Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,416 members, 7,815,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus (51960 Views)

Coronavirus: Parents Abandon Kids At China Airport / Coronavirus: Snakes The Likely Cause Of Deadly Chinese Virus / Protect Yourself Against Lassa Fever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by ochejoseph(m): 11:22am On Feb 28, 2020
What Is Coronaviruse?
Coronaviruses are types of viruses that typically affect the respiratory tracts of birds and mammals, including humans. Doctors associate them with the common cold, bronchitis, pneumonia, and severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), and they can also affect the gut. The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared a global health emergency over a new coronavirus, which causes an illness officially known as COVID-19 that has killed more than 2,800 people worldwide.

How Do People Get Infected?

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) is most often spread from person to person via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. A person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it . People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic . Most people who become infected experience mild illness and recover, but it can be more severe for others. Take care of your health and protect others by doing the following:

10 Simple Ways To Protect Yourself and Family From Coronavirus

The World Health organization and other health agencies recommend some basic protective measures against the new coronavirus which include:
1. Washing your hands frequently
Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.

Why? Washing your hands with soap and water or using alcohol-based hand rub kills viruses that may be on your hands.

2. Maintain social distancing
Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.

Why? When someone coughs or sneezes they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth which may contain virus. If you are too close, you can breathe in the droplets, including the COVID-19 virus if the person coughing has the disease.

3. Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth

Why? [/b]Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. Once contaminated, hands can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth. From there, the virus can enter your body and can make you sick.

4. Practice respiratory hygiene
Make sure you, and the people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene. This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately. A face mask will provide an additional layer of protection especially in public.

[b]Why?
Droplets spread virus. By following good respiratory hygiene you protect the people around you from viruses such as cold, flu and COVID-19.

5. If you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical care early Stay home if you feel unwell. If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention and call in advance. Follow the directions of your local health authority.

Why? National and local authorities will have the most up to date information on the situation in your area. Calling in advance will allow your health care provider to quickly direct you to the right health facility. This will also protect you and help prevent spread of viruses and other infections.

6. Stay informed and follow advice given by your healthcare provider
Stay informed on the latest developments about COVID-19. Follow advice given by your healthcare provider, your national and local public health authority or your employer on how to protect yourself and others from COVID-19.

Why? National and local authorities will have the most up to date information on whether COVID-19 is spreading in your area. They are best placed to advise on what people in your area should be doing to protect themselves.
Protection measures for persons who are in or have recently visited (past 14 days) areas where COVID-19 is spreading

7. Stay at home if you begin to feel unwell, even with mild symptoms such as headache and slight runny nose, until you recover.

Why? Avoiding contact with others and visits to medical facilities will allow these facilities to operate more effectively and help protect you and others from possible COVID-19 and other viruses.

8. If you develop fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical advice promptly as this may be due to a respiratory infection or other serious condition. Call in advance and tell your provider of any recent travel or contact with travelers.

Why? Calling in advance will allow your health care provider to quickly direct you to the right health facility. This will also help to prevent possible spread of COVID-19 and other viruses.

9. Avoid panic and ignore text, Whatsapp messages or social media post promoting uncertified local concoctions as remedy, cure or prevention for corona virus.

Why? Such messages and broadcast have been shown to kill more people than the virus itself as witnessed in Nigeria during the Ebola salt and water hoax.

10. As much as possible avoid parties, crowded religious, ceremonial and official gathering especially in areas with confirmed cases also take additional measures to protect babies and children.

Why? An infected South Korea woman who went to church was responsible for the corona Carnage in the country . The so-called superspreader infected at least 37 people at her church with the new coronavirus, and dozens of additional worshippers are also showing symptoms of the disease. The 61-year-old woman attends the Shincheonji Church of Jesus the Temple of the Tabernacle of the Testimony in Daegu, South Korea, according to the international news outlet AFP. The city, located in the southern part of the country, is home to about 2.5 million people. The woman, called "Patient 31" by Korea's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, developed a fever on Feb. 10 and attended four church services before being diagnosed with COVID-19.

