Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,167 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

Reflections On Nairaland Autos Section And Used-car Sales - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Reflections On Nairaland Autos Section And Used-car Sales (1051 Views)

Movers,shakers,clowns,and Funny Characters Of Autos Section 2021 / Fear Middle Men In Autos Section . / How The 80 Arrested For Fraud by FBI Will affect car sales (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reflections On Nairaland Autos Section And Used-car Sales by cdz: 5:32pm On Jan 08, 2020
I have been on Nairaland for a bit and have spent most of my time here in the Autos section. In that time I have experienced happenings here first as an interested observer and later on as a prospective customer and finally as a used-car seller myself. In the time I have spent here I have experienced the apparent altruism of some members of this forum in helping out people in matters relating to vehicle purchase, vehicle repair issues and general advice and counselling on all matters relating to the theme of the Autos section.

I have witnessed the rise and fall of famous monikers and the forming of cliques and cults around vehicle brands as well as around persons. I have experienced disputes of epic proportions and bitter feuds and devastating and degrading mudslinging sessions. To give some measure of credibility to the claims I make here, allow me to (reluctantly) reference some specific events that have characterised life in this section over time. I will try to do this without specific mention of any moniker except where the mention is complimentary because, as I have said already, I've been here long enough to know what has the potential to tick off a massive rant.

Let me begin with the damning allegations of fraud and underhanded dealings levelled against some hitherto illustrious car-dealer monikers here in the section which actually tolled the death knell for those monikers, effectively. There is also the famous business-deal-gone-awry rift between a popular dealer here and another popular moniker that drew the attention of many and spurned a bitter rift that snowballed into the formation of opposing belligerent cliques that took their battle to just about any other thread in this section and culminated in the institution of some tenuous 'cyber peace' accord that came in the wake of allegations and counter allegations of proliferation of multiple monikers by some individuls. In the mix of the dramas we also find the 'full disclosure' crusade which kicked off with the noble intention of exposing dubious vehicle-sale ads in the section with a view to protecting innocent, non-initiate prospective buyers. Sadly, this too degenerated to personal attacks on some individuals.

It hasn't been all gloom and mud-slinging, though. It was here that I first caught a glimpse of the coming to town of Car Quest and Radautowrks. I stealthily monitored the slow progress of their setting up process and I remember how I impatiently awaited the dismantling of the scaffolding around their office building at some point. The emergence of Radautowrks birthed the moniker fondly referred to by some as Aunty Radu - regrettably, not even this one-of-a-kind lady was spared the bare-faced hostility of this section. I mean, how often do you come across a lady whose depth of technical knowledge concerning cars leaves you with the impression that you're dealing with a man? So, I hope that you, dear reader, are convinced when I say that I've been here for a bit and I've seen things happen. Now to the crux of the matter: vehicle sales.

Nairaland is not an easy place to buy or sell cars. As a prospective buyer, you have to navigate the murky waters of rolled back and actual mileage, clean and 'unclean' (salvage) title and disclosure/non-disclosure of Vehicle Identification Number - for possible forensics on an intended buy. As a dealer on the other hand, you have to contend with the deluge of 'unserious' buyers flooding your thread and throwing business-wrecking tantrums strong enough to simply kill your sales. But my sympathy lies with the honest prospective buyer who visits here in the hope of finding an equally honest dealer and a good deal. What should such a fellow have in mind? A few things.

The first of these is that tokunbo cars come at a significant cost to the dealer. If the car has a clean title and is in very good physical condition all around, chances are it cost a pretty penny to acquire, ship and clear at the ports. If you put all of that together and add on a slim margin of profit, there is a minimum below which you just cannot sell the car or else you would have gone through all that trouble just to gift the buyer-stranger a car.
The secret to good sales for any dealer in a largely saturated auto market, is to get a good and popular vehicle at a good price and then sell at below general market value.

However, for the foregoing to happen, one of several factors must play to the dealer's advantage: he either gets an incredible deal at purchase or he miraculously ships for free or manages to clear the vehicle at the ports at some miraculous discount. Of these three factors, only the first is likely - the others are not. Any attempt to force the other factors will result in the cutting of corners and this will prove costly for the eventual buyer of the vehicle.

The one decision that a prospective car buyer must take before seriously venturing here is to confirm to himself that he is willing to deal with the ugly truth about used cars, or indulge in the beautiful lie instead. My experience is that the ugly truth gives you the best of deals as a buyer but sweet beautiful lies give you short-term pleasure followed by long-term heartache. Now, what is the ugly truth in car sales?

