Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,647 members, 7,816,659 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman (3709 Views)

My Partner And I Dont Love Each Other But We Respect Each Other / I Hope My Decision Is Not Bad? / “I Dont Wear Pant, If My Child Makes Suspicious Money In Ghana I Wont Take” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by Tripitaka: 2:35am On Mar 27, 2020
Feminism, feminist? What does that even mean? I'm not sure I ever used that word. In fact, it doesn't form part of my vocabulary.

I'm also not for the emasculation of the man nor for the whittling down of the authority of the patriarchy, but I'm certainly against poisonous patriachy. Nature has put the man in a position of authority, but this must be dispensed within the bounds of wisdom, common sense and great sense of responsibility. After all, to whom much is given, much is expected.

There has been so much focus on female marginalization, inequality, rights, societal rejection, sexual harassment and discrimination, with all pointing to the larger society, while everyone conveniently ignores the "carnage" going on in Nigerian homes and families where the wife is practically a second class citizen.

Today, an event took place that opened my eyes to how rotten the mind of an average Nigerian man has become. A female relative called a family meeting on her husband. At the meeting she revealed that the man is a serial cheat and grossly irresponsible. She tabled how He refuses to spend time with the kids but can stay out with friends till 11pm, how He won't let her keep friends nor join associations but he has membership of 4 different clubs, how he wants unfettered access to her phone while his own phone is on face recognition. This same man didn't let her pursue an M.Sc, because he believed she would become recalcitrant and refuse to do his bidding. In his defense, the man said he adequately provides for the family and the woman should focus on raising "her" kids and not his whereabouts. According to him, as long as he provides for the family, nothing else matters. But he forgets that the cardinal role of a patriarch is "provide and protect". Protection not just against physical harm and aggression, but also against ridicule, reproach and shame from your actions and inactions. One even accused the woman of embarrassing the husband by calling for that meeting.

Then I wondered what would happen if the woman did a fraction of what she had accused the man of doing. Would people's opinion remain constant? Mind you, at this meeting of 5 men, only 1 condemned the man's infidelity, albeit in passing. One man even loudly wondered whether the wife thought the man will be sleeping with just her simply because he is married.

A man once told me "If I cheat and my wife finds out, she can go. If my wife cheats and I find out, she will go". This powerful but disgraceful statement, puts in perspective, the unenviable position of an average Nigerian wife. Helpless and ridiculed.

One would easily say "walk away", only if it was that easy in a society where the odds are stacked against her by default, where marital rape is not recognised because the man owns the woman, where a woman's honour is hugely dependent on her silence and complicity, a society where marital abuse is rationalised because the man has the right to "discipline" the wife.

In my next life, if I must be an African, I hope i don't return as a woman.

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:37am On Mar 27, 2020

Today, an event took place that opened my eyes to how rotten the mind of an average Nigerian man has become. A female relative called a family meeting on her husband. At the meeting she revealed that the man is a serial cheat and grossly irresponsible. She tabled how He refuses to spend time with the kids but can stay out with friends till 11pm, how He won't let her keep friends nor join associations but he has membership of 4 different clubs, how he wants unfettered access to her phone while his own phone is on face recognition. This same man didn't let her pursue an M.Sc, because he believed she would become recalcitrant and refuse to do his bidding. In his defense, the man said he adequately provides for the family and the woman should focus on raising "her" kids and not his whereabouts. According to him, as long as he provides for the family, nothing else matters. But he forgets that the cardinal role of a patriarch is "provide and protect". Protection not just against physical harm and aggression, but also against ridicule, reproach and shame from your actions and inactions. One even accused the woman of embarrassing the husband by calling for that meeting.
Unfortunately, these are the things our women face in this part of the world!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by sholay2011(m): 2:38am On Mar 27, 2020
Hmmm...this is just sad.

1 Like

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by creolehunt: 2:41am On Mar 27, 2020
OP, if you were a female, I would have sent you a pm.

That said, your experience is just a tip of the iceberg in what many women face in their families.
Lalasticlala

15 Likes

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by Blakjewelry(m): 4:31am On Mar 27, 2020
And my girl is here telling me can cheat and it means nothing. The truth is until girls stop making sex easy to come by this will continue.

