Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,579 members, 7,816,428 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss (2663 Views)

Why A Mathematician Is Preferred To Someone Who Studied Banking For Bank Job / Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship / If You Are A Good Mathematician, Please Open This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by elegantslayer(f): 11:54am On Jan 06, 2020
pls help me solve this....3/2m^2-m-4=0....pls mathematicians should help,I need to he'll my cousin with d answer cos have tried..

1 Like

Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by Kylekent59: 12:02pm On Jan 06, 2020
elegantslayer:
pls help me solve this....3/2m^2-m-4=0....pls mathematicians should help,I need to he'll my cousin with d answer cos have tried..

elegantslayer ,i asked the lady earlier if it was;

3/(2m2- m - 4

of (3/2)m2 - m - 4...... correct

Had it been you told me it was the latter, it's very easy.

Multiply all through by 2

2 x (3/2)m2 - 2 x m - 2 x 4

3m2 - 2m - 8

That's a quadratic equation

It can be solved using Factorization, Completing the square or Almighty formula method.

So let us use the almighty formula because it gives the best result and the most trusted; even in real and complex answer.

-b ± √(b2 - 4ac) / 2a

a= 3, b = -2, c= -8

-(-2) ± √((-2)2 - (-1)(4x3x8))/ 2x3

2± √(4 + 96) / 6

2±√100 / 6

2±10 / 6

2+10 / 6 or 2-10 /6

12/6 or -8/6

m = 2 or -4/3

1 Like

Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by punk4: 12:24pm On Jan 06, 2020
-4/3 and 2 use quadratic formula
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by elegantslayer(f): 12:26pm On Jan 06, 2020
Kylekent59:

Make us understand the question. Is it

3 divides all through 2m^2 - m - 4 = 0or 3/2m^2 - m - 4 = 0

You can also tag Mrshape
pls I don't get u....just check how I wrote d equation down,its same way my cousin bro gave it to me...
@Mrshape,pls come to my rescue oo..
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by elegantslayer(f): 12:28pm On Jan 06, 2020
punk4:
-4/3 and 2
use quadratic formula
pls I wouldn't mind u solving it for me....have tried everything I can and am not ready to start looking into it again..
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by redpencil: 12:53pm On Jan 06, 2020
M=4 or M= √3/2

---Solutions To Questions like this can be found in WAEC/CBT app. Check my signature (Please note: it is not free.)

Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by elegantslayer(f): 1:20pm On Jan 06, 2020
pls send me a clearer version of it....so I can write it out for my cousin to copy...its not clear at all
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by elegantslayer(f): 1:22pm On Jan 06, 2020
redpencil:
M=4 or M= √3/2

---Solutions To Questions like this can be found in WAEC/CBT app. Check my signature (Please note: it is not free.)
pls just send me a clearer version of it so it will be clear for my cousin to write..
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by Kylekent59: 2:58pm On Jan 06, 2020
redpencil:
M=4 or M= √3/2

3 - 2m^2(m-4) = 0

3 - 2m^2 = 0 is wrong bro
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by Chingykay77(m): 3:06pm On Jan 06, 2020
Kylekent59:

3 - 2m^2(m-4) = 0

3 - 2m^2 = 0 is wrong bro

Yeah you're right ..that provided answer is wrong
the question is in quadratic form and must give two answers to m
which is m=-2 or m=4/3
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by redpencil: 5:03pm On Jan 06, 2020
I'm Sorry for the previous mistake.

Please note, this exercise is a modulation of a polynomial equation.

To solve this, we need to use cubic formula.

Let's solve your equation step-by-step.

2m3+8m2−3=0
(Please study the cubic formula below and input the values).

Step 1: Use cubic formula.

m=−3.901454,−0.671286,0.57274
Answer:
m=−3.901454,−0.671286,0.57274

Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by Kylekent59: 5:06pm On Jan 06, 2020
elegantslayer:

ok, solved
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by elegantslayer(f): 5:19pm On Jan 06, 2020
redpencil:

2m3+8m2−3=0 (Please study the cubic formula below and input the values).
m=−3.901454,−0.671286,0.57274 Answer: m=−3.901454,−0.671286,0.57274
is this all??
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by elegantslayer(f): 5:19pm On Jan 06, 2020
redpencil:

2m3+8m2−3=0 (Please study the cubic formula below and input the values).
m=−3.901454,−0.671286,0.57274 Answer: m=−3.901454,−0.671286,0.57274
is this all??
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by elegantslayer(f): 5:25pm On Jan 06, 2020
Pls which of the solution is the correct answer??
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by naturalwaves: 6:57pm On Jan 06, 2020
elegantslayer:
Pls which of the solution is the correct answer??
I am on the road and cannot grab a pen but let me use my phone to solve it.
The answer is m=-4/3 or m=2
Check the pictures atta he'd for a comprehensive solution.

2 Likes

Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by naturalwaves: 7:02pm On Jan 06, 2020
naturalwaves:

The solution up is the correct one. Let us check.
Suppose m is 2 as solved,
(3/2)m²-m-4=0
(3/2)x2²-2-4=0
(3/2)x4-2-4=0
6-2-4=0
0=0
Hence,the solution is correct @elegantslayer.

