Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,160 members, 7,811,350 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:56 AM

My Landmark In The Fish Farming Industry - Mayowa Durosinmi-Etti. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Landmark In The Fish Farming Industry - Mayowa Durosinmi-Etti. (436 Views)

Where Can We Get The Fish Used For Sardines (clupea Harengus) / The Use Of Super GRO For Fish Farming / Fish Farming As A Lucrative Business In Nigeria: Beginner Guide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Landmark In The Fish Farming Industry - Mayowa Durosinmi-Etti. by FarmersWealth(m): 1:47am On Jan 24, 2020
MY LANDMARK IN THE FISH FARMING INDUSTRY

I'm 31 and in the last one decade I have committed myself to nothing than creating a pathway for others to thread in the farming industry.

Last year I met an older guy on this space, he saw one of my tutorial video on catfish farming and reach out to me via whatsapp.

Mr Prudence is a Burundian (a Portuguese speaking country in the East of Africa), but based in South Africa. He is tech savvy and an enterpreneur to the core.

We discussed so many things related to integrating Agric and tech for African to utilize for personal development and business sustainable goals.

Earlier 2019, he told me he wanted to venture in Pig farming but would prefered citing it in his country home, Burundi.

With proper guidelines from me and other informating aids via whatsapp chatting, he was able to set up his largescale PIG FARM in Burundi. This occured in August 2019.

He started off with 50 exotic pig weaners in a 200 capacity Piggery facilities.

He reach out to me in October 2019 with an appreciation note, he told me he would like to set up and host a website for my brand at his cost.

I bought the domain name but he host and set up the website for me at no cost.

My brand used to be #farmerswealthnigeria but with this gratitude from a Burundian, I removed the Nigeria and named it #farmerswealth, so it could sound accomodating to everyone around the Globe.

#farmerswealth is an online agrobusiness course catalogue. It was launched in November 2019 and over 260 Africans have a taken a course or two to better the prospects of their farm and intending goals.

Prior to this, he had reach out to me in August 2019 that he would like to extends his venture by setting up a fish farm in Burundi.

I said that's cool, I'm always available as a resource person anytime he need my services.

He said the only challenge he would be having is how to get the fish feeds and other facilities as he would be the first person to raise fish commercially in the whole of Burundi.

I asked him hillariously, do the people don't eat fish? He said they do but depends solely on the proceeds from the local streams and rivers which is not always certain and as a result fish is very expensive in Burundi.

Unlike poultry and other livestocks feed that always comes in mash, fish feeds do comes in pelet and this do makes it more costlier as 80% of the farmers can't afford the cost of a feed pelleting machine.

The feed ingredients consist of the local raw agricultural materials that can be easily source around but the problem is how to produce it into pellets without the use of machine.

I'm a fish farmer myself in Nigeria and I depends solely on the expensive factory processed feeds. I know the materials and how to formulate fish feed but I can't afford the pelleting machine.

When Mr Prudence reach out to me on this, my thought was how can I create a solution to this problem of fish farmers in Africa.

On October 2019, I brought out N20,000 from my personal purse. I went to a nearby feedmills, bought some feed ingredients with the aim to experiment on how to produce fish feed without the use of pelleting machine.

Thanks goodness! I have a fish farm with thousands of fish I can experiment with. I hop on youtube to search for solutions also search for journals but couldn't get any tangible resources.

I experiment different kind of methods from hand rolling (this would take eternity to pellet 15kg of feed) to baking and now I found a solution that is more effective, stress free than a pelleting machine itself.

The structural texture is in a cubic form unlike the usual circular or cylindric form. This looks unique to the fish and they are always wanting to savour it at anytime, anyday.

I got the experiment right last year October and uptill now I have not bought any single factory made fish feed for my adult fish.

All I do is go to the feedmill or market to buy the dried feed materials such as maize, soyabean meal, palm kernel cake, groudnut cake etc, and use the roasted fish and chicken intestines as animal protein source.

I'll mix all together in a formulated ration, take it to the local millers and bring it to my farm to produce the finished pellets without the use of pelleting machine.

This is a relieved to me and other small and medium scale farmers in Africa. You can now sit down anywhere to produce your fish feed without the use of pelleting machine.

It has also help me reduced the cost of feeding drastically as I normally buy the factory made pellets feeds within the range of N5500 to N6500.

But now I can successfully produced 15kg (40% crude protein) feed at just the range of N3500 to N4000 depending on the current cost of feed materials in the open market.

I have written a comprehensive course on this research and uploaded with lesson slides, pdf files and practical videos on #farmerwealthng

If interested kindly click this link to participate http://farmerswealthng.com/courses/fish-feed-formulation-and-how-to-produce-pellets-without-the-use-of-machine/

My next project will on how to produce the African catfish fingerlings without the use of the expensive artificial hormone.

This project is in existence but I'll throw more light to it in a business way so African fish farmers can greatly benefit.

Mayowa Durosinmi-Etti
Farmer/Agribusiness Consultant and Blogger.

Re: My Landmark In The Fish Farming Industry - Mayowa Durosinmi-Etti. by manitoba(m): 11:57am On Jan 24, 2020
Kudos to you.

Keep breaking new grounds.
Re: My Landmark In The Fish Farming Industry - Mayowa Durosinmi-Etti. by lummydi(m): 4:32pm On Feb 15, 2020
[b]Best offer in town .
Industrial PKC
Cornbran and bloodmeal for sale
Location iperu remo
For more details call or WhatsApp

(1) (Reply)

White Albino Rats / Join Farmers Group For Free Articles And Content Related To Agriculture / Rosemary Farming In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.