Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,700 members, 7,820,444 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Why Do We Not Build With Wood In Nigeria - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Do We Not Build With Wood In Nigeria (2657 Views)

High Cost Of Iron Rods: Engineers Now Build With Bamboo / What Kind Of House Can I Build With 3m / Introducing Amity Estate At Ajah, Buy & Build With 3 Yrs Payment Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Not Build With Wood In Nigeria by imohchard(m): 2:03pm On Jan 15, 2020
So i have been wondering, why don't we build with wood in Nigeria.

We watch movies and see beautiful structures built with wood in America, infact most residential properties are built with wood.
However, we build with concrete here in Nigeria despite the fact that is way cheaper to use wood.

So my question is, does anyone know why?
Is there any risk to it?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Not Build With Wood In Nigeria by dawnomike(m): 2:19pm On Jan 15, 2020
Security concerns
Re: Why Do We Not Build With Wood In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jan 15, 2020
climate/weather difference is one of the reasons
Re: Why Do We Not Build With Wood In Nigeria by Soknown: 9:55pm On Jan 15, 2020
I believe it is fear of fire outbreak. But with time our people will realise that it is cheaper and safe to build with wood.
Most of the colonial houses were built with wood, but for lack of maintenance some would still be standing and functional. I remember my old Chapel in Aro, Abeokuta was built with Wood.
I read about wood lamination in construction awhile ago, it is interesting. Western countries are also going back to using wood.
In Nigeria, It will take a trail-blazer building developer to erect a super-structure using wood, then others will follow.
Thank you for bringing this up for discussion.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Not Build With Wood In Nigeria by Perfecttouchade: 10:05pm On Jan 15, 2020
Because ikan go chop the wood fast fast grin grin u don give termites food be dat and we seems not to have better control systems for termites yet in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Not Build With Wood In Nigeria by Analyst01(m): 12:00am On Jan 16, 2020
I think the problem is with the skills and technology required to deliver timber buildings.

If you go to any timber market and request for 1" * 12" * 12' plank, 2" * 4"*12'; check the dimensions of what you've been provided with and you will see that it's mostly below specification.

Another is moisture content. You will observe also that once you expose the timber to the sun, it starts warping along the exposed side. Timber is not properly seasoned here.

The sector needs serious disruption.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Not Build With Wood In Nigeria by imohchard(m): 12:54pm On Jan 17, 2020
Soknown:
I believe it is fear of fire outbreak. But with time our people will realise that it is cheaper and safe to build with wood.
Most of the colonial houses were built with wood, but for lack of maintenance some would still be standing and functional. I remember my old Chapel in Aro, Abeokuta was built with Wood.
I read about wood lamination in construction awhile ago, it is interesting. Western countries are also going back to using wood.
In Nigeria, It will take a trail-blazer building developer to erect a super-structure using wood, then others will follow.
Thank you for bringing this up for discussion.

i have seen old structures built with wood too. And they are surprisingly strong
Re: Why Do We Not Build With Wood In Nigeria by imohchard(m): 12:54pm On Jan 17, 2020
Analyst01:
I think the problem is with the skills and technology required to deliver timber buildings.

If you go to any timber market and request for 1" * 12" * 12' plank, 2" * 4"*12'; check the dimensions of what you've been provided with and you will see that it's mostly below specification.

Another is moisture content. You will observe also that once you expose the timber to the sun, it starts warping along the exposed side. Timber is not properly seasoned here.

The sector needs serious disruption.

I agree with the disruption part.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Final finishes Of A 6 bedroom duplex In Eziagu, Enugu state. / Unit Costs Of Nigerian Electric Wire Coils By Curtex / A Plot Of Land For Sale At Ikorodu With C Of O SOLD SOLD SOLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.