Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,189 members, 7,835,954 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) (4296 Views)

Excessive Fuel Consumption And Emmision Of Black Smoke / How Does One Calculate Fuel Consumption Based On Distance Covered By A Vehicle?? / Excessive Fuel Consumption In Carburetor Mercedes Benz Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by Mynewdawn15: 3:23pm On Feb 06, 2020
Good Afternoon All.

Please my car has been seriously consuming fuel.
I bought it as a Nigerian used January 2019, when I bought the car, the thermostat has been removed with the fan connected direct, AC also converted to manual compressor.

I reverse the fan connection to factory setting, bought thermostat and everything has been working fine, after 5 months the AC compressor got burnt (the excuse of the technician then was that since my fan is not connected direct the manual compressor can retain heat reason why it got burnt), got a poeguet 406 compressor, after some months it started leaking and eventually got burnt.

Changed AC technician, the new guy bought big daddy compressor, changed condenser and Evaporator also recommended that I connect the fan direct else the compressor will get burnt again. After that my AC has been working fine but my car consumes fuel like mad. The fan is running direct with my thermostat still intact. No check engine light, I already scanned it no error code. Spark Plugs are burning fine.
Ltft is - 25% while STFT is between 3.5% and - 1.6%

Kindly help on what to do to reduce the fuel consumption.

Won't the compressor burn again if I return the fan to factory setup?

Car is Toyota camry 2008 I4.

Cc

Gazzuzz
Mosbus
Heavenlybang
Kingreignn
Radautoworks
and everyone who has experienced this and conquered it.

Thanks
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by daddytime(m): 4:15pm On Feb 06, 2020
This car sef go don confuse for him life.

Poor car.

8 Likes

Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by Mynewdawn15: 10:09pm On Feb 06, 2020
Help ooo
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by Inception(m): 11:30am On Feb 07, 2020
Mynewdawn15:
Good Afternoon All.

I bought it as a Nigerian used January 2019, when I bought the car, the thermostat has been removed with the fan connected direct, AC also converted to manual compressor.

I reverse the fan connection to factory setting, bought thermostat and everything has been working fine, after 5 months the AC compressor got burnt (the excuse of the technician then was that since my fan is not connected direct the manual compressor can retain heat reason why it got burnt), got a poeguet 406 compressor, after some months it started leaking and eventually got burnt.

Changed AC technician, the new guy bought big daddy compressor, changed condenser and Evaporator also recommended that I connect the fan direct else the compressor will get burnt again. After that my AC has been working fine but my car consumes fuel like mad. The fan is running direct with my thermostat still intact. No check engine light, I already scanned it no error code. Spark Plugs are burning fine.

Cc

Gazzuzz
Mosbus
Heavenlybang
Kingreignn
Radautoworks

Thanks

With this, it will take forever for your car to get to closed loop.

your car ECU is being tricked that the engine is running too cold, hence it is simply dumping fuel into your engine combustion chambers in perpetuity to ensure your engine has warmed up. With this kind of condition, your idle speed will be quite high. the LTFT of -25% is an indication that your engine is running rich.

start by reverting all connections to factory settings, installing your thermostat to get your engine back to operating specifications.
Then we can talk of how your AC can work without being burnt out.

Your 2008 toyota camry is not a 1982 Peugeot 504.

14 Likes

Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by Mynewdawn15: 12:06pm On Feb 07, 2020
Inception:

your car ECU is being tricked that the engine is running too cold, hence it is simply dumping fuel into your engine combustion chambers in perpetuity to ensure your engine has warmed up. With this kind of condition, your idle speed will be quite high. the LTFT of -25% is an indication that your engine is running rich.

start by reverting all connections to factory settings, installing your thermostat to get your engine back to operating specifications.

Thanks for your time.

Presently I have a thermostat installed in the engine, just that the fan is being run direct because the technician said if I don't my compressor will get burnt.

For the AC, I bought a new 04 camry compressor, a new condenser and a new Evaporator with all pipes washed. Now fan connected direct to avoid compressor from burning, since then my fuel consumption has been high.

