Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

Why You Should Choose Drupal For Your Next Web Project. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why You Should Choose Drupal For Your Next Web Project. (614 Views)

5 Reasons Why You Should Choose Drupal For Web Development / What Is Sitemap.xml And Robot.txt And Their Function For A Web Project / Website Developer Needed For Web Project And Maintenance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why You Should Choose Drupal For Your Next Web Project. by chikeaneke(m): 10:05pm On Mar 10, 2020

Drupal is one of the leading content management systems. With this post I will give insights as to why you should consider using Drupal for your next website project.

Drupal offers lots of advantages to site owners that will make a discerning site owner choose it. Let me mention some of the advantages:

SEO
Drupal sites are SEO friendly as Drupal 8 is natively responsive and with Big Pipe and other caching mechanisms, much of your site content is served from cache making page loads faster and good speed is good for SEO. Also there are invaluable SEO modules to prime your site for optimal search performance.

Security
Drupal has a very dedicated and seriously-taken security team, security is top priority as the Drupal Security Team continuously monitor, fix and report any security issues. Also, by it's architecture, Drupal ships with enterprise-level security baked in.

Security is why Drupal is usually used by very serious users including governments from all over the world, the biggest higher educational institutions of our world, the biggest institutions and organisations of our world, and yet other very big companies and organisations.

Structured content
Drupal gives near-extreme powers to site builders and content authors to model their content in precise modular and granular structures. This has immeasurable benefits in content re-use, re-presentation, export, import and in cross-platform cross-device data interoperability. Field API is baked right within Drupal and with Drupal, it's a party of fields everywhere. Drupal is 'chunky' and not 'blobby', if you understand the drawbacks of 'blobby' content you will know the value here especially if your site is medium to big.

User permissions and content moderation
Drupal ships with 3 user roles but you are free to add endless amounts of user roles with extremely fine-grained permission levels on the site. You literally can restrict users to individual page elements and even fields. Content moderation and access-control is very robust in Drupal. Access can be controlled per site section, per menu items, per content types, per who created the content, per taxonomy terms, per field type, it's incredible. Content moderation is very extensive, you can set a writer that depends on a first level reviewer, the reviewer can review and still push up to quality control team who will then push to the legal team who will then push to the final editor that has the exclusive rights to publish live on site. While live, if content is edited, it goes through same defined moderation flow for the added edits to show on the site. You can also stage a whole edition of your site with all the content pertaining to the edition, and activate/publish the entire edition live with one click, it's amazing.

Drupal is modern code
Drupal 8 is modern PHP 7 Object Oriented Code and utilizes modern libraries. This means the skill set of Drupal developers is same skill set obtainable in the general PHP community. It is modern programming paradigm that is recognizable by modern programmers. Theming engine is Twig which is modern too.

Drupal is API-first
Drupal has RESTful web services and JSON:API in core, GraphQL is ripe, OpenAPI, CouchDB and lots of web services tools you need to expose the endpoints of your content to your consumer applications are stably available. Read my article about how to decouple Drupal here.

Drupal has become easy to use
Yes, one thing that has always been said about Drupal is that it is harsh on novices and friendly on developers, and many say Drupal is very difficult to build with and use. Well, things have gotten a lot better. Drupal 8 has made so many editorial experience and UI improvements, there is Layout Builder for easier content creation/editing, there are other improved editorial-friendly layout tools, and there is even Gutenberg editor available. But make no mistakes Drupal has a bias for the enterprise scale than for Do-It-Yourself users. As an absolute novice I do not think you can successfully install and setup Drupal as easily as you would other CMSes. There is a threshold of skill and knowledge required to successfully and rightfully setup Drupal. That is why Drupal agencies exist, e.g. I work with a team of web designers in Nigeria with specialty in Drupal.

Drupal is scalable
You can start small with Drupal and scale up the site to incredible levels in the future, it has all features you need to play in the enterprise space even when you started in the small guy space. Drupal can really handle very big and complex content better.

Multilingual support
Drupal ships with up to 100 languages to choose from during installation and every single content entity is translatable out of the box. There’s back-end system for transliteration. This will come in handy when you are working on projects that involves languages more than just English. Drupal 8 has 4 core modules for language and translation, all you need do is turn them on, configure them and you are good to go.

In conclusion
I hope with these few points of mine I am able to convince you and not confuse you on why you should try Drupal on your next project.

I do write about Drupal on Skillmatic Ace (web developers in Nigeria with special focus on Drupal).

If I remember any other points I may post them as comments.

Thank you for reading.

(1) (Reply)

Please Bloggers Do Any One Have This File Music Jingle Tagga Like More Music @ / Start Youtube Training, Get Monitization With Your Phone Without Showing Your Fa / GIVEAWAY - GET A $500 Amazon Gift Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.