Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,321 members, 7,829,793 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery (62983 Views)

JAMB Score For Medicine, Is 248 Okay? / Will I Get Medicine & Surgery In EKSU With 284 As JAMB Score? / JAMB 2023 Cut Off Mark for Medicine, Law, Engineering, Accounting etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by horpeyemmi66(m): 7:32pm On Dec 19, 2019
Elzak:
This is not a strange thing as far as ABU is concerned and her score is not as high as you are thinking considering she's seeking admission to study medicine and in ABU, one of the best universities in Nigeria.

The quota for medicine is so little in all medical schools compared to the number of aspirants gunning for medicine bringing in competition. The competition becomes more stiff when one applies the top universities. So you don't expect them to admit everybody who just passed cut off mark.

All federal universities use quota system in which admission is based on catchment area, ELDS and merit and preference is given to catchment areas.

If you are not from a state within the catchment area of ABU you have to score the highest in your state before you can gain admission to study medicine in ABU. For instance, if A scores 320 from a non catchment state and B scores 319 from the same non catchment state, only A will be admitted into medicine.

It may interest you to know that ABU doesn't use O'level as criterion to give admission rendering her As almost useless. They use what they call average; the sum of your score in jamb's UTME and ABU's post utme divided by two. That means her average is 288.

This is small to fetch medicine in ABU even if she's from a catchment state.

Let's be guided please

2 Likes

Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by cosmos1440: 7:36pm On Dec 19, 2019
Gratefulll:
Since she's not from that Region. Even the President is known for doing that too.

Olodo,
How do you know she is not from that region ?
Because she is a christian ?
So you don't know there are Hausa & Northern Christians who are indigenes of Kaduna state ?
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Nobody: 7:54pm On Dec 19, 2019
masseratti:
this does not make sense, you don't change the rule during the match, before you set a cutoff mark you ought to know what they scored, catchment area thing can not supercede someone that beats the cut off mark.. This school is a disgrace to education... Point blank.

The thing is that she is not even highest in her own state, talk more of other states.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Jolomillions: 7:59pm On Dec 19, 2019
[color=#770077][/color]
Gratefulll:
Since she's not from that Region. Even the President is known for doing that too.
Really
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Sekolowo1: 8:01pm On Dec 19, 2019
Riplogic:
Aliyu Ammani
A Little More Light
My attention was drawn, by a very good friend, to the story making the rounds, that a certain Goodness Thomas was denied admission by the ABU to read for the degree of MBBS despite scoring 302 in the last UTME.
I made some inquiries about the matter and wish to share my findings with you dear friends.
However, before I do so, let us understand a thing or two about University admission process.
The minimum requirements for University admissions is credit pass in at least 5 subjects including English and Mathematics. This being the minimum requirements does not suggest that a student with distinctions in 6 subjects including English and Mathematics must be admitted.
There are other requirements, and circumstances, that guide the admission process apart from meeting the minimum requirements eg the attainments and performances of other candidates.
Now let's take a look at the case of Goodness Thomas.
She scored 302 in the UTME exams, and 274 in the Post UTME. Thus having an average of 288 out of a maximum of 400 points.
The Ahmadu Bello University has as its catchment area the entire 19 States of Northern Nigeria, being an indigene of Kogi State she belongs to the fold.
However, in the last UTME, more than 20 Kogi State indigenes that applied to ABU for MBBS had scores of 320 or more.
So what do you suggest the University should do? Jump over all those other candidates that had higher scores from her State to give her admission? Admit her alongside all those that scored higher than her in the examination from the same state with her?
The University offered her admission for BSc Human Anatomy.
Remember there is a very low limit to the number of students that can be admitted for MBBS; it is the most competitive programme of study in Nigerian universities.
Which University can afford to give admission to all those that crossed the minimum requirements line?
The Ahmadu Bello University is, I stand to be corrected, the only truly national University in Nigeria today, going by the geographical spread of its staff and students. As our former Vice Chancellor, the late Professor Adamu Nayaya Muhammed of blessed memory was fond of saying "there is no local government area in Nigeria that is not represented in ABU”
This is just an attempt to throw a little more light on the issue. It is not in anyway 'speaking' for the University.
Aliyu Ammani
U/Shanu Kaduna
19/12/19
This explains everything

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by MoIbrahim: 8:03pm On Dec 19, 2019
Rubbish
Honestly *the person who wrote this piece “Injustice to one is injustice to all” is completely ignorant of the process of admission in Ahmadu Bello University Zaria,* for those of us that wrote Jamb 3 times passed all and failed to secure admission whom also are from the catchment area of the University felt the same way but later got to understand the process & how it works!

