Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,811 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:13 PM

Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback (1843 Views)

I Have Free WIFI At My Disposal. Give Me Links To Download Programming Tutorials / Best Programming Language To Learn This 2021: The Beginner's Guide / Programming Tutorials (100% Free) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback by ilyasmuy: 2:38pm On Jan 10, 2020
Hi Guys,
I (and a friend) are creating video tutorials to teach Africans software development and data science.
Though there are tons of video tutorials online, we feel our videos are more ideal especially for Africans for these two reasons

Firstly, we focus heavily on programming concepts and methodologies. We believe that if a student understands programming concepts, then the actual coding becomes very easy and students can learn any other language/framework easily since programming concepts are the same, just the syntaxes are different.

Secondly, to understand programming concepts effectively, we use illustrations that are related to African environment, plus we drew our examples and exercises from interview questions obtainable at big tech companies.

Here is the link to part 1 of PHP videos for beginners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNnbgYp1GLA

Other videos like HTML, CSS, Javascript, Python & SQL are coming soon.

So I need your feedback on this video. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Thanks

@ lordZOUGA, @Javanian, @kodewrita @Lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback by hardebayho(m): 5:45am On Jan 11, 2020
Okay. I only watched a few minutes of the videos, but I feel like that's enough for me to make a review.

The videos are awesome, and I love the way you chose your words. They're pretty easy to understand, even for someone new to programming... I also like the step-by-step approach, as it helps people follow the tutorials and not get lost mid-way (I hope that was consistent throughout the video?).

The only issue I have though, is how many people you'll expect to watch a three-hour video of computer programming tutorials. I know it's nice to cover all the concepts in one video, but the problem is that we humans can only strain our brain for so long before we start getting tired, and since it's not a movie, only few of us will be able to finish watching the entire video. My point is, I think it's better to split the video into parts so as not to overwhelm beginners.

Nice work nevertheless. Keep up the good work (as Mavis Beacon says).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback by ilyasmuy: 8:03am On Jan 11, 2020
hardebayho:
Okay. I only watched a few minutes of the videos, but I feel like that's enough for me to make a review.

The videos are awesome, and I love the way you chose your words. They're pretty easy to understand, even for someone new to programming... I also like the step-by-step approach, as it helps people follow the tutorials and not get lost mid-way (I hope that was consistent throughout the video?).

The only issue I have though, is how many people you'll expect to watch a three-hour video of computer programming tutorials. I know it's nice to cover all the concepts in one video, but the problem is that we humans can only strain our brain for so long before we start getting tired, and since it's not a movie, only few of us will be able to finish watching the entire video. My point is, I think it's better to split the video into parts so as not to overwhelm beginners.

Thanks so much for the message. I really appreciate. I will be uploading the split version today.
Once again, thanks

1 Like

Re: Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback by hardebayho(m): 7:06pm On Jan 11, 2020
ilyasmuy:

Thanks so much for the message. I really appreciate. I will be uploading the split version today.
Once again, thanks

Anytime bro

1 Like

Re: Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback by GeoAfrikana(m): 3:28am On Jan 12, 2020
hardebayho:

I quite agree with all your points.

However, the issue you mentioned is the opposite of what I like.

I like to stream a few minutes of video tutorials on YouTube, if the video impresses me, I give a like and I download the whole video for later.

I like having just one long video; it's easier to download and manage. In fact, I have a Python video of about 13hrs on my PC. I've watched about six hours.

True, it's not a movie and that's why it shouldn't be treated like a movie. Tutorials are meant to be consumed in piece-meals (even if the tutor serves it at once). I like to treat those long video tutorials as a big book that you read little by little for weeks (or even months) from cover to cover.

Allaah kemu.

4 Likes

Re: Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback by hardebayho(m): 5:08pm On Jan 12, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

I quite agree with all your points.

However, the issue you mentioned is the opposite of what I like.

I like to stream a few minutes of video tutorials on YouTube, if the video impresses me, I give a like and I download the whole video for later.

I like having just one long video; it's easier to download and manage. In fact, I have a Python video of about 13hrs on my PC. I've watched about six hours.