Are you now saying I should reverse the direct fan connection?
Won't my compressor get burnt again?

1 Like

Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by 2shure: 12:30pm On Feb 07, 2020
Well its either your 02 sensor is bad,or catalyst converter has been popped out. Radiator fan direct connection to ignition,has lil or no impact on the fuel dosage. You must be getting some misfires,rough idle. Secondly why would they change evaporator. All this charge and bail ac technician. That was how one argues with me ar ladipo that it was evaporator,valve,lets open dashboard. We almost got into a fight afte wasting close to 100k. Anytin a/c my guy,na naija u dey. Manual o,auto o. The manual am using in my acura since last year feb till now e dey cause hamattan. Get a competent ac technician that has tools and gadgets and can test and know what compressor to buy. If not e go burn quick like petrol. Lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by olumzzz(m): 12:41pm On Feb 07, 2020
2shure:
Well its either your 02 sensor is bad,or catalyst converter has been popped out. Radiator fan direct connection to ignition,has lil or no impact on the fuel dosage. You must be getting some misfires,rough idle. Secondly why would they change evaporator. All this charge and bail ac technician. That was how one argues with me ar ladipo that it was evaporator,valve,lets open dashboard. We almost got into a fight afte wasting close to 100k. Anytin a/c my guy,na naija u dey. Manual o,auto o. The manual am using in my acura since last year feb till now e dey cause hamattan. Get a competent ac technician that has tools and gadgets and can test and know what compressor to buy. If not e go burn quick like petrol. Lol
I disagree with you sir.
Fan running direct makes the engine not to attain optimum working temperature, thus running cold and consuming more fuel as ECU sends in more fuel to warm it up

1 Like

Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by bigl: 3:37pm On Feb 07, 2020
Inception:

Sorry bro! I don't know much about cars but:

1. Check your ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) Sensor - most likely its gone!
2. Ensure your O2 sensors are working and not dirty! If dirty, clean it!

Follow what oga inception dey talk!

Though camry seems to have factory issue, maybe brain box!

A big bro of mine had a similar excess fuel consumption/ac issue for weeks! All of a sudden without any mecho touching it, it start working normally!
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by nonhuman(m): 4:16pm On Feb 07, 2020
The two of spark plug of my car is covering with black carbon, I have changed it twice it repeats the same thing
Could this also be the reason why my fuel economy have gone bad, please what is the problem of my car any useful information will be appreciated I use 2008 Hyundai
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by radautoworks: 5:01pm On Feb 07, 2020
Mynewdawn15:
Good Afternoon All.

Cc

Gazzuzz
Mosbus
Heavenlybang
Kingreignn
Radautoworks

Thanks

Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by TCAT: 5:08pm On Feb 07, 2020
Mynewdawn15:
Good Afternoon All.

I reverse the fan connecon to factory setting, bought thermostat and everything has been working fine, after 5 months the AC compressor got burnt (the excuse of the technician then was that since my fan is not connected direct the manual compressor can retain heat reason why it got burnt), got a poeguet 406 compressor, after some months it started leaking and eventually got burnt.

Cc

Gazzuzz
Mosbus
Heavenlybang
Kingreignn
Radautoworks

Thanks

Hello guys, please advise me, is it good to buy a 2008 Toyota Camry. ? I heard it consumes oil when it reaches a milage of 80,000 plus. They said it's because the engine 2 AZ - FE, and it is better to buy an engine that has 2gr- FE which is a V6. Kindly advice. thanks
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by promotervickky(m): 5:42pm On Feb 07, 2020
Mynewdawn15:
Good Afternoon All.

Cc

Gazzuzz
Mosbus
Heavenlybang
Kingreignn
Radautoworks

Thanks

My first question: How much did you buy the car?
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by promotervickky(m): 5:44pm On Feb 07, 2020
nonhuman:
The two of spark plug of my car is covering with black carbon, I have changed it twice it repeats the same thing
Could this also be the reason why my fuel economy have gone bad, please what is the problem of my car any useful information will be appreciated I use 2008 Hyundai

Do you use good company oil for servicing? And does your exhaust have a leakage.

