Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,252 members, 7,836,177 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview (11471 Views)

10 Ways To Know A Job Is Not For You / 10 Ways To Reduce Unemployment In Nigeria / A Job Interview@ LASACO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:26am On Dec 12, 2019
When it comes to the recruitment process, a lot of factors come to play. You might be aware of a few, but there is a lot that goes undetected. Even some brilliant people have been found committing these deadly sins that deter them from their dream job.

When I worked in Human Resource Management a few years ago, I discovered that there are numerous mistakes been made by prospective employees. The saddening aspect is that they had what it takes for the position. But because they were unaware of some glaring red signs, they flopped. In this article, I am going to disclose ten deadly sins of interviewing. With this knowledge, you will be able to bomb that job interview.

1. Lying To Your Recruiter

Now, this is the biggest of all sins. A lie they say will beget another lie. No matter how exceptional your skills are, no company hopes to hire a liar. You don’t tell your hiring manager that you resigned from your former job when you were fired. No matter how bad the truth hurts, you have to say it. The fact is, someone is going to verify every claim you make. It will be a futile effort trying to lie your way to a job.

2. Showing-up Late

I think this is a glaring sin. But unfortunately, numerous potential employees keep showing up late to a job interview. We all seem to have a pretty good reason for not showing up early to an event. But to an interview, your excuses are invalid. In order to avoid committing this sin, adequate preparation is required. If you live in a location prone to traffic jams, that means you would have to begin your journey hours earlier.

3. Failing To Do Your Homework

Most applicants are fond of committing this deadly sin. How can you show up for an interview without knowing anything about the company? You are probably going to walk back home without that employment letter. If you need something, you have to work for it. You need to know everything there is about the proposed company and the interviewer. One of the places to find valuable information is the company’s website. Your knowledge about the company is an edge you can exploit.

4. Talking Too Little Or Too Much

When the interviewer poses a question you might not have expected, you don’t need to scrabble around with words and hoping to hit the mark. You don’t also need to say two words and stay mute. Moderation is key! You shouldn’t be seen as being loquacious, nor a dumb. Furthermore, preparing some questions which you will ask gives the interviewer a peek at how you reason and think. You might not master this at a go; you will have to practice to be good.

5. Appearing Desperate

You don’t need to worry yourself about how rough the labor market is, or the unemployment rate in the country. Don’t allow that impact on your interview, making you appear desperate. Companies want a lot of things, but what they fear the most are desperate employees. These desperate fellows can kiss the devil to get what they want. When you are desperate, you project some thoughts to your interview. Trust me; these thoughts are often not good. They often lead to you not getting the job.

6. Dressing Like A Star

The aspect of dressing is a delicate issue among interviewers. But what determines your mode of dressing is the company. You don’t need to dress like someone who is dancing among the stars. It shouldn’t be too short, too clingy, too low-cut, or whatever. Such wardrobe missteps don’t speak well about your personality. Your interviewers don’t only access you based on your words or written performance. Your appearance speaks a lot and is usually one of the enormous criteria used to hire people.

7. Excessive Love Of Self

Confidence is incredible, but you don’t need to be too over the top, or it becomes repulsive. You might have years of experience, skills, etc. Who knows, you might have gotten a few accolades and respect. No matter what you have achieved, you need to treat everyone with respect. That lady you barked at might be the assistant manager. You can never tell! From the gateman to the receptionist, be humble, and treat everyone as warmly as possible.

8. Not Following Up

After an interview, candidates often lay back and relax. While some begin with another job hunt. By failing to follow up on your interviews, you are missing potential employments. HR managers believe that a ‘thank you’ mail can sometimes do the magic. These days, you can easily do that using your email, and it won’t cost you a cent. By such an mail, you show that you’re full of gratitude, even in uncertain situations.

9. Not Having A Weakness

Even Superman has a weakness, so don’t form almighty when asked about your weakness. At that moment, makeup something. Something you can improve on that won’t affect the position you’re applying for. Some hiring manager is fond of throwing this question to applicants. The fact is, it always throws unprepared candidates off guard. By discovering a weakness that you can work on, and that won’t affect the position you’re applying for, you will pass in flying colors.

10. Not Knowing The Job You’re Interviewing For

As funny as it may sound, many applicants often don’t have a position in mind when applying for a job. They show up, hoping to be fixed in any available spot. That is a sin you shouldn’t commit if you’re serious about getting a job. It shows you off as desperate and cheap.

Wrapping Up!

There are numerous deadly sins of interviewing, and they are often the reason many candidates don’t hear back from their potential employer. By knowing these red flags and working on them, you’re less likely to bomb the interview. I wish you good luck!
Source: http://patrickokunima.com/ten-deadly-sins-of-interviewing-top-ways-to-bomb-a-job-interview/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:27am On Dec 12, 2019
Do you know any other common interview mistakes? Feel free to share your thoughts.
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by Zane2point4(m): 7:29am On Dec 12, 2019
I heard a slay queen went for an interview, the HR manager gave her a computer to key in her cv, she told the man she didnt read cv in school grin

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by Roon9(m): 7:30am On Dec 12, 2019
Not Knowing any oga at the top

7 Likes

Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by chinavs9ja(m): 7:30am On Dec 12, 2019
Where is the job self before you start talking about interview undecided I think what should be move to the Fp should be centred on entrepreneurship instead of a Job interview that only exist in the air.

