Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,229 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma (83886 Views)

Check How Much My Mother Used To Buy Garri And How Much I'm Buying Now / I Bought A Paint Bucket Of Garri N1000 In My Area. How Much Is It In Your Area? / Garri And Fried Fish Served At A Wedding In Lagos! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Enemyofpeace: 3:54am On Feb 03, 2020
Gari drinking get levels o. I remember when i tooked dominique to uncle Dangote's place and we met him drinking gari with Otedola, Adenuga and some other big boys,ol boy if you see the gari and all the things wey dem dey take drink am, gari go dey hungry you every. Uncle later tolded me that everything we ated that afternoon were all imported from the US including the gari. Na so fare catch me

2 Likes

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Nobody: 4:08am On Feb 03, 2020
collinsuchendu:
Drinking garri doesn't mean you’re poor, but allowing the garri to swell-up before drinking is poverty.

-Paa Kwesi Nduom

Or peradventure, drinking garri with salt and palm carnel
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by golddare: 4:25am On Feb 03, 2020
MRcocaFanta:
Well it's the purpose of the thread though.

Like I'm just saying that the rich enjoys soaking of garri too.
But since you asked, there you go. Lol

I hope you see the difference between this pictures and the previous ones. Why gaari is associated with the poor is because it's their staple food, they take it as often as they can to survive in the morning and even to bed without groundnut or kulikuli.
The poor will rather use that fish or meat to cook soup for eba instead of using it to drink gaari.
The rich drink gaari simply because of the desire while the poor drink gaari most times because of availability.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by mildflame: 4:42am On Feb 03, 2020
ekestic1976:
You don't DRINK Gari; you EAT it, just as you don't drink orange but eat it. OP may have to get the New Oxford English Course Nigeria Book 2 for more teaching! grin grin grin

What do u recommend 4d olodo mod

1 Like

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by ayandee: 4:52am On Feb 03, 2020
kiyosaki1:

Mastery of a language doesn't equate intelligence. We now know you are linguistic expert , next please. We all understand the author's message.
it was the mention of New Oxford English Course that caught my attention. I didn't intend anything derogatory. Saying he's old was a show of respect.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Thunderblasts(m): 4:56am On Feb 03, 2020
It's wretched and not rached
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Jubal01: 5:20am On Feb 03, 2020
ekestic1976:
You don't DRINK Gari; you EAT it, just as you don't drink orange but eat it. OP may have to get the New Oxford English Course Nigeria Book 2 for more teaching! grin grin grin

Oga, u dont eat garri, u SMOKE it!
U also need to upgrade ur diction.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Hotfreez: 5:31am On Feb 03, 2020
osazsky:
See BMC and yoruba slaves trying to justify d soaking of garri cuz rice is now for d elite Buhari y....well we d masses don't want rice again rice don tire me ....

Look at this unfortunate carpenter. No wonder you can't think straight. Poverty has dented your reasoning.

The garri they put on the other page is better than your mother's pot of soup. You dumb pauper.

2 Likes

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Drince: 6:13am On Feb 03, 2020
SilentVboy:
O boy, if u have schooled in d boarding house, then u will know that drinking/soaking garri is really a great moment.

Boarding sch wahala no be small ooo.
The poor ones are the ones with cornflakes,sugar,milk,milo and other.. You see those people with quarter bag of garri.. they are the richest.. I remember when i'd do runs with my garri for cornflakes,milk and sugar, whenever i felt like taking Cornflakes or GSM (garri sugar and milk)
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:16am On Feb 03, 2020
GARRI : Saving lives since 575 AD.

Garri and BBQ Chicken or FISH, A perfect combination!!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Nobody: 6:24am On Feb 03, 2020
MRcocaFanta:
Yummy

dis is heaven on heart.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Enyimbamercedes: 6:26am On Feb 03, 2020
You can dress a pig in satin and lace; it is still a pig.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by colestephan86: 6:31am On Feb 03, 2020
Simonokeh7:
True words bro while growing up my mom noticed this and opted to mix both the milo and the milk in a bigger can
Laff wan kill me o!
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by thatkindthing: 6:33am On Feb 03, 2020
How can someone even call the almighty garri a poor man's food?
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by HabaHaba: 6:53am On Feb 03, 2020
ekestic1976:
Bros Queens English chiiilll! This is Naija and we use our own language in our style.
Every body knows that to soak Garri also means to "drink Garri" in Pidgin. Yes! Using that queens English will spoil the flavor of talking about Garri, so please respect our lingua franca, pidgin which is fast gaining high prominence & recognition by even the Oxford you mentioned.