There are some unique facts about ABU that we must appreciate which includes among so many others; ABU is the most cosmopolitan University in the whole of Africa not even Nigeria �� it’s no news that ABU Zr has students from each and every of the 774 local governments in �� which makes it a mini ��.

When it comes to teaching staff, ABU is the only record holder of having atleast 1 senior staff from each and every of the 36 states in Nigeria and it has remained so till date. So in essence not even the University of Abuja that is in the heart of Nigeria can boast of having students from all the 774 local governments or a staff from each of the 36 states in the Country. Then we should be proud of ABU Zr.

I can personally attest to the fact that in each and every Departmental admission guideline clearly spells out three criteria’s and is religiously adhered to which includes: 1. Merrit list 45% of the total students admitted to the dept (Atleast 2 to 3 students with the highest score from each state). 2. Catchment area list 35% (like any other university in Nigeria ABU considers students from its selected States as it catchment area). & 3. Less Educationally developed states list 20% (in other to give candidates in some selected states that are not as educationally developed as the others a chance to be in ABU as they are at a disadvantage and cannot stand their colleagues from the opposite side) which makes 100% for each department and in doing this no state is left out. Please tell me which other University in Nigeria can say same of their institution? I’ll tell U the answer for free “NONE”.

As regards the case of one *Goodness Thomas, she would have made it for the MBBS Merit list from her state but unfortunately she was number 7 on the list in terms of jamb score from Niger state* and only the first two were picked as it is in d case with all other 36 states and the FCT, she also wouldn’t have made it for the 2nd & 3rd criteria for admission as the number from the Medical and Dental Board limits ABU MBBS to only 120students per session so please do the maths how would U have admitted Goodness into MBBS and justify it even if U are on the admissions committee?

It is also important that I call the attention of the writer of this mischievous piece, that Goodness Thomas was quick to change her 1st choice to ‘Anatomy’ from MBBS seeing she didn’t make the 1st list and she was admitted in the 2nd list of admission which she accepted gladly and quickly, so why are people been mischievous and sharing very wrong information on social media?

I have seen the list of about 25 candidates this year alone from Kwara, Benue and Kogi states who scored above 300 and didn’t make the list for MBBS but unfortunately their representatives don’t have social media handles to speak out on their behalf.

This year alone ABU received more than 40,000 qualified candidates which is the largest number of applicants for any university in Nigeria and Jamb gave ABU the clearance to take in 11,000 candidates which is also the highest number any university is taking in this year, so who will speak for the over 29,000 qualified candidates? Even ASUU is crying that accademic staff are over stretched due to the number of lecturer to student at the moment.

As it stands, ABU is among the 1st generation of universities in Nigeria and there has been plans from the management under the leadership of Prof. Ibrahim Garba with support from the Nigerian Universities Commission (NUC) and the Ministry of Education for ABU Zr to Migrate into a fully pledged Post-Graduate University and that can only happen if the number of undergraduates intake is cut by more than half the number its currently taking in.

So please let’s call all mischief makers to order and if anyone has any issue on admission of a candidate to write to the University rather than embarking on campaign of calmuny on social media to dent the reputation of a University we all hold Dear.

Abubakar A Rafindadi

sweetonugbu:
Northern Nigeria thrives on mediocrity, see the kind of president they gave us, someone who never address Nigerians or Nigerian press directly what we are always hearing is this.
The president was ATTRIBUTED saying that no no haram has been defeated
As narrated by Garba shehu he said Mr president when he was about going to his private quarters made this statement
As was narrated by Lai Muhammad the president said that the boko haram sect has been technically defeated he was in London when he made the statement
As was narrated by Demi Adeshina the president was sitting down and was watching the super eagles match when he said that and I quote" insha Allah boko wil
l be defeated
As narrated by Lorita onochie, it was when members of ohaneze came to see him with some Palm wine in daura that he said boko harms was collaborating with IPOB to destabilize the country but they are on their way to be defeated, he was on his palour
And this statement was made same day, our president is a DEITY

6 Likes

Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by masseratti: 8:05pm On Dec 19, 2019
Riplogic:

