Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,594 members, 7,816,464 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion (43823 Views)

Three ABSU Medical Students Die In A Ghastly Motor Accident / Economic Hardship: 46 Professors, Others Die In UNIABUJA, Futminna – ASUU / Meet Simon Nwakacha, The Owner Of Greenfield University (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by jarawa: 6:51am On Jan 05, 2020
...Families Search For Loved Ones

A Professor of Physics and chairman of Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission is feared to be among the six people killed in a gas explosion at the Sabon Tasha area of Kaduna Metropolis on Saturday.

The professor was identified by a green Toyota Highlander car he went to a barber’s shop with to have a hair cut near the scene of the explosion. He is believed to be among those trapped in the barber’s shop as the building collapsed. The building housing the gas shop was completely razed in an ensuing inferno. The professor is said to have hailed from Mallagum, Kagoro. A statement from the community confirming his death by Francis Donatus Gwaza read: “We the Kagoro community regret to announce the death of one of our prominent sons of the land on his way back from the New Year celebration.

“Prof. Simon P. Mallam’s life was lost at [the scene of a] recent gas explosion that took place in Ungwan/Boro of Sabon-Tasha Comminity of Chikun Local Government area in Southern Kaduna. “Before his death, he was a professor of Physics with the Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, and the present chairman of Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission. “May his Soul Rest in Peace and may God Almighty Comfort his entire Family. Amen.”

Another friend of the Mallam family Eli Dangana said his remains were deposited at the Sabon Tasha General Hospital. The premises of major hospitals in Kaduna were besieged by families and friends of people believed to be near the scene of the gas explosion yesterday.

The explosion occurred at about 2: 00 PM on Saturday at the gas shop opposite Total Filling station, Sabon Tasha as the attendants were refilling a cylinder for one of their customers. Immediately the explosion occurred, the entire Sabon Tasha and surrounding quarters were thrown into confusion as people ran in all directions out of fear.

As news of the explosion spread, people who have family members and friends working around the premises scene began frantic search for their loved ones. People thronged the General Hospital Sabon Tasha, St. Gerald Hospital and the Barau Dikko Hospital where the victims were taken. In addition to the professor, the casualties our correspondent learnt, included customers who had gone to purchase gas, attendants and customers in nearby shops as well as passersby.

An eye witness who gave his name as Philip Kambai said he was at a barber’s shop close to the gas shop for a hair cut alongside three other people when the explosion occurred. He said:

“They just finished barbing me and I was going out then I heard boom! I fell down, but I managed to get up. Then I saw fire, so I went behind and climbed a fence and in the process I sustained injuries. “One person also climbed the fence, but I doubt if the barber and two others came out,” he said. Another eye witness who identified himself simply as Bulus said he was passing by on a commercial tricycle when the gas exploded.

“I was inside a Keke Napep when the gas exploded, though I sustained injuries, I am grateful that I survived it,” he said. Several pieces of what appeared to be human flesh were scattered near the scene of the blast. The police were seen picking some of the pieces after they arrived the scene. Firefighters and other security agents arrived the scene and helped in putting out the fire.

But the panic caused by the blast led to serious traffic gridlock on Kachia road, causing people to seek other routes to get to their destinations while security men took over the control of traffic. The police public relations officer in Kaduna State, DSP Yakubu Sabo, when contacted said he was yet to get details about the incident but will try to find out and get back to our correspondent.

The Kaduna State government yesterday condoled the families of those that lost their lives in the gas explosion. The government in a statement by the commissioner for home affairs and internal security, Mr. Samuel Aruwan, said its thoughts were with the families of the victims.
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/atomic-energy-boss-5-others-die-in-kaduna-explosion.html

1 Like

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by helinues: 6:53am On Jan 05, 2020
The title get as it be..

Atomic Energy Boss..... grin grin

Rip to them

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:03am On Jan 05, 2020
The professor was identified by a green Toyota Highlander car he went to a barber’s shop with to have a hair cut near the scene of the explosion. He is believed to be among those trapped in the barber’s shop as the building collapsed. The building housing the gas shop was completely razed in an ensuing inferno
May God never let us go out the day the roads want some blood to suck.
May God always direct our every steps.
May God continually be our guide and guard throughout this Year 2020,
We and our families, friends, neighbors and well-wishers.

May their souls Rest in peace.
perpeling22:
Amen
God bless you ma.

