Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,951 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! (6847 Views)

Poll: Are you in support of this levy?

Yes.: 14% (13 votes)
No.: 85% (78 votes)
This poll has ended

Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! / FG Imposes Fuel Levy On Federal Roads - From Jan 2012 / CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by bisibaby(f): 4:02pm On May 31, 2007
No mind them jare if to sey baba 70 (FELA) still dey for live, wey be sey him neva die dem go don hear demselves for him song, cos i no know wetin we go dey pay levy for gen again. Oshisko

Fela don talk am sey {basket mouth don open mouth again ohhh, Government fit sell to people cheap cheap }
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by bisibaby(f): 4:04pm On May 31, 2007
No mind them jare if to sey baba 70 (FELA) still dey for live, wey be sey him neva die dem go don hear demselves for him song, cos i no know wetin we go dey pay levy for gen again. Oshisko

Fela don talk am sey {basket mouth don open mouth again ohhh, Government fit sell to people cheap cheap  }
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by sweetchick(f): 4:51pm On May 31, 2007
Na wa! Nigeria disease no cure
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by olufash: 4:55pm On May 31, 2007
pple is this country worth living in?
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Nobody: 5:43pm On May 31, 2007
My brother Nigeria needs divine intervention.
I haven't lived permanently in naija for a while but whenever I visit or hear stories of my dear country,I weep.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by mishoo(m): 5:49pm On May 31, 2007
i think the policy should be effected after we have celebrated 1 whole year of uninterrupted power supply. else, it is a devilish idea which wont stand the test of time.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Seun(m): 6:11pm On May 31, 2007
This is Fayose's gift to the people that voted him into power. When PDP wins next time, they'll wonder why.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by goodguy(m): 6:29pm On May 31, 2007
@ debosky,

As Aproko rightly advised, come and start a business in Lagos, and let's see if you'll still see things this way.  You say the levy is small compared to the amount used in installing these generators, but you fail to realise that generators do not work with ordinary air.  Owners use money to buy fuel everyday (majority run on diesel, which is now over N100 per litre), they spend money on maintenance, which in turn affects the consumers because of the high cost of production by the manufacturer, which further affects business owners when consumers start looking for cheaper alternatives, probably due to the reduction of prices of goods/services offered by certain manufacturers, which then makes such manufacturers earn little compared to what they really ought to earn on a good day, just because they want to attract customers with their "low prices", thereby leaving those with "higher prices" (normal price actually, looking at the cost of production) to cut their losses; and this eventually brings everybody to a sorry state.

Another thing you failed to realise is that some generator owners probably bought their generators when they were "loaded" and things were really going smooth for them.  But now, they are no more the "millionaires" they used to be due to one problem or the other, and are now struggling to make ends meet with that "expensive generator" they bought "back then", someone is now asking them to pay some amount that they haven't even realised as profit in a month.

When the State Government decides to start robbing hardworking chaps of their hard earned little profits in daylight, in the name of some so-called levy, one can only wonder where this country is heading to.

@ topic,

I say, if they are really serious about wanting to reduce the amount of CO/CO2 emmitted into the environment, I suggest that they start with the horrible commercial suffocators commonly known as 'molues' and 'danfos'.

Levy ko, levite ni.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Seun(m): 6:34pm On May 31, 2007
This has nothing to do with the environment. It's very naive of anyone to think so. It's about money.
Who cares about the environment, when there's no power? The environment can go to hell for now, please.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by stanech: 6:42pm On May 31, 2007
Seun:

This is Fayose's gift to the people that voted him into power. When PDP wins next time, they'll wonder why.

This is just the beginning @ seun

They are complaining Obj has increased fuel price and that PDP is this and that.

Well let us see what AC can do for Lagos state.
[size=20pt]Advanced Corruption.[/size]
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by kanugab(m): 6:52pm On May 31, 2007
Its very unfortunate that anything goes in nija and i won't be surprise the stupid gov agencies feeding their pockets in the name of implementing this policy. I spend hell in feeling my generator with dissel. The biz i started when dissel was 22naira is still selling the same price when the same dissel is now 96 and above.
Now I'm being asked to pay more money in order to run my generator when it is costing me hell to maintain its constant failure due to "effectiveness" of phcn hhhhhhhhmmmmmm

@ debosky
you are compairing nija with america and canada forgetting that there was language in their dictionary called POWER WITHOLDING. In order words, they might not use their generators for years. Even Ghana here have celebrated one uninterruption power supply.

