Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents (66851 Views)

Police Rescue A Day-Old Baby From A Sewage Tank In Gowon Estate, Lagos / Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died / Second Baby From A Uterus Transplant Born In The U.S.(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by PVision2020(m): 8:22am On Jan 07, 2020
LASG, through the Office of the Public Defender, has averted the death of a 14-day old baby who was severely jaundiced at birth but the parents refused to consent to the urgent blood transfusion recommended for her survival.

Speaking on the incident over the weekend, the Director, Lagos State Office of the Public Defender, Mrs. Olayinka Adeyemi explained that the baby girl (name withheld) was delivered prematurely.

The baby was delivered at a private hospital in Surulere on 18th of December, 2019 to a family residing at Abata Close, Orile-Iganmu.

According to her, the baby at birth was discovered to be severely jaundiced and therefore recommended for urgent blood transfusion to survive.

However, the parents of the girl who are Jehovah Witnesses, and on Medical Insurance (HMO), vehemently opposed the blood transfusion for the baby, citing religious belief and decided to force the discharge of the baby contrary to medical advice.

It was the critical health condition of the baby and deviant position of the parents that made a concerned member of the public inform the Lagos Office of the Public Defender to save the child from untimely death.

Adeyemi said the Agency responded immediately by getting a Court order based on relevant sections of Lagos Child's Rights Law and in collaboration with the Nigerian Police from Adeniji-Adele and Orile Stations rescued the baby from the parents’ home.

Despite stiff resistance from other mobilised members of the Jehovah Witness on 30th December, 2019, the baby was taken to Massey Street Children Hospital for necessary treatment.

She revealed that the rescued baby, who lost weight due to lack of medical attention, is currently enjoying a free medical treatment in line with the current administration's policy of free and qualitative medical services for the people of the State.

She maintained that no responsible and responsive government will fold its arms and allow any parent or guardian to act ignorantly on religious grounds in a way that would be injurious to the life of any other person, especially their children or wards.

She reiterated that the present administration would leave no stone unturned when protecting the rights of women, children, the vulnerable and indigent residents of the Lagos State, irrespective of gender and religion.

She urged the public to take advantage of the OPD’s free legal services to get redress, protection and enforcement of their rights, assuring that the State Government would work assiduously until the supremacy of the rule of law reigns in the State.

Mrs. Adeyemi, therefore, enjoined  all residents to continue to furnish OPD with relevant information on violation of human rights for necessary support and legal action @jidesanwoolu #LASG #ForAGreaterLagos

https://mobile.twitter.com/followlasg/status/1214252677917544449

107 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by donbachi(m): 8:31am On Jan 07, 2020
"GOD"...is the greatest physician...wen him wan form eve,na surgery him carry out and na blood from Adam em use form eve...make dem no dey deceive dem sef...how can I watch my child or wife die,cos my religion condemns blood transfusion...but will be shouting "blood of Jesus" everytime.

223 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by obiekunie2: 8:37am On Jan 07, 2020
this is really nice!

i am of the opinion that the parents should be sued for negligence and intent to commit murder!

that will teach other fanatics that they just cant play with human lives on reasons of religious beleive.

355 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by NaijaDonCast(m): 9:00am On Jan 07, 2020
even oyibo were set those religious beliefs and codes no dey observe am again, Black man just dey die 4 stupidity, i dont know who told alaye blood transfusion is a sin and murdering someone that could be save if medics took it course is not sin

131 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by DonBenny77(m): 9:02am On Jan 07, 2020
JWs are brainwashed fools, na me talk am grin

202 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by Gloriousheart(f): 9:20am On Jan 07, 2020
I still don't understand why they prefer an innocent person dying to blood transfusion. Lagos State government, well done ojare for saving the innocent baby's life.

If it's their adults who choose to die, I won't even bat an eyelid...but for a newborn or child? Abeg, the child has a right to life despite the parents religious beliefs!

110 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by Authoreety: 9:31am On Jan 07, 2020
Respect people's belief

For those quoting me;
I'm not in support of the parents stance, but we should mind what we say or do about what others believe in

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by Nobody: 9:31am On Jan 07, 2020
I still don’t understand how people get brainwashed by all this cruel doctrine.
————
Bible sef concur that faith without work is dead.
Faith - blood transfusion = 0
Blood transfusion - faith = 0
Faith + blood transfusion = Thanksgiving
————-
I wonder how the parent would have felt if they had their way and indirectly killed the child. They would have been fulfilled, shey??

