Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,540 members, 7,837,077 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? (51771 Views)

I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me / I Regret Going To The University / What Do You Regret Not Doing In Your University/School Days? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by PHIPEX(m): 11:29am On Dec 30, 2019
As for me, it might be more beneficial in the future than now especially since most people who travel to study do so with the main aim of getting a better job. As for the current, there might not be much difference apart from classroom experience except you intend to remain there. I work with and have worked with colleagues with foreign second degrees, there hasn't been any difference.

If I spend such huge about abroad, I might not return. You can recoup your investment by working there, not here.

4 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Gbright560: 11:35am On Dec 30, 2019
I second handed the same question
Did you return home?[/quote]
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by xcelentattitude(m): 11:40am On Dec 30, 2019
helinues:
Nigerians will prefer Senior in Abroad undecided

You know what I mean

No! we don't

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 11:42am On Dec 30, 2019
Spanishmilf:
You work in a travel agency yet you don't really follow update on countries, From next year all international graduates could qualify for a two-year period to work in the UK.

Don't bank on that though. I don't really trust British.

2 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 11:43am On Dec 30, 2019
OLUJOSHINS:

Are these exams one-off

Or

Requires rewriting after some years?

Thanks in advance

GRE has 5years validity, TOEFL has 2
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by xcelentattitude(m): 11:47am On Dec 30, 2019
@OP

This is what I have for you...

Prov. 3 Verses 5 to 6
[5] Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. [6] In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

You'll always regret it if it's not God's leading, but if it's His, you've got nothing to worry about.

I advise you to take this serious because, it is a major decision.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 11:51am On Dec 30, 2019
Seankay323:
If you have the opportunity to study abroad without breaking sweat to get the funds my guy go o because what you will learn outside university alone is more than what some people that head government agencies in Nigeria cant relate to. Even mixing with people for 6 months from other countries or locals, o boy ur perspective about life will change. Although job is not guaranteed but some people underestimate learning outside class. UK is not worth going to except engineering , medicine , core IT maybe accounting even you are better off studying nursing self than accounting. UK exchange rate now is no joke o . if the university can't guarantee me internship in a company in UK , with a 2:1 . I can't go to UK. Canada is offering citizenship and cost less to school there . so for me US AND CANADA everywhere else na major risk the former are calculated risk.

Thank you so so much. You speak with wisdom.

Personally i don't like UK. My admissions are from the USA and i am also waiting admission from Canada.

2 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Luckybelt: 11:53am On Dec 30, 2019
It is good but you need more to succeed in life. I had my masters in Nigeria but from my experience in the office where lots of my colleagues studied abroad, foreign masters help to give access to lots of tools to work with and can increase productivity.

Though through hard work many people who didn’t study abroad beat them in productivity.

Unless you really have the money don’t make foreign masters program a priority. Study the trend of things and use the money to key into it instead. Success these days don’t depend on certificate.

5 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by arinzeluke: 12:08pm On Dec 30, 2019
My dear, this ur question has been the most worried question in my life.
This is because I have many of my friends out there ...some are doing good while some are not doing well yet they are working. When I look at there structure, I can't tell with certainty that they are comfortable where they are yet they have big cars , sparing money in wedding and other occasion.. u know my pple na.
But the truth is that there is a hiding story dear. Bc I don't think it's easy out there. U have to work like elephant to pay ur Schl fees .
Many a time u Bleep white old woman to make ur money ...that's why u have to know what u are going there to do .
Maybe u should contact me so we can talk +2348021290601

3 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Agboriotejoye(m): 12:08pm On Dec 30, 2019
ritze:

You wouldn't know what he's talking about until you're in his shoes. Majority of the responses i have read so far are extremely ignorant and the person you're attacking has posted one of the most realistic response.

If your parents are paying of course no regrets.

Put you hard earned savings in it, get the visa, study hard, graduate with good grades and see yourself working for peanuts or so under a 23 year old fresh graduate with B.Sc as your manager, then come back and post this comment here.

