Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,334 members, 7,864,602 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:21 PM

Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager (3775 Views)

Genevieve Nnaji Listening To 21 By Ayra Starr, Looks Like Teenager In New Photo / Temi Otedola Looks Like All American Star Greta Onieogou / Greta Thunberg Self-Isolates With Coronavirus Symptoms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager by Nobody: 11:02pm On Feb 29, 2020
Greta Tintin Eleonora Ernman Thunberg is a Swedish environmental activist on climate change whose campaign has gained international recognition. Known for her straightforward manner of speaking, both in public and to political leaders and assemblies, Thunberg was born on 3 January 2003 in Stockholm, Sweden, the daughter of opera singer Malena Ernman and actor Svante Thunberg. Her paternal grandfather was actor and director Olof Thunberg.

Thunberg's activism started after convincing her parents to adopt several lifestyle choices to reduce their own carbon footprint. Thunberg says she first heard about climate change in 2011, when she was eight years old, and could not understand why so little was being done about it. The situation made her depressed. She stopped talking and eating, and lost ten kilograms (22 lb) in two months. Eventually, she was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD), and selective mutism.

"I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, OCD and selective mutism. That basically means I only speak when I think it's necessary. Now is one of those moments." - Greta Thunberg, November 2018

In August 2018, at age 15, she started spending her school days outside the Swedish parliament to call for stronger action on climate change. Soon, other students engaged in similar protests in their own communities. Together, they organised a school climate strike movement under the name, Fridays for Future. In an interview with Amy Goodman, she said she first got the idea of a climate strike after school shootings in the United States in February 2018 led to several youths refusing to go back to school. On 20 August 2018, Thunberg, who had just started ninth grade, decided not to attend school until the 2018 Swedish general election on 9 September, demanding that the Swedish government reduce carbon emissions in accordance with the Paris Agreement.

"As people they think what I am doing is good, but as teachers they say I should stop." - Greta Thunberg, 2019

After October 2018, Thunberg's activism evolved from solitary protesting to taking part in demonstrations throughout Europe, making several high-profile public speeches, and mobilising her growing number of followers on social media platforms. Her speech during the plenary session of the 2018 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP24) went viral after she claimed that the world leaders present were "not mature enough to tell it as it is".

In July 2019, Time magazine reported Thunberg was taking a "sabbatical year" from school, intending to travel to the Americas while meeting people from the climate movement. In August 2019, Thunberg sailed across the Atlantic Ocean from Plymouth, England, to New York, USA, in the 60-foot (18 m) racing yacht Malizia II, equipped with solar panels and underwater turbines. The trip was announced as a carbon-neutral transatlantic crossing serving as a demonstration of Thunberg's declared beliefs of the importance of reducing emissions.

On 23 September 2019, Thunberg attended the UN Climate Action Summit in New York City where she delivered a thought-provoking speech.

"This is all wrong. I shouldn’t be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean. Yet you all come to us young people for hope? How dare you! You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words. And yet I'm one of the lucky ones. People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction. And all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!" - Greta Thunberg, 2019

Thunberg has inspired a number of her school-aged peers in what has been described as "The Greta effect". In a short meeting with Thunberg, Pope Francis thanked her and encouraged her to continue. In February 2019, 224 academics signed an open letter of support stating they were inspired by Thunberg's actions and the striking school children in making their voices heard. United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres endorsed the school strikes initiated by Thunberg, admitting that "My generation has failed to respond properly to the dramatic challenge of climate change. This is deeply felt by young people. No wonder they are angry."

Greta Thunberg has also received various honours and awards over the course of her activism.

- TIMES' 25 most influential teens of (2018)
- Fryshuset scholarship (2018)
- Nobel Peace Prize nomination (2019)
- Nobel Peace Prize nomination (2020)
- Swedish Woman of the Year (2019)
- Rachel Carson Prize (2019)
- Goldene Kamera film and television awards (2019)
- Fritt Ord Award (2019)
- TIME 100 (2019)
- Laudato si' Prize (2019)
- Doctor honoris causa [honorary doctorate] (2019)
- Ambassador of Conscience Award (2019)
- The Geddes Environment Medal (2019)
- Honorary Fellowship of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society (2019)
- Right Livelihood Award (2019)
- Keys to the City of Montréal (2019)
- Nelloptodes gretae [a newly identified species of beetle is named for Greta Thunberg] (2019)
- International Children's Peace Prize (2019)
- Maphiyata echiyatan hin win [Woman Who Came from the Heavens] (2019)
- Nordic Council Environment Prize, October (2019)
- Times Person of the Year (2019)
- Glamour Woman of the Year Award (2019)
- Nature's 10 (2019)
- Forbes list of The World's 100 Most Powerful Women (2019)

