Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,472 members, 7,823,099 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Should I Give To My Pastor Or Just To The Poor Only ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should I Give To My Pastor Or Just To The Poor Only ? (305 Views)

First Fruit: Pastor Or Parents? (My Answer!) / Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? / Even If My Pastor Gambles With My Tithe, I Will Continue To Pay. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Give To My Pastor Or Just To The Poor Only ? by Perfectbeing(m): 8:42pm On Dec 27, 2019
When you are half baked theologically ,You have a proclivity to talk so loud and assume it's true..
Now hear this ..
"The only giving God honors is for the poor ,rather than pay tithe to a church or pastor ,send it to the poor "
For starters ,the New Testament doesn't teach tithing as giving .
If you need more information on this ,kindly go on livingwordmedia,listen and download the teaching "Bible Doctrine on Tithing ,Tithe "
It's exhaustive and comprehensive.
Kindly don't try to distract this post into arguing the validity of tithing today ,that's answered above ,either you listen to the recommended teaching or you don't get in the way here !
That said .
Is it true we should only give to the poor ?
For starters Jesus taught giving to the poor .
Matthew 25:38-40 KJV
[38] When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee ? [39] Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40] And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
To the needy and helpless.
He even instructed the rich young ruler on the same
Mark 10:21 KJV
[21] Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
Very clear .
The Apostles taught same
Acts 4:35 KJV
[35] And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.
Acts 11:29 KJV
[29] Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea:
Paul was so pointed
Acts 20:34-35 KJV
[34] Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. [35] I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
In his Epistles..
Romans 15:26 KJV
[26] For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.
1 Corinthians 16:1 KJV
[1] Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
Galatians 2:10 KJV
[10] Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.
Writer of Hebrews
Hebrews 13:2-3 KJV
[2] Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. [3] Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them; and them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body.
Same as James ..
James 1:27 KJV
[27] Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
John ..
1 John 3:17 KJV
[17] But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
This is very clear ,
It's succinct to note that ,this giving was basically for BELIEVERS!
However ,was this the only kind of giving taught by Jesus and the apostles ?
Was giving only meant for meeting needs of brethren and the poor ?
Let's revisit the same persons again ..
Jesus ..
Matthew 10:10-13 KJV
[10] Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat. [11] And into whatsoever city or town ye shall enter, enquire who in it is worthy; and there abide till ye go thence. [12] And when ye come into an house, salute it. [13] And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you.
This was taught about giving to ministers and with grave consequences.
Matthew 10:41-42 KJV
[41] He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.
42] And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.
There's a reward for this .
This receiving includes material giving .
He used an Old Testament example which buttresses this too
Luke 4:26 KJV
[26] But unto none of them was Elias sent, save unto Sarepta, a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow.
This widow gave materially to Elijah
1 Kings 17:12 KJV
[12] And she said, As the Lord thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die.
Honor ,even from the seeming poor woman .She gave and not Elijah .
Jesus taught the poor gave too ..
Luke 21:2-4 KJV
[2] And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites. [3] And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all: [4] For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had.
We shall view this later .
Honor was taught as giving to ministers too
This was evident with Jesus
Luke 8:3 KJV
[3] And Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto him of their substance.
Joanna, whose husband Chusa was Herod's administrator; Susanna; and many other women. They provided financial support for Jesus and his disciples.( Good word translation)
They made available their estate, property and Money for Jesus to use ..
Obviously Jesus's ministry was supported this way .
He had many rich folks who served him with their wealth ..and influence
John 19:2,38-39 KJV
[2] And the soldiers platted a crown of thorns, and put it on his head, and they put on him a purple robe, [38] And after this Joseph of Arimathaea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews, besought Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus: and Pilate gave him leave. He came therefore, and took the body of Jesus. [39] And there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight .
This is even in his death !
Earlier a woman extravagantly spent upon Jesus ..
Mark 14:3 KJV
[3] And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head.
His disciples even grumbled about this ..
Hear Jesus
Mark 14:6-7 KJV
[6] And Jesus said, Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me. [7] For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always.
It's a good work even though extravagant in some eyes !
Jesus was not poor and he was well taken care of .
He used others ships ,homes and facilities.
Did the Apostles restrict giving to the poor only ?
Not in anyway ..
Romans 16:2-4,9 KJV
[2] That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.
[3] Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus:
[4] Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles. [9] Salute Urbane, our helper in Christ, and Stachys my beloved.
His ministry was supported by many .
In fact ,the influential and wealthy too
Romans 16:23 KJV
[23] Gaius mine host, and of the whole church, saluteth you. Erastus the chamberlain of the city saluteth you, and Quartus a brother.
Gaius was obviously a man of means ..
Known to other apostles..
3 John 1:1,5-6 KJV
[1] The elder unto the wellbeloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth.
[5] Beloved, thou doest faithfully whatsoever thou doest to the brethren, and to strangers;
[6] Which have borne witness of thy charity before the church: whom if thou bring forward on their journey after a godly sort, thou shalt do well:
John .
He was paul's financial supporter,gave to the poor and surely very well to ministers ..
Also Erastus..( Romans 16:23)
Romans 16:23b....Erastus, the city treasurer, sends you his greetings, and so does our brother Quartus.(NLT)
A man of means ,like Minister for Finance
Giving and supporting ministers was well established
1 Corinthians 9:11 KJV
[11] If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?
Paul left this rhetoric with Corinth .
In more clearer texts ,he's much stronger on supporting clergy
Galatians 6:6 KJV
[6] Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.
who is taught the word should share all his goods with his teach(ISV)
Good things !!!
Also later
In His pastoral epistles
1 Timothy 5:17-18 KJV
[17] Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. [18] For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.
Exactly what Jesus taught earlier
What's double honor ?
Elders who handle their duties well should be considered worthy of double compensation, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching. (ISV)
Double is multiples of two.
Honor is price or payment
It means ,you double for your pastor what ever you pay any other person
This definitely will differ per congregation
To some this could be in millions !
It's clear that giving to ministers is well emphasized and taught
Any teaching which despises giving well to our local church pastors isn't of God
We are to esteem them very well
1 Thessalonians 5:12-13 KJV
[12] And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; [13] And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.
Take note of VERY HIGHLY
Not the poor but the leaders of local churches
This will show also in our material giving
Even the not financial buoyant and those in need are seen to give
2 Corinthians 8:2 KJV
[2] How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality.
Those who were widows too
1 Timothy 5:10 KJV
[10] Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.
See ?
It's not doctrinally correct to teach that giving must be to the poor only
Giving should be encouraged from the poor too
That's the essence of the much twisted text
2 Corinthians 8:9 KJV
[9] For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.
Grace is to give even when you are in lack !
Not to expect " God to double your giving "
It's just generosity
Give expecting NOTHING
Luke 6:35 KJV
[35] But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
That's Biblical teaching
We must support our leaders well even if they have other sources of income
Philippians 4:10,15-16 KJV
[10] But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity. [15] Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only. [16] For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity.
No one should be gagged from giving abundantly to His pastor or teacher
To replace this with giving to the poor is amateur and heretic!
Give to the poor and widows and give DOUBLY to your pastor !
Ensure you have a local church and not some loose canon on social media !
Today ,joyfully support your pastor
Whilst not encouraging money lovers and greedy preachers
1 Peter 5:2 KJV
[2] Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof , not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
This is yet not an excuse to use an abuse to disobey scriptures
And it's very preposterous to generalize and start second guessing your pastor because of some ill willed and bitter ranting of some folks discouraging you from supporting your pastor and honoring him and your local church claiming to give to the poor !
That's not biblical
Give cheerfully to your pastor and Gods reward is yours
Galatians 6:7-10 KJV
[7] Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. [8] For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. [9] And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. [10] As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men , especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
Is he teaching you the Word and feeding you spiritually?Caring for you and speaking the word over you
Hebrews 13:7,17 KJV
[7] Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.
[17] Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.
This is your local church .
Don't give up or give in .
Keep giving ,to your teacher and brethren
Gods eternal rewards are yours !
Hope this is clear enough
I call you blessed
Merry Christmas and Remember to send gifts worthy of double honor to your pastor this Season!

