Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,666 members, 7,816,724 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

Countries Where Yoruba Language Is Widely Spoken - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Countries Where Yoruba Language Is Widely Spoken (1020 Views)

What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? / Yoruba Dad Teaching His Biracial Kids Yoruba Language (Video) / Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Countries Where Yoruba Language Is Widely Spoken by Kapeter(m): 12:52am On Dec 31, 2019
I'm creating this thread to assist the other one created earlier.

The op missed vital informations and i'll be addressing all here.

I'm not adding foreign to the countries because even though Yorubas are originaly from the western part of Africa, they are now indigenious to other countries as it is in the Carribeans and in such Yoruba language cannot be described as foreign to such countries.

Many Carribean countries have little or no indigineous people as most of the countries were created during the last phase of salve trades, hence the people that were left there during this period can as well be refer to as indigenious since they formed the creation of these countries.

Now back to the main content, countries all over the world where Yoruba language is widely or in some case in minority but as far as it's spoken, such countries will be looked at here.
Re: Countries Where Yoruba Language Is Widely Spoken by Kapeter(m): 12:53am On Dec 31, 2019
Let m start from Home.

Nigeria

Yoruba people have their roots in this very country as you all know.

Benin Republic

Yorua and fon make the two largest tribe in this country. The Yoruba people of Benin actually refuse to have the english colonialist as their master but rather ran to the French voluntarily who where then at the neighboring Togo and henve they were merged with the fons, they'd have eventually be part of Nigeria today.

Togo

Yoruba is spoken by minority Yoruba migrant, Yoruba is never an indegineous tribe here but just a couple of migrants who doesn't abandon their language. Adebayor is a popular son of a Yoruba migrant. The Yorubas in Togo are migrants mainly from today Nigeria.

Ghana

during the slave trading era, Yorubas then migrated in numbers and in such cases, Yorubas migrated to alot of other wetern(Africa) countries. Yorubas in Ghana have been there for over 200 years but of course are not indigineous, mostly migrated from present day Nigeria.
So you will surely regularly find Yoruba language speaker in Ghana.

Notable mention of indegineous Yoruba people of Ghana are the Tabom people of Ghana though they've lost their heritage and communicate in portuguese and local ghanaian dialect.

Ivory Coast

Just like Ghana, this former french colony also is home to Yoruba migrants, they were early migrants who has been living in the country for so long but i really cannot say in particular for how long but you will surely randomly meet people speaking Yoruba on the street of Ivory Coast.

Sierra Leone

Unlike Ghana, Ivory coast and Togo Yoruba language is indegineous to Sierra Leone but some and most of the Yoruba words doesn't really mean the same thing with the original Yoruba words. This is because the language has evolved that it has mixed with their indigineuos language. Although you will still regurlaly meet children of early migrants that still speak the language as it is from the source.

Yorubas even though in minority were part of creation of sierra leone and i think this is the reason the Yoruba language is now part and parvel of their general local dialect.

1 Like

Re: Countries Where Yoruba Language Is Widely Spoken by Kapeter(m): 12:53am On Dec 31, 2019
Now let's move to the carribbeans. The then slaves made up the new nations of the carribbeans, which is why we can say their culture, language and styles are indigenious to the respective countries. So the Yoruba speakers you will find in these countries are those who never lost their identity.

Trinidad and Tobago

the country is a double island west indy country but you will find the Yoruba speakers more on the island of Trinidad. Without much talk, you already know how the language got there.

Cuba

as it is in the case of Trinidad.

And i think that's that for the carribbeans or if you know more kindly let us know.

Now moving to other parts, America to be specific.

Brazil

in the state of Bahia in Brazil, you will find one of the most populated Yoruba community in South America. It is a case of cuba and Trinidad.