As for the OP, I'd say studying abroad is worth every penny but still a risk. You're not 100 percent guaranteed a job. But do your thing and see how it works for you. Its hard for anyone to admit regret but there a lots of testimonies too.

God bless our hustle
Haba!! You should have read what he wrote before getting worked up for nothing. 3 masters degrees from 3 topmost universities in the world o not Nigeria. And you still can't get a good job??! Bros free the matter. Go and find out the 3 topmost universities in the world before you believe that tale.
I know of people who studied for masters in the UK especially and came back to still drag jobs with us here. But that guy's response is not realistic abbeg. Mind you, most of the universities y'all attend in Uk for masters are not the Ivy League ones. So consider very well what he wrote
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Dec 30, 2019
If you re going abroad to waste our scarce forex to study a course that has no relevance here, think again.

If you plan to stay abroad and settle good idea, but if youre doing this just to return and push applications like the rest forget it. employees are smarter now, supply of graduates > vacancies going abroad wont make much difference.
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by ak22(m): 12:11pm On Dec 30, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Good morning,

I hope you are doing great. I intend going abroad for my masters, come this august 2020. I have secured admissions in the USA for MSc. Mechanical Engineering. i have partial funding already and i will be paying for the rest.

To better make my decision, did you have any regrets with studying abroad? did it give you an edge during your job search?

Thanks.

Find your time to study this thread and you will thank me after

https://www.nairaland.com/3926467/naija-yankee-thoughts-experiences

3 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Dec 30, 2019
Get a job first and a few years later use your masters to advance your career or get a higher position in the company. If you’re smart, said company might even pay for it.

Doing a masters straight after your bachelors without getting any work experience is a giant waste of time, especially if age isn’t on your side. And employers don’t really care about “I have a masters from abroad” anymore like before. They prefer to see work history. I’m talking from experience.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Philadelphia: 12:26pm On Dec 30, 2019
Let's make this more interesting...

Comparing both the UK and the US for MSc in the field of IT and considering the prospect of getting a job after completing your studies, what location is most preferred amongs the 2?
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 12:34pm On Dec 30, 2019
Luckybelt:
It is good but you need more to succeed in life. I had my masters in Nigeria but from my experience in the office where lots of my colleagues studied abroad, foreign masters help to give access to lots of tools to work with and can increase productivity.

Though through hard work many people who didn’t study abroad beat them in productivity.

Unless you really have the money don’t make foreign masters program a priority. Study the trend of things and use the money to key into it instead. Success these days don’t depend on certificate.

I am passionate about engineering and so far, Nigeria can't give me what i want.

PS: I am focusing on Robotics and Automation.

5 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Switch07(m): 12:45pm On Dec 30, 2019
truthsayer009:

PLEASE GO.

Realistically, If you are going there for Mechanical Engineering, It is good. it's a STEM course & lots of opportunities there.

Also, no matter what happens. Please don't come back home to Nigeria with your US certificate thinking you have an edge. YOU DON"T.

During your time in school, find a cool headed educated STEM Black American graduate & marry him. Continue your life & live happily ever after.
Don't mess around with Nigerians that won't offer you anything, BE WISE PLEASE.

U're real nigga bro
Rule number one don't come back get ur green card first
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by groovie(m): 12:46pm On Dec 30, 2019
AkeNathan:

When facing the Visa Officer at the Embassy, talk as though you have genuine plans to return to Nigeria after your Msc and continue plying your trade locally from where you had stopped.

But when you get to the US, find out how to extend your stay and finally land citizenship.

This country is not worth borning your kids in.

This forum is been monitored. Data about Nigerian youths is been gleaned from this forum 24/7. Be careful what you say

3 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Dec 30, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Good morning,

I hope you are doing great. I intend going abroad for my masters, come this august 2020. I have secured admissions in the USA for MSc. Mechanical Engineering. i have partial funding already and i will be paying for the rest.

To better make my decision, did you have any regrets with studying abroad? did it give you an edge during your job search?

