Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,693 members, 7,813,290 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? (1402 Views)

Why Self Taught Programmers Over “Exaggerate”. / Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate / Can A Self Taught Programmer Be Employed In A I.T Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? by Codysseus: 7:30am On Mar 13, 2020
When I'm on school break, I wanna embark on the journey to be a self-taught developer who can develop web and mobile apps. I don't have money for bootcamp training. Moreover the training centers are far from my locations. What and what do I need? Like free sites and daily hours to be dedicated to learning, amount of internet to buy per month and tools(if any). I'm using HP notebook. Please tell me what I should know and gimme a guide. Thanks.
Re: Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? by SUPREMOTM: 10:49am On Mar 13, 2020
Web and mobile apps?
Start with HTML and CSS, then later learn some JavaScript.

Note:
1. HTML is not a programming language; it is a markup language that you will use to organise your content.

2. CSS is also not a programming language; it is used for presentation. It is used to give an appealing look to your webapp/website.

The two of them are compulsory tools for web developer to work with.

HTML and CSS work together, so, you may have to learn a little bit of HTML only at first but you will eventually have to work with the two at the same time.

ALL the information you need on these two subjects are on Mozilla Developers Network(MDN). Type MDN on Google, and with notepad on your laptop, you can begin the journey from there.

Spend about a month of consistent efforts to master them then get video tutorials from UDEMY on advanced CSS3.

DON'T BEGIN TO LEARN JAVASCRIPT UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND ADVANCED CSS3 and don't touch bootstrap either until later.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? by Millz404(m): 11:45am On Mar 13, 2020
download sololearn app and start from there. they teach mostly basics but it gets you out of the woods for more advanced stuffs. Start learning html, css, JavaScript, php, mysql and then you can move to maybe python or which ever catches your fancy.

After which you will be ready to start exploring frameworks and libraries like reactjs/react native, vuejs, laravel, django etc. At this stage, you should be building something real as you learn.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? by Ay04z(m): 12:26pm On Mar 13, 2020
I need this too
Re: Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? by shegzhkn: 3:00pm On Mar 13, 2020
NOW give me your 100% attention and listen to a pro that has gained root access to NSA, NASA and US Pentagon server.

what do you wanna do ? Web or mobile , Frontender or a Backender , oh i forgot you can combine both - Full stack dev.

Web :

Now pick your tools : HTML, CSS , Javascript - boom you r a crawling frontender.

Hop on SQL, PHP , Node.js - you should be able to write a decent login page script.

Now practice , practice, practice and do a lot of mini project and maybe every month pick a complex project - just to hone your skill.

Mobile:

oh shout coffee, i say shout coffee, i say shoooooooooooooout coffeee grin.

First pick Java, master the OOP concept well (Abstraction , Encapsulation , Inheritance and Polymorphism ).

do all these and get comfy with coffee embarassed

Now choose the platform you want to develop - iOS or Android

Android : Learn android development with java, kotlin is still a little foetus ok.
learn restFul web service and practice alot doing small sample project .

iOS - Learn swift and also master all it building block of app construction, learn it networking libs.

Resources - Goto Google now and type Angela yu.

praise tha Lord grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? by Codysseus: 3:19pm On Mar 13, 2020
SUPREMOTM:
Web and mobile apps?
Start with HTML and CSS, then later learn some JavaScript.

Note:
1. HTML is not a programming language; it is a markup language that you will use to organise your content.

2. CSS is also not a programming language; it is used for presentation. It is used to give an appealing look to your webapp/website.

The two of them are compulsory tools for web developer to work with.

HTML and CSS work together, so, you may have to learn a little bit of HTML only at first but you will eventually have to work with the two at the same time.

ALL the information you need on these two subjects are on Mozilla Developers Network(MDN). Type MDN on Google, and with notepad on your laptop, you can begin the journey from there.

Spend about a month of consistent efforts to master them then get video tutorials from UDEMY on advanced CSS3.

DON'T BEGIN TO LEARN JAVASCRIPT UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND ADVANCED CSS3 and don't touch bootstrap either until later.

Thanks so much!
Re: Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? by Codysseus: 3:20pm On Mar 13, 2020
shegzhkn:
NOW give me your 100% attention and listen to a pro that has gained root access to NSA, NASA and US Pentagon server.

what do you wanna do ? Web or mobile , Frontender or a Backender , oh i forgot you can combine both - Full stack dev.

Web :

Now pick your tools : HTML, CSS , Javascript - boom you r a crawling frontender.

Hop on SQL, PHP , Node.js - you should be able to write a decent login page script.

Now practice , practice, practice and do a lot of mini project and maybe every month pick a complex project - just to hone your skill.

Mobile:

First pick Java, master the OOP concept well (Abstraction , Encapsulation , Inheritance and Polymorphism ).

Android : Learn android development with java, kotlin is still a little foetus ok.

iOS - Learn swift and also master all it building block of app construction, learn it networking libs.