1 Like

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by Nobody: 4:34am On Mar 27, 2020
Sad but true realities of our women. This is probably why feminism has taken totally different dimension from what it was originally meant to be...

5 Likes

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by Fanky8: 4:40am On Mar 27, 2020
[s]
lipsrsealed:

Unfortunately, these are the things our women face in this part of the world!
[/s]
Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by Nobody: 4:43am On Mar 27, 2020

2 Likes

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by cococandy(f): 6:02am On Mar 27, 2020
nor for the whittling down of the authority of the patriarchy, but I'm certainly against poisonous patriachy. Nature has put the man in a position of authority, but this must be dispensed within the bounds of wisdom, common sense and great sense of responsibility. After all, to whom much is given, much is expected
the fact that you’re still thinking like this means you’re not ready to stop being oppressed.

See you when you are ready cool

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by crackkhaus: 6:30am On Mar 27, 2020
He who pays the piper dictates the tune...

4 Likes

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by Tripitaka: 8:20am On Mar 27, 2020
crackkhaus:
He who pays the piper dictates the tune...
Probably so. Main reason I question the symbolism of the bride price system. Subjugation or domination over wives is reflected right from the process of contracting a marriage whereby a man pays a bride price for his wife hence making her his personal property acquisition. The bride price for me symbolizes outright act of transfer of woman’s rights from her family to spouse’s family.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by Nobody: 8:42am On Mar 27, 2020
And a feminist in 2020 Who thinks men are Toxic is definitely not the same animal as a feminist in 1975 who were truly fighting for something worthwhile.
There's Nothing worse than a male feminist.
Only 7% women in the world would class themselves as feminists#Fact.

1 Like

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by Mizwisdom(f): 9:01am On Mar 27, 2020
If someone throws a blow in your face your reflex should make you dodge only an idiot will expose his face to be hit by it. It seems the woman in question has decided to deliberately make herself a victim. You don't enter a marriage without discussing these things. It's highly important for every woman to have a means of income, you don't sit and rely on a man's own 100%, that's where part of the problem is starting from. Secondly, as her husband has chosen to be a public Dog what is she doing to protect herself so that she can live long to take care of those kids? hope she has stopped all sexual relationship with him or at least ensures he uses a condom? if she's empowered she can seek solace in her family's house, it's better than being infected with a disease that might lead to her death
Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by Biglittlelois(f): 9:51am On Mar 27, 2020
This is a sad reality for wives who wants to remain unhappy for the rest of their life so enough with the complaints, there are choices one has to make, its either they take the bull by the horn or they look the other way,

Personally I've made up my mind never to pity women in situations like this anymore, I mean, why will a human watch as she's been tormented and treated as trash? She should carry her cross or leave, simple as that.

6 Likes

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by SweetCunt97(f): 9:57am On Mar 27, 2020
Blakjewelry:
And my girl is here telling me can cheat and it means nothing. The truth is until girls stop making sex easy to come by this will continue.
You not even getting the point bro. This has nothing to do with easy sex
Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by oyoolima: 10:10am On Mar 27, 2020
Bride price should be abolished but there are a lot of kind, stable Nigerian men who despite paying bride price do not treat their wives as chattel and see their wives as equal partners.or whatever formula that works for them.

A decent human being will keep being decent no matter what.

Besides, marriage is going out of fashion, hopefully it will be abolished soon too so we can have a society where people can co parent peacefully if they choose to procreate ,people who want monogamy will choose themselves while the rest will remain free for all.

End result will be lack of frustration for all parties.

1 Like

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by Tripitaka: 10:50am On Mar 27, 2020
Mizwisdom:
Secondly, as her husband has chosen to be a public Dog what is she doing to protect herself so that she can live long to take care of those kids? hope she has stopped all sexual relationship with him or at least ensures he uses a condom?

This right here is part of my grouse. If the woman were to become a "public dog" would the man be advised to "protect" himself or just kick her out? Would the man be advised to just ignore her and focus on his kids? Would the man be advised to pray for her? Double standards much?

I have seen a woman become very self-critical and easily guilted into being responsible for her partner's irresponsibility and both accepting excuses from them and making excuses for them.

