Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,264 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo (2482 Views)

520 Of Us Were Kidnapped - Rescued Kankara Student Reveals / Breaking News: Abducted Turkish Nationals Kidnapped, Rescued Alive -police / Kidnapped & Rescued Baby Reunites With Mother. More Details Emerge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by suchajoke: 11:50am On Mar 04, 2020
·Two kidnappers nabbed

A combined team of police and vigilante group have rescued four lecturers and 11 students of the Geology Department of the University of Benin from the claws of suspected kidnappers in Igarra headquarters of Akiko Edo Council Area of Edo State.

Both lecturers and students were kidnapped while on field work within the area.

They were said to have boarded an 18-seater bus and were along Ihievbe-Ago axis in Owan East Local Government Area when gunmen swooped upon them.

They were subsequently marched into the forest by the kidnappers.

It was learnt that the driver of the bus and two students later escaped and alerted the vigilante group who were on patrol along the Igarra-Auchi Road.

The security outfit in collaboration with the police then mobilized and gave the kidnappers a hot chase which led to exchange of gun fire.

Two of the suspected kidnappers were later arrested.

The suspected kidnappers were said to have abandoned their victims and ran away.

Chairman Opoze Age Group in Igarra who is also head of the vigilante group, Ibukun Dogo said: “The driver of the 18-seater bus and two of the students escaped when the kidnappers rounded them up at gun point. They ran back to the highway where our vigilante group were patrolling and broke the news to them.

“The men contacted me and briefed me on phone and I ordered that they should go after them while I quickly informed the police for back up. While my men were pursuing the kidnappers, they were shooting and so my men were retuning fire but we ran out of ammunition but we were able to apprehend two of the kidnappers and they were taken to the police station,” he said.

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/four-uniben-lecturers-11-students-kidnapped-rescued-in-edo/

Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by AreaFada2: 12:00pm On Mar 04, 2020
You do not mean it
Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by illicit(m): 12:20pm On Mar 04, 2020
Edo airforce to the rescue....
Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by Goldencheese(m): 12:23pm On Mar 04, 2020
These devilish herders have dominated Edo State. What's going on?

1 Like

Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by omodave(m): 5:50pm On Mar 04, 2020
It's well
Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by solmus: 7:22pm On Mar 04, 2020
this people just vacated SouthWest to pitch tent in SouthSouth firstly it was Delta Now Edo
Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by YungMillionaire: 8:06pm On Mar 04, 2020
When we tell the South to unite, some say our mouths are smelling...kwantinue u na neva c anything.

1 Like

Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by Artistree: 8:52pm On Mar 04, 2020
I'm on campus and no news like that was circulated.
Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by Eagleboney(m): 8:52pm On Mar 04, 2020
Hmmm
why are they wasting time ,for amotekun to start operation ,is it when the herdsmen have wreaked havoc and gone that they will come out to start making noise,

they no that they can't do that in south east
Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by Ebenezer2021(m): 10:59pm On Mar 04, 2020
Artistree:
uniben sef isn't in session so that trip is an illegal or perhaps an audio (non existent) one
Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by Ebenezer2021(m): 11:00pm On Mar 04, 2020
Eagleboney:
Hmmm
why are they wasting time ,for amotekun to start operation ,is it when the herdsmen have wreaked havoc and gone that they will come out to start making noise,

they no that they can't do that in south east
I guess Nimbo community in Enugu that was raided by 3pm and scores killed is located in South West
Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by Eagleboney(m): 11:06pm On Mar 04, 2020
Ebenezer2021:
I guess Nimbo community in Enugu that was raided by 3pm and scores killed is located in South West
how many times did that happen ,but they are a constant menace in this other region wreaking havoc with authority and freedom
Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by BunbleBee: 6:34am On Mar 05, 2020
From such a website you expect credible news?
Bloggers should fear God ooo
Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by AerialMapper: 9:44am On Mar 05, 2020
It is true! My brother in law was among the people who escaped. From his version of events, the students were rescued by the army and not the police
Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by edoairways: 9:11pm On Mar 05, 2020
Artistree:
Punch Newspapers
Lecturers, students abduction threat to education – ASUU
Published

Sola Shittu, Benin

The Academic Staff Union of Universities of the University of Benin on Thursday said the abduction of four lecturers and eleven students of the institution has the capacity to cripple the entire education system which is already traumatised.

