Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

The Shadow Of A Known Past - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Shadow Of A Known Past (416 Views)

In Need Of A Ken Wiwa Book 'in The Shadow Of A Saint' Ebook / Ghost Of The Past (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Shadow Of A Known Past by Sommypan(m): 2:40am On Mar 28, 2020
"Hello, my Cherry. It's me, your old-time lover. I know, I know, you've missed me. I've missed you too. But don't you worry, my pretty Cherry, I'm back to fulfill all your dark fantasies."

Linda could not stop shaking after she read the message; she had woken up to ease herself, and afterwards could not go back to sleep. She'd picked up her phone, wanting to check the time when she noticed the message notification. It was from an unknown number, but she knew who it was immediately she finished reading it.

She looked across the bed at her husband of three years. She forced herself not to let out a whimper of terror as she knew that Dubem her husband would wake up and try to know why she was shaken. He was such a light sleeper and Linda would not be surprised if he was already awake.

Such a good man, she thought. Never for once had he pestered me about having sex since we've been together. She recalled how their relationship started; he'd been her best friend right from her third year in school. Then he was in his final year. But he made his feelings for her known to her when she was on her youth service program. She'd been ambivalent because on one hand she loved him too; and on the other hand, she loathed sex, something people in relationships could not do without.

Yet when she gave him the only condition in which she would date him, he'd readily agreed, as if it was never his intention to bed her. And for the whole time they've been together, they'd never gone beyond the chaste kiss—just a mere touch of their lips. Sometimes she imagined—such as now—that he had a mistress outside, a very beautiful lady, with the curves, big ass and ample breasts she did not have, fulfilling all his sexual needs. And just like every other time she'd thought about it, she discovered that she was fine with him getting some action outside their cold bed. As long as he never falls in love with her (or them, she included), I'm okay with it.

Suddenly her phone rang in the silent room; the familiar voice of Sia piercing the eerie quietness of the room as she began the opening lines of One Million Bullets.

Linda frightfully pressed her volume buttons, silencing the device, and praying that Dubem would not wake up. He stirred, turned, yawned, and finally faced the wall, with his back to her. She let out the breath she did not know she was holding, as she looked at the phone's screen to discover that it was the same person who had sent her the text.

She willed herself to end the call, or to allow it go into voicemail, but she found herself standing up, opening the door of their bedroom and creeping out.

He'd been awake for a while before she went to ease herself. When she returned, he was surprised that she was still awake few minutes later. That was very unusual of Linda who normally slept like a log. He usually teased her that one day she would be sleeping and he would take her outside their bedroom and she wouldn't even budge.

He opened his eyes a bit, saw her with her phone and felt her sharp intake of breath. It was probably what he'd been suspecting all along. Linda, his beautiful and lovely wife was having an affair with another man. It was that simple. Yes, she was the one who told him that they would not have sex while they were dating, and he understood her reasons. She was a well-bred Christian girl who wanted to wait for marriage before getting intimate with anyone. But they've been married for three years, how did she cope without making love with her husband if she was not getting some action outside?

As he thought about it, he knew that he was not angry with his wife for satisfying herself outside their home, but he was in sorrow because he knew that it was life that forced him to be the way he was; it was cruel, sadistic life that made him sick, sick to the point that he would never make love to his wife.

Then her phone rang, and she frightfully silenced the piece of technology. Dubem tossed, yawned and turned to face the wall. He could not bear to watch his wife in such a state of sinful glee that she had to hold her breath.

As she left the room, a single tear dropped on his pillow.

Read more ➡️
https://www.thezenpens.com/2020/03/28/the-shadow-of-a-known-past/

(1) (Reply)

FADING Away....a Short Story / Amazon Stops Supporting Kindle Content In Africa / Deleted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.