Haha, thanks so much.
Re: Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? by Codysseus: 3:22pm On Mar 13, 2020
Millz404:
download sololearn app and start from there. they teach mostly basics but it gets you out of the woods for more advanced stuffs. Start learning html, css, JavaScript, php, mysql and then you can move to maybe python or which ever catches your fancy.

After which you will be ready to start exploring frameworks and libraries like reactjs/react native, vuejs, laravel, django etc. At this stage, you should be building something real as you learn.

Thanks bro. I appreciate!
Re: Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 13, 2020
shegzhkn:

Web :

Mobile:

Learn how to use restful API to consume Web service data or how to develop restful web server? I don't understand ni oo I just want to learn
Re: Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? by SirLakes: 7:03pm On Mar 13, 2020
Okay! I'm not an Expert nor //a noob

This is a general advice!

Learn the basics of whatever program you choose very well, I mean very well, very well, I mean it.

Dont switch from one programming language to another language when you start...choose 1 and dive deep, from there you'll know what other things you need. (not everyone can learn and be good with many prog language, you'll find out if you can yourself, but not at the earliest stage).

Learn, build , Learn, build.....REPEAT.

Whatever language you choose, break down the topics and learn in details, I recommend Books and video.

Let's say you wanna learn Topic [array], read from 2-3 books, trust me, you'll learn more from books {my opinion}, cement the knowledge with videos, then practice, create a scenario and apply the concept. REPEAT!

You'll be overwhelmed with resources, that you'll think your head will explode, you don't need everything out there (select only what you think you'll need).

There are lot of people who'll say they know language A, B, C, to Z. Ask them to do something with B, they can't.

So, don't get stuck in the tutorial world, you need to break free from it very quickly, by putting things(whatever you learn) together quickly else you might not be able to find your way out.

Get a mentor, there's always an easy way of doing things that only those who are already in the game can show you.

Make Google and Stackoverflow your Best Friend, what ever problem you'll encounter, someone else has encountered it in the past.

Finally, shocked This road is not for everybody, only for those who can become addicted doing it..
wink

3 Likes

Re: Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? by shegzhkn: 7:30pm On Mar 13, 2020
2kaybiel:

Learn how to use restful API to consume Web service data or how to develop restful web server? I don't understand ni oo I just want to learn

why r u pulling my legs bro, ok do the one way you like nigba naa grin

what i meant was 'to learn restFul api to consume web service data to transfer data to and fro from the app' using json .

1 Like

Re: Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? by Codysseus: 9:08pm On Mar 13, 2020
SirLakes:

Learn the basics of whatever program you choose very well, I mean very well, very well, I mean it.

Dont switch from one programming language to another language when you start...choose 1 and dive deep, from there you'll know what other things you need. (not everyone can learn and be good with many prog language, you'll find out if you can yourself, but not at the earliest stage).

Whatever language you choose, break down the topics and learn in details, I recommend Books and video.

Let's say you wanna learn Topic [array], read from 2-3 books, trust me, you'll learn more from books {my opinion}, cement the knowledge with videos, then practice, create a scenario and apply the concept. REPEAT!

You'll be overwhelmed with resources, that you'll think your head will explode, you don't need everything out there (select only what you think you'll need).

There are lot of people who'll say they know language A, B, C, to Z. Ask them to do something with B, they can't.

So, don't get stuck in the tutorial world, you need to break free from it very quickly, by putting things(whatever you learn) together quickly else you might not be able to find your way out.

Get a mentor, there's always an easy way of doing things that only those who are already in the game can show you.

Make Google and Stackoverflow your Best Friend, what ever problem you'll encounter, someone else has encountered it in the past.

Finally, shocked This road is not for everybody, only for those who can become addicted doing it..
wink

Thank you bro. But unfortunately I don't have any offline mentor for now. Hope the resources and mentorship from people online will go a long way.
Re: Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? by Codysseus: 9:27pm On Mar 13, 2020
SirLakes:

wink

Do you mean hard-copy books or e-books?
Re: Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? by SirLakes: 9:04am On Mar 14, 2020
Codysseus:

Do you mean hard-copy books or e-books?
Myself for example, my attention gets diverted quickly whenever I read from e-books, I prefer it hard if possible and I try as much as possible to reduce the amount of time spent staring at my screen.
sadBrace up, your eyes will hurt, due to long stare at your screen.

So, choose what's best for you - You know yourself better.

Hope the resources and mentorship from people online will go a long way. - Yeah, it's OK

1 Like

Re: Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? by arejibadz(m): 3:20pm On Mar 15, 2020
Just started learning too buh here's what am using ---Go to w3schools dot com, freetutorialsus dot us(u can get paid udemy books here) probably watch vids on YouTube(the new Boston) ....all the best

(1) (Reply)

UX/UI Designer Available For Full Time, Contract Jobs And Collaboration / Is Osgi Rily The Next Big Tng On Java Server Side ? / Assist Me With This Vb6 Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.