Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Mechanic Roundtable - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mechanic Roundtable (72806 Views)

Fakuade, Taiwo Ojo, Others To Speak On Ekiti Knowledge Zone At Efa Roundtable / Mechanic Roundtable Talk For Master Brake & ABS / Some Mechanics Cannot Make Heaven - Read AIT's Presenter Ordeal With A Mechanic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 11:16pm On Apr 02, 2020
Good day house this is Ayodele Bishop of B-Automobile Nigeria Limited. We are going to be attending to car problems and giving out ideas and we will be dropping tips on car maintenance.

4 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by chival(f): 11:30pm On Apr 02, 2020
Nice. Thanks for doing this. My car's check engine light came on a few weeks ago. Took it to my mechanic who couldn't find anything wrong with it, but I serviced it all the same. He disabled the light. Two days before the lockdown, the light came on again. Many people have told me it's no big deal, but it still bothers me. The car runs well.

2 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 11:37pm On Apr 02, 2020
Car cooling system contains
Radiator & radiator cap
Coolant Reservoir
Radiator hose
Thermostat
Cooling fan
Coolant (50% anti freeze and 50% water)
Water pump
Temperature guage

This is the most ridiculous cause of car break down in Nigeria.
How will you feel if your cars start jerking and goes off?
Smoke coming out of the hood, burning smell.
This kind of issue happens on a daily, and it is something we ignore.

The first thing to check is your coolant level before you drive out everyday.
If there is low coolant, check for leakages.
To new car owners never let any road side mechanic remove your thermostat for any reason.
And if there is no leakages, probably you are having an overheating issues that tend tends to deteriorate over time.

Now the water pump is what forces the coolant through passages in the engine to absorb heat. The pump is driven by a belt that needs replacement from time to time. And the water pump will eventually wear out and need to be replaced. Spending some cash on replacing the belts and water pump is much less than the cost of repairing the extremely expensive damage that can be done when an engine seizes.

Radiator cap needs to be change also from time to time

3 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 11:39pm On Apr 02, 2020
chival:
Nice. Thanks for doing this. My 2002 Camry's check engine light came on a few weeks ago. Took it to my mechanic who couldn't find anything wrong with it, but I serviced it all the same. He disabled the light. Two days before the lockdown, the light came on again. Many people have told me it's no big deal, but it still bothers me. The car runs well.

Check engine light points to some many things maam. Until a proper diagnosis is run I can't point to where the problem is.

2 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by legalwealth(m): 1:08am On Apr 03, 2020
Nice thread
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by chival(f): 1:35am On Apr 03, 2020
Blackbishop:

Check engine light points to some many things maam. Until a proper diagnosis is run I can't point to where the problem is.
Alright, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by yinkaoke(f): 12:45pm On Apr 03, 2020
Good day good people. Please how much is tokunbo back bumper for 2006 Toyota Corolla?

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 3:22pm On Apr 03, 2020
yinkaoke:
Good day good people. Please how much is tokunbo back bumper for 2006 Toyota Corolla?

Like I said earlier the front goes for 15k
So the back should be between 10k to 12k tokunbo not padded

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 4:37pm On Apr 03, 2020
If you are having issues with your engine, this are the most common engine problems, this post should help!

When your engine fails, it isn’t a good thing. Not only will your car be down, but it can be hard to diagnose and even harder to repair.
The most common issues includes

*Missing or loose gas cap
*Worn out spark plugs
*Dirty or clogged radiator
*Loss of engine compression
*Faulty or worn out Oxygen sensor
*Spark Knock - which if left for long can cause serious damage to the engine
*oil pump failure
*Dirty oil or oil shortage
*Poor Lubrication of moving parts
*Bad Air/Fuel mixture

Once you notice any of the above problem, you need to pay attention, cause they tends to affect each other in a way that result in total engine failure.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by yinkaoke(f): 5:15pm On Apr 03, 2020
Thanks @ blackbishop how much is new one and what do u mean by padded? How much is padded please

Blackbishop:

Like I said earlier the front goes for 15k
So the back should be between 10k to 12k tokunbo not padded
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 6:52pm On Apr 03, 2020
yinkaoke:
Thanks @ blackbishop how much is new one and what do u mean by padded? How much is padded please

Padded are those bumper already worked on...
The price I gave you are uk used ones.

