the side of caution.
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by Ifygurl: 5:51am On Nov 26, 2010
ROSSIKE:

texxapete said

On the contrary, my dear fool, YOU are the one with NO BRAINS

A firm that has been shown to DELIBERATELY POISON your people is allowed to establish:

''a medical facility - to be equipped with a centre for disease control, a public health laboratory, a diagnostic centre, a micro-biological reference laboratory, '''

No chance of manipulation/sabotage in any of that then.

If you don't trust them to ''run and staff it'', why do you trust them to have ANYTHING AT ALL to do with it

If a Nigerian firm had been found guilty of deliberately poisoning hundreds of white children in America or a European country, do you think they will be allowed to build a hospital there?

Would they even be allowed to operate at all in that country?

HOPELESSLY STUPPID, GULLIBLE DUMMY YOU, and all the thoughtless drones like you, who lose their brains whenever white people are involved,

Gbam.
This is why Western nations use African repeatedly. We are too gullible. We always complain on how they abuse us yet we are the reason they abuse us. A company responsible for the death of innocent children is the same company you gave the right to build a hosiptal in your country yet there are people here not seeing anything wrong with this.
WTF is wrong with Africans or should i say Nigeria?

texazzpete:

Have you been living under a rock for the past couple of years? It would have helped if you'd actually READ the original post first before commenting.

You are the one hiding under a rock for the past couple years. Anyway read Rossike comments; i couldn't explain it better than she did.

13volts:

THE HOSPITAL IS FOR THE LIVING NOT THE DEAD. your DEAD GRAMA RIP IS BETTER OFF 15FT BELOW.

You obviously did not get the joke. It's actually hilarious you even bolded what you said. LOL. The joke went straight past your head.
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by bababuff(m): 10:21am On Nov 26, 2010
How much is $30 millions, compared to the live of the people they experimented with?  angry angry angry

If this happened in the UK or USA, the company would have been sued for billions of $$$ and probably folded up by now.

They cant even try that with Lagos state. grin
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by tpia5: 4:14pm On Nov 26, 2010
$30 million is small change for a company like pfizer.

hope the hospital will be of international standard?
Re: Pfizer Starts Work On $30m Hospital In Kano by MaiSuya(m): 1:00am On Nov 28, 2010
@Rossike, your rage is understandable, but i have to say, with deepest respect, that its borne out of some little ignorance

Firstly, I'm not aware that pfizer was ever convicted and ''found guilty of deliberately poisoning our children'' (your words). had that been the case, then the figure would have been far higher than the $30million

i cant go into the tortuous history of the case rit now . . .however the summary of it is that abt 100 childern were administered the contentious drug, trovan, as part of what the company described as its humanitarian gesture to assist the nigerian govt control menigitis epidermic in 1996, which as at then had claimed over 10,000 lives in Kano.

only five children died. that it was a result of the drug, as stated in OP's, article has also not been proven.

the fact is, the trovan case was a very messy one involving pfzer as well as highly placed Nigerian officals: aondakaa, Paul orhii etc,so it seems the govt like pfizer were in a hurry to the thing over with; which is why as tpia rightly noted, the settlemnt fee of about $30m is ridiculously small for such a high profile case and a comapny of that size--incidentally the largest pharmaceutical company in the world.

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Effects Of Weed Eg Sk & Ko / How To Cure Apollo Eye Problem / STC30 Treats Sickle Cell Anemia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.