Written By Oche Joseph Otorkpa (Executive Director Public Health Nigeria and Fellow of the Royal Society for Public Health UK)

SOURCE: https://www.publichealth.com.ng/10-simple-ways-to-protect-yourself-and-family-from-coronavirus/

24 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Tobimillar1(m): 12:16pm On Feb 28, 2020
Nigeria is safe. The virus is just like the flu season here . It affects mostly the elderly and immunocompromised .. I never got the flu shot and I once had the flu last year and it was just like normal catarrh and cough .. same flu that killed thousands here in the US last year . I think this particular covid-19 has an affinity for the Asian gene. The US has had 53 cases yet to single death . Same with Canada . Most of those who died are Chinese, Iran’s and Koreans . So you guys should just relax .. Ebola is for Africans , flu for Americans , sars and convid-19 for Asians . I strongly believe there is a conspiracy theory to these virus .: still wondering why no single recorded death here in the US plus Canada .. what did they do differently?

Caveat : don’t take my word for anything oo, I am not a doctor

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Sunnycliff(m): 12:16pm On Feb 28, 2020
This is serious
Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Wanity(m): 12:16pm On Feb 28, 2020
May God save Nigeria and Biafra from this pandemic

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Simplebeauty: 12:16pm On Feb 28, 2020
grin

OP, thanks for sharing!!

3 Likes

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Kreamie(m): 12:17pm On Feb 28, 2020
1. Many countries like UK are currently in containment phase. But likely at some point infection will start spreading via local transmission. At that point, top priority is to slow the spread, and what we do as individuals and communities will be critical.

2. Fortunately risk of serious illness is low, especially for children. But risk is higher for elderly and people with existing health conditions. Everything we can do to slow the spread will help protect people at higher risk, and less people overall will get infected.

3. There are practical things everyone can do to reduce the risk of getting infected. These need practice, so start doing them now. You may still get infected, but it is worth really trying to avoid infection, because the more we slow spread the better. Slow the spread, buy time.

4. Stop touching your face. Especially stop touching your eyes, nose or mouth. This is much much harder than it sounds, and takes practice. But if you start practising now, you will quickly get a lot better at it.

5. Wash your hands often. Wash with soap and water for 20 seconds, or rub hands with alcohol hand gel. Especially wash hands before eating or touching food.

6. If you or a friend or family member takes any prescription medication, make sure you have a good supply, e.g., at least 4 weeks worth.

7. Don't panic buy enough food to survive a zombie apocalypse. But do buy a few extra provisions. Do it a bit at a time, add a few extra things in when you normally go shopping. Have 2 weeks worth of provisions, including some chocolate or other treats. Don't forget about pets.

8. When local transmission does start, keep your distance from people, at least 2 metres. Especially people showing symptoms, but some people may carry the virus and transmit without symptoms, so generally keep some distance where you can. Stop shaking hands etc.

9. While a mask seems like a good idea, it can give a false sense of security. There isn’t a lot of good evidence that shows a mask to reliably prevent infection when worn by the public. But they are useful to put on a sick person to reduce their spreading of the virus.

10. If you or a loved one becomes sick, follow the practices of the day. Call ahead before going to a Doctor, fever clinic or hospital and get advice on what to do. Think through now how to take care of sick family members while trying not to get infected.

11. Talk things through with friends and family. Be prepared that some people will be very willing to talk about it, others may be reluctant or frightened. But general advice is that it's a good way to prepare emotionally for life not as usual.

12. Unfortunately it doesn't look like this will be over quickly. The new coronavirus may be with us into next year. It might even become a seasonal infection, returning each winter. This is probably going to be a marathon, not a sprint.

13. If you end up stuck at home for a couple of weeks, don't forget about skype/facetime/google hangouts/etc., a great way to catch up, check in and hang out with friends and family.

14. If you manage a business or organisation, cross-train key staff at work so one person’s absence won’t derail our organisation’s ability to function.

15. 15. If you know someone who works in healthcare, reach out and say hi, and thank you.

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by NextD18: 12:17pm On Feb 28, 2020
This rubbish you posted can't prevent you from catching it!

Just pray someone isn't victimized in your area.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Kingpele(m): 12:17pm On Feb 28, 2020
shocked this is no joke my people, we should all be careful to protect yourself and others, do as you were told, don't take it for granted but don't panic about it... Just be careful, it shall end in praise

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by AlhajiImam: 12:17pm On Feb 28, 2020
As a Muslim, I believe in the protection of Allah. I don't need to be afraid whatsoever

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by goldtube(m): 12:17pm On Feb 28, 2020
Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Kylekent59: 12:17pm On Feb 28, 2020
What's all these hypes about the damn disease?