2 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by RealSleek(m): 9:14pm On Apr 03, 2020
Thanks boss for fixing my car today... it’s as good as new.. id recommend him to anyone.. bless up bro
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by kernniejay(m): 10:32pm On Apr 03, 2020
Let me come and pitch my tent here.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 2:59am On Apr 04, 2020
kernniejay:
Let me come and pitch my tent here.

You re welcome boss
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 10:42am On Apr 04, 2020
Check this out

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 9:45pm On Apr 04, 2020
What is your transmission fluid colour saying about your transmission system?

The transmission system/gear system is the central nervous system of the car. Without it you can't move the car which renders it immobile. So the transmission fluid speaks volume about your gear.

Check out the chart below

3 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by ZhyonKross(m): 6:37am On Apr 05, 2020
Please kindly help, my Nissan primers is giving me headaches I changed the Airflow metre, and the machanic worked on the engine and discovered that the catalysts has been tempered with so I had to change it and ever since it's been bringing black smoke and small fuel when ever I'm driving I don't know what else to do please brothers kindly help me... Ever since that, the car consume more fuel than before please help me
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:42am On Apr 05, 2020
ZhyonKross:
Please kindly help, my Nissan primers is giving me headaches I changed the Airflow metre, and the machanic worked on the engine and discovered that the catalysts has been tempered with so I had to change it and ever since it's been bringing black smoke and small fuel when ever I'm driving I don't know what else to do please brothers kindly help me... Ever since that, the car consume more fuel than before please help me

Good morning boss, Consuming more fuel and bringing out fuel when driving are consistent with a bad fuel injector or harness around the fuel injector, but I will need to diagnose to ascertain the true fault sir

3 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by ZhyonKross(m): 1:25pm On Apr 05, 2020
Blackbishop:

Good morning boss, Consuming more fuel and bringing out fuel when driving are consistent with a bad fuel injector or harness around the fuel injector, but I will need to diagnose to ascertain the true fault sir

Thank you will do that tomorrow morning sir

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 11:59pm On Apr 05, 2020
Timing Belt or Chain

The timing belt/chain is an internal engine component that rotates the engine's camshaft and crankshaft in sync and ensures each cylinder fires at the appropriate time.

Listed below are a few common symptoms that might indicate that your timing belt is wearing out or has broken –

1. Ticking noise coming from the engine
2. Engine won't turn over
3. Engine misfires
4. Oil leaking from in front of the motor

When you notice any or all of the symptoms call the attention of your auto tech.

In many cases, the timing belt will break while the engine is running. Some of the typical damage done to a vehicle with a broken timing belt includes damage to cylinder head hardware (rocker arms, push rods or valves), damage to crank bearings or the oil pump inside the oil pan.

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by ciggy000(m): 6:18pm On Apr 06, 2020
Good evening Blackbishop
Thanks for creating such an informative thread and also wish you could suggest something here....
My civic 06 usually jerks when changing gear from 1 to 2 and I had the D light blinking. Recently when I put the gear on D it moves for some split second and stop while the engine revs high but the reverse gear works fine. I got a mechanic who changed the transmission oil but the problem persists. I had to get the vehicle scanned and it pulled out P0776 stating pressure control solenoid B performance or stuck off. What could be the possible implication of this and way forward thanks.

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by rbox(m): 6:59pm On Apr 06, 2020
Pls how much is the cost of Toyota Camry 1999- 2000. Aka Tiny Light. TOKUNBO BORALE Engine and complete full engine for plugs

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:10pm On Apr 06, 2020
ciggy000:
Good evening Blackbishop
Thanks for creating such an informative thread and also wish you could suggest something here....
My civic 06 usually jerks when changing gear from 1 to 2 and I had the D light blinking. Recently when I put the gear on D it moves for some split second and stop while the engine revs high but the reverse gear works fine. I got a mechanic who changed the transmission oil but the problem persists. I had to get the vehicle scanned and it pulled out P0776 stating pressure control solenoid B performance or stuck off. What could be the possible implication of this and way forward thanks.

