Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,659 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! (91167 Views)

NAFDAC: Mama Put Food Sellers Are NOW Using PARACETAMOL To Cook / Nigerians Use Paracetamol To Cook Meat: Concern As More People Use It / Siji Olamiji And Egbemode: Using Paracetamol, Bleach To Process Garri Is Deadly (2) (3) (4)

Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by prof2007: 1:24pm On Dec 26, 2019
There are reports of many people (especially food vendors) using paracetamol to cook meat. Their reason for this is to quickly tenderize the meat and avoid long boiling times.

However, putting paracetamol into food has very serious health implications. When the drug is used for cooking, it is hydrolyzed (broken down) into 4-aminophenol, which is highly toxic to the kidney. Also, high consumption of analgesics over many years is a well-known cause of kidney damage.

Paracetamol poisoning usually causes liver failure which may also be accompanied by acute renal failure. High doses of aspirin or paracetamol can cause acute renal failure. Therefore (for health reasons), use of paracetamol for tenderizing meat must be highly discouraged.

Toughness of meat comes from the collagen (the connective tissues). During cooking it slowly breaks down into a substance called gelatin, and the meat becomes soft.

Without using paracetamol, you can tenderize meat by:
1. Cooking with a pressure cooker.
2. Brining (salting). This involves soaking the meat in a highly concentrated salt-water solution, typically for about 20 hours, before cooking.
3. Slicing the meat. This helps to sever muscle fibres and thereby hastens softening while cooking.
4. Pounding meat (e.g. with a mallet) before cooking.
5. Marinating (soaking) with acid in the form of vinegar, citrus juices or wine before cooking.
6. Marinating with enzymes. Pineapple, kiwi, ginger, Asian pear and pawpaw contain enzymes that can help tenderize meat.
7. Velveting the meat. This involves coating/soaking pieces of meat in a mixture of cornstarch, rice wine, salt, sugar, egg whites, and sometimes soy sauce, for about 30-45 minutes before cooking.
8. Slow-cooking the meat.
9. Using commercial meat tenderizers, which are sold in powder or liquid form. They should only be used sparingly, to avoid the meat becoming unpleasantly soft.

If you know anybody that uses paracetamol for softening meat, please advise them to desist forthwith!

This is an original article, published here for the first time.

290 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by dominique(f): 1:42pm On Dec 26, 2019
I'm hearing of that for the first time. I know they use potash to quickly soften the meat but I've never heard of paracetamol. That's all shades of wrong. We like taking too many shortcuts in this country

357 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by drips8(m): 1:44pm On Dec 26, 2019
Mad ooooo

196 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by czarina(f): 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2019
They won't kill us in this country.

81 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Humphrizy(m): 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2019
There is nothing wey musa no go see for gate undecided

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by simplyOJ(m): 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2019
Really shocked This may also contribute to the large number of organ failure been reported currently. Na wa for restaurant people; you just have to be poisoning people Sha!

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by elotajohn1(m): 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2019
Dem use paracetamol boil meat and use sugar cook beans ati yam.

Guys go come smoke weed after eating cry cry cry

176 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Aderewah: 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2019
I command you to like this comment.

96 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by SpatialKing(m): 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2019
Are you serious

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Nobody: 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2019
How do you even feel breaking tablets of medicine into your food..

Even if they dont educate you, does it look normal..

230 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by skyfaze(m): 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2019
Nothing musa no go see

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by TundeCole(m): 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2019
What is this one i'm hearing again o?

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by aadoiza: 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2019
Naija for show

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by valves: 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2019
I don't know what somebody will not hear in this life.

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Nobody: 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2019
Nigerians and shortcut, na wa for us o. More and more people would come down with kidney problems. On a good day we pop pcm like sweets , now add this one join. Paracetamol shouldn't normally exceed 8 tablets a day else the risk of kidney damage increases.

dominique:
I'm hearing of that for the first time. I know they use potash to quickly soften the meat but I've never heard of paracetamol. That's all shades of wrong
Potash is equally harmful.
Raises the level of potassium in the blood which could damage the kidneys and also cause a heart condition called cardiomyopathy

84 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by ademi87(m): 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2019
Hmmmm... Nkan nbe

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Nickshrapnel: 1:46pm On Dec 26, 2019
T
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Pavore9: 1:46pm On Dec 26, 2019
Sad and not just only Nigeria as it is also an issue in some other African countries where some use it to hasten the cooking of beans and maize.

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by bolafez(m): 1:46pm On Dec 26, 2019
people are wicked saa

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Pusyiter(m): 1:46pm On Dec 26, 2019
Wetin Hassan no go hear for Gusau

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by punisha: 1:46pm On Dec 26, 2019
sad

Thank God I have left Nigeria and returned back to my village. No be only paracetamol, na to use Andrews liver salt too. Ndi iberibe.

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Louisananda7(m): 1:46pm On Dec 26, 2019
I don't believe this story, please op you can do better.

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Hollysaint: 1:46pm On Dec 26, 2019
I think pommo is the type of meat they mean.

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by TLION(m): 1:46pm On Dec 26, 2019
So many Bad things happening

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by kollinz1234(m): 1:46pm On Dec 26, 2019
Nothing one will not see or hear.
Me I have made up my mind that come 2020 if God keeps me alive, I will not eat outside or in any eatery or restaurant again, thank God am getting married soon. With the way I have eating outside this year 2019, am sure I have had a lot of storage things in my belly. Imagine I have not made food by myself for over 8-9 months now

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by AlphikkaTech: 1:46pm On Dec 26, 2019
Up
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by backT(m): 1:46pm On Dec 26, 2019
Let me book space grin

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Okpesky(m): 1:47pm On Dec 26, 2019
We are finished

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Callmemike(m): 1:47pm On Dec 26, 2019
All for the money. With no regard to life. This is totally unacceptable. In all we do, let us avoid the tendency to rake in as much as possible at the expense of others. The Golden Rule "Whatever you want men to do to you, do the same to them".

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Moneytize: 1:47pm On Dec 26, 2019
Na wa o shocked

Coronavirus: 4 New Cases In Lagos, Nigeria Confirmed By State Ministry Of Health / Stretch Marks Removal Procedure Goes Wrong, Lady Cries Out (Graphic Photo, Video / How Chinese Prevent Themselves And Their Pets From Catching Coronavirus(Pis)