Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? (80326 Views)

Pastor Ibiyeomie Donates A Public School In Rivers (Pictures) / My Teaching Experience As A Corper/pyschologist In A Public And Private School. / Can I Transfer From A Private University To A Public Or State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by popp(m): 9:06pm On Jan 17, 2020
Greetings to you all.

Please I would like to have a concise different between a Civil Servant and a Public Servant, since they both are like tools through which governmental policies are executed.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by MickzyDonald: 9:10pm On Jan 17, 2020
The only differences are civil servant has civil, why public servant has public
Note::--they are both servants

168 Likes 10 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Kenmatt(m): 9:23pm On Jan 17, 2020
Mods, please can you guys push this to the "Promise Land" for us to have it crushed from a various perspectives as it's an educating question.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Stanweezy(m): 9:48pm On Jan 17, 2020
Good question

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Ourkitchenpalm: 10:29pm On Jan 17, 2020
Civil servants are the staff members of Ministries. Eg. Teachers ( under ministry of education).

Public servants are the staff members of corporations. Eg. NNPC, CBN, NTA, etc.

142 Likes 12 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by adedayoa2(f): 10:55pm On Jan 17, 2020
Public servant: airforce, police etc
Civil servant: all mda's

12 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by hennyholla17(m): 10:56pm On Jan 17, 2020
a civil servant can be defined as a bureaucrat hired by the government to work for the public sector. Public servant, on the other hand, is an elected or appointed member of the government for social or public services. We learn everyday day.

88 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by prinsam30: 12:28am On Jan 18, 2020
Civil servant is when the servant is Civil in Nature and Public Servant is when the servant becomes a Public figure

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by boss1310(m): 2:01am On Jan 18, 2020
Buhari is a public servant while a teacher in government school is a civil servant

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by MajorWarren: 3:50am On Jan 18, 2020
This is a good question which had never crossed my mind before this. When I hear civil servant I think people employed directly by the government like say a doctor in a government hospital or a judge. whereas public servant is employed by someone in the government like say a teacher, police officer etc.
They might be synonymous but the civil servant works directly for the government whilst a public servant works for the public.

9 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by popp(m): 5:10am On Jan 18, 2020
Ourkitchenpalm:
Civil servants are the staff members of Ministries. Eg. Teachers ( under ministry of education).

Public servants are the staff members of corporations. Eg. NNPC, CBN, NTA, etc.
Where would you place Lecturers in a University?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Katier00(f): 5:14am On Jan 18, 2020
I am here to learn too

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Nobody: 6:31am On Jan 18, 2020
adedayoa2:
Public servant: airforce, police etc Civil servant: all mda's
Lie
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by GEOANDSONS: 6:51am On Jan 18, 2020
hennyholla17:
a civil servant can be defined as a bureaucrat hired by the government to work for the public sector. Public servant, on the other hand, is an elected or appointed member of the government for social or public services.

Aptly said

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by micolaj: 6:59am On Jan 18, 2020
To answer this, we have to look at the domain of their assignment.

Civil servants work in institutions of government like ministries, departments and agencies, at both federal and state level. These institutions are necessary parts that make the machinery of government works.Examples of such institutions are ministry of finance, internal revenue service, etc.

While the public servants work at PUBLIC corporations. These corporations are created by the government for specific objectives.They are also run like normal business enterprise. They can generate profit, in form of surplus. Sometimes they are called government parastatals.Example include water corporation, government radio house, government television house, e.t.c.

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by traihit: 7:16am On Jan 18, 2020
Civil servants are appointed officials carrying our bureaucratic activities or any other activities that ensures the smooth running of the state e.g career people in all sectors of government work. They're answerable to the elected officials while public servants are servants of the society I.e elected officials running the affairs of the state and answerable to the state (hence public servant).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Nobody: 7:18am On Jan 18, 2020
I'll answer your question later, hold on.

Civil servants are employees in the civil service. The civil service is a collective term for a sector of government composed mainly of career bureaucrats hired on professional merit rather than appointed or elected, whose institutional tenure typically survives transitions of political leadership.

Public servants on the other hand, have different meanings. In Australia for example, the phrases ‘civil servants’ and ‘public servants’ are used interchangeably. Furthermore, in a country like Nigeria, Public Servants are usually political appointees or politically elected officials with short-tenured appointment. Hence, Presidents, Governors, Ministers can be referred to as PUBLIC SERVANTS.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Liposure: 7:31am On Jan 18, 2020
Basically, A Civil servant work 4 d govt. A Public servant work 4 d state.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by dammieco(m): 7:32am On Jan 18, 2020
No much difference.
One is Civil and the other is Public...

Thank me later

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by fatymore(f): 7:33am On Jan 18, 2020
I was taught this in secondary in the year 2006 grin

Civil Servant: State
Public Servant: Federal Government Parastatals

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:34am On Jan 18, 2020
Civil service is performed by a civil servant,
a bureaucrat hired by the country’s government who works for the public sector;
conversely, public service is performed by a public servant, a person appointed by a member of the government to serve the population and perform public duties.
Civil servants are top ranked employees who work in various government’s departments and offices and whose duties vary according to their role and position.
Public servants are not has high ranked and provide basic services to the population and to the most needy segments of society.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Bukden16(m): 7:34am On Jan 18, 2020
Poverty which is a similarity, by the way.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by helinues: 7:34am On Jan 18, 2020
Civil servant are civil while public servant are public

Na servant be the name Wey they both have in common.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by 9jaBloke: 7:35am On Jan 18, 2020
smiley
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Kobicove(m): 7:36am On Jan 18, 2020
They both refer to the same class of workers essentially undecided
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by nkem1992: 7:36am On Jan 18, 2020
MickzyDonald:
The only differences are civil servant has civil, why public servant has public
Note::--they are both servants
U know book my man

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by Slawormir: 7:36am On Jan 18, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr

Good question

To me o
They are both the same

Both people are subjected to fill this shitt

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by munex007(m): 7:36am On Jan 18, 2020
Servant
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Civil Servant And A Public Servant? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:37am On Jan 18, 2020
fatymore:
Lol cheesy
Abeg tell us nah Fatty!

fatymore:

Civil Servant: State
Public Servant: Federal Government Parastatals
Oh, you've modify.
Thanks.
Good to know you haven't forgotten since 14 years ago! shocked
You are surely a genius.
You have our #RESPECT sis.

Btw, we gave you your first like and share! wink

fatymore:
grin
Lol cheesy grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lesbianism Scandal Rocks Kogi University / KSU Bike Man Caught Having Sex With Mad Woman (photo) / Buhari Approves Establishment Of 6 New Federal Colleges Of Education

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.