Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,300 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers (37431 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by googi: 3:11pm On Feb 19, 2020
As I feel sorry for many here, I feel sorry for my Country and my Continent.

See, make una see interpretations to rationalize, to make money on others, even using USA professionals stat to justify the folly of Brexit and how they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Africans! How many times and how else are they going to tell you that you are not wanted? Poor Europeans willing to do any jobs are waiting.

You messed up your own countries, now you want to mess up theirs. Trump told you he wants immigrants from Norway, ok.

What percentage of your highly educated Africans are employed in their professions abroad?

What percentage of highly educated Africans from their universities are employed in their professions?

What percentage of AA, European Africans, West Indians or South Americans are?

Stop beating your chests, Asians are better educated than African or Nigerian immigrants and they head some 500 Fortune Companies. How many Nigerians do?

Check the right stat. They say you bred like rats and they are scared that you are going to overwhelm them and become the new majority! Are you deaf or chose to be deaf?

If they violently demonstrate and tell: Jews Will Not Replace Us: why would they want you when they can easily exploit you right there at home and make any of you that has the opportunity to loot,

Launder your Foreign Reserves into their countries at the risk of being jailed.

Africans think!

Go on fight each other to death instead of developing your villages, towns, cities and countries.

3 Likes

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by sunshineV(f): 3:21pm On Feb 19, 2020
Xclusiveme:

Lol march 8th
Gbayi
Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by Penboy: 3:38pm On Feb 19, 2020
Obiaksnews:
And yet when most of them graduate they start thinking of moving overseas, thereby cheating the Nigeria who subsided their education to go service foreigners who didn't pay a dime for their education.

Note : I don't blame anybody who wishes to move abroad to seek for greener pastures, Nigeria needs to put it's house in order.

Hmm.. True talk.
Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by nedekid: 3:48pm On Feb 19, 2020

5 Likes

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by RaptorX: 4:18pm On Feb 19, 2020
uvie66:
yes you are right, the only difference is that UK have constant light, well developed train system, clean Streets, constant running water, free broadband, minimal Kidnapping and armed robbery, very robust women and employment rights and no ballot snatching during elections.... this is however not an exhaustive list...and also majority have 2 children on the average not like some politicians who have four wives and 24 children and also we have to exchange our 450 naira for UK £1, so the recent minimum wage of 30k naira equates to about £80, So apart from all these differences listed above UK is the same as Nigeria when considering living standard.
Keep on deceiving yourself, I doubt if you have ever visited the UK.

1 Like

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by Legendguru: 4:32pm On Feb 19, 2020
Just say no visa again
Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by salford: 4:33pm On Feb 19, 2020
Baroba:
Priti Patel - Home secretary with Indian ancestry.She is about to flood UK with "high skilled" Indian doctors and IT experts.. grin

That's her target, if you know Indians you shouldn't be surprised with this new policy..
Not suprised one bit. just get an Indian director or manager in an organization, before you say jack, all the new hires in their departments would be indians, and not just Indians but Indians from his region from back home.

The company I work for has like 2 floors that are filled with Indian workers. If you guessed the country the manager and the directors are from, then you guessed correctly. if you know about Indian names and tribes, you can also tell they are from the same region in India. Sometimes, I wonder how they manage to pass IELTS, but it's India, they do alot of runs in their country. This is in Canada though.

However, most immigrants to benefit will be Indians and Chinese due to their population not because a "Patel" is in charge of immigration.

2 Likes

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by uvie66: 4:36pm On Feb 19, 2020
RaptorX:
I live in London and have two houses in Lagos, this enables me to visit Nigeria every summer.