FASHOLA,
Remember that the masses you are punishing are the ones voted you in enmass. Is this a welcome gift unto us. We are looking up to your gov for a better future. I wonder who is advises u , on a wrong route
You are trying to clear our environment. Clear our gutters and get rid of mosquistos that live in the gutters to inflict diseases on the people you re trying to protect.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by goodguy(m): 6:59pm On May 31, 2007
Seun:

You mean Fashola, I believe.  Anyway, it's possible that the decision was made before Fashola's installation as governor.  Remember this report was only publisbed on Tuesday (inauguration day). In other words, it's most probably an idea borne out of the Tinubu administration.  And as otokx asked, is this Tinubu's parting gift for Lagosians?

Seun:

This has nothing to do with the environment. It's very naive of anyone to think so. It's about money.
Who cares about the environment, when there's no power? The environment can go to hell for now, please.

Exactly!  That's why I call this daylight robbery.  And talking of the environment, I think what they should even be more concerned about is the land pollution, not the almost-inevitable atmospheric one.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by igwe4life(m): 7:10pm On May 31, 2007
Nobody talk say make dem no do inspection, but every thing we have to do with Government have to do with parting with cash?
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by ToToChoper: 7:20pm On May 31, 2007
We could dice and try to rationale this out from different perspectives, but given the time (only 2 weeks) in somewhere like Nigeria (forget just Lagos) reveals the obvious intent; to strong arm money and NOT POLLUTION.

NAIJA!!!!!! Everybody wan chop: Yellow fever, Area father, Mobile police, Custom, Government, who else, and who suffers, the oppressed people.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by 50kobo: 7:26pm On May 31, 2007
its good that we all airing our views here, 
but why dont we write a letter/petition  and send it  to the person / ministry that implemented this policy? we can also send a copy to MAN,  i tired of talking about d problems in this country. we need to start acting,   

wat do you all think?
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by 3dhunter(m): 7:37pm On May 31, 2007
this would result inincreased cost of production and who would suffer it most: the consumer

have we thought of that
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by chiegemba(f): 7:38pm On May 31, 2007
@ Topic that is just "bull crap" y in d world would they want 2 levy generator owners when d source of power generation in d country is nothin 2 write home about and incompetence . Now d very ways people r tryin 2 survive with, D government wants 2 start addin levy (s ) that is insane though!
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by la1(m): 7:42pm On May 31, 2007
generator levies, cos lagos is overpolluted?!!!

what next?

maternity  levies , cos lagos is over populated?

f***ing retards

Lord help us all
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by chiegemba(f): 7:54pm On May 31, 2007
Isnt dat rather ridiculous! in fact very soon wont b surprised if we have 2 pay levy(s) 2 walk d streets of 9ja!
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by mishoo(m): 8:04pm On May 31, 2007
la!:

generator levies, because lagos is overpolluted?!!!

what next?

maternity levies , because lagos is over populated?

f***ing retards

Lord help us all

U no see me see trouble so These guys are just turning themselves into demi gods.
I don tire for Naija self!!!
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by eaze: 8:26pm On May 31, 2007
all of us want to live a better life but don't care about others that will suffer it. to tell you the true this is a good step for lagos.

1. this reduces pollution.
2. this give people with money more incentive to invest in the energy sector to save lagos. ( in some east african countries people who work in power companies are not alowed to own generators)
3. when we finally solve our power problem is will not be hard to stop the large sales of generators.( you know that if generators are still sold the way they are now, once we solve our power problem, importer of these generator will have the incentive to sabotage the power supply so that they can still make there money.)

lest look at the good reasons behind this.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Egavlas(m): 8:36pm On May 31, 2007
50kobo:

but why don't we write a letter/petition and send it to the person / ministry that implemented this policy? we can also send a copy to MAN, i tired of talking about d problems in this country. we need to start acting,

what do you all think?

