Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,985 members, 7,821,431 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Poking Holes In Naturalism. Is Man A Rational Being? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Poking Holes In Naturalism. Is Man A Rational Being? (410 Views)

God Is Well-suited For A Rational Explanation For Creation / Islamic Hadiths Have "Holes In The Narratives " / Is Man's Destiny In Gods Hands Or Is It Man That Shapes His Own Destiny? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poking Holes In Naturalism. Is Man A Rational Being? by Joshthefirst(m): 9:20pm On Feb 26, 2020
IS MAN RATIONAL?

The evolutionary biologist, argues that mans moral reasoning is only as a result of in built mind mechanisms and social adaptations meant to further the survival and reproduction of the human species, i.e our reasoning in the end is NOT to arrive at any objective truth.

Although most atheists on this forum will agree to this thinking, and have even recently alluded to it in one of my recent topics on the nature of morality (cc Hahn, LordReed, budaatum, JeromeBlack, etc), it is ultimately flawed, and completely so.

The only way to explain rationality in the universe is if a rational God put it in.
Re: Poking Holes In Naturalism. Is Man A Rational Being? by LordReed(m): 10:34pm On Feb 26, 2020
Only way? When you can't even show the existence of this god? What a joke.
Re: Poking Holes In Naturalism. Is Man A Rational Being? by Joshthefirst(m): 7:00am On Feb 27, 2020
The Irony is that these naturalists and evolutionary biologists exclude themselves from blind moral reasoning and in-built survival thinking when arriving at what they consider to be the "truth" that man isn’t rational. Unfortunate.

Edited.
Re: Poking Holes In Naturalism. Is Man A Rational Being? by LordReed(m): 7:59am On Feb 27, 2020
Joshthefirst:
The Irony is that these naturalists and evolutionary biologists exclude themselves from blind moral reasoning and in-built survival thinking when arriving at what they consider to be the truth. That man isn’t rational. Unfortunate.

What is the meaning of this word salad? Did you just make shit up because it sounds educated?

1 Like

Re: Poking Holes In Naturalism. Is Man A Rational Being? by hahn(m): 10:25am On Feb 27, 2020
Joshthefirst:
IS MAN RATIONAL?

The evolutionary biologist, argues that mans moral reasoning is only as a result of in built mind mechanisms and social adaptations meant to further the survival and reproduction of the human species, i.e our reasoning in the end is NOT to arrive at any objective truth.

Although most atheists on this forum will agree to this thinking, and have even recently alluded to it in one of my recent topics on the nature of morality (cc Hahn, LordReed, budaatum, JeromeBlack, etc), it is ultimately flawed, and completely so.

The only way to explain rationality in the universe is if a rational God put it in.

Because?

Continue with your argument abi na there e finish?
Re: Poking Holes In Naturalism. Is Man A Rational Being? by Joshthefirst(m): 11:42am On Feb 27, 2020
hahn:

Because?

Continue with your argument abi na there e finish?
I bin Dey wait for you to come nau.

And it’s because the naturalist somehow excludes his reasoning when he makes the conclusion on rationality.
That is, human beings and human moral reasoning are not really rational, except when I’m making this conclusion on the nature of human reasoning.

Edited
Re: Poking Holes In Naturalism. Is Man A Rational Being? by Joshthefirst(m): 11:43am On Feb 27, 2020
LordReed:

What is the meaning of this word salad? Did you just make shit up because it sounds educated?
Maybe you simply didn’t understand what I said?

1 Like

Re: Poking Holes In Naturalism. Is Man A Rational Being? by LordReed(m): 11:45am On Feb 27, 2020
Joshthefirst:

That much is clear.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poking Holes In Naturalism. Is Man A Rational Being? by hahn(m): 12:27pm On Feb 27, 2020
Joshthefirst:
I bin Dey wait for you to come nau.

And it’s because the natural somehow excludes his reasoning when he makes the conclusion on rationality.
That is, human beings and human moral reasoning are not really rational, except when I’m making this conclusion on the nature of human reasoning.

So what are they if not rational?
Re: Poking Holes In Naturalism. Is Man A Rational Being? by Joshthefirst(m): 2:11pm On Feb 27, 2020
hahn:

So what are they if not rational?
My point is that you cannot conclude that human reasoning is not rational but geared towards survival and reproduction, and exclude the very reasoning that had you arrive at that very conclusion.
Re: Poking Holes In Naturalism. Is Man A Rational Being? by budaatum: 2:16pm On Feb 27, 2020
LordReed:

I was going to ask the same thing, my Lord! It sounded irrational to me.

Joshthefirst, could you post a definition of "Rational" please, so we know you know what you talk about.

1 Like

Re: Poking Holes In Naturalism. Is Man A Rational Being? by hahn(m): 2:18pm On Feb 27, 2020
Joshthefirst:
My point is that you cannot conclude that human reasoning is not rational but geared towards survival and reproduction, and exclude the very reasoning that had you arrive at that very conclusion.

And what reason is that?

And where did you get that argument from?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poking Holes In Naturalism. Is Man A Rational Being? by budaatum: 2:21pm On Feb 27, 2020
Joshthefirst:
Apaet from your claim that God makes humans rational, no, I don't understand what you are saying.

God gives humans arms and legs, I can understand, since just about all humans have arms and legs, but that God gives humans rational, I can't accept for the simple fact that not all humans are rational.

You make me want to ask, what criteria do you think God uses in distributing rationalism to the humans God gives it to, in your opinion?

(1) (Reply)

When Grace Is Made Available / How Gullible Are These People? / Israeli Names That Came From Ancient Egypt But Are Found In Modern English

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.