Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,081 members, 7,859,917 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 09:24 PM

LOATH Vs Loathe...know The Difference And Usage - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / LOATH Vs Loathe...know The Difference And Usage (752 Views)

Do You Know The Meaning Of POLICE? / Covenant University Limits Students' Internet Usage To 1 Hour Daily (Video) / What's The Difference Between Med Lab Science And Med Lab Tech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

LOATH Vs Loathe...know The Difference And Usage by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jan 30, 2020
LOATH: an adjective, meaning "unwilling or reluctant." For example, "I am loath to go running when the temperature is below 40* F." (Note: Loath is sometimes (rarely) spelled loth, and is likely to be seen in British English.)
LOATHE: a verb meaning, "to dislike greatly." For example, "I loathe running in general, but I promised my friend we would do a 5K race together." Loathe is a transitive verb, which means it takes an object.
LOATH rhymes with the words "both" and "oath."
LOATHE: rhymes with the verb "to clothe."
"I was LOATH to plant mint in my herb garden because I had heard it can take over in a few years."
"I LOATHE cilantro, but husband eats it with everything."
If you have trouble remembering the difference between loathe and loath, remember that "loathe" rhymes with "clothe," which has a corresponding noun "cloth." It's also similar to breathe/breath and teethe/teeth. The verbs all have the "e." Now, in clothe/breathe/teethe, the corresponding words lacking the "e" are *nouns*, and "loath" is an *adjective*, but the similarity is there that it usually serves as a helpful memory trick.
Re: LOATH Vs Loathe...know The Difference And Usage by AfroBeatDiary: 11:55pm On Jan 30, 2020
TheSourcerer:
you're everywhere

People really need to stay away from that shit, it's killing our youth.
Re: LOATH Vs Loathe...know The Difference And Usage by TheSourcerer: 12:05am On Jan 31, 2020
AfroBeatDiary:

People really need to stay away from that shit, it's killing our youth.
keep up the selfless act , More Strength!

(1) (Reply)

What Course Can One Study In The University With This Result? / See Why Polyibadan Is The First Among Equal Polytechnics In Nigeria / Again, Anambra Leads In The Recent Released Jamb Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.