Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,924 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

African Americans About Their Hair And Skin - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Americans About Their Hair And Skin (1412 Views)

The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land / Eri Festival: Ooni Of Ife, 25 African Americans To Storm Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Mariangeles(f): 11:02am On Jan 20, 2020
Why do African Americans always feel the need to let people know how proud they are of their hair and skin? This is something I want to understand.

Here in Africa, we just know that we are beautiful the way we are, features and all, without the need to reaffirm it over and over, and we celebrate it when others share in our culture.

Unlike us, they take offence easily and scream "culture appropriation" ( or is it misappropriation) out loud whenever a white person dares to braid their hair.
Why so much anger? undecided

1 Like

Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Nobody: 11:03am On Jan 20, 2020
Hello beautiful Marian, I am the newly elected spokeperson for the African Americans Nairaland Chapter, and my attention has been drawn to the fact that you find our proud nature displeasing....

Well, we've every right to take offense to any modafucking thing we frown at.

Having said that, I wish to make it clear to every race reading this that we're so furcking blessed and we shall defend our race and be proud of our skin like AMOTEKUN.

3 Likes

Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by TheSourcerer: 11:05am On Jan 20, 2020
Mariangeles:
Why do African Americans always feel the need to let people know how proud they are of their hair and skin? This is something I want to understand.

Here in Africa, we just know that we are beautiful the way we are, features and all, without the need to reaffirm it over and over, and we celebrate it when others share in our culture.

Unlike us, they take offence easily and scream "culture appropriation" out loud whenever a white person dares to braid their hair.
because they have suffered so much
Especially from their counterpart race the Caucasians always probing their hair and color on magazines everywhere everyday

1 Like

Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by nlPoster: 2:48pm On Jan 20, 2020
Let's just mention cultural appropriation by Nigerians ie the amotekun/tiger thread instead of pretending we're talking about AA.
Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Mariangeles(f): 5:02pm On Jan 20, 2020
Erediauwa:
Hello beautiful Marian, I am the newly elected spokeperson for the African Americans Nairaland Chapter, and my attention has been drawn to the fact that you find our proud nature displeasing....

Well, we've every right to take offense to any modafucking thing we frown at.

Having said that, I wish to make it clear to every race reading this that we're so furcking blessed and we shall defend our race and be proud of our skin like AMOTEKUN.
grin grin grin
Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Nobody: 10:24am On Jan 24, 2020
Mariangeles:

Unlike us, they take offence easily and scream "culture appropriation" ( or is it misappropriation) out loud whenever a white person dares to braid their hair.

You need to learn about structural violence and embodiment then...slavery and it’s effects on the psyche ....white privilege ...more...
When you do, you would learn and have more understanding
I bet you would delete this thread afterwards too

On another tangent- here we are now more interested in bleaching our skin to become like milk and fixing foreign weaves on our scalps than in loving our natural looks. This is a continental tragedy cry.

Afro-Caribbeans or Island blacks rock their Africanness to pieces. This is in terms of looks, dressing, culture, writings, readings, self awareness, all. This could become the continental salvation (especially when you add the “anger” of the AAs and the awakening of we sleeping Africans in the continent)kiss
Cheers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by 1Sharon(f): 1:47am On Jan 27, 2020
What are you talking about? African Americans are more proud of their blackness than ppl in Africa and it's a shame.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by OruExpress: 4:25am On Jan 27, 2020
Mariangeles:

You think this post is about your curiosity, but it's really about your ignorance, and as you grow older you will return to delete this or laugh at yourself.
Google Slavery, Jim Crow, American policy on black hair, and racism.

You can also ask them why white people fear mimicking their hair but steal 87% of your oil.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by khia: 5:49am On Jan 27, 2020
Mariangeles:

1. In this racist country called the US, black Americans have been treated worse than animals and black skin has been portrayed as ugly and inferior for centuries.
We weren't even allowed to wear our own hair because it offended the whites.

We had to cover our hair with bandanas. Still today whites are trying to control how we wear our natural hair, it's so bad that laws are being made in states to prevent discrimination at the work place because of our natural hair. California was the first to make this law followed by New York.

2. Africans didn't go through centuries of physical, emotional, and mental torture by those wicked creatures, breaking down their self esteem.

3. Why do Africans yell *culture appropriation* whenever black Americans dress in African attire?
Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Mariangeles(f): 6:16am On Jan 27, 2020
khia:

1. In this racist country called the US, black Americans have been treated worse than animals and black skin has been portrayed as ugly and inferior for centuries.
We weren't even allowed to wear our own hair because it offended the whites.

We had to cover our hair with bandanas. Still today whites are trying to control how we wear our natural hair, it's so bad that laws are being made in states to prevent discrimination at the work place because of our natural hair. California was the first to make this law followed by New York.

2. Africans didn't go through centuries of physical, emotional, and mental torture by those wicked creatures, breaking down their self esteem.