Good evening boss, these are possible causes of the P0776
Low transmission fluid level
Dirty transmission fluid
Faulty line pressure solenoid 'B' valve
Line pressure solenoid 'B' valve harness is open or short
solenoid 'B' valve circuit poor electrical connection

The way forward
Replace faulty electrical components
Replace the transmission fluid if dirty

Hope that answer your question sir

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:11pm On Apr 06, 2020
rbox:
Pls how much is the cost of Toyota Camry 1999- 2000. Aka Tiny Light. TOKUNBO BORALE Engine and complete full engine for plugs

Do you mind chatting me up on WhatsApp to discuss at length.

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 8:56pm On Apr 06, 2020
THERMOSTAT

Any liquid-cooled car engine has a small device called the thermostat that sits between the engine and the radiator. Its job is to block the flow of coolant to the radiator until the engine has warmed up. When the engine is cold, no coolant flows through the engine. Once the engine reaches its operating temperature (generally about 200 degrees F, 95 degrees C), the thermostat opens. By letting the engine warm up as quickly as possible, the thermostat reduces engine wear, deposits and emissions.

Effects of removing the thermostat

Engine will run cooler in the hot weather than designed for - this may cause incomplete combustion and primarily cause way more pollution products - followed by fouling spark plugs and other components. Potentially also loss of performance and loss of fuel economy

Running too cold besides fuel economy is lower lubrication efficacy. At really cold the oil may be so thick it may damage pistons and cylinders linings thus shortening the lifespan of the engine.

Don't allow road side mechanic convince you to remove that thermostat. It has a very good purpose

5 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:50am On Apr 08, 2020
https://www.facebook.com/B-Automobile-Nigeria-Limited-113169980343117/

Interact with a mechanic 24/7... Just click on the page and drop your questions.

B-Automobile Nigeria Limited
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:24pm On Apr 09, 2020
Vehicle Exhaust Colors And What They Mean

Color plays important role in both driving and auto maintenance. Just as when driving gren means go or good, yellow mean caution or slow and red means stop or danger. Just like we discussed the importance of your dashboard lightings and their level of importance, so what does the color of your vehicle exhaust means?

Here is a list of four (4) different exhaust colors and what they could mean(This is mainly for gasoline engines)

1. Light or Thin White Exhaust Smoke
This is consider normal to most Nigerian car owners or drivers, when the exhaust coming from the tail pipe of your vehicle is light or thin white. This is just mainly water vapor. You will notice it when you first start your vehicle, especially on cold days. The reason for this exhaust is that condensation collects naturally in the exhaust system.This common in all gasoline vehicles.

2. Blue or Gray Exhaust Smoke
This is not normal for any vehicle to have an exhaust blue/gray smoke coming from the tail pipe. This type of exhaust usually indicates that you have an oil leak and the engine is burning oil. Most likely caused byan oil leak, such as worn cylinder wall, leaking valve seal, or damaged piston rings.

When you have blue smoke at acceleration, the problem is most likely with the piston rings.

If its during acceleration, the blue smoke like indicates that the cylinder head valve guides are damaged.

In either case your auto technician attention is needed for proper diagnosis

3. Black Exhaust

This is another bad indicator for your vehicle. Black smoke indicates that your vehicle is burning too much fuel. Several things could cause this to happen, like a blocked manifold, clogged air filter, a malfunctioning fuel injector system, amongst many other possible problems.

4. Continual, Thick White/Gray Exhaust Smoke

A continual stream of white/gray colored exhaust smoke from the tail pipe of your vehicle is not normal and likely means you have a leaking Head gasket. Which is making the coolant making its way into the combustion chambers and blown out the exhaust as the engine starts. In conclusion this is an indicator of overheated engine.
Another possible cause will be a craked cylinder head or block, both of which are serious problems that needs correcting right away.

Ignoring any sign coming from your exhaust could result in very expensive damage.

We just dont repair, we care.

2 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 6:24pm On Apr 10, 2020
Sensors

We will be talking about car sensors, fault and possible cause and solutions.
Almost all modern car engines use a lot of different car sensors to gather the right information to calculate a perfect air fuel mixture for the best fuel economy in all situations.