4 Likes

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by uvie66: 4:38pm On Feb 19, 2020
RaptorX:
l live in N18 2UG just off the A406

4 Likes

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by winterfell007(m): 5:02pm On Feb 19, 2020
SocialFinance:
Calculating the point, 70 is a must

People wanting to come to the UK from outside the EU will find rules are being relaxed, such as scrapping the cap on skilled workers or the drop in minimum salary.
But for EU migrants who are used to moving freely between Britain and the continent, the new regime will be something of a shock.
Visitors can come for six months without a visa, but they won't be able to work, those with skills must have a job offer and clear the 70 points hurdle, and there'll be no work permits for migrants prepared to do menial jobs in restaurants, hotels, care homes and food processing plants.
There is some flexibility in the new structure. But the question is, will it be enough to prevent labour shortages and companies taking their business elsewhere?
Under the new plan, all migrants will only be entitled to access income-related benefits until after indefinite leave to remain is granted, usually after five years.
Currently, EU nationals in the UK can claim benefits if they are "economically active". Non-EU citizens become eligible for benefits when they are granted permanent residence, which usually requires five years of living legally in the UK.
Following recommendations from the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC), the salary threshold for skilled workers wanting to come to the UK would be lowered from £30,000 to £25,600.
The independent advisory body argued that lowering the threshold would help recruit teachers and skilled NHS staff.

Unlike the current system, applicants would also be able to trade points.
Those earning less than £25,600, but more than £20,480, could still apply for visas if they had a job in a "specific shortage occupation" or a PhD relevant to the job.
A list of shortage occupations would be kept under review by the MAC, the government said.
Jobs currently on the MAC's Shortage Occupation List include civil engineers, medical practitioners, nurses, psychologists and classical ballet dancers.
Shadow home secretary Diane Abbott said the salary threshold system would "need to have so many exemptions, for the NHS, for social care and many parts of the private sector, that it will be meaningless".
She added: "Ultimately, it will also be very difficult to attract the workers we need at all skill levels while the Tories' hostile environment is in place. It needs to go."
Proposed points system
Mandatory requirements Points
Job offer from approved sponsor 20
Job at appropriate skill level 20
English at required level 10
Points for salary Points
£20,480 – £23,039 0
£23,040 – £25,599 10
£25,600 or above 20
Additional points Points
Job in a shortage occupation 20
PhD in subject relevant to the job 10
PhD in relevant STEM subject 20
Under the new plan, there would no longer be an overall cap on the number of skilled workers who could come into the UK - one of the areas praised by the CBI.
Following recommendations from MAC, the definition of skilled workers would also be expanded to include those educated at A-level, not just at graduate level, as was previously the case.
But waiting staff roles would be removed from the list of skilled occupations, while new additions would include carpenters, plasterers and childminders.
To study in the UK, overseas students would need the offer of a place at an educational institution, have to know English, and be able to show they can support themselves.
Changes to the system would be implemented through an immigration bill needing approval from MPs and peers to come into force.
Shadow immigration minister Bell Ribeiro-Addy told the BBC's Newsnight: "I feel like people have been duped a bit. We were told this was an Australian style points-based system.
"The Australian system is meant to encourage migration across sectors. I know that they don't want to do that, but why are you calling it one thing when it's another?"
Liberal Democrat home affairs spokeswoman Christine Jardine said the proposals were based on "xenophobia".
Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by winterfell007(m): 5:04pm On Feb 19, 2020
SocialFinance:
Calculating the point, 70 is a must

People wanting to come to the UK from outside the EU will find rules are being relaxed, such as scrapping the cap on skilled workers or the drop in minimum salary.
But for EU migrants who are used to moving freely between Britain and the continent, the new regime will be something of a shock.
Visitors can come for six months without a visa, but they won't be able to work, those with skills must have a job offer and clear the 70 points hurdle, and there'll be no work permits for migrants prepared to do menial jobs in restaurants, hotels, care homes and food processing plants.
There is some flexibility in the new structure. But the question is, will it be enough to prevent labour shortages and companies taking their business elsewhere?
Under the new plan, all migrants will only be entitled to access income-related benefits until after indefinite leave to remain is granted, usually after five years.
Currently, EU nationals in the UK can claim benefits if they are "economically active". Non-EU citizens become eligible for benefits when they are granted permanent residence, which usually requires five years of living legally in the UK.
Following recommendations from the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC), the salary threshold for skilled workers wanting to come to the UK would be lowered from £30,000 to £25,600.
The independent advisory body argued that lowering the threshold would help recruit teachers and skilled NHS staff.