Re: Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager by budaatum: 11:17pm On Feb 29, 2020
ReverseFlash:
Greta Tintin Eleonora Ernman Thunberg is a Swedish environmental activist on climate change whose campaign has gained international recognition. Known for her straightforward manner of speaking, both in public and to political leaders and assemblies, Thunberg was born on 3 January 2003 in Stockholm, Sweden, the daughter of opera singer Malena Ernman and actor Svante Thunberg. Her paternal grandfather was actor and director Olof Thunberg.

Thunberg's activism started after convincing her parents to adopt several lifestyle choices to reduce their own carbon footprint. Thunberg says she first heard about climate change in 2011, when she was eight years old, and could not understand why so little was being done about it. The situation made her depressed. She stopped talking and eating, and lost ten kilograms (22 lb) in two months. Eventually, she was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD), and selective mutism.

"I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, OCD and selective mutism. That basically means I only speak when I think it's necessary. Now is one of those moments." - Greta Thunberg, November 2018

In August 2018, at age 15, she started spending her school days outside the Swedish parliament to call for stronger action on climate change. Soon, other students engaged in similar protests in their own communities. Together, they organised a school climate strike movement under the name, Fridays for Future. In an interview with Amy Goodman, she said she first got the idea of a climate strike after school shootings in the United States in February 2018 led to several youths refusing to go back to school. On 20 August 2018, Thunberg, who had just started ninth grade, decided not to attend school until the 2018 Swedish general election on 9 September, demanding that the Swedish government reduce carbon emissions in accordance with the Paris Agreement.

"As people they think what I am doing is good, but as teachers they say I should stop." - Greta Thunberg, 2019

After October 2018, Thunberg's activism evolved from solitary protesting to taking part in demonstrations throughout Europe, making several high-profile public speeches, and mobilising her growing number of followers on social media platforms. Her speech during the plenary session of the 2018 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP24) went viral after she claimed that the world leaders present were "not mature enough to tell it as it is".

In July 2019, Time magazine reported Thunberg was taking a "sabbatical year" from school, intending to travel to the Americas while meeting people from the climate movement. In August 2019, Thunberg sailed across the Atlantic Ocean from Plymouth, England, to New York, USA, in the 60-foot (18 m) racing yacht Malizia II, equipped with solar panels and underwater turbines. The trip was announced as a carbon-neutral transatlantic crossing serving as a demonstration of Thunberg's declared beliefs of the importance of reducing emissions.

On 23 September 2019, Thunberg attended the UN Climate Action Summit in New York City where she delivered a thought-provoking speech.

"This is all wrong. I shouldn’t be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean. Yet you all come to us young people for hope? How dare you! You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words. And yet I'm one of the lucky ones. People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction. And all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!" - Greta Thunberg, 2019

Thunberg has inspired a number of her school-aged peers in what has been described as "The Greta effect". In a short meeting with Thunberg, Pope Francis thanked her and encouraged her to continue. In February 2019, 224 academics signed an open letter of support stating they were inspired by Thunberg's actions and the striking school children in making their voices heard. United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres endorsed the school strikes initiated by Thunberg, admitting that "My generation has failed to respond properly to the dramatic challenge of climate change. This is deeply felt by young people. No wonder they are angry."

Greta Thunberg has also received various honours and awards over the course of her activism.

- TIMES' 25 most influential teens of (2018)
- Fryshuset scholarship (2018)
- Nobel Peace Prize nomination (2019)
- Nobel Peace Prize nomination (2020)
- Swedish Woman of the Year (2019)
- Rachel Carson Prize (2019)
- Goldene Kamera film and television awards (2019)
- Fritt Ord Award (2019)
- TIME 100 (2019)
- Laudato si' Prize (2019)
- Doctor honoris causa [honorary doctorate] (2019)
- Ambassador of Conscience Award (2019)
- The Geddes Environment Medal (2019)
- Honorary Fellowship of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society (2019)
- Right Livelihood Award (2019)
- Keys to the City of Montréal (2019)
- Nelloptodes gretae [a newly identified species of beetle is named for Greta Thunberg] (2019)
- International Children's Peace Prize (2019)
- Maphiyata echiyatan hin win [Woman Who Came from the Heavens] (2019)
- Nordic Council Environment Prize, October (2019)
- Times Person of the Year (2019)
- Glamour Woman of the Year Award (2019)
- Nature's 10 (2019)
- Forbes list of The World's 100 Most Powerful Women (2019)
The 21st Century Jesus
Re: Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager by CAPSLOCKED: 7:45am On Mar 01, 2020
budaatum:

