Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,165 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:19 AM

Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review (46118 Views)

A BETTER ALTERNATIVE TO MTN LUMOS.NO SUBSCRIPTION PAYMENT / A Sincere Review Of Mtn Lumos Solar Electricity / Please Help, I Want To Buy Mtn Lumos Solar Power(pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by finnestdope(m): 10:16pm On Jan 02, 2020
MTN Lumos Solar Review - Dopi Technologies

Everyone would love to have 24 hours of electricity in their homes, and that’s what many Solar Electricity SPs promise to offer. Well, in Nigeria, one of the most popular (best-selling) portable solar system electricity system is the Lumos Solar System. Lumos partnered with MTN to provide small homes with 24hours electricity (as claimed), but that’s not what they brought to Nigerians. Here’s my Lumos Solar Electricity System review.

What is MTN Lumos Solar?
It’s actually not owned by MTN. Lumos is an international company that manufactures solar systems to provide people with an alternative way to have steady electricity without noise. Lumos solar system is actually meant to replace noisy generators in homes while minimizing the cost of having steady electricity. The company looks promising and the Lumos Solar System (sold by MTN) actually works, but…

Tech Specs of Lumos Solar Panel and Battery
1. The solar panel is 80W
2. 12-volt battery
3. Two USB ports (5V DC / 2.1A)
4. Four DC Output jacks (12V / 2A)
5. Two Car Cigarette Sockets (12V / 8A)
6. Comes with a 60W power inverter

Feature of Lumos solar system (panel and battery)
The panel is no different from the typical solar panels you’ve seen. However, Lumos solar system (the yellow box) is highly computerized. There’s an LCD screen on the yellow box, alongside a few buttons. Also, the system features two cigarette ports where you can connect your power inverter.
What’s in the box?
The panel is sidelined with the box; however, you’ll get the following in total.

The yellow box (computerized solar battery system)
1. 2 DC bulbs
2. 60W power inverter
3. A manual

My Lumos Solar System Review
I got the system at around February 2019 when I needed to get something done and the use of generators is prohibited in the place i was living at that time. Looking at how urgent I needed electricity at that time, I quickly rushed to the nearest MTN office and requested for Lumos. However, I never knew much about how it works. I was just thinking it would work like typical solar systems.

So, I got the system for N20,000 after the seemingly long process of signing up, plus guarantors. A certified Lumos installer was referred to me and I paid N3,500 for the solar installation.

I must say that I never knew you could buy up this system at a go (by paying a one-time fee); well, I’m glad i didn’t know, cos I would have paid off at a go and it will be a total waste.

So, by the time the installation was complete, I paid a total of N23,500. But, before you can use the system, you must connect the 60W power inverter, then connect your extension (socket) where you can now plug in your compatible appliances. Hence, if the power converter goes bad, there’s no alternative way for you to power your appliances.

Here are the things I used the Lumos Solar system to power;

1. LED TV
2. 15.6-inch HP laptop
3. Samsung tablet
4. Smartphones (2)
5. Smartwatch
6. CableTV decoder
7. Hair clipper (sometimes)

Asides these appliances above, I don’t use any other gadgets with the system.

Now, here are the flaws you’ll experience with the Lumos system.
1. There is no way to pause your subscription; even when you’re away, you must have an active subscription for your yellow box
2. The system will always go off when you plug-in a rechargeable torchlight
3. The capacity is very low; it couldn’t power my TV and Laptop at the same time
4. It often goes off or shows “overload” notice when you connect some phone charges or small capacity appliances

My worst moments using this solar system
My worst experience with the Lumos Solar System was when my 60W power inverter went bad. The inverter started malfunctioning and I went back to the place I bought the system to pick up a new power inverter as it among the freebies attached to the warranty. But, I was informed that the converter, not nowhere available in my state. This was so frustrating because my subscription was wasting and there’s no other way to convert the DC energy to power my stuff.

Also, I was cautioned not to use another power inverter so as not to void to bridge the T&C’s. Cutting the whole long story short, It’s 3 months now and I’m yet to get a new converter from MTN/Lumos. Each time I called, I’m told that the converter is not yet available in my state. To worsen it all, I was even called a few hours ago and told to renew my subscription because it has expired. Imagine? I’ve not used the system for a whole three months, what am I paying for?

Well, you can buy this Power Inverter to use in place of the default 60W inverter. This power inverter offers a whopping 150W, more than x2 of what you get from the default power inverter (60W). There are a couple of features available on this power inverter that are handy. But using this inverter with the Lumos yellow box isn’t as efficient as you may expect it to be. I won’t say much about the inverter…

Honestly, I don’t think the Lumos Solar System sold by MTN is an option for anyone, including students.