Trust me, this goes beyond having a career and job. The woman I referenced in my OP came from an upper middle class family and well informed but somehow she feels she can't leave nd I totally understand. There can be a primal feeling in a woman's body that she is safer with a man by her side, sometimes even if the man, in reality, is hurting her life. Crazy stuff.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by Blakjewelry(m): 10:55am On Mar 27, 2020
SweetCunt97:
You not even getting the point bro. This has nothing to do with easy sex
Yes dear it all has do with sex. Even the societal held view here has to do it I even wanted to open a thread some time ago about the popular view that man is a cheat by nature yes true but they forget same apply to women. I believe the same we see beauty ladies everyday and get attracted so they see handsome men every day and get attracted too but will never act even when approached because of the rules set by the society and not by nature. In the West a woman can choose to stay alone and entertain male as much as she want and no one will raise an eyelid but down here only men are allowed such luxury so its still had to with sex.

Now back to the reason I talked about easy, now in the most ladies won't want to date once they discovered you are married except maybe except the tension has been building up for quite some time but down here you married going out with different girls who knows he is married and don't care, so he sees less use for the wife because he knows she is easily replaceable.

As for other aspects discuss, I think women should learn to make their stand before marriage. Any man who doesn't want you to earn your own income is trying to put you in a stop where he can control you for life
Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by Blakjewelry(m): 10:59am On Mar 27, 2020
Tripitaka:

Probably so. Main reason I question the symbolism of the bride price system. Subjugation or domination over wives is reflected right from the process of contracting a marriage whereby a man pays a bride price for his wife hence making her his personal property acquisition. The bride price for me symbolizes outright act of transfer of woman’s rights from her family to spouse’s family.
Who is going to do abolishment? The same men dominated so society or the ignorant folks who will think you want to destroy their custom

3 Likes

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by LordKO(m): 10:59am On Mar 27, 2020
It's unfortunate that a woman's at the receiving end in this instance. Truth, however, is that penchant for subjugation/oppression doesn't know gender - there're women who've penchant for subjugation/been subjugating their husbands since time immemorial, just as there're men who've been doing so towards their wives too.

We can only argue about the gender on the higher/lower side of either the receiving or meting end of subjugation. In fact, citing the psychological profile/mentality of most people (males and females) in this forum, I tell you without equivocation that more than 95 percent have penchant for subjugation. So, it's a matter of this percentage being in an advantageous position to perpetrate it, for those who aren't doing it already, towards their spouses.

Small-minded people and subjugation are inseparable. The least thing to expect from an egoistic (greedy or selfish or self-centered) and/or conceited/imperious/chauvinistic person is fairness, even though they always crave it from others when they're at a disadvantageous position.

12 Likes

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by Blakjewelry(m): 11:05am On Mar 27, 2020
Tripitaka:

This right here is part of my grouse. If the woman were to become a "public dog" would the man be advised to "protect" himself or just kick her out? Would the man be advised to just ignore her and focus on his kids? Would the man be advised to pray for her? Double standards much?

I have seen a woman become very self-critical and easily guilted into being responsible for her partner's irresponsibility and both accepting excuses from them and making excuses for them.

Trust me, this goes beyond having a career and job. The woman I referenced in my OP came from an upper middle class family and well informed but somehow she feels she can't leave nd I totally understand. There can be a primal feeling in a woman's body that she is safer with a man by her side, sometimes even if the man, in reality, is hurting her life. Crazy stuff.
I won't say it an Innate thing but rather what the society impose on them. Why is it that it is easy for a woman to walk in the western world than here. Living without a man In Nigeria create some kind of stigma in Nigeria, it takes a lot to break out and be free.

4 Likes

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by crackkhaus: 11:43am On Mar 27, 2020
Tripitaka:

Good one.

At least you're objective enough to see how cultural undertones have a big part to play.
Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by thorpido(m): 11:56am On Mar 27, 2020
Yeah,it's tough for a Nigerian woman So much crazy s#it a woman is subjected to.

Marriage is not the all in all(though it's a beautiful thing with the right person).
A woman should hold her own,have a source of income and a good self-esteem.
Most importantly,have wisdom to choose when it comes to marriage.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by urcutecrush(f): 12:06pm On Mar 27, 2020
Sadly that is the norm for Nigerian men.I have come to the realization that 95% of Nigerian man cheats.