The thing is that she is not even highest in her own state, talk more of other states.
point is they should av consider that... Does the university understand the meaning of cut off mark at all?
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Sekolowo1: 8:08pm On Dec 19, 2019
Oma307:

oga, no carry your vexation upon this matter. the true of the matter be say RELIGION IS DIVIDING THIS NATION. she worth the admission
To u 302 may be good but lemme tell u there're better scores. U don't av to be sentimental about it. Better performing candidates might av come 4rm her state of origin. Leave tribe/religion out of this and face d reality of life
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Awoo88: 8:10pm On Dec 19, 2019
She is not a Muslim probably from Kaduna South
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by 9gerian: 8:14pm On Dec 19, 2019
cheesy

Gratefulll:
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Majesty08: 8:18pm On Dec 19, 2019
She is stupid, who is gonna give her admission to study Medicine and surgery, go back to akwa ibom!
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by AreaFada2: 8:27pm On Dec 19, 2019
adedayourt:

No I didn't, am in my ouz coman best me!!!
Just wait. I am sending some macho men to come panel beat you. grin cheesy cheesy grin
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by nedekid: 8:34pm On Dec 19, 2019
themonk:
The question is what happened and why she was denied admission. She has a very high score. You cannot tell me that everyone that got admission into that course had above 302, NOT POSSIBLE!

Most times we keep shouting injustice because we want to trend and forget to ask for the full story. Let us ask what happened first, was it ethincity motivated or because she is female or what? Then we know where to head from there.

I'm saying this because I don't see any special reason the school will deny her admission.
Probably quota system.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Suremikky(m): 8:35pm On Dec 19, 2019
mrvitalis:

302 is not enough for medicine in unn its 310 ...she can't say a whole ABU would cut 250 for med surgery thats a big lie

Thea same ABU admit people with as low as 210 who are connected into the same course so wat are u talking about..please don’t come here and argue wat u don’t know
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Nwaonyishi69: 8:35pm On Dec 19, 2019
That is future we are creating and hope will take us anywhere better than Sudan.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by VULCAN(m): 8:38pm On Dec 19, 2019
Just wait ABU is sending emissaries to your house to help you "see" why she was refused admission since you are blind to the Nepotic regime that is ruling Nigeria.

You have a President that makes 95% appointments from Fulani and you want someone in govt to come to your house and tell you the reason why this brilliant Christian girl was refused admission

themonk:
The question is what happened and why she was denied admission. She has a very high score. You cannot tell me that everyone that got admission into that course had above 302, NOT POSSIBLE!

Most times we keep shouting injustice because we want to trend and forget to ask for the full story. Let us ask what happened first, was it ethincity motivated or because she is female or what? Then we know where to head from there.

I'm saying this because I don't see any special reason the school will deny her admission.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by mrvitalis(m): 8:39pm On Dec 19, 2019
Suremikky:

Thea same ABU admit people with as low as 210 who are connected into the same course so wat are u talking about..please don’t come here and argue wat u don’t know
That is Allowed ...but if u have no one fight for merit
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Suremikky(m): 8:40pm On Dec 19, 2019
Yankee101:
You'll see hausa kids with 200 + studying same medicine there

I have seen that on countless occasion..allow those who don’t live in the north to be spewing rubbish just because they thing they know everything about admission
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Ajibel(m): 8:44pm On Dec 19, 2019
Patrioticman007:

What of Hausa/Fulani students ?.

I've met a few of them. There's even a mosque where they congregate
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Onlyonebuhari: 8:45pm On Dec 19, 2019
sweetonugbu:
Northern Nigeria thrives on mediocrity, see the kind of president they gave us, someone who never address Nigerians or Nigerian press directly what we are always hearing is this.
The president was ATTRIBUTED saying that no no haram has been defeated
As narrated by Garba shehu he said Mr president when he was about going to his private quarters made this statement
As was narrated by Lai Muhammad the president said that the boko haram sect has been technically defeated he was in London when he made the statement
As was narrated by Demi Adeshina the president was sitting down and was watching the super eagles match when he said that and I quote" insha Allah boko wil
l be defeated
As narrated by Lorita onochie, it was when members of ohaneze came to see him with some Palm wine in daura that he said boko harms was collaborating with IPOB to destabilize the country but they are on their way to be defeated, he was on his palour
And this statement was made same day, our president is a DEITY

You are too stupid to reason like human. Am a Dr at ABUTH tell the girl to approach the admission office on Monday and I promise to help her if this info is genuine.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by IzzyyUnique: 8:47pm On Dec 19, 2019
delpee:
This is very unfair except if ABU has some other meaningful reason which I can't think of now. Perhaps she should do change of institution and try another university.

That's to avoid victimisation if she gets into ABU.