I think we should annoint someone here who is good at writting and let him convey our fillings in writing and send it to newspaper houses as well as government houses both federal and state.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by nside: 9:14pm On May 31, 2007
Well,it is really a very sad situation because it is the small scale business man that would suffer.We should note that the increment of vat to 10% is on one side and fuel to add to the increment is " a soup served with stones as the meat".I know the ideal is to reduce pollution but Nigeria government are always in the habit of imposing laws and rules without creating alternatives to resolve issues.
Remember for any growing economy to survive the small scale business must be encouraged.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by justme3(m): 9:18pm On May 31, 2007
this is the biggest joke i have heard this year
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by gbeborun(m): 9:47pm On May 31, 2007
Even after resorting to provide electricity for themselves, which is the responsible of the government, people are now been charged. I think it's the government's way of saying with or without electricity we must pay some dues.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by shazeez(m): 10:07pm On May 31, 2007
It would have made more sense if this new levy was really about reducing CO emissions in accordance with global standards of metropolitan cities and not some insensitive way to generate revenue that will eventually be squandered. God pass dem sha!
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by 9ja4eva: 11:08pm On May 31, 2007
Our Politicians need someone to use vaccum cleaner to clean deir brain
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by ijogbon(m): 12:38am On Jun 01, 2007
They say when there is a 'good business' about it only takes a little while before everybody is jumping on the bandwagon.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the wonderful world of ARMED ROBBERY. !!!! Government ARMED ROBBERY.

The person that thought it up is just a genius. Combining two of the 'businesses' that have consistently outperformed the NSE in the last 40years or more - ARMED ROBBERY and GOVERNMENT STEALING.

What next - a levy for driving on 'San fransisco' at nite ?
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by comechop(m): 1:15am On Jun 01, 2007
50kobo:

but why don't we write a letter/petition and send it to the person / ministry that implemented this policy? we can also send a copy to MAN, i tired of talking about d problems in this country. we need to start acting,

what do you all think?

Abeg finally someone has said something worthwhile!! SEUN, pls look into this. 50kobo what are you recommendations?? Its about time we stopped talking about the state of the nation and started acting. EVERYONE knows that this is ridiculous, let the REAL people then come forward and do something about it!!
I mean, seriously, if you REALLY care about the environment, you would start SMALL. The BIG issue now is NOT CO emissions and what not, it is the BASIC SANITATION STATE of our cities. Start by cleaning out the gutters and gettin rid of mosquitoes, before we start talkin about global warming.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Nobody: 1:19am On Jun 01, 2007
pure madness!! angry angry
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by nazzyon(m): 8:31am On Jun 01, 2007
It seems to have come to my notice that departing government are really in need of the last Kobo from Nigerians.

OBJ allowed the increase in fuel price why won't his Governors do theirs again. Afterall it is Nigeria Everything goes without bounds.

[size=25pt]The next thing will be anyone who expells carbon IV oxide while breathing will pay a fine too[/size]
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by layifioren(m): 8:37am On Jun 01, 2007
eaze:

all of us want to live a better life but don't care about others that will suffer it. to tell you the true this is a good step for lagos.

1. this reduces pollution.
2. this give people with money more incentive to invest in the energy sector to save lagos. ( in some east african countries people who work in power companies are not alowed to own generators)
3. when we finally solve our power problem is will not be hard to stop the large sales of generators.( you know that if generators are still sold the way they are now, once we solve our power problem, importer of these generator will have the incentive to sabotage the power supply so that they can still make there money.)

lest look at the good reasons behind this.

@ eaze,
that's supposed to be a joke right? it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that this is a ridiculous decision. people don't have enough money to survive and the best thing the government thinks of doing is taking more of there money for generator inspection that the population would rather not use if there was power. Pollution in Lagos worsened by generator; are you kidding me? How about all those trash stacked up at notable places like Idi-oro, Olosha, Oshodi that the government refuse to clear in due time? and when will we ever solve the power problem; maybe when Jesus comes. Makes me wonder why slave trade was successful!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I'm Buying Spodumene and Lepidolite (Li2O> 5%) / Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends / Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.