1 Like

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Wallace2107: 6:53am On Feb 03, 2020
MRcocaFanta:
As a Nigeria, you might have heard people saying that when someone drinks garri, it means the person is poor and rached.

For example, people tend to laugh at those that soaks garri.

But that isn't the case.

So today I've compiled pics that will make you think twice before branding soaking or drinking of garri, a "poverty food"
ur English tho lipsrsealed
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by jeremiahbdrc(m): 6:55am On Feb 03, 2020
garri..... hmmmmm
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by back2sender: 6:55am On Feb 03, 2020
MRcocaFanta:
The pics are scary right grin
LASSA FEVER is all I see. A other trick to hoodwinked people to continue drinking garri, the preparation of this commodity in the villages still calls for concern because of the close proximity between the Bush rat and the commodity.

For the mean TIme stop drinking garri
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Hisroyalbadmeat(m): 6:55am On Feb 03, 2020
You people should stop demeaning our foods, taking garri with milk and sugar is equivalent to taking corn flakes and other baked cereals, drank garri with an American friend of mine some years back,he loved it, but the guy dey use milk like say na water grin
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Wallace2107: 6:56am On Feb 03, 2020
Enemyofpeace:
Gari drinking get levels o. I remember when i tooked dominique to uncle Dangote's place and we met him drinking gari with Otedola, Adenuga and some other big boys,ol boy if you see the gari and all the things wey dem dey take drink am, gari go dey hungry you every. Uncle later tolded me that everything we ated that afternoon were all imported from the US including the gari. Na so fare catch me
I hereby recommend brighter grammer or English without tears for u grin
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by HabaHaba: 6:56am On Feb 03, 2020
Enyimbamercedes:
You can dress a pig in satin and lace; it is still a pig.

And the pig could be the one writing about Pigs.

Animal Farm Pig!!!
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by HabaHaba: 6:57am On Feb 03, 2020
Enemyofpeace:
Uncle, I fear your English pass the fear wey catch you Dangotes Garri party.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by backbone503(m): 6:58am On Feb 03, 2020
TRUSTEDGUY:
grin
Whether you like it or not garri na poor man food
Big, farking lie!
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by GermanMelania: 7:00am On Feb 03, 2020
ekestic1976:

You are wrong. In yoruba you drink it. You also drink an orange in yoruba because don't eat the membrane. We suck out the juice and pulp.
You need to understand culture affects language and stop anglocizing everything.

Based on that reflection we also lick ice cream instead of eating it which makes no sense to us.
As ice cream was introduced only lickable was available.
Not all cows go moo because they do in uk. Cows in other places have thier own sounds.
With peoole like you nigerian english wouldn't have made it into oxford recently. Nigerian style english is 100 percent as valid as uk english.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by GermanMelania: 7:02am On Feb 03, 2020
Hakeem12:
Bad timing, let lassa blow over before tempting people with these pics
Just toast it dry in a hot pot for 5 minutes while stirring. Alloq to cool. Drink.

2 Likes

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by HabaHaba: 7:03am On Feb 03, 2020
Me, I work in a very corporate organization of high international standards. We get well paid with no delays in Salaries. Almost all my colleagues have their own houses, some even several houses. Yet, we sometimes enj3to soak a well made Garri, with Moi Moi (enmeshed with full Egg complement) and Suya.

Sometimes we change the accompanying delicacies.
The thing is we are Nigerians and we can never forget out Naija delicacies which is still out culture.
Promote your culture in a modern way, others will envy and celebrate it!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Nobody: 7:08am On Feb 03, 2020
RedBlackPepper:
Drinking garri with swags is not a sign of poverty. It is only poverty when you drink without swags.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Farki: 7:09am On Feb 03, 2020
Dbanj drinks garri, my grandfather drank garri is sweet food of the gods. cheesy
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by mechanics(m): 7:15am On Feb 03, 2020
ojun50:
This is for some1 that have little money, show us pix of some1 who only had groundout nd just sugar and water
lolz.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by lekspot01(m): 7:20am On Feb 03, 2020
ekestic1976:
Attention seeker
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by proclinician: 7:22am On Feb 03, 2020
Lassa fever no get cure alright. Okay bye
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by proclinician: 7:24am On Feb 03, 2020
GermanMelania:

Just toast it dry in a hot pot for 5 minutes while stirring. Alloq to cool. Drink.

U toast it to a 100 degrees C u mean?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Picture Of A $25.75 Rice That I Bought In Chicago US / African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos) / Akara I Bought For N250 At Ikoyi.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.