Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,342 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Is Christainity A Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Christainity A Religion? (1166 Views)

Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? / Why I Want to Abandon Christainity! / Any Muslims Who Converted To Christainity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Christainity A Religion? by lordbayor(m): 10:35am On Nov 29, 2010
I am oblige to ask this question that most people has been using, Is Christianity or even Islam a Religion?
Re: Is Christainity A Religion? by Jenwitemi(m): 11:19am On Nov 29, 2010
Yes, they both are religions.

Next!
lordbayor:

I am oblige to ask this question that most people has been using, Is Christianity or even Islam a Religion?
Re: Is Christainity A Religion? by blueeagle(f): 11:38am On Nov 29, 2010
i do not agree that christiantity is a religion, however i cant speak for islam because i'm not a muslim.

Now the reason why i say that xtainity is not a religion is that our Lord Jesus never came to exstablish a religion but rather He came to show, teach us a way of life.

xtainity is the way we live our everyday life to the glory of GOD.
Re: Is Christainity A Religion? by Ymodulus: 1:35pm On Nov 29, 2010
blue eagle:

i do not agree that christiantity is a religion, however i cant speak for islam because i'm not a muslim.

Now the reason why i say that xtainity is not a religion is that our Lord Jesus never came to exstablish a religion but rather He came to show, teach us a way of life.

u said it all
Re: Is Christainity A Religion? by PastorAIO: 2:00pm On Nov 29, 2010
Christianity as practiced by many that I know is not a religion. Considering that Religion should re-connect you to God then most christianity is just a farce.

blue eagle:

Do you practice the teachings of Jesus in your everyday life? Really??

Please think about my question before you answer it.
Re: Is Christainity A Religion? by Mudley313: 2:03pm On Nov 29, 2010
Yes. In it's broadest sense, religion is a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny and the practices and institutions associated with such belief. Religion takes many forms but world religions are dominated by a group of organized religious belief systems and organizations of which Christianity, in all of its forms, is the most common. The Christian religion, was founded on the life and teachings of Jesus. Although religious belief is extremely personal and means different things to different people, by definition Christianity is most definitely a religion.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Christianity_a_religion

i know you feel it somehow cheapens your whole delusion, but sorry, christianity most definitely is a religion in every sense of the word (although i see it as more of a cult). even your bible tells you so

* Acts 26:5 “They have known for a long time, if they are willing to testify, that according to the strictest party of our religion I have lived as a Pharisee.“

* 1 Tim 2:10 “, but by good deeds, as befits women who profess religion.

* 1 Tim 3:16 “Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of our religion: He was manifested in the flesh, vindicated in the Spirit, seen by angels, preached among the nations, believed on in the world, taken up in glory, “

* 2 Tim 3:5 “, holding the form of religion but denying the power of it. Avoid such people.“

* Titus 2:12 “training us to renounce irreligion and worldly passions, and to live sober, upright, and godly lives in this world“

* James 1:26 “If any one thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this man's religion is vain."

* James 1:27 “Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."
Re: Is Christainity A Religion? by PastorAIO: 2:10pm On Nov 29, 2010
Mudley313:

Yes. In it's broadest sense, religion is a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny and the practices and institutions associated with such belief. Religion takes many forms but world religions are dominated by a group of organized religious belief systems and organizations of which Christianity, in all of its forms, is the most common. The Christian religion, was founded on the life and teachings of Jesus. Although religious belief is extremely personal and means different things to different people, by definition Christianity is most definitely a religion.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Christianity_a_religion

i know you feel it somehow cheapens your whole delusion, but sorry, christianity most definitely is a religion in every sense of the word (although i see it as more of a cult). even your bible tells you so

* Acts 26:5 “They have known for a long time, if they are willing to testify, that according to the strictest party of our religion I have lived as a Pharisee.“

* 1 Tim 2:10 “, but by good deeds, as befits women who profess religion.

* 1 Tim 3:16 “Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of our religion: He was manifested in the flesh, vindicated in the Spirit, seen by angels, preached among the nations, believed on in the world, taken up in glory, “

* 2 Tim 3:5 “, holding the form of religion but denying the power of it. Avoid such people.“

* Titus 2:12 “training us to renounce irreligion and worldly passions, and to live sober, upright, and godly lives in this world“

* James 1:26 “If any one thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this man's religion is vain."

* James 1:27 “Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."

Mudley, you need to understand that whatever it is that you might think of religion or christianity, these people do not actually practice it. So when they say theirs is 'not a religion but a way of life' they are absolutely right and they know what they are talking about.
Re: Is Christainity A Religion? by lordbayor(m): 2:44pm On Nov 29, 2010
blue eagle:

Well though am a christian but if u look closely , both are not religion, Firstly we have to understand what the word religion means and why it been  used

Meaning of Religion :Religion is a fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a group of people. These set of beliefs concern the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, and involve devotional and ritual observances. They also often contain a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Now just in the bible there was never any place it made mention of the word religion, but the word Christian appeared just only in 3 place in the bible(Acts 11:26;Acts 26:28;1 Peter 4:16) if we take a closer look at Acts 26:4 it says that the Jews has known him os of the Jews Religion so we can see what is a Religion there because , the Israeli were born a Jew and as a non Jew we were born a Gentiles , but the moment we give our life to Christ we no more become a Gentile but rather we function in the like hood of Christ , that why in Acts 11:26 it says that after they have taught and the people saw the way and act they used in it the concluded that they are Christian , Now the people in Antioch weren't Jew, they were told about Jesus Christ, they were taught about him , and when they saw how and what the Apostle did and was doing they came into a conclusion that they were like Christ meaning Christian ,