I have try messaging but don't know how. Would like to know the process 9067373917 WhatsApp only. Thnks

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 1:20pm On Dec 30, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Good morning,

Thanks.
NO I DO NOT

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 1:21pm On Dec 30, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:

I am passionate about engineering and so far, Nigeria can't give me what i want.

PS: I am focusing on Robotics and Automation.
Head yankee, these skills are most desirable cos of new women's right in the US
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Slimpotter(m): 1:25pm On Dec 30, 2019
Mailthaddeus:
Are u going abroad for more study because u wanna have an edge in job search, or u are going because u want to gain more relevant knowledge that will make u a better engineer?

Ur mindset needs to be changed here. Continuesly develop urself with quality learning and the sky will be ur limit. Jobs and opportunities naturally come to a prepared mind.
Smart words
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by cliqtips: 1:25pm On Dec 30, 2019
Is the person working along while studying
xoxocandy:
My friend is currently doing masters abroad and he's deff not regreting

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by cliqtips: 1:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
dont let anyone put FEAR in you... Let's read what he/she has to say anyways.

But the question is, has this person traveled or done his/her abroad as well ?

NwanyiOkpa:

Waste as how?
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Wesify(m): 1:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
What are you talking about This should be the best decision of your life.. Do your best.. Trust God... You're on point

2 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 30, 2019
groovie:

This forum is been monitored. Data about Nigerian youths is been gleaned from this forum 24/7. Be careful what you say

Jesus Christ
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by cliqtips: 1:32pm On Dec 30, 2019
Please I'll like to ask one or more questions.

Are you on scholarship ?

What are the procedures you followed for your application ?

NwanyiOkpa:
Good morning,

Thanks.
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by tommee: 1:37pm On Dec 30, 2019
Erediauwa:
Don't occupy your mind with negativity....

Think positive and you won't have any regrets whatsoever.

Still hustling to get the much needed funds for my Msc which I intend to do in the Netherlands.

@Erediauwa,

Its nice to hear u wanna study in netherland. Am also planning to do same by Gods grace early 2020.

You can Dm me lets share ideas as there is no active study in netherland page on Nairaland
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 1:42pm On Dec 30, 2019
cliqtips:
Please I'll like to ask one or more questions.

Are you on scholarship ?

What are the procedures you followed for your application ?

If you have a 2'1 of 1st class, write GRE and TOEFL and apply to schools.

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 30, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Good morning,

Thanks.
Congrats babe.

P.S: I have never seen any serious minded individual ever regretted studying abroad.

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by DexterousOne(m): 2:07pm On Dec 30, 2019
Ijebulogic:
Please which schools did Aliko Dangote, Elumelu and Chagoury do their masters before they made it in Nigeria? Bottom line ...have a Vision and build a plan around your vision...if your plan includes a master's ...so be it! Also remember that university is NOT university o! Harvard is not Minnesota Tech. If you must go abroad, try and attend the top 30 unis in the US at least .

How many Nigerians do you think will get to that level of Aliko dem?

Just asking

4 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Iykolysis: 2:09pm On Dec 30, 2019
forlexxy:

Well u said u don't know any one..
I know 2 people and they are ballers now.
.At least doing masters abroad will boost ur level of confidence a little than doing it in Nigeria

Confidence you say, fat lie. Confidence in any field is a function of how studious you are, personal determination to excel, work experience and competence displayed. You can have an overseas certificate yet not a scholar and timid.
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by DexterousOne(m): 2:11pm On Dec 30, 2019
safarigirl:
those people who regret going abroad for Masters would not be any better if they had remained in Nigeria for it.

Someone that cannot make something of abroad Masters would never have made anything from Nigerian Masters Did they think they would just throw the abroad certificate on the table and get jobs? What extra qualifications did they get? Did they attain any networking skills to be able to harness their knowledge to those in positions of authority or did they just lay back and think a piece of paper would do all the talking?

#Gbam

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Camels Grazing On A Primary School In Plateau (Photos) / Lekki Nursery School Where Acceptance Fee Is N2million (Photo) / ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.