Those earning less than £25,600, but more than £20,480, could still apply for visas if they had a job in a "specific shortage occupation" or a PhD relevant to the job.
A list of shortage occupations would be kept under review by the MAC, the government said.
Jobs currently on the MAC's Shortage Occupation List include civil engineers, medical practitioners, nurses, psychologists and classical ballet dancers.
Shadow home secretary Diane Abbott said the salary threshold system would "need to have so many exemptions, for the NHS, for social care and many parts of the private sector, that it will be meaningless".
She added: "Ultimately, it will also be very difficult to attract the workers we need at all skill levels while the Tories' hostile environment is in place. It needs to go."
Proposed points system
Points for salary Points
£20,480 – £23,039 0
£23,040 – £25,599 10
£25,600 or above 20
Additional points Points
Under the new plan, there would no longer be an overall cap on the number of skilled workers who could come into the UK - one of the areas praised by the CBI.
Following recommendations from MAC, the definition of skilled workers would also be expanded to include those educated at A-level, not just at graduate level, as was previously the case.
But waiting staff roles would be removed from the list of skilled occupations, while new additions would include carpenters, plasterers and childminders.
To study in the UK, overseas students would need the offer of a place at an educational institution, have to know English, and be able to show they can support themselves.
Changes to the system would be implemented through an immigration bill needing approval from MPs and peers to come into force.
Shadow immigration minister Bell Ribeiro-Addy told the BBC's Newsnight: "I feel like people have been duped a bit. We were told this was an Australian style points-based system.
"The Australian system is meant to encourage migration across sectors. I know that they don't want to do that, but why are you calling it one thing when it's another?"
Liberal Democrat home affairs spokeswoman Christine Jardine said the proposals were based on "xenophobia".

The bolded is what I'm really against. The UK is really turning out to be a very crafty nation. They want the best both want to pay less for it. Ndi wayo!!!!

1 Like

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by KerekereOgun: 5:16pm On Feb 19, 2020
[s]
SangoOlukosoOba:

Funny but true!

Lekki Phase 2
[/s]
Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by chewwie(m): 8:27pm On Feb 19, 2020
SocialFinance:
Rebecca May, really messed up UK economy by locking Africans out of the country. UK economy in 2019 ended up flat @ 0%

Even this policy is still seriously flawed. Low income earners from Africa remain the oil needed to help UK economy recovery.

Ekpa! Firstly, she's Theresa May. Secondly, what do low-skilled immigrants add to a country's economy? They only provide cheap labour for big corporations, stagnate wages, and not pay taxes.
Why haven't "low income earners from Africa" helped Africa?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by chewwie(m): 8:29pm On Feb 19, 2020
winterfell007:

The bolded is what I'm really against. The UK is really turning out to be a very crafty nation. They want the best both want to pay less for it. Ndi wayo!!!!
I take that you don't know how to read or that you do know how to read but lack simple comprehension skills. Read the emboldened part again.
Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by Swallowurspit(m): 8:34pm On Feb 19, 2020
Obiaksnews:
And yet when most of them graduate they start thinking of moving overseas, thereby cheating Nigeria who subsided their education to go service foreigners who didn't pay a dime for their education.

Note : I don't blame anybody who wishes to move abroad to seek for greener pastures, Nigeria needs to put it's house in order.

It's not everyone who traveled abroad that had it in their initial plan. I know a graduate that worked for a Lebanese oil and gas servicing company for a salary of 35k naira. Meanwhile the company rakes in over 500mil every month after all expenses. He couldn't even rent a house so he had to just ja paa for greener pastures.

1 Like

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by missnigeria: 9:17pm On Feb 19, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by Farki: 10:46pm On Feb 19, 2020
frosbel2:
My people let us DEVELOP Nigeria.

