Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,869 members, 7,817,567 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya (2416 Views)

Dead Bodies Found In The Foundation Of A Building In Enugu (Photos) / I Was Paid Only N10,000- Cousin Of School Girl Taken To Libya / Missing Schoolgirl’s Bones Found Two Weeks After (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya by Ovularia: 11:07am On Dec 04, 2010
I saw bodies, bones of many travellers in the desert on the way to Libya – Trafficked girl

By Comfort Oseghale
Saturday, 4 Dec 2010

A teenager, who found herself in Tripoli, Libya, narrates her tortuous journey through the Sahara Desert, and how some desperate groups recruit young Nigerian girls for prostitution in the North African country to Comfort Oseghale

Bola, a 15-year-old Senior Secondary School pupil in Ikorodu, Lagos, has had her world turned around in one month without preparing for it. While her peers were taking summer classes last August, she was one of several girls who were being transported in trucks across the Sahara Desert to Libya. She is, however, lucky to still be alive to tell the story.

As a pupil in boarding, Bola spends nearly all of her time at school. “I am on a scholarship; I have been on it since I was in Primary Four,” she says. The only child of divorced parents, she spends most of her holidays either at the boarding house or the home of her school proprietor, who lives within the school premises. Last August while the school session drew to a close, and her peers made plans for holiday lessons, Bola decided to take up a holiday job.

“I told my mum that I wanted to get a job during the holidays; I wanted save some money before I gain admission into the university. My mum told me her pastor assists the members with jobs. I had to wait though for my aunt, Lola, who was at Ilesa, then trying to get admission into the university because my mother arranged that the pastor would help the two of us to get holiday jobs. A few days later, Lola joined Bola in Lagos and the girls went to Ikorodu to meet the pastor.

A woman known to everyone as Mama Blessing showed up moments later. She is the pastor’s friend. And with this set-up, the journey of these girls to Tripoli, Libya, began. The prophet and Mama Blessing, it turned out, only tricked people to recruit young girls for a prostitution ring in the North African country.

But in an interview with SATURDAY PUNCH at the office of the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons, Ikeja, Lagos, where she is currently being detained, Mama Blessing claimed ignorance of the trafficking trade. “I am just a trader and sell foodstuffs at the market. Pastor knew that my daughter Blessing had come in from Libya and she asked me to assist Bola and Lola in finding jobs in Libya. All I did was to hand them over to my daughter,” she claimed.

As Bola recalled, the girls were taken to the Ogolonto, Ikorodu, Lagos, residence of Mama Blessing from where they were to take off days later to Kano in company with one Ibrahim, a friend of Blessing, while Bola and Lola were oblivious that the journey to Libya had begun. The young girls were joined by two other girls, who came with Ibrahim. “Ibrahim kept making calls during the journey. It seemed he was receiving directions from someone,” Bola said. At Kano, the group was met by a Hausa man driving a Golf car; they were to continue the next phase of their journey with him. After a while, two motorcycles trailed the Golf car. “I was scared when I noticed them. It was not until we stopped that I realised that the cyclists were meant for us,” she added. After three trips, everyone was ferried across safely into Niger Republic by the motorcyclists. “The network signal on my phone changed to an Orange symbol and I then realised that we were in another country. We were kept in a hut and warned not to make any noise,” Bola said.

Shortly after, Bola and her fellow travellers were joined by a group of boys and girls, who were being led by Blessing and her accomplice. It was a congregation of various Nigerian tribes and African nations. “There were Igbo, Bini, Ishan and Yoruba. There were also Ghanaians,” Bola recalled. A few days later, they moved again, this time by bus: at night. Describing this journey as terrifying, Bola said the group encountered rebels on the way. She said, “At a point, some Nigerien rebels were shooting at the bus and trying to stop, but the driver continued moving. I was told that if we stopped, we would be robbed and all the girls despoiled.”

Eventually, the bus made it to Dirkou, where the girls spent a few more days with their traffickers, sequestered from prying eyes. “We moved again from Dirkou to Agadez in an open-air pick-up truck. We were loaded into the back of the truck like animals and had to sit tightly packed together,”she said. The journey was more horrifying than the last for Bola. The sun was so hot that when the travellers stopped for a brief rest, their shoes almost melted ontheir feet in the hot sand. The desert route was littered with the bones of animals and dead travellers who had gone before them. The ride was bumpy and rough. Once, the truck in which Bola was loaded with others, had an accident; it fell on its side and turned again on its head, emptying its human cargo on top of the corpses that littered the desert.

“I lost consciousness while the other girls screamed. My clothes were pulled from me and they poured water on me before I revived. Meanwhile, our Arab driver started beating us. He was angry because he had warned us earlier not to make any noise. With the help of fellow travellers who were coming behind us in pick-ups, we were able to bring up the fallen truck,” she said.

At Agadez, all the girls were interviewed separately, “It was during the interview I was told we were being taken to Libya for prostitution; I refused and told my interviewer there was no way I would become a love-peddler, that I was still a virgin,” Bola said. Unknown to her, one Ade, a member of the ring, who interviewed her, had contacted Bola’s prospective master in Libya, named Gani with the news. “It was later I discovered that Gani had ordered Ade to do what he could to deflower me,” said the teenager, who alleged that Ade despoiled her a few days after the interview. “I bled profusely, it was terrible.” she lamented.

