Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,148 members, 7,849,576 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 02:51 AM

Question About Yoruba Language - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Question About Yoruba Language (516 Views)

Yoruba Dad Teaching His Biracial Kids Yoruba Language (Video) / Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties / Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question About Yoruba Language by TheBaddestAshaw: 7:40pm On Dec 26, 2019
Hello everyone! I'm having great difficulty learning Yoruba so I may be posting questions here until my understanding gets better. Here is my issue at the moment:

The textbook which I am using says that the sentence "Mo ní ìretí pé ẹ óò gbádùn àsìkò yìí." translates to "I hope that you will enjoy this period." But google translate says that "gbádùn" means "to enjoy", so why is there "óò" in the sentence? "óò" signifies that the sentence is negative right? So wouldn't the translation of the sentence be "I hope that you will not enjoy this period."? Did the textbook make a mistake or am I misunderstanding something?
Re: Question About Yoruba Language by baby124: 6:06am On Dec 27, 2019
Oo can mean will or will not. Depends on the accent. Yoruba is very tonal. This one in your sentence up there signifies that it means positive, like you will enjoy the period.

1 Like

Re: Question About Yoruba Language by babyfaceafrica: 7:30am On Dec 27, 2019
TheBaddestAshaw:
Hello everyone! I'm having great difficulty learning Yoruba so I may be posting questions here until my understanding gets better. Here is my issue at the moment:

The textbook which I am using says that the sentence "Mo ní ìretí pé ẹ óò gbádùn àsìkò yìí." translates to "I hope that you will enjoy this period." But google translate says that "gbádùn" means "to enjoy", so why is there "óò" in the sentence? "óò" signifies that the sentence is negative right? So wouldn't the translation of the sentence be "I hope that you will not enjoy this period."? Did the textbook make a mistake or am I misunderstanding something?

"Mo ní ìretí pé ẹ óò gbádùn àsìkò yìí."

Google translation is correct with this sentence

óò is an axillary verb meaning will

Also note that óò is a contracted form of yóò when the /j/ sound is elided leaving you with a vowel cluster

However there is a negative marker "kò" with its allomorph "ò" which negates the subject DP

Please pay attention to tone markings in Yorùbá to have a negative sentence of the above, it will be

Mo ní ìretí pé ẹ kò gbádùn àsìkò yìí."

Meaning" I believe you did not enjoy this time/period.

Any other questions will be answered.... Compliments of the season

2 Likes

Re: Question About Yoruba Language by TheBaddestAshaw: 3:52pm On Dec 28, 2019
baby124:
Oo can mean will or will not. Depends on the accent. Yoruba is very tonal. This one in your sentence up there signifies that it means positive, like you will enjoy the period.

Thanks so much!!
Re: Question About Yoruba Language by TheBaddestAshaw: 3:54pm On Dec 28, 2019
babyfaceafrica:

"Mo ní ìretí pé ẹ óò gbádùn àsìkò yìí."

Google translation is correct with this sentence

óò is an axillary verb meaning will

Also note that óò is a contracted form of yóò when the /j/ sound is elided leaving you with a vowel cluster

However there is a negative marker "kò" with its allomorph "ò" which negates the subject DP

Please pay attention to tone markings in Yorùbá to have a negative sentence of the above, it will be

Mo ní ìretí pé ẹ kò gbádùn àsìkò yìí."

Meaning" I believe you did not enjoy this time/period.

Any other questions will be answered.... Compliments of the season

Thanks so much for your help! Compliments of the season to you too!

(1) (Reply)

Watch How I Go To My Work At Ikeja Everyday With Okada. / Masquerade With Rosary Decked In Attire Singing Christian Songs / The Igbo And Funerals (9)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.