If you marry a Nigerian man be prepared to go through hell because his family and friends will always support his cheating habits and the saddest part the woman’s family too will never advice her to leave just tell her pray,Look good and don’t Nag.

Most Women in marriages are suffering and smiling or have become use to the abuse and are desensitized.

Let’s be realistic if you don’t have the opportunity of getting married to someone not raised with this Norm and values or best not raised in Nigeria then the best you can do for your emotional health as a woman is to marry a man who respects you and will most likely take his cheating far from you and makes you think he does not cheat but in your deepest mind you know he does.

The signs are there while dating.They are always there.

1 Like

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by djon78(m): 12:52pm On Mar 27, 2020
urcutecrush:
Sadly that is the norm for Nigerian men.I have come to the realization that 95% of Nigerian man cheats.

If you marry a Nigerian man be prepared to go through hell because his family and friends will always support his cheating habits and the saddest part the woman’s family too will never advice her to leave just tell her pray,Look good and don’t Nag.

Most Women in marriages are suffering and smiling or have become use to the abuse and are desensitized.

Let’s be realistic if you don’t have the opportunity of getting married to someone not raised with this Norm and values or best not raised in Nigeria then the best you can do for your emotional health as a woman is to marry a man who respects you and will most likely take his cheating far from you and makes you think he does not cheat but in your deepest mind you know he does.

The signs are there while dating.They are always there.

I may not believe your assumptions.

You will be surprised to know that there are many men that are not into extra marital affairs. Very many men out there.

But the problem is that majority of the time you people expose yourself to the worst of men and then you come up with unverified claims.
That you are exposed to the worst does not mean there are not good men out there.

Its justw like saying that all women are slut.s Because of what some women do, but that's not true, there are exceptionally very good women out there. Depends on what you see.

5 Likes

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by LilMissFavvy(f): 1:40pm On Mar 27, 2020
Too bad, I laugh at women who condemn feminism. Some of them need a brain check, the wife of this man most likely could be one of those ladies who mock the feminism movement, shame, now she is having a taste of the pudding, which most of the evilllll blackkkk men have to offer in marriages.

Gradually, the tables will definitely turn, IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME!

6 Likes

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by zmpp(f): 2:12pm On Mar 27, 2020
Fanky8:
[s][/s]

The person behind that moniker has suffered in the hands of you and your group. What did he do wrong?
Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by Nobody: 2:20pm On Mar 27, 2020
Tables are not turning any where, even in the western world feminism is on the decline, feminism is being exposed for the monster it truly is ,get updated.
LilMissFavvy:
Too bad, I laugh at women who condemn feminism. Some of them need a brain check, the wife of this man most likely could be one of those ladies who mock the feminism movement, shame, now she is having a taste of the pudding, which most of the evilllll blackkkk men have to offer in marriages.

Gradually, the tables will definitely turn, IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by urcutecrush(f): 2:20pm On Mar 27, 2020
djon78:

I may not believe your assumptions.

You will be surprised to know that there are many men that are not into extra marital affairs. Very many men out there.

But the problem is that majority of the time you people expose yourself to the worst of men and then you come up with unverified claims.
That you are exposed to the worst does not mean there are not good men out there.

Its justw like saying that all women are slut.s Because of what some women do, but that's not true, there are exceptionally very good women out there. Depends on what you see.
Good men cheat in Nigeria.Men that will go to any length to get the best for their family.

Sending their children to the best schools and always getting the best for their wives.
They still cheat.

Will she leave a man who does everything for his family but his only vice is cheating? He is a good father as well.

If she leave who will pay the school fees?the house rent?the foodstuff?the toys?light bills?Transportation?

Will the family let her go with the children?If she leave her children they will definitely grow up hating her.

I am not exposed to the worst but am telling you why it is not always easy to leave.

Good people change too.

3 Likes

Re: I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman by Nobody: 2:24pm On Mar 27, 2020
Most times women make wrong choices when it comes to marriage and later come to cry foul.
They do not know how to choose the right man

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How God Save Me From Running Mad / My Father's wife / Men! What's Happening To Your Birthright?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.