3. Why do Africans yell *culture appropriation* whenever black Americans dress in African attire?

I don't think the bolded is true though.
Rather, we celebrate it when others appreciate and share in our culture. Including white people.

Like for example; we celebrate it when African Americans who are willing, are able to trace their roots back home.
When they adopt and embrace the culture ( the clothes, language, hair...), we celebrate.

1 Like

Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Mariangeles(f): 6:19am On Jan 27, 2020
OruExpress:

You think this post is about your curiosity, but it's really about your ignorance, and as you grow older you will return to delete this or laugh at yourself.
Google Slavery, Jim Crow, American policy on black hair, and racism.

You can also ask them why white people fear mimicking their hair but steal 87% of your oil.
Curiosity? Ignorance? What does it matter?
As long as I am opened to learning abi?
Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by khia: 6:31am On Jan 27, 2020
Mariangeles:

I don't think the bolded is true though.
Rather, we celebrate it when others appreciate and share in our culture. Including white people.

Like for example; we celebrate it when African Americans who are willing, are able to trace their roots back home.
When they adopt and embrace the culture ( the clothes, language, hair...), we celebrate.

You celebrate when whites appropriate your culture but when it's black Americans it's a whole other story to be told. The first complaint is we aren't African.

It's sad that after all the reality I wrote about, the only thing that concerned you was cultural appropriation.
Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Nobody: 8:34am On Jan 27, 2020
Who cares? I don't. undecided
Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by khia: 1:29pm On Jan 27, 2020
Notasaints:
Who cares? I don't. undecided

Then why bother to read the topic? You care.
Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jan 27, 2020
khia:

Then why bother to read the topic? You care.
Believe what you want to believe.

I don't care.
Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Nobody: 2:19am On Jan 28, 2020
Ignorance is truly a bliss. If you know nothing about a problem, you do not worry about it neither do you even get angry.

2 Likes

Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Originalsly: 6:08am On Jan 28, 2020
Mariangeles:

Why do African Americans always feel the need to let people know how proud they are of their hair and skin?

Here in Africa, we just know that we are beautiful the way we are, features and all,

we celebrate it when others share in our culture.

African Americans are proud of their hair and skin. ... and want the world to know. Africans know they are beautiful the way they are. Really? Then why the skin bleaching?.... why the condemnation of wearing the natural Black hairstyle....dreadlocks? Why is someone wearing dreadlocks deemed irresponsible?... and frowned upon? Look around you first before looking abroad to condemn.

2 Likes

Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Mariangeles(f): 6:47am On Jan 28, 2020
Originalsly:

African Americans are proud of their hair and skin. ... and want the world to know. [b] Africans know they are beautiful the way they are. Really? [ b] Then why the skin bleaching?.... why the condemnation of wearing the natural Black hairstyle....dreadlocks? Why is someone wearing dreadlocks deemed irresponsible?... and frowned upon? Look around you first before looking abroad to condemn.

Yes.
Again with the same old bleaching sh!t? NEWS FLASH!!! There are still some of us (infact most) who still maintain their natural skin tone and rock their natural hair. Mr Condemnation!
Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Originalsly: 4:06pm On Jan 28, 2020
Mariangeles:

Yes.
Again with the same old bleaching sh!t? NEWS FLASH!!! There are still some of us (infact most) who still maintain their natural skin tone and rock their natural hair. Mr Condemnation!

As relates to the topic...... most Africans do not bleach.... it is a personal choice... but when society as a whole embrace bleaching.... look down on the natural dark unbleached and look up to the bleached... how can one then say the society is proud of their natural colour and skin? This is addressing the skin part of the post.

2 Likes

Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by 1Sharon(f): 8:44pm On Jan 28, 2020
Mariangeles:

Yes.

Not like black ppl in the west

2 Likes

Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Nobody: 5:01am On Jan 29, 2020
Most countries who have felt and still feel the constant oppression because of their blackness share the same 'proudness'. It's not just something limited to African Americans, people in southern Africa are also openly proud and promote their blackness in every way. This includes (but is not limited to) being proud of our skin and hair.
I would like more Nigerians to also join us in that. Black is beautiful and we will promote it until our future generations won't be the "other" or the exception to the norm.

2 Likes

Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Mariangeles(f): 8:20am On Jan 29, 2020
MegzSA:
Most countries who have felt and still feel the constant oppression because of their blackness share the same 'proudness'. It's not just something limited to African Americans, people in southern Africa are also openly proud and promote their blackness in every way. This includes (but is not limited to) being proud of our skin and hair.
I would like more Nigerians to also join us in that. Black is beautiful and we will promote it until our future generations won't be the "other" or the exception to the norm.
Thank you for your contributions.
The thing is, it is different in Nigeria.
Like, that is who we are and what we're known to be and we're comfortable being black.
We don't see or feel the need for validations.
Most of the things khia wrote are unimaginable to us, like, why should my natural hair make you uncomfortable? It doesn't make sense to me
Black is beautiful.
Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by khia: 8:41am On Jan 29, 2020
Mariangeles:

Like, that is who we are and what we're known to be and we're comfortable being black.
Most of the things khia wrote are unimaginable to us, like, why should my natural hair make you uncomfortable? It doesn't make sense to me
Black is beautiful.

