Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,368 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Apple Fined For Slowing Down Old Iphones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Apple Fined For Slowing Down Old Iphones (1160 Views)

Apple Found Guilty Of Slowing Down Old Iphones Forcing Customer To Buy New Ones / Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones / Apple Sued For Slowing Down Older Iphones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apple Fined For Slowing Down Old Iphones by BlackBovi: 7:19am On Feb 08, 2020
That’s very good. I have always suspected this. Have you noticed that old iPhones don’t just work right anymore? When you buy a new iPhone, you will find out the camera is soooo sharp. Once another iPhone comes out, your old iPhone camera quality reduces and the new becomes what was your old iPhone and then you will still be shouting Wow! See the camera. Na lie. Sense no go kill these people. All your problems starts when the new Iphone is released and you are told to update the old iPhone.

Apple has been fined 25 million euros (£21m, $27m) for deliberately slowing down older iPhone models without making it clear to consumers.

The fine was imposed by France's competition and fraud watchdog DGCCRF, which said consumers were not warned.

In 2017, Apple confirmed that it did slow down some iPhones, but said it only did so to "prolong the life" of the devices.

Apple said in a statement that it had resolved the issue with the watchdog.

Why does Apple slow down old iPhones?
Many customers had long suspected that Apple slowed down older iPhones to encourage people to upgrade when a new one was released.

In 2017, the company confirmed it did slow down some models as they aged, but not to encourage people to upgrade.

It said the lithium-ion batteries in the devices became less capable of supplying peak current demands, as they aged over time.

That could result in an iPhone unexpectedly shutting down to protect its electronic components.

So, it released a software update for the iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE which "smoothed out" battery performance.

The practice was confirmed after a customer shared performance tests on Reddit, suggesting their iPhone 6S had slowed down considerably as it had aged, but had suddenly speeded up again after the battery had been replaced.

What did the regulator say?
The French watchdog said iPhone owners "were not informed that installing iOS updates (10.2.1 and 11.2) could slow down their devices".

As part of the agreement, Apple must display a notice on its French-language website for a month.

It says Apple "committed the crime of deceptive commercial practice by omission" and had agreed to pay the fine.

Does Apple still slow down older iPhones?
Yes. Since Apple confirmed the practice in 2017, it has implemented it on several more iPhones including:

iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus
iPhone SE
iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
iPhone 8 and 8 Plus running iOS 12.1 or higher
iPhone X running iOS 12.1 or higher
iPhone XS, XS Max and XR running iOS 13.1 or higher
The setting is only enabled when the battery begins to degrade, and iOS now offers clearer information to consumers about when performance management has been switched on.

"The effects of performance management on these newer models may be less noticeable due to their more advanced hardware and software design," Apple said.

Sorce: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51413724

cc; lalasticlala

Re: Apple Fined For Slowing Down Old Iphones by BlackBovi: 7:19am On Feb 08, 2020
Serves them Right

While i enjoy my Android Phone
Re: Apple Fined For Slowing Down Old Iphones by Goalnaldo(m): 7:31am On Feb 08, 2020
I noticed it too. I remember a friend of mine using my phone to take pictures in the night instead of his iPhone 7. But what about tecno? Do they do that too?
Re: Apple Fined For Slowing Down Old Iphones by Realtord43: 7:56am On Feb 08, 2020
Samsung still the best! does that mean itel slow down their phone?undecided
Re: Apple Fined For Slowing Down Old Iphones by dawnomike(m): 8:05am On Feb 08, 2020
This is really interesting...
Re: Apple Fined For Slowing Down Old Iphones by TechCapon(m): 3:48pm On Feb 08, 2020
Other phone makers do it as well.
Re: Apple Fined For Slowing Down Old Iphones by bravesoul247(m): 11:39pm On Feb 08, 2020
Goalnaldo:
I noticed it too. I remember a friend of mine using my phone to take pictures in the night instead of his iPhone 7. But what about tecno? Do they do that too?
Do tecno do what?
Re: Apple Fined For Slowing Down Old Iphones by seunfly: 7:25am On Feb 09, 2020
What do u expect when people's brain has been replaced with foam, they are just plain stupid and will claim loyal. The worst is thinking yours is the best just because it is more expensive yet.

(1) (Reply)

Infinix S5 Pro With 48MP And A Pop-up Camera Goes Official: Price Is 50k / Which Is Best Among The Redmi 9 Line Ups / I Need Iphone 7plus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.