Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,099 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

When Did Nigerians Start Travelling Overseas After The Founding Of Nigeria? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / When Did Nigerians Start Travelling Overseas After The Founding Of Nigeria? (519 Views)

When Did Igbo Monarch Changes Their Dressing To AGBADA (yoruba Monarch Dressing) / Nigeria Corruption Started From The Very Beginning With Our Founding Fathers. / See The Origins And Founding Patriarchs of Yoruba And Yoruboid Towns. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Did Nigerians Start Travelling Overseas After The Founding Of Nigeria? by tpiander: 6:34pm On Feb 05, 2020
specifically, to North America.

Any earliest authentic records?
Re: When Did Nigerians Start Travelling Overseas After The Founding Of Nigeria? by tpiander: 6:34pm On Feb 05, 2020
Founding of Nigeria give or take a few decades.
Re: When Did Nigerians Start Travelling Overseas After The Founding Of Nigeria? by anonymous6(f): 9:21pm On Feb 05, 2020
I don’t have any records but from what I’ve heard from my parents and etc at least in large numbers Nigerians staring traveling specifically to North America during the late 70’s
Re: When Did Nigerians Start Travelling Overseas After The Founding Of Nigeria? by nlPoster: 10:44pm On Feb 05, 2020
That was the post war generation.

There were Nigerians travelling to North America before that, but for some reason they're very low key. One of them later became the Nigerian prime minister.

It's either their numbers were not very large (which I doubt but I could be wrong), or perhaps I should be asking if it was the other way round. The rather confusing thing is the main immigration that's well known is via Brazil (the returnees) and before the creation of Nigeria.
Re: When Did Nigerians Start Travelling Overseas After The Founding Of Nigeria? by mockwill: 5:06am On Feb 06, 2020
I like the post and thanks for sharing this to us. QuickPayPortal is an online portal that helps users to pay medical bills online through a website. Quickpayportal is one of the most frequently accessed website on the internet. https://quickpayportal.win
Re: When Did Nigerians Start Travelling Overseas After The Founding Of Nigeria? by drips8(m): 1:49pm On Feb 09, 2020
The first Nigerians started moving to North America in the 70s after the civil war, a sizeable proportion were igbos.

I read that Houston TX became a popular city for the earlier Nigerian immigrants as flights from Nigeria would stop only at Houston and since the weather was good and it had good commercial activities going on, a lot of them stayed.

(1) (Reply)

Nostradamus Predicted 2020 As The World End Time And Other Apocalypses In Histor / Court Sacks Enugu Monarch Over Forged Certificate / A Friend Is About To Go To Jail Because Of Pastor's Revelation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.