Must the whole world know that Nigeria now has a case and it's not even a Nigerian, but an Italian.

COVID_19 has come and would go just like others.

Nigerians like exaggerating things.

You people should go and enjoy and leave the minister of health to do his work.

I laugh when people cover their nose with mask on the road, but open it back while at home.

Remember your kids in school, friends, GF,BF, relatives, customers ain't being careful just as you are, so why killing yourselves.

The best thing now is to educate people about the virus and how to stay healthy.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by FuckThaMod: 12:17pm On Feb 28, 2020
Chai! My good lord... Everyone around me has been coughing today, i have it already, i know i do.. Especially when the owoda conductor sneezed in my face this morning. I'm still young, I'm yet to marry, i don't want to die! Oh noooooooooo cry

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Renforce: 12:17pm On Feb 28, 2020
Nawa o
Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by melojo: 12:17pm On Feb 28, 2020
May God continue to save us
Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Fountainofyouth(f): 12:18pm On Feb 28, 2020
Our MD told us he would be coming to the country this week, he did not tell us where he is coming from or the day he came back, I was told he is coming to work today, luckily today is casual Friday, I decided to wear a long Jalabia complete with socks and gloves to match, lemon colour, used part of the head gear to cover my nose, everyone has been avoiding his office, most are greeting him from afar, and guyman hasnt even notice.....yet grin

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by masterP042(m): 12:18pm On Feb 28, 2020
angry
We might as well start saying our goodbyes. It was a great knowing you guys and nairaland.
Brace for impact
Rip Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Osasnidas(m): 12:18pm On Feb 28, 2020
It still has less than 5% fatality rate with SARS having less than 11%... Everyone shouldn't panic... Read news from credible sources and don't cause people to Panic...

May God help us...

3 Likes

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Freestyl(m): 12:18pm On Feb 28, 2020
May God help us all

2 Likes

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Tunex252(m): 12:18pm On Feb 28, 2020
Even with all this, if Coronavirus won catch u, e go still ca catch u

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by money121(m): 12:18pm On Feb 28, 2020
Ok

_Here is a special du'aa by our Noble Prophet Muhammad sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam:_

عن أنس رضي الله عنه ، أن النبي ﷺ كان يقول *اللهم إني أعوذ بك من البرَص والجنون والجُذام ، ومن سيء الأسقام*

*Transliteration:* _Allahumma innee a'uudhu bika minal barasi wal junuuni wal judhaam, wa min sayyi'il asqaam_

The Prophet (ﷺ) used to say: *"O Allah, I seek refuge in Thee from leprosy, madness, elephantiasis, and evil diseases."* May Allah protect us all.
[رواه أبو داود]

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by NigerianMan: 12:18pm On Feb 28, 2020
angry
Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Olukologia24592(m): 12:18pm On Feb 28, 2020
I bet you that this thing isn't in Nigeria. When Nigerian government hears if any virus, they capitalize on it to get enough money by releasing cure to cure it. During Ebola, I know of a local government chairman who bought like 3 Petrol stations

3 Likes

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by NotBeenPaid: 12:18pm On Feb 28, 2020

Me I yam waiting for the salt and bitter kola plus ginger and garlic WhatsApp Broadcast therapy yen yen yen!

4 Likes

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by SCORPION1902: 12:18pm On Feb 28, 2020
What about salt and pepper soup? grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Mateen1000: 12:18pm On Feb 28, 2020
May God protect us
Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Handy007: 12:18pm On Feb 28, 2020
What is even the cause of this so called corona virus?
Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by pashiano: 12:19pm On Feb 28, 2020
God save us
Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by Jahzrockballer(m): 12:19pm On Feb 28, 2020
Only God can saif us

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by SweetCunt97(f): 12:19pm On Feb 28, 2020
No more kissing... Omo carry ur mouth go

4 Likes

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by YorubaKinging: 12:20pm On Feb 28, 2020
There's no way you can protect yourself from a virus that's the so called scientists knows nothing about how it spread
But you can pray against contacting because Jesus has power over all things
In the heavens and on Earth

12 Likes

Re: 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus by risos(m): 12:20pm On Feb 28, 2020
This news is serious, bar man give me corona extra

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unbelievable Cure For Keloid/bumps / 745 New Covid-19 Cases, 340 Discharged And 6 Deaths On June 18 - (2542 Tested) / Side Effects Of Skin Bleaching

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.