Enticing our best brains to develop their own countries while Nigeria continues to be a shit hole is what we call MODERN SLAVERY.

God help us activate our BRAINS and get a freaking VISION !!!

In every area, sports, science, business you see Nigerian born or Nigerian descended people excelling for other countries.

That's because we don't treat ourselves well in this country, what we are meant to concentrate on we abandon and concentrate on frivolities, ethnic and religious differences and political affiliation.

The so called leaders have even abandoned their country for foreign schools and hospitals.

In the end nothing is done, even some foreigners who want to invest are turned away after years of trying.
Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by delerx(m): 10:57pm On Feb 19, 2020
Bro pls advice. I am a Pharmacist and my wife just gained admission to a Scotland University for her masters and would be going with her as a dependent spouse. Does this new policy affects it? What advice can you give me because we have a yr old baby. Can UK be trusted?Though I have made up my mind to try EU countries if staying in UK won't be favourable.quote author=SocialFinance post=8671174]Calculating the point, 70 is a must

Proposed points system
Points for salary Points
£20,480 – £23,039 0
£23,040 – £25,599 10
£25,600 or above 20
Additional points Points
Liberal Democrat home affairs spokeswoman Christine Jardine said the proposals were based on "xenophobia".[/quote]
Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by juliusijidola: 11:07pm On Feb 19, 2020
modath:
lipsrsealed
I'm here
Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by wowo2: 11:19pm On Feb 19, 2020
From the few comments I have read, it appears some people may be misinterpreting this new policy. Especially the employer part of the conditions which implies that you must already have a job offer with a minimum salary before you can be granted entry.

Tier 2 Work Visa which is similar to the policy already exists. This new one appears to target non skilled people coming to work in the UK from EU countries that pre brexit, can migrate to the UK unhindered.

Some years ago, the UK had work permits that did not require you to have a job offer before applying for entry visa. They cancelled it due to many reasons - amongst which is the fact that even though it was meant for highly skilled immigrants, they realized many on the visa were working non skilled jobs.
Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by CSTR2: 1:16am On Feb 20, 2020
The UK is about to suck the best of Nigeria with a straw especially what is remaining of our health sector.

Buhari should be declaring a state of emergency right now, but who am I kidding.

Baba is not intelligent to think that deep.

3 Likes

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by Obiaksnews: 8:16am On Feb 20, 2020
I am not disputing that with you, that's why i said Nigeria needs to fix up, i am only highlighting the damage being down to Nigeria when our best brains keep going abroad. I did a lil research a while ago and this is what i found. It takes up to $150,000 to $200,000 to train a medical doctor in USA, now convert that to naira you would know how much that is and then compare how much is used to train a doctor here in Nigeria, you would discover that the Nigerian govt does a lot to subsidize the fees of Nigerian students who attend public universities. In my 200L in uniben back in 2011 i paid N8000 as school fees.
Swallowurspit:

It's not everyone who traveled abroad that had it in their initial plan. I know a graduate that worked for a Lebanese oil and gas servicing company for a salary of 35k naira. Meanwhile the company rakes in over 500mil every month after all expenses. He couldn't even rent a house so he had to just ja paa for greener pastures.

3 Likes

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by Nobody: 11:31am On Feb 20, 2020
delerx:
Bro pls advice. I am a Pharmacist and my wife just gained admission to a Scotland University for her masters and would be going with her as a dependent spouse. Does this new policy affects it? What advice can you give me because we have a yr old baby. Can UK be trusted?Though I have made up my mind to try EU countries if staying in UK won't be favourable.quote author=SocialFinance post=8671174]Calculating the point, 70 is a must
".

Have they given you the dependent visa?? First try and get that visa first...uk Dey craze oooo..

they know how to deny dependent visa especially for one year masters.. they know U guys won’t likely come back.....

