Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,551 members, 7,819,956 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 (2243 Views)

Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? / Fun Facts About CHINA (in Pictures) / See What It's Like To Be In The Driver's Seat Of A Train Travelling At 287 Km/h (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by PrincessEhi(f): 9:33am On Jan 19, 2020
Please I mean someone who has a degree,with 5yrs experience and also planning to get the telf or TESOL certificate, is it still possible and lucrative as a Nigerian? Please I need ideas from ESL teachers over there or potential ones...
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by PrincessEhi(f): 9:34am On Jan 19, 2020
Comments will be highly appreciated
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by PrincessEhi(f): 9:35am On Jan 19, 2020
I mean getting certified here and doing the Skype interview here before going not street hustle please going the genuine way
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by babakb: 11:56am On Jan 19, 2020
PrincessEhi:
I mean getting certified here and doing the Skype interview here before going not street hustle please going the genuine way

Try www.teachaway.com
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by WhyNa: 4:01pm On Jan 19, 2020
Please not China. They are seriously making arrests on NNES.

Some agents might recruit you and get you a working visa under the guise of another subject and if caught, jail straight.

If you're willing to risk it sha, the pay is good.

If not, try other countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Mexico, Dubai, Myanmar, Japan, etc. Lots to choose from

1 Like

Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by PrincessEhi(f): 5:28pm On Jan 19, 2020
OK thanks peeps but I don't mean going through an agent I meant getting interview by the school and they get me the work visa after been employ...no strength for illegal means
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by PrincessEhi(f): 5:29pm On Jan 19, 2020
I will try other country thanks
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by WhyNa: 9:16pm On Jan 19, 2020
PrincessEhi:
OK thanks peeps but I don't mean going through an agent I meant getting interview by the school and they get me the work visa after been employ...no strength for illegal means

Same thing. School or agent. Fact still remains that the government of China doesn't recognize any other countries as NES except US, UK, New Zealand, SA and Ireland I think.

1 Like

Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jan 21, 2020
Hi!
Just wanna clear up some misconceptions about teaching in China.
yes you can get a teaching job with the right qualifications:
a.120 hour tell
b.bachelor degree or higher degree from a
recognised university
c.previous work experience (at least 2 years)
d.criminal background check
e.medical health check

Native or non-native?
Well most schools would like to have native speakers from places like Britain,Canada, Australia, New Zealand, USA and even SA (sometimes). However, if your accent is good and you are an experienced teacher, a non-native can also get a job. Your salary also depends on your country of origin.

Black or white?
These days most big cities and schools don't care about your race. They actually go for a more diverse look in their teaching staff to make their schools look more international. But stick to schools in bigger cities.

Now let's get to the nitty gritty...
People will try to scam you, these people are not angels. Please whenever you do interviews make sure that your school can secure a Z visa for you. don't take any other visa because people get arrested on other visas (google it, so many arrests and scams). Also be sure that you get your work permit before you leave your country so that you know you are in China legally.

Contract negotiations
The school should offer you paid vacations, sick leave, personal leave, medical insurance, foreigner insurance and a salary of between 10000-20000 rmb. It's up to you to negotiate your salary. More experience also means more money. This amount also depends on the city because some cities are more expensive than others and therefore pay more.

Ps. I'm currently teaching in China and have been for 3 years now. Will go back home soon though, i miss the open air.

10 Likes

Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by onwuakpachris(m): 10:52am On Jan 22, 2020
MegzSA:
Hi!
a.120 hour tell
recognised university
e.medical health check

Native or non-native?
Well most schools would like to have native speakers from places like Britain,Canada, Australia, New Zealand, USA and even SA (sometimes). However, if your accent is good and you are an experienced teacher, a non-native can also get a job. Your salary also depends on your country of origin.

Black or white?
These days most big cities and schools don't care about your race. They actually go for a more diverse look in their teaching staff to make their schools look more international. But stick to schools in bigger cities.

People will try to scam you, these people are not angels. Please whenever you do interviews make sure that your school can secure a Z visa for you. don't take any other visa because people get arrested on other visas (google it, so many arrests and scams). Also be sure that you get your work permit before you leave your country so that you know you are in China legally.

