Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,401 members, 7,850,430 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 09:05 PM

Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly (22793 Views)

Reps Move To End Annual Rent Payment In Abuja / Direct Rent Payment / I'm Looking For Monthly Or 3 Months Flexible Rent Payment In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by Gerrard59(m): 10:21pm On Jan 22, 2020
Malcolm123:
it depends o ...yearly is way cheaper than monthly or quarterly
for countries lyk Cote d voire ,Togo etc dat use monthly ....it is not strange to be paying 20_50k a month

so by the tym u multiply am by 12 u will realize dat you are paying triple compare to wat we have in Nigeria

for example a room in Lagos for low cost mainland e.g bariga,onipanu etc u can see a room for 60k (excluding agent fee) ...dat is about 5k per month ...even for island if you are paying 400k yearly dat is about 30k monthly ...buh if na abijan u go dey hear 70-90 per month

In naira or CFA?

uuzba:

Exactly.
I paid £180 monthly in UK for a one-room flat. At the time, £1 = N250
In fact it was just 1 room with cooker and cabinet on one side. I used to go outside to take my bath.
That gives N540,000 annual rent for a 1-room flat.

What kind of bullshit is that?
Big boys in Lekki were paying that kind of money for 3 bedroom flat.

Amenities, infrastructure, taxes, currencies environment etc are different, so why the comparisons? I really don't get the comparison, it's not like Nigeria is a developed country sef.

1 Like

Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by cococandy(f): 10:29pm On Jan 22, 2020
truthsayer009:

grin grin grin

You are earning around $70k to $100k yearly, so why art thou complaining?
Look at this person. Stories

Are you in my account? shocked

1 Like

Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by djbussy(m): 11:26pm On Jan 22, 2020
Pay 3months with an agreement to be ecvited at one month notice while denied access into premises if late payment is obsevered.
Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by grcfrank: 11:48pm On Jan 22, 2020
https:///KY20mUlqmUI8TnewH6gC9v people seeking for flatmates can join the link to meet up...
Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by Malcolm123: 11:51pm On Jan 22, 2020
Gerrard59:

In naira or CFA?

Amenities, infrastructure, taxes, currencies environment etc are different, so why the comparisons? I really don't get the comparison, it's not like Nigeria is a developed country sef.

Any currency u feel lyk (even thou na naira I de mean)....d difference is not dat much ..I guess 1 naira na lyk 1.6cfa

And you don't need to bring oda ppl mention to my post ...I mention a fellow African country because I no dat standard of living is somehow similar thou not same ....u can still compare Abidjan and Lagos island togeda

Assuming i mention UAE or UK dat is wen u can bring dat argument out
A room self contain for UAE na lyk 2500aed to lyk 4k aed
Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by everyevery: 2:09am On Jan 23, 2020
Let government lead by example, each dispensation of government must build housing units before expiration of their tenure. By so doing, accommodation problems would be reduced to the bearest minimum.
Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by lekonso: 2:59am On Jan 23, 2020
Aboguede:
Sure even landlords would accept monthly but Nigerians and their usual wise life styles will always spoil every agreement grin

By the way it is not right to compare Africa or Nigeria to europe or America cox one single room rent in europe alone is like 4 or five months rent in lekki phase 2. So even Europeans can not afford to pay rent yearly
Tenants cannot equally afford to pay yearly rents in Nigeria, they are being forced to pay, that is why you see many tenants owing their landlords rents here.
Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by lekonso: 3:07am On Jan 23, 2020
DualCore1:
Monthly rent cant work in nigeria because people will begin to owe for several months. Not cuz they cant pay but just cuz they can do it and get away with it in Nigeria.

Postpaid NEPA bill that is monthly, see how hard it is to get us to pay our bills on time... until it gets to disconnection. So landlords will be evicting us monthly be that before we go pay. Then again you pay last month’s bill on the 10th of this month, of course you dont think your landlord will expect you to pay this month’s bill by the end of this month... you may pay it by the 15th of next month... and the margin keeps getting wider and wider.

