Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,286 members, 7,829,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic (553 Views)

Dangerous Attitudes Amongst Nigerian Churches In The Diaspora / Chris Oyakhilome: Churches Are Not Places Of Infection But Places Of Blessings / How Nigerian Churches Are Taking Advantage Of Technology To Make Global Impact (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by Aderewah: 7:37am On Jan 19, 2020
Today is Sunday. I have a loud MFM church beside my house. As I try to rest, their loudspeakers invade the privacy of my room. I can't even listen to my own thoughts. I then started to process what they are saying and i have been able to come to a conclusion. Most Nigerian Churches are toxic. And these are three reasons why.

1. Negativity: The past last hour, this church have been raining down nothing but curses. Die! Perish! Waste! All manner of violent dispatchments for enemies real and imagined, especially those that don't want service to hold. No giving thanks, no prayer for the country or the economy, no prayer for the motherless and less privileged. Only curses. For those who "stole" their glory.

2. Subtle discrimination and mocking: Their prayers goes thus, "thank God you are not deaf or blind. Thank God you can walk and you are not a widow..." Blah blah blah. A lot of blind people want to go to Church. What should they feel when they hear things like this? My mom is a widow as my dad died two years ago. She told me she had heard such twice in church and had her heart broken. It's just a twisted mindset to thank God for Grace that you're not suffering from what your co-church member might be going through. Do Grace not cover them too?

3. Status: In many churches, rich people have special seats. Money has a lot to play in the Dynamics of the modern Nigerian church. The pastors are obsessed with it. Makes me think of the Pharisees that turned the temple of God into a business center.

But what do I know?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by Snipper007: 7:49am On Jan 19, 2020
Lol but true......
Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by oglalasioux(m): 7:49am On Jan 19, 2020
Number 2 is just stupid. Someone will survive an accident that killed people then go to a church for thanksgiving because of 'God's special' love for them. I can imagine how your mother will feel when they say 'thank God you are not a widow.' Nigerian churches are the world's worst embarrassment.

4 Likes

Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by izykmiles55(m): 7:52am On Jan 19, 2020
absolutely correct @ op...same observation here.
Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by popsy2(m): 7:53am On Jan 19, 2020
true
Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by Aderewah: 8:05am On Jan 19, 2020
oglalasioux:
Number 2 is just stupid. Someone will survive an accident that killed people then go to a church for thanksgiving because of 'God's special' love for them. I can imagine how your mother will feel when they say 'thank God you are not a widow.' Nigerian churches are the world's worst embarrassment.

I tell you. That's why I don't go to church. It's supposed to to be a place where you find peace, warmth and love. Here, it's a place to destroy enemies, pay money, and go home. can

4 Likes

Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by Nobody: 8:08am On Jan 19, 2020
Religion is fake.
We've seen church buildings collapse killing congregations during service. We've seen bomb explode or terrorists shooting and killing everyone inside churches. Same applies to Mosques.

Where is God when these things happens?

One idiot will come and say God knows best. Are you okay? Is your brain paining you?

It is the will of God for people to die like chickens!

So that's how I will die one day and you will coman tell my family and friends that they love me but God loves me more.

Rubbish talk.

He loves me more and he decided to end my life with a gruesome death, like car accident, fire or plane falling from the sky.

The annoying part is when pastors or imams will say give thanks to God during a burial ceremony of a loved one. Why do we have to thank God now my pastor? That my mother died or what?

The earlier you realise religion is fake that better for you. You wont have to blame one God for your misfortune or attach your fortune to one imaginary father sitting in the sky. We all are on our own in this word. Take it or leave it!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by AntiChristian: 8:25am On Jan 19, 2020
Contact LASEPA for noise pollution and other environmental pollution!

Google LASEPA and Lodge a complaint!

2 Likes

Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by malvisguy212: 8:25am On Jan 19, 2020
oglalasioux:
He is not thankful that other died, He is thankful that he is alive. but somehow , you stiff neck will find a way to blame the Church.
Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by Aderewah: 8:26am On Jan 19, 2020
AmiciLord:
Religion is fake.
We've seen church buildings collapse killing congregations during service. We've seen bomb explode or terrorists shooting and killing everyone inside churches. Same applies to Mosques.

