Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,034 members, 7,814,527 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate (2610 Views)

12 Pictures Nollywood Viewers Can Relate To. / 21 Pictures Nigerian Money Lenders Can Relate To! / Annoying Things You Can Relate To If You Are African (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate by ifeoluwa21: 3:19pm On Feb 07, 2020
Every country has unique traditions as well as slangs, which are spoken throughout the country. In Nigeria, there are slangs unique to secondary schools, university life, and even regions of the country.

Foreigners might have a hard time understanding these slangs and locals might have a hard time explaining them. Here are a few of the slangs unique to Nigeria street life.

1. Ehen!

This exclamation has different interpretations, depending on the context in which it was used. It could mean "I get it", "and so?" "yes", "okay", "continue", "as i was saying", "that reminds me", etc.

2. Jara

Jara is a noun derived from the Yoruba language and it means to add extra or give a freebie after something has already been bought or paid for, at the seller's discretion. E.g. "Please add jara".

3. Osha pra pra

This salutation is used when one is praising another, which is loosely translated to mean "you are dope!". It is mostly used in the street to hail/greet a friend or acquaintance who is passing by.

4. Ajebutter

Ajebutter, ajebo, 'bota' or 'botti', simply refers to one who is born with a silver spoon. It can be loosely translated to mean "bourgeoisie". E.g. "That babe is an ajebutter".

5. Lepa/Orobo

Lepa is a noun that refers to a sexy slim woman. E.g. "That lepa babe is hot". Orobo is loosely the opposite of lepa. It refers to a sexy plump/ thick woman. It can also be used as a derogatory remark.

6. Ashewo

This noun is a slang for sex workers. It can also be a derogatory term.

7. Amebo

This word is used to refer to a person who likes to gossip or spread gossip and cannot be trusted. It can also be used to refer to gossip itself. E.g. "You too like amebo" or "That girl is an amebo".

8. Abi/shey/ba

Abi, shey or ba are slang that act sort of like punctuation. They are mostly used for confirmation after a statement, thereby turning it into a question. They are like the English "right?" E.g. "You are coming for my party, abi/shey/ba?"

9. Over-sabi

This is a noun referring to someone who is a busy-body, or mocking someone who over-performs his/her intelligence/knowledge. E.g. "I did not ask you, over-sabi."

10. Kolo

This verb means to go crazy or mad. This can mean literally or metaphorically depending on the context. E.g. "He don kolo".

You can add yours

1 Like

Re: 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate by Chuks9000: 3:42pm On Feb 07, 2020
1. "Na you sabi"! Meaning that's your business
2. They there... used in a statement spoken to a slacker
3. Fashi... to ignore
4. Before nko? ... kind of affirmation in response to a "silly/obvious" question.
5. Chai! ... exclamation used in showing surprise /excitement or even sadness.
6. Pick/tear race... hurried departure due to fear or anxiety
NB

OP, your no 3 is a yesterday thing and might only be observed by the SW dwellers.
Again, "You are coming for my party...?" is the popular but incorrect way of asking "are you coming for my party?"
"kolo" = run mental (run menter)

1 Like

Re: 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate by ifeoluwa21: 4:09pm On Feb 07, 2020
Noted....thanks bro

1 Like

Re: 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate by Nobody: 1:29am On Feb 09, 2020
Chuks9000:
1. "Na you sabi"! Meaning that's your business
2. They there... used in a statement spoken to a slacker
3. Fashi... to ignore
4. Before nko? ... kind of affirmation in response to a "silly/obvious" question.
5. Chai! ... exclamation used in showing surprise /excitement or even sadness.
6. Pick/tear race... hurried departure due to fear or anxiety
NB

OP, your no 3 is a yesterday thing and might only be observed by the SW dwellers.
Again, "You are coming for my party...?" is the popular but incorrect way of asking "are you coming for my party?"
"kolo" = run mental (run menter)

1 Like

Re: 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate by bob55dave(m): 1:46am On Feb 09, 2020
I have the video

1 Like

Re: 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate by Nobody: 9:17am On Feb 12, 2020
[quote author=Davvy001 post=86495288][/quote]
Can you send me those eket girls pic you deleted from ashawo thread to my mail? I no see am.

1 Like

Re: 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate by ifeoluwa21: 2:27am On Feb 13, 2020
riskybob:

Can you send me those eket girls pic you deleted from ashawo thread to my mail? I no see am.

Which pics
Re: 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate by Nobody: 2:40pm On Feb 13, 2020
riskybob:

WHY?
Re: 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate by Nobody: 11:23am On Feb 14, 2020
Davvy001:
WHY?
Just wan see am pls. Na those type I dey like
Re: 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate by Mudathir08(m): 4:14pm On Feb 14, 2020
"dey your/my dey" - it means minding one's business e.g young man dey ur dey make i dey my dey
"yawa" - it means trouble or problem e.g guy yawa don dey ooo

1 Like

Re: 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate by Nobody: 5:55pm On Feb 14, 2020
riskybob:

Just wan see am pls. Na those type I dey like
what city are you?
Re: 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate by Nobody: 7:18pm On Feb 14, 2020
Davvy001:
what city are you?
Aba. But I can travel just for those kind material if I like am. I replied your PM
Re: 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate by ifeoluwa21: 12:26am On Feb 23, 2020
Mudathir08:
"dey your/my dey" - it means minding one's business e.g young man dey ur dey make i dey my dey
"yawa" - it means trouble or problem e.g guy yawa don dey ooo

I dey tell u grin

(1) (Reply)

Ten Most Expensive April Fool Pranks Of All Time / Regretful Love 4; Short Video / Born Again Sister And Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.