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by Romanoff(f): 9:31am On Jan 07, 2020
Na wa o

I watched an episode of Grey's anatomy where a Jehovah's Witness parent refused their child treatment because of their belief. Guess what?

The mother went behind the husband's back, dropped the boy at the hospital and ran away.

Dr Karev did the surgery and transfusion on the boy, dad came threatening to sue the hospital, the mother spoke up and said I gave birth to him, I will not let him die if something can be done to save him.

Insanity in the name of religion.

290 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by itsme01: 9:31am On Jan 07, 2020
religion extremist

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by ruggedtimi(m): 9:31am On Jan 07, 2020
jehoval witness matter tire me

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by Rei77: 9:31am On Jan 07, 2020
Wetin religion gi cause

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by foolbuster: 9:31am On Jan 07, 2020
Religion is a scam !!
Humanity only needs love.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by Spar7tan(m): 9:31am On Jan 07, 2020
STUPIDITY kills faster than SIN embarassed

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by Nobody: 9:32am On Jan 07, 2020
shocked

This year sickness will not near your household

grin grin
For a great opportunity. Check my signature TODAY!! ]

13 Likes

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by Neroiam(m): 9:32am On Jan 07, 2020
Hmmm ..na wa o
Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by Bacteriologist(m): 9:32am On Jan 07, 2020
And that .. ladies and gentlemen is another reason why I am glad I left religion behind in its entirety.

Authoreety:
Respect people's believe

When it harms no one. Sure. But when it puts innocent people's life at risk -like that of this beautiful little baby- IT WILL BE RESISTED WITH FULL FORCE.

donprinyo:
As far as am concern, de baby does not belong to de parents anymore.
JustCurious:
That child may be ostracized, eventually by the church.... and treated as an infidel.

Yes!!!...so that when the Child comes of age and becomes an adult. He will discover the reason his parents left him and also hated him at such a tender age was because their religion was against him getting a blood transfusion that literally saved his life.

Then SARCASTICALLY the child will be sad that the evil government took him away from his lovely parents who loved him unconditionally and the sympathetic JW religion that would have brought him salvation. Wow!

41 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by sevo(m): 9:33am On Jan 07, 2020
Imagine
Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by wolesmile(m): 9:33am On Jan 07, 2020
Extremism....
You find it in every religion.
JWs drink alcohol like anything o! That one is not against their belief. They do the "F" very well o (at least I dated two in the past. And believe me, They are free givers. To them, it is "Catching fun."wink So it is blood transfusion that is against their belief.

That was how, when I was in secondary school in the late 80s, a teacher of mine lost her child due to religious extremism. She be Deeper Life. We call them SU then. Her child was sick and she refused to take him to the hospital. They kept praying and holding vigil in the house for the poor, innocent child. Even after they lost the child, they still continued the prayer, hoping the poor little thing will resurrect. We learnt it's neighbours that broke down their door after a few days when they couldn't contain the odour from the corpse again.

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by Kingluqman(m): 9:33am On Jan 07, 2020
Their wahala too much jare... when the baby is okay, they should just dash the government jeje.

Set awon were grin grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by donprinyo(m): 9:33am On Jan 07, 2020
As far as am concern, de baby does not belong to de parents anymore.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by Upton: 9:33am On Jan 07, 2020
This shii though
Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by Kylekent59: 9:33am On Jan 07, 2020
kiss

Everyone entitled to his or her own belief

It is a good thing the baby was saved

2 Likes

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by yesloaded: 9:33am On Jan 07, 2020
In this 21st century?

1 Like

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by marvin906(m): 9:34am On Jan 07, 2020
Authoreety:
Respect people's believe

your stupidity is one of a kind

87 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by Funkybabee(f): 9:34am On Jan 07, 2020
That's serious

3days remains for our promo to end... New year sales have began!!!!

3k (custard paint) chinchin

Order while it last
Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by Holamilekan97(m): 9:35am On Jan 07, 2020
Africans and dia stupidity. Imagine oo.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents by fredoooooo: 9:35am On Jan 07, 2020
Very good.. very very good ...

People wey get these religions no even practice it as we do ...

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

I Have Sold Everything Including My Wedding Ring Just To Stay Alive. / All About Baby Poop! / Man’s Affairs With Five Married Women Ends In Mysterious Skin Disease

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.