Not long after this, the contingent started the journey to their final destination in Libya. “We were loaded into about 16 trailers, girls and boys from various countries and all the vehicles moved in a convoy. The journey was rough because of the rocks and sand along the road. At times, some of us would be thrown into the air with each bump,” she said, recalling a moment when a young girl fell off one of the trucks. “We had to scream and shout for the driver to stop because he couldn’t speak English. Eventually, he stopped and went to get her.” According to Bola, it took three days to get to Libya by road from Agadez. “I later learnt that the trailer Blessing boarded took about two weeks to get to Libya because it broke down on the way.”

Once in Libya, the girls were handed over to their various ‘masters,’ who had paid for them. She continued, “I was taken to Gani, who owned a brothel and was told that I had to work and pay off my debt of $3,000. Despite my protests, cotton was forced into me before the start of work after which it was removed. The cotton was meant to prevent spermatozoa from getting inside me. Each time the cotton wool was pulled out, I bled again.

However, salvation came for Bola through a Sudanese customer. “I was to spend the night with him. I took the advantage of the opportunity and used his phone to call my mum,” added the distressed senior secondary pupil, who explained that the emotional conversation was in Yoruba. Bola’s mum was devastated.

Even at that, help did not come immediately. “I fell ill shortly after that. I kept bleeding and my private part was swollen. Gani then sent me away to live with his friends so I could get better. They didn’t take me to a hospital because they didn’t want to incur more expenses, but kept treating me at home,” she said. Words of Bola’s predicament soon spread among the Yoruba community in Libya until it got to the members of the Oodua Peoples Congress. Bola continued, “They were very angry with Gani because he was one of them. They told me that any girl being brought to Libya was usually told what to expect and given a choice to either accept or decline the offer. They said since I was a virgin and had declined the offer of prostitution.” It was the pressure the OPC mounted on Gani that eventually forced him to pay for my flight to Nigeria. He had to quickly arrange for a travelling certificate and bought me clothes and shoes.”

Now that she is back home, Bola is anxious to continue with her education. “I just want to quickly get back to school and continue from where I left off. I don’t mind taking extra classes to make up what I have lost so I can write my WASC next year. I feel sorry though for the girls I left behind and those whose bones littered the desert. I met a girl who had actually completed her youth service before she was brought to Libya by her aunt. So many like that have lost hope of returning to Nigeria,” she added.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201012041133621

Re: I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya by birdman(m): 9:20am On Dec 09, 2010
What happened to the other girls. They just left them behind? lipsrsealed
Re: I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya by Achiles: 2:16pm On Dec 11, 2010
What a pathetic story.
Re: I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya by bashr4: 1:20am On Dec 16, 2010
THIS IS A JUST A CASE OF LIBYA, THER ARE THOUSANDS OF CASES LIKE THIS UNFORTUNATELY WE DONT HAVE A GOVERNMENT IN NIGERIA AND AFRICA.
Re: I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya by okooloyun1(m): 12:17am On Oct 17, 2011
Only God can save us from the hands of wicked and heartless people in this country.
Re: I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya by TotoSmells(f): 2:33am On Oct 17, 2011
Most of these stories are one sided .
Re: I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya by Nobody: 10:01am On Mar 22, 2021
birdman:
What happened to the other girls. They just left them behind? lipsrsealed
I heard something similar to this yesterday on fresh FM
Re: I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya by LilSmith55(m): 3:59pm On Mar 22, 2021
ZINIIBANKS:

About the guy that was Kidnapped
Re: I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya by fait10(m): 4:45pm On Mar 22, 2021
hmm
Re: I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya by Nobody: 4:56pm On Mar 22, 2021
LilSmith55:

About the guy that was Kidnapped
Yes you heard it too?
Re: I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya by SweetVibe: 5:13pm On Mar 22, 2021
ZINIIBANKS:
you just quoted a 2010 thread.
Re: I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya by Mayng01(m): 5:45pm On Mar 22, 2021
Do we really have a government in this country? Nope.
Re: I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya by Bornboy4: 7:18pm On Mar 22, 2021
Terrible!
Re: I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya by gbaskiboy: 8:12pm On Mar 22, 2021
What a pathetic story! So you touching!!!
Re: I Saw Bodies, Bones Of Many Travellers In The Desert On The Way To Libya by LilSmith55(m): 8:13pm On Mar 22, 2021
ZINIIBANKS:

Yes you heard it too?
I didn't but someone told me abi it

Libya.....

Dere are million cases like this

(1) (Reply)

Gunmen Open Fire On Mourners At Funeral, Kill 16 In Anambra (photos) / See How I Caught This Cheap Scammer On Facebook (photos) / HOW OPEOLUWA ELISHA SCAMMED A HOUSE SEEKER AT OBADORE LAGOS STATE beware!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.