Check on these
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by Mynewdawn15: 5:50pm On Feb 07, 2020
promotervickky:

My first question: How much did you buy the car?

I guess after telling you the price, it will resolve the issue I have.

Proffer a solution if you have one and if you don't have, just read and pass.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by promotervickky(m): 5:53pm On Feb 07, 2020
Mynewdawn15:

I guess after telling you the price, it will resolve the issue I have.

Proffer a solution if you have one and if you don't have, just read and pass.

Tell me first. The problem may have started from there.
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by nonhuman(m): 5:58pm On Feb 07, 2020
promotervickky:

Do you use good company oil for servicing? And does your exhaust have a leakage.

Check on these
I use Mobil always, my exhaust is not leaking
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by promotervickky(m): 6:25pm On Feb 07, 2020
nonhuman:
I use Mobil always, my exhaust is not leaking

Taken it to a mechanic? What did he say?
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by dru23(m): 2:56am On Feb 08, 2020
Mynewdawn15:
Good Afternoon All.

Cc

Gazzuzz
Mosbus
Heavenlybang
Kingreignn
Radautoworks

Thanks

That is the beginning of your troubles

1 Like

Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by A305: 7:02am On Feb 08, 2020
nonhuman:
What kind of spark plug? get the iradium type and carbon on spark plugs is normal, what you should look out for is oil around the spark plug or the tip.

Scan your car to get codes for why you having a bad gas mileage.
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by BarrSly: 10:33am On Feb 08, 2020
Guy we are both in the same boat oooo I'm thinking of buying the 2007 Toyota Camry i4 but they said it Burns oil now I'll seriously considering 2008 Honda Accord i4 though with its own issue as well however I hear less complaints about it in comparison to it's Camry year mate.

TCAT:

Hello guys, please advise me, is it good to buy a 2008 Toyota Camry. ? I heard it consumes oil when it reaches a milage of 80,000 plus. They said it's because the engine 2 AZ - FE, and it is better to buy an engine that has 2gr- FE which is a V6. Kindly advice. thanks
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by nonhuman(m): 10:40am On Feb 09, 2020
promotervickky:

Taken it to a mechanic? What did he say?
The mechanic doesn't know what to look out as the engine is firing very well
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by radautoworks: 4:08pm On Feb 09, 2020
nonhuman:

Oxygen sensors most likely without more information
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by radautoworks: 4:10pm On Feb 09, 2020
nonhuman:

[s]Oxygen sensors most likely without more information[/s] nm. Your car is messed up and you either drive it like that or cough up money to return to factory properly. Your compressor is not burning because of "heat". What kind of car is this anyway?
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by radautoworks: 4:13pm On Feb 09, 2020
Mynewdawn15:
Good Afternoon All.

Cc

Gazzuzz
Mosbus
Heavenlybang
Kingreignn
Radautoworks

Thanks

[s]Oxygen sensors most likely without more information[/s] nm. Your car is messed up and you either drive it like that or cough up money to return to factory properly. Your compressor is not burning because of "heat". All those people who keep saying the cars can handle manual I don't see y'all commenting now.
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by Joebas: 12:40am On Feb 10, 2020
Pls help is needed
Fuel consumption is too high in 2000 Toyota Avalon. Scanned it and got 3 codes
Knock sensor bank 1
Knock sensor bank 2
O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (wires were cut during cat replacement)
Stft for both banks is 19.5 on both banks during idle but decreases to 0 as engine is revd up
Ltft is 30.5 for both banks

Note: changed most vacum pipes including the pcv
Help is really needed
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by KINGreignn: 8:29am On Feb 10, 2020
Mynewdawn15:
Good Afternoon All.

Cc

Gazzuzz
Mosbus
Heavenlybang
Kingreignn
Radautoworks

Thanks

Where is your location biko?
Alot of things has been done terribly to that car.
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by Mynewdawn15: 1:48pm On Feb 10, 2020
Mynewdawn15:
Good Afternoon All.

