Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,193 members, 7,811,506 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

The Truth About Christmas - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Truth About Christmas (845 Views)

Facts about Christmas. / Some Interesting Facts We Probably Dont Know About Christmas. / 5 Things About Christmas Tree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth About Christmas by fashizie(m): 11:13pm On Dec 24, 2010
Is christmas a cristmas a christain or pagan festival?I want ur views on this one with facts
Re: The Truth About Christmas by eddie30(m): 6:56am On Dec 25, 2010
Well, fashize, the Encyclopedia Americana informs us: the reason for establishing December 25 as Christmas is somewhat obscure, but it is usually held that day was chosen to correspond to pagan festivals that took place around the winter to celebrate the rebirth of the sun. The Roman festival dedicated to Saturn the God of agriculture and the renewed power of the sun forms the basis for Christmas celebration. Therefore christmas is a pagan celebration and should not be celebrated by christians!
Re: The Truth About Christmas by fashizie(m): 7:31am On Dec 25, 2010
@eddie:nice info,gez ur a Jwitness or a member of church of christ, nairalanders more infoz pls cos dis celebration is held in high esteem world over, let my people knw if its scriptural or not
Re: The Truth About Christmas by eddie30(m): 7:37am On Dec 25, 2010
@fashize, there are other facts to proof my point. Truth is bitter. Yeah. It is either you believe it or not. Do u need more proofs?
Re: The Truth About Christmas by fashizie(m): 7:40am On Dec 25, 2010
Pls If u ve dem,dish, dem.tanx
Re: The Truth About Christmas by eddie30(m): 8:12am On Dec 25, 2010
Why i say jesus was not born on december 25th is because the Bible tells us that when jesus was born, shepherds were living out of doors tending their flocks at night in the vicinity of Bethlehem (luke 2: cool the cold, rainy season usually began in october, and the shepherds in those regions in bethelem usually brought their sheep into their shelter at night and do not stay outside at night. Another reason why christians should not celebrate christmas is that : none of jesus disciples celebrated his birth, never is there such a record that any of jesus disciples celebrated his birth. If u have seen any of such record pls show me. Christmas celebration is not in harmony with the bible. Then why do it?
Re: The Truth About Christmas by fashizie(m): 8:22am On Dec 25, 2010
Ok,my nextline of tot:is celebratin xmas a sin?can it lead one to hell?assumin u beliv in heaven n hell
Re: The Truth About Christmas by manmustwac(m): 1:06pm On Dec 25, 2010
The new cycle starts in january by the time we reach june we're halfway through the cycle by september we're three quarters through then by end of december we've completed another cycle. So when we celebrate xmas we're not just celebrating a pagan celebration but also the new year which is the start of another cycle.
Re: The Truth About Christmas by eddie30(m): 7:37pm On Dec 25, 2010
@ fashize! Since christmas is not for christians and they are celebrating it, that means they are going beyond what the bible say. The penalty for such action is stated at revelation 22:18 and 1 corinthians 4:6. Such an action will lead to destruction. Why do u want to do what is not stated in the bible? And God wants us to worship him in spirit and truth according to john 4:23. By christmas celebration we are not worshiping God in spirit and truth. So, what do u think? What is your conclusion mr. Fashize?
Re: The Truth About Christmas by ElRazur: 11:06pm On Dec 25, 2010
You guys just come here to post dribble and try to present it as fact. Gosh.

Jesus wasn't born on Xmas day.

This statement cannot said to be a fact, however there are evidences that support the notion that Jesus was not born in December. The widely accepted notion was that he was born probably around October period.

fashizie:

Is christmas a cristmas a christain or pagan festival?I want your views on this one with facts

Christmas is a combination of pagan festival in some respect - Witches have festival dating back a long time that is similar to what is now celebrated as Xmas. Having said that, the whole idea of Father Christmas have basis in Christianity as it was a saint from Turkey or so that goes around doing good. If memory serves me correct, he normally put money in the shoes of poor people or something.

Also the whole red outfit father Christmas comes from Coca-cola using it in their advert from a long time and the image just stuck with people and now widely adopted.

So all in all, there are festival of different religions that are similar to Christmas, this do not make Xmas a pagan festival [i]per se [/i]but at the same time jesus is widely believe to be born around October.
Re: The Truth About Christmas by star(f): 11:46am On Dec 26, 2010
i dont think anyone is saying christ was born in december. that day is a day 'set aside to mark/celebrate d birth of jesus christ' for remembrance purpose & a season of love to mankind. whether pagans or whateva celebrate at that period, is their business. d most important thing is u or me. what's in our heart. a time of sober reflection. what's wrong in celebrating something?
Re: The Truth About Christmas by misterh(m): 3:55pm On Dec 26, 2010
So i can conclude dat xtianity is abt innovation, since pple in dia wisdom chose a day 2 celebrate a religious festival.
Re: The Truth About Christmas by Nobody: 4:23pm On Dec 26, 2010
Well the celebration of Xmas is a pagan celebration having its roots from ancient Babylonia worship of the sun god.the day 25th december is a day set aside to celebrate the birthday of the son of the sun god.
so i see it as a sin and yes i am a member of Christ embassy but don't do all the other Christians do.Back in the days protestants as we are called dont inter marry with Roman catholic.but with all these fusion of roman catholic holidays we see the church moving out of focus.the roman catholic church brought in pagan holidays to Christianity, when they made they brought in the political class into Christianity.
Well if you wana know more on the war going on for the souls of men you need to read books like the controversy of sin, here you will understand why martin Luther left the Roman church and how ever since the war is going on. cry cry cry
Re: The Truth About Christmas by otikpoko(m): 11:46am On Dec 29, 2010
Poster is certainly a Jehovah's Witness!!
Re: The Truth About Christmas by udennaa: 3:33pm On Dec 29, 2010
I read an interview by the president of CAN on this issue and i concur with his views.true,25th was paganist' day of celebration,but since satan did not create any day,and the church has chosen it as a day to celebrate the birth of christ,so be it.the reason for chosing that day could be to convert the pagans to xtianity which was not a bad idea.i think we should focus on the message of xmas n stop chasing shadow.that your denomination is against the celebration of xmas because it is not scriptural doesnt make it a sin.the sabbath day is saturday but we go to church on sundays.do u now say that going to church on sunday is sin because it is not the biblical day of worship?

(1) (Reply)

It's A Lie Ooo Tiwa Savage Is Not A Grammy Nominee But Fela Was Nominated / How Asian Oil Companies Decieved Nigeria / Bsc Geology+ Msc Petroleum Geology And No Job, What Does He Do? Please Help Him!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.