Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,743 members, 7,813,436 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

Man's First Name Or His Surname - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man's First Name Or His Surname (4395 Views)

Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s / Man Changes His Surname To His Mother’s Name / Howard Sueing III Ekundayo: American Man Adopts Nigerian Wife’s Surname (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man's First Name Or His Surname by dljbd1(m): 1:20pm On Jan 11, 2020
Hi guys,

So I had an argument with my woman some months back about a wife and child bearing the man's first name or his surname.

So I'm pushing the question out here to know what you guys think.

An example...lets say my names are Emeka Frank Udo (Udo being my surname - which is also like my family name)
Now I marry and my wife wanna bear Jessica Emeka rather than Jessica Udo (my kids likewise)

What do you guys think?

No curses please...thanks.
Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by GloriaNinja(f): 1:23pm On Jan 11, 2020
undecided SURNAME IS BETTER JOOR

2 Likes

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by nifemi25(m): 1:24pm On Jan 11, 2020
Surname is really important.....

1 Like

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by dljbd1(m): 1:37pm On Jan 11, 2020
nifemi25:
Surname is really important.....
GloriaNinja:

My stance exactly. smiley

I really love my surname. Its a pride for me bearing it. I am also proud of my other names but I would prefer my wife and kids bear theirs alongside my surname rather than my first name.

1 Like

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by Ovo04(m): 1:42pm On Jan 11, 2020
I’m married with a son and they both answer my native name not my surname. My wife is married to me not my forefathers.
I also did research and most people now use their own name not their ancient fathers name.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by dljbd1(m): 2:15pm On Jan 11, 2020
Ovo04:
I’m married with a son and they both answer my native name not my surname. My wife is married to me not my forefathers.
I also did research and most people now use their own name not their ancient fathers name.
Interesting.
Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by dljbd1(m): 2:16pm On Jan 11, 2020
More comments please.

Thanks.
Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by Lamanii22(f): 3:37pm On Jan 11, 2020
Surname's cool rather than his name.. Or she can combine your name and surname together

2 Likes

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by poshestmina(f): 5:27pm On Jan 11, 2020
Depends on your tribe (according to my dad though) .

From South south,it's always "FIRST NAME, YOUR DAD'S NAME AND SURNAME" eg Ibinabo Sotonye(my dad's 1st name) then Tamunoburna (the general family name).

You can't change the main surname unfortunately ,you can only add yours as the middle name.e g,Mrs Nairaland (then the husband's 1st name) before the MAIN SURNAME .

Don't know about other tribes though!

PS: don't try looking for any Ibimina Sotonye Tamunoburna cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.

2 Likes

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by mzhorlah(f): 5:44pm On Jan 11, 2020
Both are nice but it depends on which one you want to choose.I used to answer my dad’s surname before he changed it himself to his first name.
Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by Wetlink: 6:10pm On Jan 11, 2020
You wife is only trying to give your own name a sense of relevance.
But since you love your family name, Your wife and kids can bear the both.

For example, Jessica Frank-Udo.
That way, she can be easily recognized as your wife especially when there are other women married into your family bearing the family name (Udo)

Las Las, whichever one you guys decide to go with is absolutely fine.

2 Likes

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by lilyheaven: 11:41pm On Jan 11, 2020
My husband name o
Including my children

3 Likes

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by Uyi168: 9:37am On Jan 12, 2020
GloriaNinja:
Do people still use surname??
I use my dad's name..likewise my siblings..

1 Like

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by Uyi168: 9:38am On Jan 12, 2020
Ovo04:
Very correct ...
Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by ImaIma1(f): 1:10pm On Jan 12, 2020
I bear my husband's 1st name as my middle name and then his surname. That's another way to do it. That's my culture anyway

1 Like

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by Octopusssy(f): 8:46pm On Jan 12, 2020
Where I come from the family name must not be allowed to die out so every male child and his offsprings must bear the last name of their ancestors.

1 Like

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by skentelelady(f): 11:24pm On Jan 12, 2020
Wetlink:
You wife is only trying to give your own name a sense of relevance.
But since you love your family name, Your wife and kids can bear the both.

For example, Jessica Frank-Udo.
That way, she can be easily recognized as your wife especially when there are other women married into your family bearing the family name (Udo)

Las Las, whichever one you guys decide to go with is absolutely fine.

This is sweet and cool

God forbids the cousins having sexual affairs becos couples decided to use only his first name. Using the first + surname or only surname will still warrants asking questions about family background especially if the 2 young lovers bear the same surname
Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by MoonandStar: 11:29pm On Jan 12, 2020
Ovo04:

This is how it's done in the north, I know this when I was working at National Population Commission in Yola. I also prefer hubby's name to his surname but because he is the only son so I decided to bear his father name not his forefather's name.

1 Like

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by We4all: 11:55pm On Jan 12, 2020
A name is just a name, and if a husband, wife, son or daughter decide not to use the family's name, then fine by me.