True, it's not a movie and that's why it shouldn't be treated like a movie. Tutorials are meant to be consumed in piece-meals (even if the tutor serves it at once). I like to treat those long video tutorials as a big book that you read little by little for weeks (or even months) from cover to cover.

Allaah kemu.

You have a point bro, but do you know that there's a higher tendency for you to abandon that 13-hour video without finish watching it? It's just like this book I just downloaded on Reverse Engineering. This book is really great, but it's about 1000+ pages, and I'm like, "I want to finish reading this thing, so I can get on with my this reversing thing. But with these 1000+ pages in front of me, when will I finish so that I can start doing my stuff?"

And to talk about needing crucial information, It's easy to find a video that talks about only the topics you really need at the moment than for you to start searching one monolithic video for a section where they covered stuff. As you said though, sometimes, it's really good for everything to be in one place, so it's one or the other.

1 Like

Re: Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback by GeoAfrikana(m): 4:59am On Jan 13, 2020
hardebayho:

You have a point bro, but do you know that there's a higher tendency for you to abandon that 13-hour video without finish watching it? It's just like this book I just downloaded on Reverse Engineering. This book is really great, but it's about 1000+ pages, and I'm like, "I want to finish reading this thing, so I can get on with my this reversing thing. But with these 1000+ pages in front of me, when will I finish so that I can start doing my stuff?"

And to talk about needing crucial information, It's easy to find a video that talks about only the topics you really need at the moment than for you to start searching one monolithic video for a section where they covered stuff. As you said though, sometimes, it's really good for everything to be in one place, so it's one or the other.

Very true. Hopefully YouTube's timestamp feature may be a solution to your observation.

1 Like

Re: Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback by ilyasmuy: 10:06am On Jan 14, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

Very true. Hopefully YouTube's timestamp feature may be a solution to your observation.
Yes. Thanks for your contribution

1 Like

Re: Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback by ilyasmuy: 7:55am On Jan 19, 2020

1 Like

Re: Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback by cute75(m): 3:46pm On Jan 26, 2020
Have be watching your videos....its clear and easy to understand.... Thanks.... Pray to be good in PHP in three months. Thanks again

1 Like

Re: Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback by trytillmake(m): 1:17pm On Jan 27, 2020
kudos Boss, pls continue

1 Like

Re: Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback by ilyasmuy: 5:44pm On Feb 08, 2020
cute75:
Have be watching your videos....its clear and easy to understand.... Thanks.... Pray to be good in PHP in three months. Thanks again

Thanks
Re: Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback by ilyasmuy: 5:46pm On Feb 08, 2020
trytillmake:
kudos Boss, pls continue
Thanks, we already uploaded the video . Pyhton is coming soon

1 Like

Re: Creating Best Programming Tutorials For Africans - Need Feedback by Chinedumagnus05(m): 10:00am On Dec 30, 2020
Tutorials!! Tutorials!! Tutorials!!

Become a Programmer/Developer( Web and App)

Join our Executive Classes in:
1. Web Development: using html, CSS , JavaScript, node. js, react.js angular etc.
2. App Development: Android, Apple ios

Training Syllabus:
*introduction to front end development.
* intro to html
* intermediate html
* introduction to css
*intermediate css
*bootstrap
* introduction to javascript
* javay basic control flow
* javascript basic functions
* javascript basic arrays
* javascript basic objects
*dom manipulation
* advanced dom manipulation
* color game project
* introduction to jquery
* advanced jquery
* todo list projects
*optional project patatap *clone
*backend basics
*the comand line
*nodejs
*server side frameworks
*intermediate express
*working with apis
*yelpcamp basics
*databases
*yelpcamp data persistence
*restful routing
*data associations
*yelpcamp comments
*authentication
*yelpcamp adding *authentication
*yelpcamp cleaning up
*git and guthub
*deploying
*javascript the tricky stuff.

For Enquiries call: 07016551055

(1) (Reply)

Java SE, EE & Scala Developers - Lets Connect And Share Knowledge / Jokeflick (my First Android App) - Testers Needed / Wordpress Payment Integration..stanbic CIPG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.