One idiot will come and say God knows best. Are you okay? Is your brain paining you?

The annoying part is when pastors or imams will say give thanks to God during a burial ceremony of a loved one. Why do we have to thank God now my pastor? That my mother died or what?

The earlier you realise religion is fake that better for you. You wont have to blame one God for your misfortune or attach your fortune to one imaginary father sitting in the sky. We all are on our own in this word. Take it or leave it!

For me, I am not religious. But I am very spiritual. I am a Christian. I believe in God and his son Jesus. But I don't believe in pastors. Especially Nigerian pastors.

3 Likes

Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by malvisguy212: 8:34am On Jan 19, 2020
AmiciLord:
Religion is fake.

GOD of love want the people in this world to live in peace and love each other, but will you force someone to love you ? or do you want your free choice to be taken away from you ? and be program to love like a robot ? see, God must allow injustices and sufferings; otherwise he'd provide sinful mankind with every blessing and benefit without restriction. If everything in this life was fair, good and happy, what need would there be to seek a better life? Why would we seek a Deliverer, if there was nothing to
be delivered from? Suffering is not something that ought to turn people away fromom God, but draw them to Him.

1 Like

Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by malvisguy212: 8:38am On Jan 19, 2020
AmiciLord:
Religion is fake.

and also you know the funniest part ? If God enslaved the human will, squelching wrongdoing by forcibly preventing us from
indulging in our favorite sins, we'd be the first to shake our fists at him. It would be the height of hypocrisy to dare criticize God for not always interfering when tragedy looms.
Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by Nobody: 9:12am On Jan 19, 2020
Exactly what I hate in religion. So you mean God permit suffering?

As a father will you watch your kids cry and perish because you don't want life to be too easy for them? Let say you have more than enough food but you prefer your kids starve to death because you want to test their faith.

It doesn't make sense at all. You sef think am. And dont coman tell me God says is different from our ways. The bible already says he created us in his IMAGE and LIKENESS. This means we think alike.

malvisguy212:
GOD of love want the people in this world to live in peace and love each other, but will you force someone to love you ? or do you want your free choice to be taken away from you ? and be program to love like a robot ? see, God must allow injustices and sufferings; otherwise he'd provide sinful mankind with every blessing and benefit without restriction. If everything in this life was fair, good and happy, what need would there be to seek a better life? Why would we seek a Deliverer, if there was nothing to
be delivered from? Suffering is not something that ought to turn people away fromom God, but draw them to Him.
Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by Nobody: 9:23am On Jan 19, 2020
malvisguy212:
God must allow injustices and sufferings; otherwise he'd provide sinful mankind with every blessing and benefit without restriction. If everything in this life was fair, good and happy, what need would there be to seek a better life? Why would we seek a Deliverer, if there was nothing to
be delivered from?

HOW COULD YOU EVEN SAY WHAT YOU SAID ABOVE? A LOVING GOD ALLOWING INJUSTICES AND SUFFERINGS TO PROVE A POINT?

SO WHATS THE USE OF GOING TO HEAVEN IN THE END? THEY SAY HEAVEN IS A PEACEFUL PLACE WHERE THERE ARE NO TEARS NOR SORROWS. MEANING THOSE IN HEAVEN WILL JUST BE LIVING LIKE THAT FOR TRILLIONS OF YEARS BECAUSE THEY WON'T BE DEATH ANYMORE AND THOSE IN HELLFIRE WILL BURN FOR TRILLION OF YEARS BECAUSE THERE'S NO DEATH.

THIS IS SO DUMB AND FAKE
Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by malvisguy212: 9:30am On Jan 19, 2020
AmiciLord:
Exactly what I hate in religion. So you mean God permit suffering?

As a father will you watch your kids cry and perish because you don't want life to be too easy for them? Let say you have more than enough food but you prefer your kids starve to death because you want to test their faith.