Now you see what Christian really means it is a WAY OF LIFE simply because as i said , you weren't born a Christian but a gentile so we have to come into the life of God before we can become a christian and that is by been Born Again so we are born of God when we give our life to Christ therefor we are to act like Christ  , that why in Deu 7:6 and 1peter 2:9 says same thing
Re: Is Christainity A Religion? by Jenwitemi(m): 3:15pm On Nov 29, 2010
All this one na long tory. Every religion has; a central doctrine based on a central scripture, a deity or deities of worship, tenets, places of worship, rituals of worship, clergy, and most importantly, masses of believers/adherents/worshipers of varying sizes. Christianity has all of the aforementioned so how can it not be a religion?

Is it a way of life? It most probably is, just like Shango worshiping is a way of life, but that does not take away the fact that christianity is primarily a religion. Besides, the universal existence of all living organisms is a way of life, so what's the big deal? Everything is a way of life, folks. Sorry.
Re: Is Christainity A Religion? by PastorAIO: 3:39pm On Nov 29, 2010
lordbayor:

Well though am a christian but if u look closely , both are not religion, Firstly we have to understand what the word religion means and why it been  used

Meaning of Religion :Religion is a fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a group of people. These set of beliefs concern the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, and involve devotional and ritual observances. They also often contain a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Now just in the bible there was never any place it made mention of the word religion, but the word Christian appeared just only in 3 place in the bible(Acts 11:26;Acts 26:28;1 Peter 4:16) if we take a closer look at Acts 26:4 it says that the Jews has known him os of the Jews Religion so we can see what is a Religion there because ,  the Israeli were born a Jew and as a non Jew we were born a Gentiles ,  but the moment we give our life to Christ we no more become a Gentile but rather we function in the like hood of Christ , that why in Acts 11:26 it says that after they have taught and the people saw the way and act they used in it the concluded that they are Christian ,  Now the people in Antioch weren't Jew, they were told about Jesus Christ,  they were taught about him ,  and when they saw how and what the Apostle did and was doing they came into a conclusion that they were like Christ meaning Christian ,

Now you see what Christian really means it is a WAY OF LIFE simply because as i said , you weren't born a Christian but a gentile so we have to come into the life of God before we can become a christian and that is by been Born Again so we are born of God when we give our life to Christ therefor we are to act like Christ  ,  that why in Deu 7:6 and 1peter 2:9 says same thing

This one no dey read the thread before he just jump in and start posting erroneous irrelevancies.  In fact the word religion does occur in the bible numerous time.  Please read the previous posts.
Re: Is Christainity A Religion? by UyiIredia(m): 4:43pm On Nov 29, 2010
@ Mudley >>> kudos

@ topic >>> yes/no >>> depends on how you want to look at it
Re: Is Christainity A Religion? by bashydemy(m): 6:18pm On Nov 29, 2010
Well am not sure is a religion due to how it was practice lately just like a mere bussiness
Re: Is Christainity A Religion? by daylae(m): 7:44pm On Nov 29, 2010
When christians say christianity is not a religion,it is to clearly distinguish it from the notion people have about earthly religion in compact. Islam,jadaism,hinduism,buddahism,and others are base on human efforts to reconnect with God through good works,good moral value,giving alms,and soberness. But christianity on the other hand,is God,knowing that all our good works and worships does not qualify us to regain our right with him because of the nature of sin we carry,he offered us a sure way,which is jesus. Christianity is trusting on God through jesus for salvation and the forgiveness of sin. And it is true him only,because he has paid the price for us. No one cometh to the father,but by him. All earthly religion are the same,christianity differs because of this fact.
Re: Is Christainity A Religion? by bashydemy(m): 12:00am On Nov 30, 2010
^^^ stop deceiving your self wish sins have been paid for? are you not still sinning ? are you talking about the father that turn blind eyes and deaf hear to the cry os his only son on the cross of Calvary is it the same father that give his son away to be killed by enemy, pls come up with another story
Re: Is Christainity A Religion? by daylae(m): 2:39am On Nov 30, 2010
^^I understand your rage, bashy;and i know how confusing this things can be to those like you,who are yet to open their heart to recieve its understanding.

Even though there is no perfection in men,and we all are just thriving towards it;christians tap their strength from the absolute perfection of christ. And through him,we are vindicated and blameless before God,to whom all sins are comitted. He also tranforms us through the power of the holy spirit,that we may walk into perfection. Only those who reject him are put to blame.
Re: Is Christainity A Religion? by bashydemy(m): 7:55am On Nov 30, 2010
^^ you neve still Answer my questions about the father who have his only son to be killed by enemy. father who turn deaf hears and blind eyes to the cry of his son on the cross of Calvary?
can you explain this my God my God why has thou forsaken me and God it would have been better if you could move this cup over me

(1) (Reply)

Mystery Woman Appears On Mosque Minaret / Breaking News: Pope Benedict XVI Sends His First Tweet Today / Is Mastubation A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.