Read on - https://www.dopitech.com/mtn-lumos-solar-system-review/

cc: seun, lalasticlala, mynd44

2 Likes

Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by timijoseph01(m): 10:19pm On Jan 02, 2020
Lol.. Just buy/import Goal Zero if you can afford it.. You will never regret it
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by finnestdope(m): 10:37pm On Jan 02, 2020
timijoseph01:
Lol.. Just buy/import Goal Zero if you can afford it.. You will never regret it

Please what's this Goal Zero and how much is it?

2 Likes

Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by braine(m): 11:57pm On Jan 02, 2020
Well written review.

4 Likes

Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by finnestdope(m): 5:11am On Jan 03, 2020
braine:
Well written review.

Thanks
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by surrogatesng: 8:03am On Jan 03, 2020
1KVA 1000 WATT SOLAR SYSTEM + 1 FREE SOLAR FAN + 5 LIGHTING POINT

This 1kva (1000 watt)solar system is very economical,durable
and energy efficient.The lighting points are DC 12V low energy
and connected directly to the battery which gives better
performance and longer runtime.It comes with 1 solar standing
fan which consumes very low energy( just 10 watt) but blows
like a turnado.The fan can work 24hrs directly with
nepa,battery and imverter which makes them all weather.This is
truely an efficient solar system.It comes with a 100ah
battery and 150 watt mono crystaline solar panel (mono
crystaline panels are known to perform better than
polyscrystaline panels).It also comes with a 1000 watt
inverter which can be used to charge laptops and also to watch
tv.Our engineer will install it and ensure that the lighting
points are at the designated areas you want them to be in your
home or shop.Also an AC socket will be installed in your room
just incase you prefer watching tv or working on your laptop
in your room.What else do you need to make life comfortable?
Contact us today to get yours.

Price is 135,000 Naira only.
To order call 07067866986,07068410532 or click below to chat on whatsapp

https:///2347067866986
https:///2347068410532
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12002233_banner_jpeg527240edf39824fd5c835e23afd541ae
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12002148_1000watt_jpegad3619f5e4b8b8644a95d6b610a6dc75
www.nairaland.com/attachments/10225923_img201909051844053_jpeg7b42125045ccbd6f597eea57e521a75b

Clicl below to chat with us on whatsapp
https:///2347067866986
https:///2347068410532

TO ORDER
JOYFUL ECHOES AND SYSTEMS
61 Isolo road (Gobi Plaza)
Ile-iwe b/stop Egbe-Ikotun
Lagos,Nigeria
Mobile/Whatsapp: 07067866986,07068410532

1 Like

Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by miracle4(m): 6:18am On Jan 04, 2020
This system is wack. I'm surprised that it can't charge rechargeable touches. 12V Overload is their good morning, while disconnect some appliances (when only one or two is connected) is their good evening. It's simply a power bank for bulbs and phones, and then nothing else.

5 Likes

Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by finnestdope(m): 8:24am On Jan 04, 2020
miracle4:
This system is wack. I'm surprised that it can't charge rechargeable touches. 12V Overload is their good morning, while disconnect some appliances (when only one or two is connected) is their good evening. It's simply a power bank for bulbs and phones, and then nothing else.

I'm telling you! They really need to update the system.

At least offer more battery capacity and a more wattage power inverter.
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by pointstores(m): 10:05am On Jan 04, 2020
Affordable solar generator from 45,000

Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by reidkrugger(m): 3:38pm On Dec 09, 2020
Very useful OP and thanks alot for d info. I would have fallen for it myself.
Anyways and with dat said, pls esteemed professionals in d house. How much will it cost me to build a small solar powered inverter?
It should be able to power 1laptop, 2tvs and decoders, 2 fans and 3light bulbs.
Thanks in advance.
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by reidkrugger(m): 3:40pm On Dec 09, 2020
pointstores:
Affordable solar generator from 45,000

What can it power and for how long?
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by pointstores(m): 5:01pm On Dec 09, 2020
reidkrugger:

What can it power and for how long?
Fan and light point 10hours
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by Christie171(f): 7:46pm On Dec 09, 2020
pointstores:

Fan and light point 10hours
It does not charge phone and laptops?
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by pointstores(m): 9:12pm On Dec 09, 2020
Christie171:
It does not charge phone and laptops?
It does
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by Deblow: 2:24am On Dec 10, 2020
Pity! U must be naive to have thought or believe that MTN could get involved in anything that will be beneficial to its consumers at the expense of their huge financial ripoff. That is MTN for you.
I tell u, even if salvation was contracted to MTN to retail, someone like me won't subscribe because it would have been 'corrupted" by MTN's avaricious tendencies. Yeye network provider!