Too bad it's not true that Nigerian women are proud of their hair and skin, hence the weaves and skin bleaching. undecided

1 Like

Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Mariangeles(f): 8:50am On Jan 29, 2020
khia:

Too bad it's not true that Nigerian women are proud of their hair and skin, hence the weaves and skin bleaching. undecided
African Americans wear weaves and lighten their skin too.
Though it's not called bleaching, it is something more stronger and permanent than bleaching.
They even make fun of the pure black African Americans. True or true?
Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by khia: 9:11am On Jan 29, 2020
Mariangeles:

African Americans wear weaves and lighten their skin too.
Though it's not called bleaching, it is something more stronger and permanent than bleaching.
They even make fun of the pure black African Americans. True or true?

You are lying and you know it, sure there are a very few AA women that bleach but it is an epidemic and the norm in Nigeria. The self hate and the hunger to look like their white female goddesses that they so faithfully worship is an abomination before Yah.
Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Mariangeles(f): 9:14am On Jan 29, 2020
khia:

You are lying and you know it, sure there are a very few AA women that bleach but it is an epidemic and the norm in Nigeria. The self hate and the hunger to look like their white female goddesses that they so faithfully worship is an abomination before Yah.
Stop typing what you don't know.
You know little or nothing about the Nigerian people.
Why are you always aggressive? That's another trait I forgot to mention undecided
Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Nobody: 9:48am On Jan 29, 2020
Mariangeles:

Black is beautiful.

As much as I understand that in Nigeria it is a norm, it is not the case in the rest of the world. I totally understand your point but would also like to point out to you why you should join the movement of promoting black is beautiful.

1. Just because something doesn't affect you, doesn't mean that it isn't a problem. Maybe you in Nigeria feel there's no need to loudly and openly be proud of your blackness because it isn't used in your society to oppress you. However, just because your society is open to it doesn't mean your brothers and sisters don't need your support in other countries. Also, what if you move out of Nigeria? Your kids will experience such oppression in other countries. Is that something you want?

2. everything white get promoted. Since the beginning of time everything white has been promoted and since I was born I would see ads with only white people in them describing beauty. They promote their beauty but if we keep silent on our beauty, their beauty will become the norm. Imagine that you are an alien visiting earth for the first time and you watch movies and see billboards and everything in entertainment. You'll think that the normal beauty is white because that will be all you will see.

3. It goes deeper than just showing off. It is up to us to convince the world that we too are beautiful and that we matter. Trust me, if we stay silent, we will forever be oppressed. Our forefathers were bound by chains and threatened whenever they dared to use their voices. We should take advantage of the current free world to make ourselves relevant and part of it.

So, it is absolutely great that you are proud of everything that makes you black, but it would be great if you could say it loud and proud. Another child in a white dominated society may just hear you and you may change his/her life.

2 Likes

Re: African Americans About Their Hair And Skin by Mariangeles(f): 9:51am On Jan 29, 2020
MegzSA:

As much as I understand that in Nigeria it is a norm, it is not the case in the rest of the world. I totally understand your point but would also like to point out to you why you should join the movement of promoting black is beautiful.

1. Just because something doesn't affect you, doesn't mean that it isn't a problem. Maybe you in Nigeria feel there's no need to loudly and openly be proud of your blackness because it isn't used in your society to oppress you. However, just because your society is open to it doesn't mean your brothers and sisters don't need your support in other countries. Also, what if you move out of Nigeria? Your kids will experience such oppression in other countries. Is that something you want?

2. everything white get promoted. Since the beginning of time everything white has been promoted and since I was born I would see ads with only white people in them describing beauty. They promote their beauty but if we keep silent on our beauty, their beauty will become the norm. Imagine that you are an alien visiting earth for the first time and you watch movies and see billboards and everything in entertainment. You'll think that the normal beauty is white because that will be all you will see.

3. It goes deeper than just showing off. It is up to us to convince the world that we too are beautiful and that we matter. Trust me, if we stay silent, we will forever be oppressed. Our forefathers were bound by chains and threatened whenever they dared to use their voices. We should take advantage of the current free world to make ourselves relevant and part of it.

So, it is absolutely great that you are proud of everything that makes you black, but it would be great if you could say it loud and proud. Another child in a white dominated society may just hear you and you may change his/her life.
True.
You see? I'm glad I created this thread.
I appreciate how you patiently enlightened me and made me see things from your perspective. A different perspective.
Thank you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Unforgettable Wars In Yoruba Land 2 / Is Ilorin Not A Yoruba Land / Lets Exercise Our Ibo Proverbs Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.