The Intake Air Temperature
The intake air temperature sensor measures the air temperature flowing into your car’s cylinders through the intake pipes. It is often integrated with your MAF sensor, but it can also be externally fitted on your intake pipes, at the manifold or close to the air filter box.

A failed Intake Air Temperature Sensor will give some of these problems.

1. Poor fuel economy
2. Affects EGR valve
3. Hard cold start condition
4. Drop in acceleration

Possible OBDII code are P0112 or P0113

Solution.
Replace the IAT sensor or check the harness to be sure of no damaged harness.

3 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by louizzzz: 6:34pm On Apr 10, 2020
Good Day Bishop,

Need your suggestion on the following below:

Rav 4, 2002 came out with these codes
P0300
P0301
P0141
P0161
P0750
P1135
P1155

It jerks atimes when it wants to change gear and other times its smooth. Worked on the brain box but was told it has affected the gear box and will have to change the gear box.

Another mechanic is saying no, that he will clean the transmission filter (never heard of that) and service/change the shift A selenoid.
Noticed an increase in fuel consumption.

Please whats your take or suggestion on the way foward. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by twinskenny(m): 8:48pm On Apr 10, 2020
Blackbishop:

i need your contact.. my rx 300 need some work
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 9:29pm On Apr 10, 2020
louizzzz:
Good Day Bishop,

Need your suggestion on the following below:

Rav 4, 2002 came out with these codes
P0300
P0301
P0141
P0161
P0750
P1135
P1155

It jerks atimes when it wants to change gear and other times its smooth. Worked on the brain box but was told it has affected the gear box and will have to change the gear box.

Another mechanic is saying no, that he will clean the transmission filter (never heard of that) and service/change the shift A selenoid.
Noticed an increase in fuel consumption.

Please whats your take or suggestion on the way foward. Thanks

Good day sir

P0300 - Random Cylinder misfire condition.
Causes
. Faulty spark plugs
. Faulty ignition coils
. Clogged or faulty fuel injector
. Fuel injector circuit poor electrical connection or harness open or shortened

Which will cause one or more of this;
Lack or loss of power
Hard start
Engine hesitation
What we need to do is a general checking or total replacement of the ignition coils and spark plugs. Then O-Ring servcing

P0301 - is just the cylinder 1. Which the previous code is pointing to now. That the cylinder one needs attention, what I will suggest here is to change the coil on cylinder one to cylinder three and rescan if the error repeat itself on cylinder three then you have it to be coil to be the problem, but if it's still on cylinder one, then change the plug. If the problem still persist then we move to the injector.

P0141 - H02 (Oxygen sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2)
Possible causes
Faulty O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2
O2 sensor circuit faulty
Faulty Engine control module (ECM)

Possible issues include:
Possible higher than normal fuel consumption
Check engine light

P0161 - O2 sensor rear same as the P0141
But the possible causes in this includes
Faulty O2 sensor or circuit
Inappropriate fuel pressure
Faulty fuel injectors
Intake air leaks
Exhaust gas leakage

P0750 - Shift Solenoid 'A' Malfunction
Let me explain this in simple way as possible, the shift solenoid valve A is controlled by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signal sent from the park/neutral position (P N P) switch, vehicle speed & engine control module (ECM), throttle position sensor (TPS). Gear will then be shifted to the optimum position.

Possible cause
. Low transmission fluid level
. Dirty transmission fluid
. Faulty shift solenoid A valve
. Faulty shift solenoid A harness or connector

Possible issues you might experience are
Transmission will not shift gears
Overheating of the transmission system

P1135 and P1155 - Air/fuel ratio sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1

The possible cause for this is the A/F sensor or the circuit and likely cause but rare is the Engine control module (ECM)
Hope I answered your questions, if you have more questions you can get through to me on my WhatsApp: 08055347947

4 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 9:30pm On Apr 10, 2020
twinskenny:

i need your contact.. my rx 300 need some work

You can get through to me on my digits: 08055347947

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

Nigerians React As Dubai Police Flaunt Their Exotic Luxurious Police Cars / Photos Of Innoson Vehicles Purchased By UNIZIK / Guys Buy Car For Their Friend After Getting Tired Of Picking Him Up With Theirs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.