1 Like

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by Swallowurspit(m): 6:20pm On Feb 20, 2020
Obiaksnews:
I am not disputing that with you, that's why i said Nigeria needs to fix up, i am only highlighting the damage being down to Nigeria when our best brains keep going abroad. I did a lil research a while ago and this is what i found. It takes up to $150,000 to $200,000 to train a medical doctor in USA, now convert that to naira you would know how much that is and then compare how much is used to train a doctor here in Nigeria, you would discover that the Nigerian govt does a lot to subsidize the fees of Nigerian students who attend public universities. In my 200L in uniben back in 2011 i paid N8000 as school fees.

Sure you're right about the education subsidy and the brain drain also. In as much as we desire for Nigeria to fix up as we've been hopeful for decades, but my brother, it appears to be a wild goose chase. But as an average Naija we are still hopeful.
Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by delerx(m): 7:59pm On Feb 20, 2020
It's à 2yr program. She can't study without going with our baby. If I get it what are my chances[qquote author=1StopRudeness post=86807206]

Have they given you the dependent visa?? First try and get that visa first...uk Dey craze oooo..

they know how to deny dependent visa especially for one year masters.. they know U guys won’t likely come back.....
[/quote]
Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by Bright12660(m): 9:08pm On Feb 20, 2020
SocialFinance:
The 20,000 visa allocated to young ppl have been largely unused by Nigeria youths especially the undergraduates.

This is another to prepare yourself for easy migration to UK after graduation.

I hope our youth will start using this opportunity. if you require further information about this, just quote me and ask, I will try to answer.
How oga

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by Nobody: 7:03am On Feb 21, 2020
delerx:
It's à 2yr program. She can't study without going with our baby. If I get it what are my chances[qquote author=1StopRudeness post=86807206]

Meaning you guys have approximately 4years i.e with the new 2years extra after grad....as a Pharamacist u might have a chance. U need to really work extra since u won’t be restricted like ur wife to 20hrs per week work duration.
Use the extra money to get some health professional course that my grant u access to their health jobs...when U get there ask those in the field what short course is selling....with some luck and favour... u’ll get settled...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by delerx(m): 10:15am On Feb 21, 2020
Thanks bro. I really appreciate
1StopRudeness:

Meaning you guys have approximately 4years i.e with the new 2years extra after grad....as a Pharamacist u might have a chance. U need to really work extra since u won’t be restricted like ur wife to 20hrs per week work duration.
Use the extra money to get some health professional course that my grant u access to their health jobs...when U get there ask those in the field what short course is selling....with some luck and favour... u’ll get settled...
Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by AngelicBeing: 9:05am On Feb 22, 2020
sassysure:

Posted a private info for u to read. Hope u did so as I have deleted it.
No wonder, u were scarce with your koboko cheesy kiss
We are fine. Thanks a lot for asking.

Hope u are cool?
No l didn't see the information, can you repost it if you not don't mind, ignore the witches online, I have been pretty busy and have few hours on Nairaland, glad to hear you are fine cool
Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by Nobody: 9:30am On Feb 22, 2020
AngelicBeing:
No l didn't see the information, can you repost it if you not don't mind, ignore the witches online, I have been pretty busy and have few hours on Nairaland, glad to hear you are fine cool
Naaaaa tongue
Will tell u that again as the spirit leads grin.

This place keeps me highly entertained( it's the only social media I use anyway) i must say as i view it differently now from the way i used to when i started using it.
Re: Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers by AngelicBeing: 12:14pm On Feb 22, 2020
sassysure:

Naaaaa tongue
Will tell u that again as the spirit leads grin.

This place keeps me highly entertained( it's the only social media I use anyway) i must say as i view it differently now from the way i used to when i started using it.
Hian, ok then, fingers crossed till when the spirit leads you tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

20 Million Naira Or Green Card: Which Would You Choose? / Ada, A Victim Of The Umuahia-Okigwe Road Accident / Motorcyclists Smuggle People Across Ogun/Oyo, With N100 Bribe - Politics Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.