I don't think it's ban anyway. A friend of mine got denied even with her 323 in UI, same medicine. so, Kini big deal
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Amozever12: 8:54pm On Dec 19, 2019
adedayourt:
Maybe her waec no qualify her
How else will her WAEC qualify her after 6A1 in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, e.t.c?? Bros, comment only after reading the topic properly

1 Like

Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by nicewoody6: 8:58pm On Dec 19, 2019
themonk:

This isn't strange. I have seen it before. I know of someone who graduated from UNIBEN that suffered the same fate. Those in charge of admission were busy collecting money from lobbyists who had the biggest money bag and they forgot to take into cognisance those who should be given admission on merit grounds.

Like I earlier said, I have seen this before and it even inspired one of my short stories. http://Books2read.com/my-academic-pursuit-the-tears-and-the-joy

Watch and see what the VC will do now.

It is a shame. In many public offices in Nigeria, it is almost impossible to obtain anything without greasing palms. The best brains are constantly not encouraged. Even in work places, it's all the same. The hard working ones are constantly denied promotion while the empty headed lobbyists are always promoted. Welcome to Nigeria brilliant one but be rest assured that your admission is now sealed as the world would not allow this menace to pass.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Rajosh(m): 9:05pm On Dec 19, 2019
adedayourt:
Maybe her waec no qualify her
She got 6As. Wetin dey want make she do again.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Nobody: 9:06pm On Dec 19, 2019
I am totally confused and not sure how to opine here. Excuse my naivete but I need a clarification: I did not know that In Nigeria, Human Anatomy is a separate and distinct major (course of study) from Medicine. While I was in Grad School, I took alot of the classes that are required for first and second year Medical students (Gross Anatomy, Microbilogy, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Histology, Physiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Genetics, Oncology, etc) and had them paid for by the school since I was a TA (Teaching Assistant) and on stipend because I had intended to go to Medical School. But I changed my mind afterall (due to the length of time required including residency) and went to Law School instead after grad school. I said all these simply because the author of the article stated that the litte girl who scored 302 in Jamb was denied her choice of study, which was Medicine but instead offered Human Anatomy. Here in the US, Anatomy is one of the classes that Med students have to take along with the Lab. So, I am really confused and would like someone to enlighten me here with the system in Nigeria. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Clazzone(m): 9:07pm On Dec 19, 2019
LagosEconomist:
A girl like that should not settle for ABU.

The world is her oyster. She or her parents should get in touch.
Sincerely, that's one thing UI don't do, in fact you don't need to know anyone before you are given admission, they believe so much in meritocracy.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Kfed4ril(m): 9:23pm On Dec 19, 2019
sevo:
When her name is not hauwa or Aisha..why will they give her admission... Don't be surprised...they might even offer her Islamic education instead!!

Lol
Or Islamic medicine.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by mamaafrik(m): 9:25pm On Dec 19, 2019
Patrioticman007:

You jumped a post explaining, why she was refused admission, due to the fact that hundreds of students scored higher marks than her. Secondly FCT minister, appointment is at the discretion of Mr President, if GEJ the Clueless & OBJ the incest master, choose not to appoint a southerner due to their higher tendencies to corruption, why blame Northerners ?.
Thirdly rearing of animals is an human right thing in our constitution, for any tribe and at any place, however 70% of ipobian assets are in Northern Nigeria while, ordinary cows & goats you cannot tolerate, I fear una oooo.
i no get your time
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by maasoap(m): 9:26pm On Dec 19, 2019
mamaafrik:
Nothing good comes out of that region called Northern Nigeria,if you have seen any tell me, they will desire Hospitality from southern for the Fulanis to rear goat and cow but will discriminate against a southerner in Allocating a southerner as the Minister of FCT,army recruitment,And University admission and e.t.c

Honestly speaking, I don't know what mean by that statement.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by mamaafrik(m): 9:27pm On Dec 19, 2019
Madas1986:

What able your region will they offer we the Northern even the course for admission pls dont be Bias
if how many Northerner you see for South here with intelligence and passion for education,i no get ur time too
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by maasoap(m): 9:28pm On Dec 19, 2019
Clazzone:

Sincerely, that's one thing UI don't do, in fact you don't need to know anyone before you are given admission, they believe so much in meritocracy.

Who is telling you this lie? Lol
Every school has merit list and has connection list

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Kenyan Trying To Mock Nigeria English / Reactions As SS3 Student Buys Benz / Why Patience Jonathan’s Security Aide Was Killed — Leadership

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.