In places like canada, rent has to be monthly cuz if na yearly most of us cant pay. The monthly rent of a two bedroom flat in canada can pay yearly rent for a bungalow in nigeria for two years. Since people work and are paid monthly, a considerable chunk of their salary goes to the monthly house rent and its not Nigeria where you can get away with not paying.
In the past rents were paid monthly, and tenants were paying that time. Landlords just need to vet their prospective tenants well to know their capability to pay, that is all. Do Nigerians receive their salaries yearly?

1 Like

Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by Redman44(m): 7:40am On Jan 23, 2020
Kelechi009:

Yeah, this is why people in the west live from paycheck to paycheck. Once job is lost, they are dead.

Very true. Many Nigerians don't understand the systems in the western world. Due to Rents, Mortgages, Bills, Council Tax etc, there is not much left of people's Salaries and Wages. That is why people hold on to their jobs with all their might because of the monthly payments they have to make. This is why Africans in Europe and America, Canada, Australia etc need to create multiple sources of income. Nigerians need to come and work in Europe for a year to know what people are going through, so that they will stop demanding for money anyhow. If your car has a fault or breaks down, God help you with repair fees sad sad sad sad. And when you start popping kids in the white man's land, na huge FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY be that o. God help us all. Amen.
Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by Redman44(m): 7:54am On Jan 23, 2020
uuzba:
Europeans, Westerners all live on credit.
Their bank account is 0.00. They use credit card for everything. Food, Clothes, Car, Phone contract, mortgage.
And then they spend their lives, working and paying back the credit, month after month.
In that type of life, one can barely save anything. That's why they pay monthly rent. They can never save money like us to pay yearly.
We Nigerians do not have credit system.
Nobody here will give you Food, Clothes, Car, Phone contract, mortgage on credit.
Go and earn your complete money first, before buying anything.
So somehow, we are better at saving money.
We can save to pay annual rent.
But believe me, if you allow your life to go down the path of credit-credit-credit.... you can never gain it back.
Majority of British students take out a student loan to even go to university. And this money is deducted from their salary if and when they get jobs
after graduation.
Many get seriously depressed becuase of this. If they don't pay, it is recorded as a bad credit rating and they can not take more credit for any other thing.
Some just gather small money, enter aeroplane and run to Australia (a country made or formerly British citizens) and start a new life there, never to return to UK.

@uuzba, you are absolutely correct. Spot on smiley smiley smiley smiley. When Nigerians demand money anyhow from their relatives abroad, I just shake my head. The person that can send you £50 or $50 has tried for you because nobody will dash him that amount of money in Europe or America. Yet, you see Nigerians complaining about their friends, siblings, relatives and cousins in Europe being stingy. You that just ate Semovita, vegetable soup and meat as your dinner sad sad sad, will now pick up your phone and ask for £100 from someone in the UK who is buying chicken and chips from a fast food joint on his street as his dinner- This person is also thinking of how to pay his rent for that Month though he has a full time job. Some of you need to come and work in Europe and America so that you can understand the 'Billing Lifestyle and System'. May God grant you the visa you are praying for. Amen. I am not saying Nigerians are not making it in Europe and America, don't get it twisted. What I am saying is that you should not always think the Grass is Greener on the other side of the Fence. This assumption is relative.

1 Like

Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by Gerrard59(m): 8:04am On Jan 23, 2020
Malcolm123:

Any currency u feel lyk (even thou na naira I de mean)....d difference is not dat much ..I guess 1 naira na lyk 1.6cfa

And you don't need to bring oda ppl mention to my post ...I mention a fellow African country because I no dat standard of living is somehow similar thou not same ....u can still compare Abidjan and Lagos island togeda

Assuming i mention UAE or UK dat is wen u can bring dat argument out
A room self contain for UAE na lyk 2500aed to lyk 4k aed

Based on your first paragraph, then rent is really expensive in Abidjan. I didn't quote you on the UK and anyone comparing the UK to Nigeria on rent or expenses is mischievous.
Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by Andy1985ng(m): 8:33am On Jan 23, 2020
Monthly Rent.