Cc

Gazzuzz
Mosbus
Heavenlybang
Kingreignn
Radautoworks

Thanks

Thanks to everyone that contributed.

I have been able to narrow down the issue to Radiator fan not coming on when AC is switched on, reason for the fan being connected direct which has been given me poor fuel economy.

Before the last compressor got burnt, radiator fan works based on engine thermostat and whenever I switch the AC on, at times the fan picks(depending on the temperature) and later goes off. But does not work continuously most time when AC is on.

@radautoworks it is a Toyota camry 08 four plugs. I understand that the compressor has already been converted to manual even at that AC should be able to work without fan being connected direct.

@Kingreignn I am in Gboko(Benue State)

The help I need now is how to make my fan work when AC is switched on instead of it running continuously so that I can revert any connection done. Then the radiator fan will work base on the engine thermostat when AC is not switched on, then run continuously when AC is on.

Gazzuzz
Radautoworks
Iception
and everyone who has conquered this same issue
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by Inception(m): 1:56pm On Feb 10, 2020
Mynewdawn15:

I have been able to narrow down the issue to Radiator fan not coming on when AC is switched on, reason for the fan being connected direct which has been given me poor fuel economy.

Before the last compressor got burnt, radiator fan works based on engine thermostat and whenever I switch the AC on, at times the fan picks(depending on the temperature) and later goes off. But does not work continuously most time when AC is on.

@radautoworks it is a Toyota camry 08 four plugs. I understand that the compressor has already been converted to manual even at that AC should be able to work without fan being connected direct.

The help I need now is how to make my fan work when AC is switched on instead of it running continuously so that I can revert any connection done. Then the radiator fan will work base on the engine thermostat when AC is not switched on, then run continuously when AC is on.

Gazzuzz
Radautoworks
Iception

your radiator fans are directly controlled from the ECU( brainbox) via signals obtained from:
1. Coolant temperature sensor
2. AC amplifier Module(AC ECU)

what was done to make your car run direct was simply bridging the contacts of your coolant fan relay, which makes the fans cum on anytime your ignition switch is turned on.

Get a rewire to look into your relay connection at the fusebox area(LH) on engine bay.
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by Inception(m): 2:00pm On Feb 10, 2020
Joebas:
Pls help is needed
Fuel consumption is too high in 2000 Toyota Avalon. Scanned it and got 3 codes
Knock sensor bank 1
Knock sensor bank 2
O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (wires were cut during cat replacement)
Stft for both banks is 19.5 on both banks during idle but decreases to 0 as engine is revd up
Ltft is 30.5 for both banks

Note: changed most vacum pipes including the pcv
Help is really needed

your car is running lean. What this means this means is that your ECU is signalling that too little fuel is being combined with too much air, hence it is trying to compensate by adding more fuel.

Check the condition of the following:
1. your in-tank fuel filter( top of my list)
2, Exhaust leaks (at the manifold area)
3. clogged /broken fuel lines /leaks.
4. Evap system
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by radautoworks: 7:35pm On Feb 10, 2020
Mynewdawn15:

Gazzuzz
Radautoworks
Iception

I withdraw from this case because you're not listening.
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by becky39000(m): 1:03pm On Jul 31, 2023
Mynewdawn15:
Good Afternoon All.

Cc

Gazzuzz
Mosbus
Heavenlybang
Kingreignn
Radautoworks

Thanks

Bro faced a similar issue when I got my 07 Camry this may.
I hope you've been able to fuly rectify the issue.

Can I please have your WhatsApp number so we can rub minds?
Iv sent you a mail.
Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption (TOYOTA CAMRY 08 I4) by jceesquare(m): 9:37pm On Aug 01, 2023

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Does Everyone Want Leather Seats So Bad? / My 2003 Corolla Fuel Problem / 2002 Toyota Avensis Needs Conversion From Diesel To Petrol Engine.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.