Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

What Google Knows About You - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Google Knows About You (1476 Views)

Who Knows About Regenesys Business School Data Science Scholarship? / Does Any One Knows About Decagon Internship? / How Much Google Knows About You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Google Knows About You by Hakeem12(m): 11:09am On Mar 04, 2020
When you search on Google, they keep your search history forever. That means, they know every search you have ever done, no matter how embarrassing it might be. That's just the shallow end of the deep pool of data they try to collect on you.

What most people don't realize is that even if you don't use any Google product directly, they are still trying to discover as much as they can about you. Google trackers have been found on 75% of the top million websites. Which means they are also trying to track everywhere you visit in the internet, trying to slurp up your browsing history.

Most people also don't know that google runs most of the ads on the internet and in apps...I mean the ones that follow you around everywhere? Yup, that's Google too. They really aren't a search company anymore, they are a tracking company. They are tracking as much as they can for these annoying and intrusive ads, including recording every time you see them, where you saw them, if you clicked on them, etc.

But that's not even all...

If you use Google products
They track you even more. In addition to tracking everything you searched for on Google. They also track every video you have ever watched on YouTube. Google now owns YouTube too.

And if you use Android (Google owns that too) then they are also tracking...

1. Everyplace you have been via Google location services, be it brothel, strip club, whatever.
2. How often you use your app, where you use them, when you use them, and who you use them to interact with. (This is just excessive by any means).
3. All of your text messages, which unlike IOS, are not encrypted by default.
4. Your photos, even in some cases, the ones you have deleted. (Those nudes)

If you use Gmail, they also of course have all your contacts and emails, if you use google calendar, they know your schedule. There's a pattern here, for all google products (hangouts, music, drive) You can expect the same level of tracking. That is, pretty much anything they can track, they will.

Oh, and if you use Google home, they can store a live recording of every command You (or anyone else) has ever said to your device. You can check out all your recordings on your Google activity page.

Now, even if you tell em not to, Google has been known not to listen, example is your location history.

3 Likes

Re: What Google Knows About You by Perfecttouchade: 11:13am On Mar 04, 2020
Lobaatan..oloju satellite cheesy (Google satellite eye) well, we are in a high tech generation.. nothing is hidden anymore even with biometrics development, cases are easily tracked..Advanced age indeed
Re: What Google Knows About You by Hakeem12(m): 11:15am On Mar 04, 2020
Why does Google want all of your information anyway? Simple.

You become the product
They are not a search company anymore, they are a tracking one. They need all the information to build a robust profile on you. By keeping close tabs on what you do, they may know you better than you know yourself.

The result of all that tracking is that Google uses your personal profile to sell ads, not only on their search engine, but on three million other websites and apps. Everytimw you visit one of these apps or sites, they are following you with hyper-targeted ads, trying to influence your behaviour. It doesn't have to be this way, since 2014, duckduck go for example has been making money without tracking it users like google does.

1 Like

Re: What Google Knows About You by Lawgod247: 11:21am On Mar 04, 2020
Ok
Re: What Google Knows About You by Hakeem12(m): 11:24am On Mar 04, 2020
The Myth of Nothing to Hide
Some may argue that they have nothing to hide, so they are not concerned with the amount of information Google has collected and stored on them. But that argument is fundamentally flawed for many reasons.

Everyone has information they want to keep secret or private. Do you close the door when you go to the bathroom, or cover you windows when it gets dark? Privacy is about control over our personal information. We don't want it in the hands of everyone and certainly don't want people benefiting from it without our consent or participation.
In addition, privacy is essential to Democratic institutions in areas of voting etc. The Cambridge analytical scandal hasn't yet blown over completely, when Facebook influenced the Hilary and trump election with ads on Facebook. They also admitted to doing the same in Nigeria and some other countries. You should see The Great Hack, a Netflix documentary to better understand this, if you are interested.

Now, on an individual level, lack of privacy risks putting people into a filter bubble, getting manipulated by ads etc. On a societal level, it can lead to deepened polarization and some high level manipulation.

2 Likes

Re: What Google Knows About You by Hakeem12(m): 11:33am On Mar 04, 2020
You can live Google free
Basically, Google tries to track too much, it's just more information than one company should have on anyone.
There are many good ways to reduce your Google footprint. For starters, just switching your search engine goes a long way .

DuckDuckGo app and extension will not only make your searches anonymous but also block google from following you on the internet.

2 Likes

Re: What Google Knows About You by cRobo: 11:35am On Mar 04, 2020
I won't say a word
Re: What Google Knows About You by Hakeem12(m): 11:38am On Mar 04, 2020
cRobo:
I won't say a word
Lol, why?
Re: What Google Knows About You by cRobo: 11:40am On Mar 04, 2020
Hakeem12:
Lol, why?

Because I always mind my business
Re: What Google Knows About You by Hakeem12(m): 11:42am On Mar 04, 2020
cRobo:

Because I always mind my business
Good for you
Re: What Google Knows About You by joshboo(m): 12:19pm On Mar 04, 2020
Hakeem12:
You can live Google free
Basically, Google tries to track too much, it's just more information than one company should have on anyone.
There are many good ways to reduce your Google footprint. For starters, just switching your search engine goes a long way .

DuckDuckGo app and extension will not only make your searches anonymous but also block google from following you on the internet.
So wats the app about and how can one be maybe not entirely but say 75% free from their shackle And kindly enlighten further as to what the app does..
Re: What Google Knows About You by smat101(m): 12:23pm On Mar 04, 2020
I noticed that, they are tracking every user more than we can imagine...
lemme give u an instance Google on a particular product say Bluetooth earpiece...
some days later you will starts seeing adds on Bluetooth earpiece on your Facebook, pop up adds etc...

3 Likes

Re: What Google Knows About You by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 30, 2020
Please poster reply me i have something important to talk to you about
Re: What Google Knows About You by Karleb(m): 2:42pm On Aug 31, 2020
smat101:
I noticed that, they are tracking every user more than we can imagine...
lemme give u an instance Google on a particular product say Bluetooth earpiece...
some days later you will starts seeing adds on Bluetooth earpiece on your Facebook, pop up adds etc...

Same thing with Facebook and any other giant company that depends on ads.

All these are in their privacy policy but they are just too long and boring to read.

Way out is to get a premium package. These guys are not running a charity organization.

1 Like

Re: What Google Knows About You by atheistandproud(m): 7:17pm On Oct 18, 2021
This thread ought to be resurrected.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Are You Around Lekki,ikoyi, Victoria Island, Eti-Osa and Environment? / Need An Expert Assessment / Using Android Studio Offline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.