It also said it was a sign that the nation’s security apparatus had failed.

ASUU in a statement jointly signed by its Chairman, Prof. Monday Omoregie, and the secretary, Dr. Fabian Amaechina, called on security agencies to warm up to the responsibility of securing Nigerians because national development is impossible without security.

It said the unseriousness with which the security apparatus is treating matters of national security is distressing and such must not be allowed to continue.

“It is a virus that needs to be exterminated because of the negative multiplier effect it can have on education and the larger development of the nation. If researches and field works cannot go on because of the challenge of insecurity, then the educational sector and the whole concept of national development will be on borrowed time,” said ASUU.

The union stated further that apart from having the negative potential of lowering the quality of manpower produced by the universities, “the larger picture is that it has the capacity the crippling the entire educational system. The larger consequences will be utterly grievous”.

The union, however, recognised the role played by Ikpesi community, which helped in the rescue of the abducted students and their lecturers.

“We salute the community’s courage and patriotism and recommend their action to other besieged communities. Their reaction only proves that we are stronger together. Perhaps, but for their role and support, it would have been a tale of woes,” it said.

1 Like

Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by FARA4GA: 9:56pm On Mar 05, 2020
Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by Passionate888: 10:35pm On Mar 05, 2020
Nigerian Police ran out of ammo. while exchanging fire with Fulani criminals! Tell me what I don't know.
Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by Geofavor(m): 11:18am On Mar 06, 2020
Ebenezer2021:
uniben sef isn't in session so that trip is an illegal or perhaps an audio (non existent) one
It wasnt an illegal or audio trip. The field trip often shortens the amount of lecture time available in a session. So, they tried to leverage the break.
Re: Four UNIBEN Lecturers, 11 Students Kidnapped, Rescued In Edo by Artistree: 6:27am On Mar 07, 2020
edoairways:

Punch Newspapers
Lecturers, students abduction threat to education – ASUU
Published

Sola Shittu, Benin

The Academic Staff Union of Universities of the University of Benin on Thursday said the abduction of four lecturers and eleven students of the institution has the capacity to cripple the entire education system which is already traumatised.

It also said it was a sign that the nation’s security apparatus had failed.

ASUU in a statement jointly signed by its Chairman, Prof. Monday Omoregie, and the secretary, Dr. Fabian Amaechina, called on security agencies to warm up to the responsibility of securing Nigerians because national development is impossible without security.

It said the unseriousness with which the security apparatus is treating matters of national security is distressing and such must not be allowed to continue.

“It is a virus that needs to be exterminated because of the negative multiplier effect it can have on education and the larger development of the nation. If researches and field works cannot go on because of the challenge of insecurity, then the educational sector and the whole concept of national development will be on borrowed time,” said ASUU.

The union stated further that apart from having the negative potential of lowering the quality of manpower produced by the universities, “the larger picture is that it has the capacity the crippling the entire educational system. The larger consequences will be utterly grievous”.

The union, however, recognised the role played by Ikpesi community, which helped in the rescue of the abducted students and their lecturers.

“We salute the community’s courage and patriotism and recommend their action to other besieged communities. Their reaction only proves that we are stronger together. Perhaps, but for their role and support, it would have been a tale of woes,” it said.
Thank you very much.
I may have been overwhelmed with work not to have heard.

(1) (Reply)

Missing Lady In Benin City / "Pastor" Rapes A Girl To Death / See The Pastor That Buried Human Bodies In Church (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.