The 21st Century Jesus

ACCURATE.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager by punisha: 8:17am On Mar 01, 2020
budaatum:

The 21st Century Jesus

Chief be very careful.
I dey easily provoke.
Jesus Christ come give speech on climate change? Abi u don smoke gum ni?
Greta no fit heal anybody or raise dead na to dey insult her elders up and down she Sabi.
Let me catch her first n beat small respect into her head.

On a lighter note... I'm proud of her.

8 Likes

Re: Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager by jesmond3945: 8:22am On Mar 01, 2020
as usual praising a white lady when she is clearly fighting for a cause that would better the life of only whites. if it is global let her come to Africa. nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager by doggedfighter(f): 8:47am On Mar 01, 2020
punisha:

Chief be very careful.
I dey easily provoke.
Jesus Christ come give speech on climate change? Abi u don smoke gum ni?
Greta no fit heal anybody or raise dead na to dey insult her elders up and down she Sabi.
Let me catch her first n beat small respect into her head.

On a lighter note... I'm proud of her.
Who did Jesus heal or raise except for Bible stories. Let him heal and raise today . Let's see

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager by doggedfighter(f): 8:49am On Mar 01, 2020
Being famous is a good thing. Anything you can do to be in the limelight, do it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager by Nobody: 11:19am On Mar 01, 2020
jesmond3945:
as usual praising a white lady when she is clearly fighting for a cause that would better the life of only whites. if it is global let her come to Africa. nonsense.

Well, "white people" aren't the only ones living on earth so climate change affects everyone. Moreover Thunberg isn't the only child activist in the world. In Africa, there's the young 14-year old Divina Maloum from Cameroon, the 18-year old Ayakha Melithafa from South Africa, the 12-year old Catarina Lorenzo from Bahia, Brazil and so many others.
Re: Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager by jesmond3945: 11:32am On Mar 01, 2020
ReverseFlash:

Well, "white people" aren't the only ones living on earth so climate change affects everyone. Moreover Thunberg isn't the only child activist in the world. In Africa, there's the young 14-year old Divina Maloum from Cameroon, the 18-year old Ayakha Melithafa from South Africa, the 12-year old Catarina Lorenzo from Bahia, Brazil and so many others.
and the africans were cropped out from a photo and she never supported the african. why do you think trump is not buying the propaganda?
Re: Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager by sesaan(m): 12:28pm On Mar 01, 2020
While here in Nigeria instead of doing something meaningful out teenage girls are busy following old men eg Regina Daniel
Re: Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager by BennyDGreat: 4:01pm On Mar 01, 2020
Great
Re: Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager by budaatum: 4:15pm On Mar 01, 2020
jesmond3945:
It's nothing to do with her white. Another Jesus was brown skinned Pakistani born Malala.

If ye too do well ye will be praised.

Re: Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager by jesmond3945: 4:39pm On Mar 01, 2020
budaatum:

It's nothing to do with her white. Another Jesus was brown skinned Pakistani born Malala.

If ye too do well ye will be praised.

at least she would not be cropped out of a photo because of her skin colour like they did to the Ugandan.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager by budaatum: 4:50pm On Mar 01, 2020
jesmond3945:
at least she would not be cropped out of a photo because of her skin colour like they did to the Ugandan.
Have you missed the attacks on Thunberg?

The enemies don't care what skin colour you are!
Re: Meet Greta Thunberg, The World's Most Powerful Teenager by jcross19: 5:18pm On Mar 01, 2020
doggedfighter:

Who did Jesus heal or raise except for Bible stories. Let him heal and raise today . Let's see
when you see demon no need to argue ! dark energy .

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

'This Is 40!': Bikini-clad Kim Celebrates Her Birthday (Photos) / Ned Nwoko Proposes To A Popular Tiktoker Kelly (photo) / Meet Nigerian Tiktoker AI JARVIS Who Makes Millions Of Naira Daily From Tiktok

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.