I have known a few down-to-earth fellows who have bought accidented vehicles, just as the dealer cleared them from the ports, with a view to effecting the repairs themselves. At first glance this might seem an irrational move but guess what, this is one of the surest ways to be certain of the condition of the vehicle you are buying. The ugly truth here is the raw state of the accidented vehicle in question and the advantage of this to the buyer is that he is able to drive a good bargain, given the state of the car. Now please note that there is 'accidented' and there is 'accidented'. The watch word would be to look out for vehicles whose safety features such as supplemental restraint systems and, especially, airbags are not compromised by the accident. This is one of the surest ways you can get your hands on a modern car with low mileage and impressive aesthetics - after the repairs of course.

The beautiful lie on the other hand is when a dealer imports a heavily accidented vehicle, fixes it the best he can and puts it on sale at a relatively, unbelievably low price. Anyone who buys such a car has but himself to blame for investing in a beautiful lie. However, let's not condemn the victim here. The only practice that absolves a dealer of guilt in this scenario is full disclosure - let the buyer know the original state of what he is about to buy. Anything short of this is simply fraud. I know how hard it is to do this considering that the information you provide may cost you a much coveted sale. But hey, this is what sets you apart from a monster. So do it anyway. Your conscience will thank you for it.

Finally, dealers and buyers are the lifeblood of this section and can be mutually beneficial to one another. We just have to bear a few simple rules in mind. If you, a dealer, were a buyer, how would you rather be treated by the seller? What honest information would you appreciate concerning the vehicle you're about to buy? Do same for your clients. And if you, a buyer, were a dealer and you had an ad on here, what would you rather not have anyone (serious or unserious buyer) do with your hustle? Don't do that to anyone either. In all, respect is just a minimum; let's spread it.

Peace.

12 Likes

Re: Reflections On Nairaland Autos Section And Used-car Sales by talk2odim: 5:47pm On Jan 08, 2020
Beautiful unbiased write up......

1 Like

Re: Reflections On Nairaland Autos Section And Used-car Sales by Trustme2(m): 5:59pm On Jan 08, 2020
Good
Re: Reflections On Nairaland Autos Section And Used-car Sales by cdz: 11:35am On Jan 09, 2020
talk2odim:
Beautiful unbiased write up......

Thank you. I'm surprised you read it to the end but I'm happy you consider it useful.

1 Like

Re: Reflections On Nairaland Autos Section And Used-car Sales by cdz: 11:36am On Jan 09, 2020
Trustme2:
Good

Thank you.
Re: Reflections On Nairaland Autos Section And Used-car Sales by dicksonadams(m): 11:43am On Jan 09, 2020
Nice one
Re: Reflections On Nairaland Autos Section And Used-car Sales by cdz: 1:20pm On Jan 09, 2020
dicksonadams:
Nice one

Thanks.
Re: Reflections On Nairaland Autos Section And Used-car Sales by talk2odim: 5:27pm On Jan 25, 2020
cdz:

Thank you. I'm surprised you read it to the end but I'm happy you consider it useful.

It is a good read......only natural one would read to the end.
Re: Reflections On Nairaland Autos Section And Used-car Sales by cdz: 3:41pm On Feb 05, 2020
talk2odim:

It is a good read......only natural one would read to the end.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Re: Reflections On Nairaland Autos Section And Used-car Sales by emmancecute(m): 3:58pm On Feb 05, 2020
Beautiful masterpiece, you said it all Sir.
Re: Reflections On Nairaland Autos Section And Used-car Sales by cdz: 6:14am On Feb 06, 2020
emmancecute:
Beautiful masterpiece, you said it all Sir.

Well, thank you too, Sir, for reading it.
Re: Reflections On Nairaland Autos Section And Used-car Sales by radautoworks: 3:57pm On Aug 17, 2020
cdz:
I have been on Nairaland for a bit and have spent most of my time here in the Autos section. In that time I have experienced happenings here first as an interested observer and later on as a prospective customer and finally as a used-car seller myself. In the time I have spent here I have experienced the apparent altruism of some members of this forum in helping out people in matters relating to vehicle purchase, vehicle repair issues and general advice and counselling on all matters relating to the theme of the Autos section.

I ...

. And if you, a buyer, were a dealer and you had an ad on here, what would you rather not have anyone (serious or unserious buyer) do with your hustle? Don't do that to anyone either. In all, respect is just a minimum; let's spread it.

Peace.

This is a very well thought out post I stumbled on today.

(1) (Reply)

Registered Clean First Body 2003/2004 Toyota Camry -n900k / SOLD! SOLD!! SOLD!!! **QUICK QUICK** Tokumbo 2008 Camry Muscle For 1.9m! / few

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.