Kindly check my signature

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by SultanOfPuna: 7:31am On Dec 12, 2019
School Prepared you only to be a job hunter and a "yes mam" not entrepreneurs..
You work on another mans company and 80% of the money goes to the boss
They interrogate you before they employ you..lol

After being under control of Teachers
You still under control of Bosses..lol
School na heavy scam
I will home school my Kids
Teach Them about tax,land economics
Teach Them about time and money management
Not Algebra,or find x find y
More Practical Less Textbook Jargons.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 12, 2019
shocked

This people are mean sha.
NEPA no bring light since yesterday sha

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by ReubenE(m): 7:31am On Dec 12, 2019
I don't usually blame those that come here to say it is not about these skills or having a mastery of the whole interview process.
With what I have seen, it is always about knowing people up there, that is not to say the points stated above are not valid.

Even those of us that are employed, are still not happy.
After putting in so much work with dedication, reward for hard work is diverted to those that know people.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by Authoreety: 7:32am On Dec 12, 2019
Watabambam
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by Expert17: 7:33am On Dec 12, 2019
Just know somebody dat have Long Leg...................dats all grin grin
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by superlanny(m): 7:33am On Dec 12, 2019
The title sounded wrong at first, but they are good tips and they will definitely, bring you down if you follow them. I think the best tip if you really want to flip an interview, then dont do research or know about the job or company. You will see how wonderful, you will fail.
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by Authoreety: 7:33am On Dec 12, 2019
macbede:
shocked

Brother, the matter reach una side?

The thing get as e be o

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by money121(m): 7:35am On Dec 12, 2019
Ok
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by DenreleDave(m): 7:37am On Dec 12, 2019
How can you even go for interview when there is no job

Pls i need a job

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by Ebonygirl1(f): 7:37am On Dec 12, 2019
Zane2point4:
I heard a slay queen went for an interview, the HR manager gave her a computer to key in her cv, she told the man she didnt read cv in school grin

Dry.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by DenreleDave(m): 7:37am On Dec 12, 2019
macbede:
shocked
This people are mean sha. NEPA no bring light since yesterday sha

Seriously, same for our place ooooo.. No light
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by DenreleDave(m): 7:38am On Dec 12, 2019
Ebonygirl1:

Dry.

Slay mama spotted... Guess u r d lady

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by gift2xl: 7:41am On Dec 12, 2019
Nice info.
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by deltateam: 7:42am On Dec 12, 2019
Zane2point4:

Dry. embarassed
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by deltateam: 7:49am On Dec 12, 2019
DenreleDave:
How can you even go for interview when there is no job

Pls i need a job

I will ask you some questions. If you are honest with me. Jobs will look for you.

First do you have a CV?
What email did you use for your CV?
Do you have experience on the job you are searching for?
What course did you study?
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by VanTee20(m): 7:54am On Dec 12, 2019
Zane2point4:

Very dry.
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by Hallabee1(m): 7:55am On Dec 12, 2019
Zane2point4:

Holy ghost brother Jesu
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by DenreleDave(m): 8:02am On Dec 12, 2019
deltateam:

I will ask you some questions. If you are honest with me. Jobs will look for you.

First do you have a CV?
What email did you use for your CV?
Do you have experience on the job you are searching for?
What course did you study?

I have an updated CV
My main Gmail account
Yes I have experience in it
Banking and finance

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by Bigval5: 8:06am On Dec 12, 2019
Are you a graduate? And you finding it hard to get jobs?
Have you been applying and you haven't been called for an interview? Worry no more, just check out below

Our web is primarily designed to serve meticulously Job applicants, on how to apply for job vacancies and get employed by sending free verified job vacancies to all our visitors and do preliminary interview to trained them on how to answer interview questions.

Pls check us out below We are available to service at your convenience. Thank you
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by thundafire: 8:17am On Dec 12, 2019
Forget Nigeria is scattered only dey rich get it and very few people out der who are not from Rich families have it country spoil in 1978
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by Appswheel(m): 8:30am On Dec 12, 2019
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by Ebonygirl1(f): 8:39am On Dec 12, 2019
DenreleDave:

Slay mama spotted... Guess u r d lady
I'm not a "slay mama" and I'm pretty sure I can use a computer better than you.
NEXT!!
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by Nobody: 8:41am On Dec 12, 2019
I'm working on these things
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by DenreleDave(m): 8:42am On Dec 12, 2019
Ebonygirl1:
I'm not a "slay mama" and I'm pretty sure I can use a computer better than you. NEXT!!
Take that to the bank dear
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by Lion21(m): 8:42am On Dec 12, 2019
A lot has really gone wrong in this country . Getting a job in Nigeria is not all about what you study in school nor your experience. Have seen someone who study linguistic and works in a bank . The sector is ruin if you apply for any job and you no get oga at the top lol u re on your own . Do you have idea how many young ladies molested in the name of job hunting . Let's just pray for grace for me come 2020 find a way and japaaa or be creative .
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by deltateam: 9:05am On Dec 12, 2019
[quote author=DenreleDave post=84840843]

Does your email bear your real name?

Why I am saying this is your nairaland handle is a turn off. Denrele although popular might cut out to some as a wacko.

Go to Facebook and search for job listings in your field. Maintain contact with some staffs in different banks, should something comeup.
Re: Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview by IbitsonReloaded(m): 9:13am On Dec 12, 2019
macbede:
shocked

Nepa dey on strike, the strike started yesterday

(1) (2) (Reply)

N-EXIT: How To Fix "Local Govt Tab" Issues / Coronation Merchant Bank 2022 Graduate Trainee / Lets Build Your CV For You to get that dream Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.