In this part of the world, we attach too much important to trivial issues, and 'family's name' is one of them. I believe everyone should have their own identity. As a matter of fact, in a few days time, I'll have a name different from my family's name. It's my way of creating my own identity.

1 Like

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by darfay: 4:03am On Jan 13, 2020
Surname is better abeg, I don't want my brothers children and mine to have different surnames abeg.if you start changing yours, you will start distancing(figuratively) from your immediate family and not even your extended family . The only reason why you should change is, if your surname has a meaning that isn't nice if not I don't see why

3 Likes

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by Pavore9: 6:10am On Jan 13, 2020
There is this trend that I have noticed, where some men are cutting off from their family names saying it is diabolic and has fetish origins, when registering their children' births they omit the surname.
Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by Krystalluv(f): 9:34am On Jul 17, 2020
Please someone should explain this better to me, can I take hubby's first name as my surname? Is it legally acceptable with no social or adverse effect?
Or which is better? Hubby's first name or his surname?
Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by frozen70(f): 10:21am On Jul 17, 2020
dljbd1:
Hi guys,

So I had an argument with my woman some months back about a wife and child bearing the man's first name or his surname.

An example...lets say my names are Emeka Frank Udo (Udo being my surname - which is also like my family name)
Now I marry and my wife wanna bear Jessica Emeka rather than Jessica Udo (my kids likewise)

What do you guys think?

This is a very simple case

If you want your own name to move on in addition to your father surname

They can bear Frank-Udo

It's still a reflection of your name and your father's name

But if you want them to bear Frank alone, it will not really relate with the other cousins name

Because of the future, every one must have a root to be identified with

2 Likes

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by ireneidiva(f): 10:24am On Jul 17, 2020
ImaIma1:
I bear my husband's 1st name as my middle name and then his surname. That's another way to do it. That's my culture anyway
What of your own middle name?
Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by ImaIma1(f): 12:31pm On Jul 17, 2020
ireneidiva:

What of your own middle name?

My siblings and I had our father's first name as our middle name, plus my mother too. It's our culture.

So when the woman gets married she has to drop it along with the surname. So it changed to my husband's first name.
Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by RenaissanceGuy: 12:49pm On Jul 17, 2020
I have already made up my mind: my wife shall bear my own name. At the worst, it'll be a combination of my name and my surname. I shall not be a party to that nonsense Western culture grin that makes people's first name useless
Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by ireneidiva(f): 12:57pm On Jul 17, 2020
ImaIma1:

My siblings and I had our father's first name as our middle name, plus my mother too. It's our culture.

So when the woman gets married she has to drop it along with the surname. So it changed to my husband's first name.
Ok. I understand.
Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by olawalepopoola: 7:35pm On Jul 17, 2020
Family name is more important. It will not affect you but your unborn generation.
Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by AmadorSays: 7:42pm On Jul 17, 2020
Personally I feel it's a matter of choice, they are all your names, yes! we get the idea that upholding a family name through time is legendary but we have seen instances where the family name becomes a thorn in the flesh, do you now expect the person to stick to a surname that is now a curse? We have to learn to accept change to put us is a condition that is convenient and flexible like the idea of using *444# to to recharge from any bank of your choice. It's as easy as that, so this should be a decision between you and your spouse to achieve harmony and a better future.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by bukatyne(f): 7:51pm On Jul 17, 2020
True, the new fad is husband's first name-Surname as wife's surname.

I just wonder what would ha3in future if people can no longer trace their roots or larger families.

If the surname has a negative meaning, let them change it to a uniform name and move on.

Again, if your surname is notable, it wouldnot be easy to dump.

The Dangotes, Otedolas, Alakijas etc. wouldn't have this worry.

Perhaps this is some of the mindset that makes some families greater than others.

2 Likes

Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 17, 2020
Ideally a child and his mother supposed to bear the man's first name but then it becomes difficult to trace such a man's family to a particular FAMILY NAME. So to avoid that, there must be orderliness, which is to bear the man's father name.
Re: Man's First Name Or His Surname by NoToPile: 7:32am On Jul 18, 2020
dljbd1:
Hi guys,

What do you guys think?

I don't get it, does the surname have a bad meaning.

I am beginning to notice lots of families bearing their fathers name and the family surname as surname e.g Joshua mike-bamiloye and personally I don't fancy it, its still a bit better though because the family name is attached, now imagine if the person I stated bears Joshua Mike as your wife wants to what then happens to the family name.

Before got married if I see anyone bearing my surname, I know we must be related, my grandfather left the family name and his children began to bear his name as surname now when I am asked which family I am from I don't mention my maiden surname I mention the original surname of the family. I am from S family and they understand immediately but if I tell them my grandfather's name they begin to look confused.

Lastlast I left both of them sha besides I don't like their meanings.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should I Keep My Secret??? / Need An Advice / Should A Man Keep Quiet When His Wife Is Insulted By Her Junior Sister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.