Rev'd Onayinka Olusegun
Re: Should I Give To My Pastor Or Just To The Poor Only ? by olumide3367(m): 8:43pm On Dec 27, 2019
Some one summary please

1 Like

Re: Should I Give To My Pastor Or Just To The Poor Only ? by 100usdaday: 9:49pm On Dec 27, 2019
I just wanna say this "What you get comes from what you give."

So, just decide what you want to do.
Re: Should I Give To My Pastor Or Just To The Poor Only ? by BitCraftman: 8:58am On Dec 28, 2019
Give to both of them.

Galatians 6:6 Give to those who minister spiritually unto you( pastor inclusive)

Mathew 6:1-3 Covers giving to the poor.

1 Like

Re: Should I Give To My Pastor Or Just To The Poor Only ? by Perfectbeing(m): 9:36pm On Dec 31, 2019
100usdaday:
I just wanna say this "What you get comes from what you give."

So, just decide what you want to do.

You shouldn't have that mindset when giving as a Christian.
Give because it's in your nature to give. When you start giving with the mindset of receiving, you're not giving.. You're investing..

(1) (Reply)

Prophet Joshua Iginla Releases Prophecies For 2020 / Anointing Came On Pastor Chris / Rccg Unilag Special Holy Ghost Service | Let The Fire Fall livestream Link

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.