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by englishmart(m): 7:03am On Jan 05, 2020
Very sad news. My Muslim brothers will say it's his time. If he was sleeping at home would he have died?
Rip Prof.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by Ladiesdoctor(m): 7:03am On Jan 05, 2020
Roadside Gas vendor has claimed the life of a Professor.
That's why hazardous businesses shouldn't be encouraged by the roadside.
RIP Prof

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by superior1: 7:04am On Jan 05, 2020
RIP

Result of poor safety management and control

18 Likes

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by EzeNdiAra: 7:05am On Jan 05, 2020
The headline will make you think Nigeria counts, as in 'Research, Science and Technology japs1

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by Bellotelli: 7:05am On Jan 05, 2020
RIP
Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by livebyday(m): 7:05am On Jan 05, 2020
helinues:
The title get as it be..

Atomic Energy Boss..... grin grin

Road side journalism

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by Vision2020a: 7:05am On Jan 05, 2020
A year of better returns

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:05am On Jan 05, 2020
Rip to the dead
May God continue to guide we nairaland in Jesus name
Amen

Happy first Sunday of the year

3 Likes

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by rentAcock(m): 7:06am On Jan 05, 2020
When I read the headline, I thought we now have atomic bomb.

RIP to the dead.

2 Likes

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by braveboy64(m): 7:06am On Jan 05, 2020
Atomic bomb? embarassed
Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by itsme01: 7:06am On Jan 05, 2020
shocked

This is why many fear Nigerians going nuclear with power

common cooking gas we cant manage properly

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by HQuadreal: 7:06am On Jan 05, 2020
Sun re o.
Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by anochuko01(m): 7:07am On Jan 05, 2020
So sad. The man was even an endangered specie

3 Likes

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by abayimi567: 7:07am On Jan 05, 2020
Na wa ooooo.R.i.p

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by naijazee2: 7:07am On Jan 05, 2020
It is well
Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by Jarus(m): 7:07am On Jan 05, 2020
Sàd
Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by NotNairalandi(m): 7:08am On Jan 05, 2020
I don't why some people derive joy in killing their fellow human beings

1 Like

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by Tranquillity360: 7:09am On Jan 05, 2020
So many ways to die in nigeria.

Too bad.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by flowe249(f): 7:09am On Jan 05, 2020
ok

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by Ayoswit(f): 7:10am On Jan 05, 2020
It's a pity, may his soul find eternal rest.

1 Like

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by CAPSLOCKED: 7:10am On Jan 05, 2020
adewumiopeyemi:
May God continue to guide we nairaland in Jesus name
Amen

I'VE ALWAYS LIVED NEAR TWO BIG HOSPITALS THAT SERVE AS EMERGENCY HOSPITALS IN THIS STATE. ON GOD, I COUNT NOT LESS THAN 5 EMERGENCY SIRENS EVERY NIGHT WHILE I SLEEP, I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY CASES OCCUR IN THE DAY WHILE I'M AWAY. FROM ACCIDENTS TO GAS EXPLOSIONS AND THE LIKES. KIDS ARE NOT SPARED. I VISIT REGULARLY TOO WHILE IM AVAILABLE AND IT'S ALWAYS A TERRIFYING EXPERIENCE

I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT THERE'S NO DIVINE PROTECTION ANYWHERE. YOU'LL DIE AND THE WORLD WILL MOVE ON. I'LL DIE TOO AND PEOPLE WILL STILL KEEP CARRYING ON. BUT AS FOR PRAYING TO THE GOD IN YOUR IMAGINATIONS TO SAVE YOU AND PROTECT YOU? IT NEVER WORKS. WE ARE ALL FORTUNATE TO BE HERE NOW, BUT FORTUNE NEVER LASTS FOREVER.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by Ndibunna: 7:11am On Jan 05, 2020
Atomic energy professor ?

Sometimes these guys chose big names and nothing to show for it.

RIP to the dead.

4 Likes

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by Lagbaja01(m): 7:11am On Jan 05, 2020
The title sounds as if the Prof died during an experiment.

7 Likes

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by sylve11: 7:12am On Jan 05, 2020
the write-up na jargon argon. I nor fit just understand wetin the op post. very confusing stuffs up there sad cool

Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by kristisking(m): 7:14am On Jan 05, 2020
Too bad to begin the year this way. This is the more reason why people handling highly flammable substances should be extra careful.May the souls of the departed rest in peace
Re: Simon P. Mallam, 5 Others Die In Kaduna Gas Explosion by dangotesmummy: 7:14am On Jan 05, 2020
Smh

Olorun majeka Rin e -gba-+i ebi banpona.

From haircut he lost his life

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Professor Kokunre Agbontaen-Eghafona Appointed As Pope Adviser / Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG / Tallest University In Nigeria To Unveil In Anambra State(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.