Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,017 members, 7,859,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 04:15 PM

IMT Students In Critical State As Female Hostel Balcony Collapses - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / IMT Students In Critical State As Female Hostel Balcony Collapses (1072 Views)

Enugu: IMT Students Speak On Their Tuition, Compulsory Accomodation Fees / IMT Student And His "Customised Vehicle" Storm School In Enugu. Photos / Gov. Ugwuanyi Offers Scholarship To 340 More IMT Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IMT Students In Critical State As Female Hostel Balcony Collapses by Leetee123: 7:30am On Mar 11, 2020
Three students of Institute of Management and Technology (IMT) Enugu, have been left in a critical state following the collapse the balcony of one of the institution's female hostel on March 9.

The injured girls are all students of Mass Communication Department and it was gathered that one of the girls identified as Oluchi Obetta was left with a swollen face and disfigured mouth after the incident. Another student identified as Miss Amanda, was left with a broken neck and waist.

New Telegraph reported that two of the students were taken to the Orthopaedic Hospital in Enugu.

Recounting how the incident occurred, Oluchi said;

“On Monday morning, around 10 O’clock, I went to the hostel to call my friend by name Amanda, for a lecture we were supposed to have that morning.

“When I got to the hostel, on first floor of the two-storey building, she was washing plates on the balcony. She begged me to wait for her. So, while I was standing and waiting for her to finish, another student came down to join her on the balcony.

“We were discussing and all of a sudden, the balcony where she was washing the plates collapsed. The next thing I found myself in this hospital. My friend, Amanda, was taken to Orthopaedic Hospital because, as I was told, she broke her neck and waist”.

Oluchi also disclosed that the school demanded for her transfer to the school clinic because they can't take care of a bill from a private hospital. She revealed that she turned down the offer because she wasn’t sure of proper treatment in the school clinic due to her condition.

https://pressnewsng.com.ng/imt-students-in-critical-state-as-female-hostel-balcony-collapses/

Re: IMT Students In Critical State As Female Hostel Balcony Collapses by TheGiftedOne(m): 7:39am On Mar 11, 2020
Every sector in Nigeria lacks maintenance culture. How can a school hostel be this pitiable? How could the students not have noticed the possibility of this happening because a weak decking is almost all the room obvious to see. Well, I wish them a speedy recovery. Thank God no life was lost.

Red Alert
In the same vein, I remember the FAITH MARK hostel in BDPA in my UNIBEN days. It's was initially built as a one storey building, but they've added two more floors to make it three. If you stand in front of the hostel, you'll notice that's it's structurally deficient. I pray and wish it doesn't happen but that hostel is a disaster waiting to happen.
I don't know why we would allow a stone we saw coming to "blind" us.

1 Like

Re: IMT Students In Critical State As Female Hostel Balcony Collapses by Asquare84(m): 7:47am On Mar 11, 2020
enugu people need to pray to God to come and restore the land from this current governor of the state
Re: IMT Students In Critical State As Female Hostel Balcony Collapses by etsuidris(m): 7:47am On Mar 11, 2020
Things fall apart... Welcome to Nigeria

1 Like

Re: IMT Students In Critical State As Female Hostel Balcony Collapses by NextD18: 7:48am On Mar 11, 2020
A building balcony that is structured to contend with all kinds of live loads is expected to have a proper column/stanchion.

Engr D18 has spoken!

Re: IMT Students In Critical State As Female Hostel Balcony Collapses by TheTourist: 8:40am On Mar 11, 2020
See Problem ooo shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: IMT Students In Critical State As Female Hostel Balcony Collapses by ValCon888: 10:42am On Mar 11, 2020
That building has outlived it's usefulness.
The balcony collapse is a sign of a bigger structural failure waiting to happen.

It is only when people die that the government takes action to save face. We never learn from our mistakes in this country.
Re: IMT Students In Critical State As Female Hostel Balcony Collapses by BennyDGreat: 11:23am On Mar 11, 2020
Mehn this injury is much ooo

(1) (Reply)

Differences Between Academic And Professional Masters Degree / Group Chat For All Poland And Other Countries Admission And Visa Process / Take Courses Online In Coursera Without Paying A Dime For Tuition Fee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.