1 Like

Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by elegantslayer(f): 7:43pm On Jan 06, 2020
naturalwaves:

The solution up is the correct one. Let us check.
Suppose m is 2 as solved,
(3/2)m²-m-4=0
(3/2)x2²-2-4=0
(3/2)x4-2-4=0
6-2-4=0
0=0
Hence,the solution is correct @elegantslayer.
which of the solution is correct, there are many solutions up here nawwww....just quote d solution...
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by elegantslayer(f): 7:49pm On Jan 06, 2020
naturalwaves:

oww I get this....Thanks so much...so wat about this sign^how then did u go about it...
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by Jodha(f): 8:07pm On Jan 06, 2020
elegantslayer:

Is it 3 divided by 2m raised to power 2-m-4?
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by naturalwaves: 8:08pm On Jan 06, 2020
elegantslayer:
which of the solution is correct, there are many solutions up here nawwww....just quote d solution...
The one I solved is correct.
It is a quadratic equation. So, you will have 2 answers for m. I only tested one of the answers to see if it is correct and it is. Both answers are corect.
The correct solution is m= - 4/3 or m=2.
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by Jodha(f): 8:09pm On Jan 06, 2020
It's a quadratic equation sef
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by naturalwaves: 8:21pm On Jan 06, 2020
elegantslayer:
oww I get this....Thanks so much...so wat about this sign^how then did u go about it...
You mean, how to write RAISED TO POWER?
Like m², x², f² etc?

It is quite easy.
There are two ways to do that.

You can use your phone keyboard on Android. When you press the numerical key button(123) and the numbers in your phone are in form of a grid, just long press on a number, it will take it to the power and it will be up as a superscript.

Method 2 is to use the tools on the Nairaland edit tab

Type a letter like X then press the (sup) button on the edit tab. Now, put the power in the middle of the SUP

E.g
If you want to write X³
You will type letter X then you press SUP.
Something like this will appear

X [sup][/sup]

Now, if you put 3 in the middle of the two SUP, by the type you submit, it will come out as X³.

I have attached some images for a better understanding.
Cheers!

Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by naturalwaves: 8:23pm On Jan 06, 2020
Jodha:
It's a quadratic equation sef
Yeah. It is.
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by elegantslayer(f): 8:49pm On Jan 06, 2020
Jodha:

Is it 3 divided by 2m raised to power 2-m-4?
No I don't think so....I wrote d equation down same way my cousin wrote it and gave it to me
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by elegantslayer(f): 8:53pm On Jan 06, 2020
naturalwaves:

You mean, how to write RAISED TO POWER?
Like m², x², f² etc?

It is quite easy.
There are two ways to do that.

You can use your phone keyboard on Android. When you press the numerical key button(123) and the numbers in your phone are in form of a grid, just long press on a number, it will take it to the power and it will be up as a superscript.

Method 2 is to use the tools on the Nairaland edit tab

Type a letter like X then press the (sup) button on the edit tab. Now, put the power in the middle of the SUP

E.g
If you want to write X³
You will type letter X then you press SUP.
Something like this will appear

X [sup][/sup]

Now, if you put 3 in the middle of the two SUP, by the type you submit, it will come out as X³.

I have attached some images for a better understanding.
Cheers!
I meant the sign(^)is in d question
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by Jodha(f): 9:01pm On Jan 06, 2020
naturalwaves:

Yeah. It is.

Why didn't yhu solve with almighty formula... rather than using factorisation method?
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by Jodha(f): 9:01pm On Jan 06, 2020
elegantslayer:
No I don't think so....I wrote d equation down same way my cousin wrote it and gave it to me

I didn't understand the question earlier..but I think I do now..
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by naturalwaves: 9:12pm On Jan 06, 2020
Jodha:

Why didn't yhu solve with almighty formula... rather than using factorisation method?
I just picked 1.
Thats just 1 of 4 ways of solving it.
I can solve it in 4 different ways. Lol
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by Jodha(f): 9:13pm On Jan 06, 2020
naturalwaves:

I just picked 1.
Thats just 1 of 4 ways of solving it.
I can solve it in 4 different ways. Lol

Factorisation
Completing the square
Formulae method
And?
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by naturalwaves: 9:14pm On Jan 06, 2020
elegantslayer:
I meant the sign(^)is in d question
The person typed it with a phone. It means raised to power. X^2 means X raised to the power of 2 i.e X².
Re: A Good Mathematician Is Needed To Solve This Plsssss by naturalwaves: 9:20pm On Jan 06, 2020
Jodha:

Factorisation
Completing the square
Formulae method
And?

A newly discovered method last month. grin
You just pick the coefficient of x, span it in the middle and equate to the C term.
E. G
If you are to solve
X²-16x+48=0
16 is the coefficient of x.
Half of 16 is 8.

We just split this 8 into two parts and write
(8+u)(8-u)=48

U²=16
U= +/- 4

Just subatitute +/-4 into (8+u) and (8-u)
You will get 12 and 4 everytime.

Therefore,
X=4 or x =12 is the solution of the parent quadratic equation
This method was discovered worldwide few weeks ago. wink wink wink wink wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

List Of Public Universities In Germany That Are Tuition Free / Latest Channels On Gotv Jinja TV 2024 / Unn Post Ume Past Questions Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.