Pros:

1. Puts Landlords on the squeeze. They have to maintain their building to standard as a tenant can easily move to another apartment at any time he/she wishes.
2. Income generation is gotten faster by the landlords. It can make the accommodation industry boom as people would prefer to enter the business.
3. Competition. Better houses/apartments to please potential tenants.
4. As it is done abroad, amenities like water/power bills, etc. are handled by the landlord although the Postpaid meters can move this responsibility to the tenants and there is no fear of accumulated bills for a new tenant moving into a new apartment.

Cons.

1. Erratic payments by potential tenants can destroy this model. Tenants can easily frustrate the landlord into bankruptcy.
2. Nigeria is not a credit friendly country. These foreigners live on credit. They pay their bills and feed on credit and work to pay off their debt in the bank. Nigeria doesn't support such a system (which is a good thing in my opinion).
3. This model brings about a lack of savings culture. If one loses his/her job, it could easily lead to homelessness if another job is not gotten almost immediately. A yearly rent system creates a sort of cushion in such instances.

3 Likes

Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by Olalekank(m): 9:44am On Jan 23, 2020
grcfrank:
https:///KY20mUlqmUI8TnewH6gC9v people seeking for flatmates can join the link to meet up...
You might consider separating the link
Something like chat . WhatsApp .com/
Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by Aboguede(m): 9:51am On Jan 23, 2020
Nigeria is better than many African countries in terms of every thing as long as you think straight

Righteousness89:

I hv visited African countries.. and rent is paid Monthly..
Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by Righteousness89(m): 10:13am On Jan 23, 2020
Aboguede:

Nigeria is better than many African countries in terms of every thing as long as you think straight

Don't talk from afar... Visit them before u talk..

I personally know of Nations which Are sooo poor but have things Far better than Nigeria..

Nigeria is a Blessed Nation with Demonic leadership... so the citizens have become sooo used to the failed leadership, infrastructure and all that....

Up till tomorrow Nigeria is still battling with electricity issues... it's a Shame! Heavy shame..

What we see is people that come every 4yrs to promise road, water etc..

Poorer Nations in Africa are doing far better..

The Tangible things Nigeria has today more than other nations is The GOD Factor and Population..

The only Things I miss in Nigeria today is My place of Worship/ my Brethren over there and My Local Nigerian dishes..

Nothing more!

1 Like

Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by Dinspires(m): 1:58pm On Jan 23, 2020
To me yearly is better, as tenant before the year runs out you are able to save up and pay then focus your attention to other things. For the landlord, he gets his money in bulk and use it for something worthwhile.
Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by davidufuoma(m): 4:06pm On Jan 23, 2020
Mind you most of the monthly payments are deducted directly from workers salary to avoid story.
So for me I believe that it is flexible
The only thing you need to do is to look for a house that is not above your means
Thank you
Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by ewizard1: 8:47pm On Jan 23, 2020
DRSEGUNBABA:
As a landlord, I ll never accept monthly tenants. They will never pay nothing but stories.
And you think you wont hear Yearly Stories?
Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by Thazard(m): 11:42am On Jan 25, 2020
Yearly
Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by Zoey1: 1:11am On Jan 26, 2020
Link not going through
grcfrank:
Re: Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly by neutralmind: 5:11pm On Nov 10, 2021
Room available in Isolo.

Details

1 room available in Isolo. Room only. To share toilet, bathroom and kitchen with other tenants in the compound.

Few minutes walk from Lagos State Polytechnic. LASPOTEC Isolo Campus. Location is very accessible.

Street is tarred and decent.

The house is also decent and not crowded.

I got the room for students in Laspotec. The plan was to sublet to students then earn income over time. However it appears I may change plans.

Rent already fully paid till September 2022.

Room is already painted. Good looking rug laid on the floor already. Small mattress available. Ceiling fan may be installed ( not decided ).

If you are interested, let's talk.

I could accept an agreed monthly payment plan to reduce the financial burden.

Or you pay in 3 or 4 instalments.

Just show capacity to pay regularly and I'm good.

Preferable tenant: Working class male or female.

Chat me up on WhatsApp: 09131586136

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reduce Your Rents, Landlords -FG / Farmland For Lease At N3000 Per Acre. Get More For Less! / Questions To Ask Before Buying A Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.