Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,973 members, 7,814,303 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off (69149 Views)

Nigeria Issues Travel Advisory To Nigerians Going To US, Europe / Nigerians Going To Cape Breton University. / FAAN Closes MMIA Departure Drop Off Zone Temporarily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by fergie001: 9:37am On Jan 03, 2020
Data from the US travel and tourism office shows a 21 per cent drop in the number of Nigerians travelling to the country, the largest global drop-off in visitors to the US.

As of 2019 October, 34,000 fewer Nigerians travelled to the US compared to the previous year. After a sustained period of growth between 2011 and 2015, the number of Nigerian visitors to the US started to plateau in 2016 until the big drop-off last year.

The dip in Nigerian visitors to the US followed a string of visa clampdown measures by the Trump administration.

After indefinitely suspending its visa interview waiver for Nigerian applicants (the waiver allowed frequent travellers renew their visa without going through in-person interviews each time), the Trump administration also raised visa application fees for Nigerians by including additional “reciprocity fees” ranging from $80 to $303 depending on the class of visa. And even though the Nigerian government immediately slashed visa application fees for American applicants in a bid to get the US to reverse its price increase, the reciprocity fees remain in place.

The measures followed reports that the Trump administration was looking to impose visa restrictions on countries whose citizens have a track record of overstaying beyond the validity of their short-term US visas. As it turns out, Nigerians were the highest-ranked African country for US visa overstays in 2018.

Even though official data confirm the effects of the measures, there were already warning signs the administration’s policies were having an adverse impact on potential travellers. The policies also spawned fear-fuelled rumours among locals as well: mid-last year, the United States embassy in Nigeria was forced to deny a widespread rumour that it had placed a ban on issuing student visas to Nigerians.

Despite the Trump administration’s policies, the US remains a popular destination for Nigerian students seeking foreign degrees as the economic impact of spending by Nigerian students studying in the United States reached $514 million over the past academic year.

The second-largest drop was for visitors from Venezuela (17.7%). The South American country is in the midst of an economic and political crisis which has seen more than four million people flee the country and the US is restricting entry to Venezuelan migrants.

Argentina followed with 15.6 per cent drop and Sweden, 11.1 per cent.

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2020/01/03/nigerians-going-to-us-reduce-sharply-largest-global-drop-off/
justwise lalasticlala mynd44

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Blakjewelry(m): 9:49am On Jan 03, 2020
They are not doing again

178 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by fergie001: 9:55am On Jan 03, 2020
czarina:
It's Sir Fergie on the beat! Well-done Oga!
Thank you Ma......I am still angry with you.....didn't see my rice and turkey or did "reciprocity fees" affect it ni?

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by czarina(f): 10:02am On Jan 03, 2020
fergie001:

Thank you Ma......I am still angry with you.....didn't see my rice and turkey or did "reciprocity fees" affect it ni?
Well, I'll be damned!

He included "ni" cheesy cheesy

The rice dey come, turkey not assured though and no, there are no reciprocity fees around here cool

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by BedLam: 10:04am On Jan 03, 2020
I honestly don't know what people do in the USA if not for seeking employment and business.
I find it revolting that people go there for holidays or anything other than economic gains. The world has developed to a point
where most things available elsewhere in the world aren't in the USA. There are now better living in Asia, Europe and middle east than you could find in the USA. Even south American countries are coming up.

Meanwhile WAKANOW is a fraudulent establishment, stay away from them!

338 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by fergie001: 10:09am On Jan 03, 2020
czarina:
Well, I'll be damned!

He included "ni" cheesy cheesy

The rice dey come, turkey not assured though and no, there are no reciprocity fees around here cool
I know you love that ni grin cheesy..

We are in next level....I will manage whatever I see

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by NwaAmaikpe: 10:10am On Jan 03, 2020
shocked

One of Africa's most underated writer Ngugi Wa' Thiong O rightly said that 'Time Changes Everything'.
The next Democrat's administration after Trumps' will open up the gates to USA.

Someday in the future, Nigerian Passport holders will be given Visa-on-arrival privileges to the USA.

But it looks like Davido could not pay the reciprocity fee for ChefChi this one she wasn't given a visa.

109 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Nobody: 10:14am On Jan 03, 2020
They are complaining that the number of Nigerians coming to their country is decreasing but ahunwekwe American visa. Ngwanu allow those that came through the window to drink water and drop cup, otu awu ezi.