It doesn't make sense at all. You sef think am. And dont coman tell me God says is different from our ways. The bible already says he created us in his IMAGE and LIKENESS. This means we think alike.

so in other word God should just program our will ? Do you have children? Imagine you had an eight year old son...would you love him? Of course. Would you do everything in your power to prevent pain in his life? Of course. Would you let him skateboard? Sure
you'd let him skateboard, but you'd tell him to be careful. So, as the child's father, you would give him some basic, good advice and then let him go off and make his own mistakes?You would not run behind him
and mollycoddle him, correct? But what if he fell and skinned his knee? He would learn to be more careful, correct? So, although you have the power to interfere and prevent your child's pain, you would choose to show your love by letting him learn his own lessons? Of course. Pain is part of growing up. It's how we learn.
Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by Nobody: 9:36am On Jan 19, 2020
What's the essence of suffering on earth when at the end they say earth is not meant for you. Not that we are going to take the lessons we've learnt here to heaven.

Any how you illustrate it you'll know that it doesn't make sense.

Religion na scam. It's just there to control the mind of a people.

malvisguy212:
so in other word God should just program our will ? Do you have children? Imagine you had an eight year old son...would you love him? Of course. Would you do everything in your power to prevent pain in his life? Of course. Would you let him skateboard? Sure
you'd let him skateboard, but you'd tell him to be careful. So, as the child's father, you would give him some basic, good advice and then let him go off and make his own mistakes?You would not run behind him
and mollycoddle him, correct? But what if he fell and skinned his knee? He would learn to be more careful, correct? So, although you have the power to interfere and prevent your child's pain, you would choose to show your love by letting him learn his own lessons? Of course. Pain is part of growing up. It's how we learn.
Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by malvisguy212: 10:07am On Jan 19, 2020
AmiciLord:
What's the essence of suffering on earth when at the end they say earth is not meant for you. Not that we are going to take the lessons we've learnt here to heaven.

Any how you illustrate it you'll know that it doesn't make sense.

Religion na scam. It's just there to control the mind of a people.

you have a long way to go. your hatred is legendary.
Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by desiredhome: 10:35am On Jan 19, 2020
malvisguy212:
The reason people keep suffering despite the grace of God upon them is because, people go to Church for their selfish ambition not for the love of God or doing the commands of God, which is completely opposite of God's purpose for the Church.
You can't eat your cake and have it, unfortunately our pastorpreours have capitalize on these ignorance of the black man to further enslave them such that even the wise/educated is been deceived. Math 24:24
Poverty have eaten up their mindsets and making them run after miracle instead of salvation, worshipping doctrine of man(their GOs) instead of God.
So many confused souls.
Only God will help the black man still in darkness.
What so ever a man sow, so shall he reap

1 Like

Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by Amujale(m): 6:13pm On Jan 19, 2020
All the Abrahamic religions are fake and malicious concepts that exist as a result of a combination of falsehoods.

Christianity is a false concept that was manufactured by fourth century Romans.

Stop wasting money on building churches, divert the funds towards building things that will benefit the general public.

A famous African leader once said during one of his lectures on how to continue on our forefathers and foremothers foot steps and make our continent prouder than ever before.

"When the Eurocentric warmongers came to Africa they had the guns and the bible and we had the guns and the land. Everyone closed their eyes for prayer one morning and when they opened them, they had the guns and the land and we had the bible"

Consequently that was to lead to Colonisation and the horific Transatlantic campaign.
Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by Amujale(m): 6:20pm On Jan 19, 2020
Christianity an Islam are both aftermaths of foreign aggressive invasions.

That is to say, Christianity does not favour Africa.

Islam does not favour Africa.

Christianity and Islam are never to be taken seriously, they are the mere after math of an aggressive occupation.

Christianity is a false concept that was manufactured by the Romans in the fourth century.
Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by Cletus77(m): 9:08pm On Jan 19, 2020
Aderewah:

For me, I am not religious. But I am very spiritual. I am a Christian. I believe in God and his son Jesus. But I don't believe in pastors. Especially Nigerian pastors.

We on the same boat man

1 Like

Re: Three Ways Nigerian Churches Are Toxic by Cletus77(m): 9:10pm On Jan 19, 2020
I believe in God but religion in Nigeria is nothing to write home about. That's why i stopped going to church

(1) (Reply)

Corona Virus Updates: Man Of God, Pastor Chris Prays Against Coronavirus / OPINION: Pastor Adeboye Missed The Mark On TB Joshua’s Coronavirus Prophecy! / Question For Men Of God On Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.