5 Likes

Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by harry2sexy(m): 5:12am On Jan 31, 2021
Nice review, thank God i didn't need to waste my money tomorrow,lemme just buy generators that i am used to

1 Like

Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by COLLYZO3K: 10:50pm On Dec 10, 2022
Using MTN Lumos was the greatest mistake I ever made,imagining signing a contract to payup in 5yrs with a sum of +/-N4000 per mth,in less than 2 yrs the monthly increased to N7300 still same duration..Hows that explained??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by Quietgem: 11:58am On Feb 19, 2023
MTN lumos system is a very wack system. I got the system in January 2018 and paid judiciously for about 2yrs until I relocated to where I had better electricity, following which i subscribed sparingly despite the outrageous increase in monthly subscription which was not part of the initial T&C's. The power adaptor got bad later and I ignored the system since I could not get it.
Just got a message frm MTN lumos that despite several attempts to contact me, so I can return the yellow box proved abortive, that I have been handed over to a third party debt collector to pay the sum of 245,000 naira. Imagine this big clowns and fools. I know they have a tracker to the system, but I am going to send the rubbish box to my village shrine. Bullshit.

5 Likes

Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by ileanaju(m): 4:11pm On Feb 19, 2023
Quietgem:
MTN lumos system is a very wack system. I got the system in January 2018 and paid judiciously for about 2yrs until I relocated to where I had better electricity, following which i subscribed sparingly despite the outrageous increase in monthly subscription which was not part of the initial T&C's. The power adaptor got bad later and I ignored the system since I could not get it.
Just got a message frm MTN lumos that despite several attempts to contact me, so I can return the yellow box proved abortive, that I have been handed over to a third party debt collector to pay the sum of 245,000 naira. Imagine this big clowns and fools. I know they have a tracker to the system, but I am going to send the rubbish box to my village shrine. Bullshit.

Please, how did you handle it!
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by Stevengold(m): 8:09pm On Mar 10, 2023
Quietgem:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by yahoodetector: 1:08pm On Oct 05, 2023
Quietgem:

@bolded grin grin grin grin grin

I know it's been 3 years now but how did it later go?
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by Idoko619(m): 9:00pm On Dec 03, 2023
yahoodetector:

@bolded grin grin grin grin grin

I know it's been 3 years now but how did it later go?

Curious too grin
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by billyG(m): 11:44am On Dec 08, 2023
Idoko619:

Curious too grin
Thank you for punching them below d belt... Nigeria has not functional consumers protection.
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by Pokorg: 12:22pm On Jan 06
My mtn lumos not charging

It add 1 or 2 percent daily
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by CooldipoMPS: 11:44pm On Jan 21
I think you guys should take a look at MPS. it wll solve your immediate power needs! Pabon take a look!

Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by PrinceGallant: 4:54pm On Feb 24
Sir, thanks for this review. I am reading it this 2024, hope you have fully paid?

I want to ask about the 150w inverter? How is it working? Can it work with a table-top fridge?

Thank you
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by finnestdope(m): 12:29pm On Feb 27
PrinceGallant:
Sir, thanks for this review. I am reading it this 2024, hope you have fully paid?

I want to ask about the 150w inverter? How is it working? Can it work with a table-top fridge?

Thank you

Well, which of the Lumox boxes did you buy? The 150W adapter works fine but consumes more battery (as expected). As for table-top, I'd advise you don't connect it to the Lumos box.
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by GabrielYulaw(m): 3:21pm On Feb 27
Quietgem:

Got the same debt collector message last year. I stopped using the system in 2018 cos I relocated and it no longer made sense. These days, I use MPS from Cooldipo and it's what I should have gotten from the get-go.

Haven't touched the Yellow Box since 2018. But when LUMOS started sending me threatening messages, I went to return it and was told that because the solar panel had cracked, I had to pay a fine of 40k. I vex carry the stuff back home.

Worth noting is that when I stopped using the system in 2018, the Yellow Box and the solar panel were in excellent shape. I would have immediately returned the whole thing to where I got it, but was repeatedly told -by friends and family- that I would be arrested and charged if I did because I had not completed the hire purchase terms. Repeatedly searched online then and now on how to return the system and got nada. And the guy at the MTN Lumos place told me that info on how to return the system when you no longer want it is made intentionally scarce. If I had known I could return the system without consequences, I would have immediately done so in 2018.

It's now they want to bill me via debt collector.
Re: Please Don’t Buy The MTN Lumos Solar System Until You Read My Review by kelvincoke(m): 10:09pm On Apr 25
How much does this box cost now, that of the sunking price has double their price.... Just curious to know

(1) (Reply)

Is Cracked Screen Of TV Repairable? / CCTV SALES & INSTALLATIONS (VARIOUS INSTALLATIONS PICTURES ENCLOSED) / Fantastic Deals On Generators, Air Conditioners & Others! Pics attached!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.