USA

by USA, i'm not reffering to Yoruba migrants but to an entire Yoruba village.
Oyotunji was founded in 1970 by Oba Efuntola Oseijemen Adelabu Adefunmi I, it is located in Sheldon, Beaufort County, South Carolina, USA.

it is a village created in honour of their root(the Oyo empire) and it literally means 'Oyo rise again' 'Oyo has risen again'(whichever you deem fit). It contains of a typical Yoruba village settings having purely Yorubas as habitants which means having majorly Yoruba speakers. The present king of Oyotunji is Oba Adejuyigbe Adefunmi II

2 Likes

I think writing about countries where Yoruba are almost indigenious or almost part of their everyday life as a result long age interaction is enough. Since there would surely be Yoruba speakers in other countries all over the world as long as migration still takes place in life.
Re: Countries Where Yoruba Language Is Widely Spoken by ojun50(m): 1:01am On Dec 31, 2019
keep writing
Re: Countries Where Yoruba Language Is Widely Spoken by Kapeter(m): 1:47am On Dec 31, 2019
ojun50:
keep writing
i write finish.

1 Like

Re: Countries Where Yoruba Language Is Widely Spoken by kayfra: 1:51am On Dec 31, 2019
Kapeter:
Let m start from Home.

Nigeria

Yoruba people have their roots in this very country as you all know.

Benin Republic

Yorua and fon make the two largest tribe in this country. The Yoruba people of Benin actually refuse to have the english colonialist as their master but rather ran to the French voluntarily who where then at the neighboring Togo and henve they were merged with the fons, they'd have eventually be part of Nigeria today.

Togo

Yoruba is spoken by minority Yoruba migrant, Yoruba is never an indegineous tribe here but just a couple of migrants who doesn't abandon their language. Adebayor is a popular son of a Yoruba migrant. The Yorubas in Togo are migrants mainly from today Nigeria.

Ghana

during the slave trading era, Yorubas then migrated in numbers and in such cases, Yorubas migrated to alot of other wetern(Africa) countries. Yorubas in Ghana have been there for over 200 years but of course are not indigineous, mostly migrated from present day Nigeria.
So you will surely regularly find Yoruba language speaker in Ghana.

Notable mention of indegineous Yoruba people of Ghana are the Tabom people of Ghana though they've lost their heritage and communicate in portuguese and local ghanaian dialect.

Ivory Coast

Just like Ghana, this former french colony also is home to Yoruba migrants, they were early migrants who has been living in the country for so long but i really cannot say in particular for how long but you will surely randomly meet people speaking Yoruba on the street of Ivory Coast.

Sierra Leone

Unlike Ghana, Ivory coast and Togo Yoruba language is indegineous to Sierra Leone but some and most of the Yoruba words doesn't really mean the same thing with the original Yoruba words. This is because the language has evolved that it has mixed with their indigineuos language. Although you will still regurlaly meet children of early migrants that still speak the language as it is from the source.

Yorubas even though in minority were part of creation of sierra leone and i think this is the reason the Yoruba language is now part and parvel of their general local dialect.

Yorubas are also indigenous to Togo apart from the migrants. They are known as the Ife subgroup of the Nago people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Countries Where Yoruba Language Is Widely Spoken by Kapeter(m): 2:19am On Dec 31, 2019
kayfra:

Yorubas are also indigenous to Togo apart from the migrants. They are known as the Ife subgroup of the Nago people
will read about this. Thanks
Re: Countries Where Yoruba Language Is Widely Spoken by Dedetwo(m): 2:24am On Dec 31, 2019
kayfra:

You tend to forgot the Yari.ba original migratory home. grin grin grin
Re: Countries Where Yoruba Language Is Widely Spoken by Kapeter(m): 4:19am On Dec 31, 2019
saintvc:
Igbo's, come and tell us your own
dedetwo, do you know your history yet?

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Ghandi Arrived To Ogbomoso To Become King (soun Of Ogbomoso) / Any Olumba Followers Here . / ]rescued From Human Traffickers In Togo, Three-year-old Nigerian Waits In Vain F

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.