Contract negotiations
The school should offer you paid vacations, sick leave, personal leave, medical insurance, foreigner insurance and a salary of between 10000-20000 rmb. It's up to you to negotiate your salary. More experience also means more money. This amount also depends on the city because some cities are more expensive than others and therefore pay more.

Ps. I'm currently teaching in China and have been for 3 years now. Will go back home soon though, i miss the open air.
hmmm..we see
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by PrincessEhi(f): 11:23am On Jan 22, 2020
@megzy thanks for the great info but please I will like to chat you up on watsapp
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jan 22, 2020
hi dear, sorry I don't have WhatsApp only wechat. Currently on holiday in Cambodia though but just email me and I'll get back to you as soon as I get back to the working life Lol grin
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by WhyNa: 1:39pm On Jan 22, 2020
MegzSA:
Hi!
a.120 hour tell
recognised university
e.medical health check

Native or non-native?

Black or white?

Contract negotiations

Please tell them more about B. bachelor degree or higher degree from a recognised university

If your university degree was obtained from a country recognized as native English speaking country, you would most likely be considered even if you're black.
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 22, 2020
WhyNa:

Please tell them more about B. bachelor degree or higher degree from a recognised university

If your university degree was obtained from a country recognized as native English speaking country, you would most likely be considered even if you're black.

By recognized university I mean not a quack university. You must have your university degree authenticated (verified). there's a different process for every country. There are people teaching in China from universities all over the world and not necessarily universities from native english speaking countries.

In the case of South Korea, you have to have been taught in English from primary school level and you need to provide letters that all your schooling was conducted in the English language. I think the same goes for Japan. However,these two countries will only hire from native English speaking countries and SA.

1 Like

Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by PrincessEhi(f): 3:18pm On Jan 22, 2020
@megza OK thanks I will hook you up via email. Meanwhile, enjoy your holiday in Cambodia.
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by WhyNa: 4:48pm On Jan 22, 2020
MegzSA:

By recognized university I mean not a quack university. You must have your university degree authenticated (verified). there's a different process for every country. There are people teaching in China from universities all over the world and not necessarily universities from native english speaking countries.

In the case of South Korea, you have to have been taught in English from primary school level and you need to provide letters that all your schooling was conducted in the English language. I think the same goes for Japan. However,these two countries will only hire from native English speaking countries and SA.

Aii. I have a friend who's teaching in Japan though
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by PrincessEhi(f): 5:03pm On Jan 22, 2020
@whyna please is he a Nigerian? And any idea if he got his degree in Nigeria?
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by WhyNa: 6:59pm On Jan 22, 2020
PrincessEhi:
@whyna please is he a Nigerian? And any idea if he got his degree in Nigeria?

Yes to both questions
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by PrincessEhi(f): 9:00pm On Jan 22, 2020
Wow!! thanks a lot.
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by grammarian247(m): 9:37pm On Jun 29, 2021
Hi!
a.120 hour tell
recognised university
e.medical health check

Native or non-native?

Black or white?

Contract negotiations

Brother, how do I reach you, I need your contact please. I have very important questions to ask you
Re: How Is It Like Teaching English In China In 2020 by Oluseun234: 11:03am On Oct 17, 2023
Hello team

Seems the last reply here is 2020. Especially @Nobody or anyone else working legitimately as a teacher in SE Asia. Where are black west Africans recruited the most between 2022-23: Cambodia, Thailand, Indonesia or Vietnam? How about China, South Korea, Japan or latin American countries.

I learnt here that most of them largely prefer native English Speakers from First World but maybe recently, there are several others who have discovered the proficiency level of Nigerians and are giving us a chance to teach in their educational institutions (language centres, Primary/secondary are my target)

I hope these Nigerians have not experienced extreme discrimination so far (slurs, physical violence or fabrication of lies to get them sacked and deported home or jailed (not those who are doing illegal activities)

For someone who has not gained teaching experience, which of these countries gives us employment as an English teacher and what is the salary bracket for us in relation to cost of living before thinking to enrol in the TEFL course because it is costly now.

Your candid advice will be highly appreciated
As soon as possible

Thanks!

(1) (Reply)

Land Border Opening / How Can I Get / Got My Admission Letter From A Canadian University, What Next Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.