Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,957 members, 7,952,849 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:37 AM

Is New Year Overrated - Events (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Is New Year Overrated (4299 Views)

Is This Concept "Birthday" Overrated??? / Why Is New Year Mostly Celebrated By Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is New Year Overrated by InkedNerd(f): 1:34am On Jan 01, 2011
As far as I'm concerned, its no different from any other day. Just because some people lost their lives doesn't change anything.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Sagamite(m): 1:35am On Jan 01, 2011
Double N:

Not for me too! If you look back on the year and see how much you have accomplished and how many close shaves you have had with death,you will indeed be grateful to God. Baba God Adupe!

What is so wonderful about the world we live in that you have to give thanks for remaining in it?  undecided

Just a thought! It is a philosophical question that runs through my mind sometimes and I am trying to conjure a view of since religious people use it as a tool to demand appreciation.

"The idea of bringing someone into this world fills me with horror, May my flesh perish utterly! May I never transmit to anyone the boredom and ignominies of existence!" - Gustave Flaubert

"Sleep is lovely, death is better still, not to have been born is of course the miracle." - Heinrich Heine

"Why is it that we rejoice at a birth and grieve at a funeral? It is because we are not the person involved." - Mark Twain

"In accordance with my conception of life, I have chosen not to bring children into the world. A coin is examined, and only after careful deliberation, given to a beggar, whereas a child is flung out into the cosmic brutality without hesitation." - Zapffe

"I further observed all the oppression that goes under the sun: the tears of the oppressed, with none to comfort them; and the power of their oppressors—with none to comfort them. Then I accounted those who died long since more fortunate than those who are still living; and happier than both are those who have not yet come into being and have never witnessed the miseries that go under the sun." - Biblical book of Qohelet

"It is best not to have been born at all: but, if born, as quickly as possible to return whence one came." - Sophocles

"If the act of procreation were neither the outcome of a desire nor accompanied by feelings of pleasure, but a matter to be decided on the basis of purely rational considerations, is it likely the human race would still exist? Would each of us not rather have felt so much pity for the coming generation as to prefer to spare it the burden of existence, or at least not wish to take it upon himself to impose that burden upon it in cold blood?" - Schopenhauer

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I am not anti-natalist, but I am fascinated by the views of the philosophers that are. They do have a point.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by kabukabu50(m): 1:39am On Jan 01, 2011
I hope we dont have any more degenerate questions like this in 2011

Re: Is New Year Overrated by Sagamite(m): 1:54am On Jan 01, 2011
Ayowumie:

To many pipu, new year and festive periods ar usually over rated. It is been over rated wen u go borrowin to celebrate.

For me, evry new yr signals a new sigh of hope and waves of xpectatn. Wit dis comes songs of tnx to Almaity. Technically, there is no difrence in d make up of d days, it is stil d same 24 hrs per day and 7 days/wk but psychologically, dere is a feelin of xcitemnt dat tends to tel a man 'tnk God u ar alive, there is hope'. Ultimately 4 me, new yr means growth and advncmnt. It is worth all d celebratn and jubilatn. It is past 9 in naija wail it is past 12 in dubai, taiwan and hongkon. Hapy new year in advnce to Nigerians

May the Lord bless you in the new year with the mental fortitude, diligence and hard work to write/type in good and correct English which actually does not take much more effort than the crap way you currently post.

What extra effort does it take to type every instead of evry?

What extra effort does it take to type expectation instead of xpectatn?

What extra effort does it take to type still instead of stil?

What extra effort does it take to type advancement instead of advncmnt?

May this year be the year you drop your mental laziness. Amen!
Re: Is New Year Overrated by MUZBO(m): 2:21am On Jan 01, 2011
New year day and all d 365 day crap is scientific fact that has been drilled into our psychology and accepted religiously! Why can't 1st of June be the new year day? For the same reason why 1+1 can equal 3 if we were taught to count as 1,3,2,4,5. . .its just one of the few times in life when science and religion share common ground! Its not different from any other day really
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Nobody: 2:44am On Jan 01, 2011
No. I am not religious (I do believe in God tho) but I do believe that people should be and show that they are happy and grateful for their living to see another year (messed up tho if they died 1/1/(enter year here)). Christmas to me is actually what is washed up and played out. tongue Santa is too busy collecting his section 8 check and drinking his Vodka lol. Times are too hard for all of that, x-mas ish! angry

Wait where was I? oh yea! No. New years is not overrated!
Re: Is New Year Overrated by 1stknight(m): 4:33am On Jan 01, 2011
my new year is equals to my birthday
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Nobody: 7:12am On Jan 01, 2011
^^Happy birthday/New Years smiley (i think)
Re: Is New Year Overrated by maclatunji: 8:45am On Jan 01, 2011
The fact that the Government and the corporate world observe the new year makes it significant for you as a manager or employee. However, the other palava people put themselves through in Nigeria is unnecessary. The western world that brought the concept to us know it has no spiritual significance. Hence, they mark it with firework displays mostly. In Nigeria, our people display symptoms of underdevelopment: perpetually afraid of dying young and poverty, our people think they can change their lot with aggressive prayer and shouting on the eve of JANUARY 1. Our current state of affairs will tell you if this approach is effective.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 01, 2011
Considering the fact that I was in traffic from 9m till 12:40Am this morning, from last year to newyear
Re: Is New Year Overrated by daboyz(m): 11:51am On Jan 01, 2011
i sincerely hope that everyone of us will cultivate the habit of showing gratitude to god for seeing another beautiful day even as we revere and are basking away in the euphoria of witnessing the beginning of just another year.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by natural101(m): 12:39pm On Jan 01, 2011
1stknight:

my new year is equals to my birthday
happy birthday to you and a prosperous newyear
Re: Is New Year Overrated by natural101(m): 12:45pm On Jan 01, 2011
MUZBO:

New year day and all d 365 day crap is scientific fact that has been drilled into our psychology and accepted religiously! Why can't 1st of June be the new year day? For the same reason why 1+1 can equal 3 if we were taught to count as 1,3,2,4,5. . .its just one of the few times in life when science and religion share common ground! Its not different from any other day really

yes!! science and religion share a lot in common, but the impact of science makes it a unique case and it is worth celebrating
Re: Is New Year Overrated by 1stknight(m): 2:12pm On Jan 01, 2011
grin
natural101:

happy birthday to you and a prosperous newyear
Re: Is New Year Overrated by 1stknight(m): 2:31pm On Jan 01, 2011
grin atleast i knw dat on my birthday i'll be 365/366 days older and dat is equivalent to january 1 2010 to january 1 2011, so plz wish me hapi new year on my biteday.

'Nyways happy new year 2 u all
Re: Is New Year Overrated by MUZBO(m): 3:43pm On Jan 01, 2011
natural101:

yes!! science and religion share a lot in common, but the impact of science makes it a unique case and it is worth celebrating
yea, but who chooses the point where it becomes the new year?? Why can't Feb 28 be the new year or June 12? Afterall it is d movement of the earth from one point to the other right? Its like any other day really.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by An0nimus: 4:37pm On Jan 01, 2011
jus not over rated for me, I dont go over the top like some folk do but at least am grateful for it.
MUZBO:

yea, but who chooses the point where it becomes the new year?? Why can't Feb 28 be the new year or June 12? Afterall it is d movement of the earth from one point to the other right? Its like any other day really.
thats how we've known time to be counted.why cant 61secs make 1 minute? undecided
Re: Is New Year Overrated by joshelen(m): 7:50pm On Jan 01, 2011
when you move from one school level to the other, you kind of celebrate the success and the promotion, the same applies to the new year. its the end of a counting and the begining of another, one shud be greaterful for not being overcomed by 2010 and graduating to 2011. definately there will be new challenges just like a new class but you are a senior to those who did not make it not in age but in experience. Actually, some involve themselves in excesses, but a simple way of being grateful to God, the owner of the breath of life and a time to sit and have a plan for another counting will be ok
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jan 01, 2011
[size=18pt]I MADE IT INTO 2011

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTT!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!
[/size]
Re: Is New Year Overrated by ajadrage: 11:04pm On Jan 01, 2011
Is new year overrated? Yes. . .
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Limaoscar: 11:04pm On Jan 01, 2011
No, not over-rated. Just very special to find out that you 're still alive after all you went through in the past 12 months and the fact that you survived what probably took out others in the previous year.

I won't be-grudge anybody who does not feel the same way. It might just mean we have different values and separate experiences.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by hbrednic: 11:06pm On Jan 01, 2011
thank God it is a New Year
Overrated ? NO
Re: Is New Year Overrated by oismail(m): 6:51am On Jan 02, 2011
\i must confess, People overrate new year. though, I agreed that new years are special but not as special as some people take them. I used to think that new will make me young but I realised that it make me older and get me closed to my TIME here on earth. Hapi New Year folks.
While some people are making money on New year day some are resting at home, but everybody can't make money onnew years days but if your biz will fetch you more money on that day, why resting.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by philip0906(m): 7:18am On Jan 02, 2011
So happy 2 be in d new year. . .there r only 365/366 days,so seeing d last of it,gives u hope of counting a new 365/366 days.if u doubt,jump inside 3rd mainland bridge u'll know how far grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is New Year Overrated by jafrano(m): 7:21am On Jan 02, 2011
tongue i de laugh o!
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Ranoscky(m): 9:16am On Jan 02, 2011
jpworld:

go to China, nobody cares about January 1, they have there own new year, same goes with Thailand, Japan, and other Asian countries.
Not true bro, China do celebrate new year, even Hongkong too!

Tho, they have their own new year, but, most of them do celebrate the new year!
Re: Is New Year Overrated by natural101(m): 10:33am On Jan 02, 2011
Ranoscky:

Not true bro, China do celebrate new year, even Hongkong too!

Tho, they have their own new year, but, most of them do celebrate the new year!
[/quote

thatz not true. my bros at china called me two days back and told me how the whole of china was bubbling and they were all watching the big clock till it was 12am. so mr. jp dont cook up anything before i report u to nairaland admin
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Joagbaje(m): 2:44pm On Jan 02, 2011
So many people are waiting for a new year to bring a new chsnge. They are stylishly tsking the responsibility off their lives and dumping it on the year. Nothing special about the year but what we do with the year and in the year. That's what count. In the 90s several people were waiting for year 2000 a year of magic . I remember I old some folks. Don't think year 2000 will change yoursystus. You will still be thesame person under the same condition if you don't change your way if thinking .
Re: Is New Year Overrated by roymary: 3:45pm On Jan 02, 2011
@Poster

I deem your Post gibberish.

A simpleton sees no big deal about the commencement of a new Beginning. Its like a mother who says a child's birthday is overrated.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by jjtravels: 6:40pm On Jan 02, 2011
VERY OVERATED
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Natasha2(f): 7:26pm On Jan 02, 2011
ok i don't understand some people God has kept you to see a new year and this is what you can say for a thank you? do u know how many people died the previous year? and here you are posting this rubbish instead of aprreciating God and correcting your wrongs.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Paschal Offor Visits The Aged Home In Enugu Donates Food Stuffs And Cash / People Born In December ( Find Ur Mate) / Geography Questions And Answers Obj And Essay Questions And Answers Waec 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.