Aka nti na agu these people. angry

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Stewart883(m): 10:26am On Jan 03, 2020
Very good development

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by omoluka: 10:35am On Jan 03, 2020
Good news!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by fergie001: 10:37am On Jan 03, 2020
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked
One of Africa's most underated writer Ngugi Wa Thiong O rightly said that 'Time Changes Everything'.
The next Democrats administration after Trumps will open up the gates to USA.

Someday in the future, Nigerian Passport holders will be given Visa-on-arrival privileges to the USA.

But it looks like Davido could not pay the reciprocity fee for ChefChi.
This one she wasn't given a visa.

....The first novel that made the biggest impact on me during my growing years was James Ngugi Wa'thiongo's "Weep Not Child"...... Njoroge..how time flies!

85 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Asquare84(m): 1:57pm On Jan 03, 2020
It evidence that buhari has turned the Fortune of Nigerian around and such no need to travel to America

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Beautyaddy: 2:31pm On Jan 03, 2020
Good News!...lol! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Saintp(m): 3:00pm On Jan 03, 2020
Asquare84:
It evidence that buhari has turned the Fortune of Nigerian around and such no need to travel to America

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

120 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Shallypop(f): 4:22pm On Jan 03, 2020
[quote author=BedLam post=85459329]I honestly don't know what people do in the USA if not for seeking employment and business.
I find it revolting that people go there for holidays or anything other than economic gains. The world has developed to a point
where most things available elsewhere in the world aren't in the USA. There are now better living in Asia, Europe and middle east than you could find in the USA. Even south American countries are coming up.

[b]Meanwhile WAKANOW is a fraudulent establishment, stay away from them!Very true. Had a terrible experience with them 2yrs ago

12 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Shallypop(f): 4:24pm On Jan 03, 2020
BedLam:
I honestly don't know what people do in the USA if not for seeking employment and business.

[b]Meanwhile WAKANOW is a fraudulent establishment, stay away from them![/b]
Very true. Had a terrible experience with them 2yrs ago

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by nlPoster: 4:34pm On Jan 03, 2020
Temporary lull if any.

Nigerians be waiting like, on your mark, set, just say when so we can go!

And bam! they've arrived.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by lonelydora: 5:01pm On Jan 03, 2020
This is because our merciful Buhari is working hard to right the wrongs of PDP. grin grin

Nigeria is now safe for people. grin

25 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by sotall(m): 5:02pm On Jan 03, 2020
grin
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by itsme01: 5:02pm On Jan 03, 2020
cool

when they dont wana respect us ... Average Nigerians would raise atleast 10k USD on their own to travel something punk ass Americans cant raise without loan(they borrow for Phone{contracts} borrow for car and house{mortgage}), Nigerians would learn a trade, and still go for professional certication and if need be further thier studies through sweat and blood yet some scumbarg Trump thinks we are unproductive or leeches

if you see how UAE respects naija people, fish/ meat market in sharjah park they speak little nigerian major language to attract customers same as Cab drivers, and Gold solk Dubai, even radio stations jam Naija songs and they have African Music fest for Naija...

UK felt like Gods and started chasin people with student Visa out after studies.. but now with brexit in sight they are offering better visa package

last last money for US visa can be invested in a small shops anywhere and make good returns retailing simple products

204 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by GrammarNazi1(m): 5:02pm On Jan 03, 2020
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

One of Africa's most underated writer Ngugi Wa' Thiong O rightly said that 'Time Changes Everything'.

But it looks like Davido could not pay the reciprocity fee for ChefChi this one she wasn't given a visa.
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by IpobAntidote: 5:02pm On Jan 03, 2020
LMAO, all those supporting Trump. I told you, thanks Trump.
Pls close the consulate self, no more visas for Nigerians.

79 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Checked86: 5:03pm On Jan 03, 2020
Canada says hellooo

21 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by SenecaTheYonger: 5:03pm On Jan 03, 2020
It didn't drop, their embassy just rejected everyone. grin

82 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Humphrizy(m): 5:03pm On Jan 03, 2020
Ok
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by GrammarNazi1(m): 5:03pm On Jan 03, 2020
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

One of...writers...
...Trump's...

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by mokt(m): 5:03pm On Jan 03, 2020
I hope they have Zero applicants soon.

26 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by MrImole: 5:03pm On Jan 03, 2020
Are you serious?
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Neroiam(m): 5:03pm On Jan 03, 2020
Y
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by leonard002(m): 5:04pm On Jan 03, 2020
Them gree give us visa?

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Bakare Family: Canada To Deport Nigerian Family, The Bakares / 18 Passengers Die In Peace Mass Transit Accident / Finally I'm In America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.