Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,222 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

On Covid-19, Nigeria's Strategy And The End Time - F. U. Ebuara - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / On Covid-19, Nigeria's Strategy And The End Time - F. U. Ebuara (204 Views)

Black Soot: They Have Returned With A New Strategy And In Full Force! / COVID-19: Nigeria Adds Two Laboratories For Tests / COVID-19: Nigeria Confirms Five New Cases, Total Now 51 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

On Covid-19, Nigeria's Strategy And The End Time - F. U. Ebuara by ebufrae(m): 3:37pm On Apr 05, 2020
On Covid-19, Nigeria's strategy and the End time.

By Francis U. Ebuara

I remember sometime in November, 2019 when I watched a news bulletin on the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) informing the world about a new viral infection in Wuhan, China. I remember being very much interested in the news at that time because I had just began a career in the study of viruses.
Fast forward from that time to April, 2020, BOOM! The infection has miraculously and 'unwelcomingly' become the only topic for gists all over the world. Well, this is the reality we're faced with and we must face it head on! But I must confess that it has been really really overwhelming and I wish it wasn't the case. So what is the way forward?
It is at this point that I'll become a little bit technical in order to clarify that Covid-19 is not a word used interchangeably or in place of coronavirus. Rather, it is a name for the disease caused by a specie of coronavirus called SARS-CoV-2. Actually, Covid-19 is just like an abbreviation for "COronaVIrusDisease of 2019. SARS-CoV-2 on the other hand means the second SARS coronavirus to emerge. A closely related specie called SARS coronavirus had emerged in China in late 2002. But I don't think nomenclature is very important at this present time, right?
So which way Nigeria? I will, in this piece, skeletally propose four (4) solutions/strategies and further make known my most preferred among them.
The first solution is developing a vaccine that cures those infected and prevents those uninfected. This is unarguably one of the best strategies to cushion the dangerous effects of the now famous infection. But does Nigeria presently has the capacity to develop any vaccine? Please answer that yourself! But while answering that, recall that the nation's top thinkers are on indefinite strike.
The second strategy is to put up measures that interferes or disrupt viral transmission for example, staying at home. I think this is Nigeria's current strategy. It is a very realistic strategy on its own because as you can imagine, the virus does not have legs to walk from one person or place to another. So even if you're infected and choose to stay at home, the virus stays at home too, and no new cases would be recorded.
The third strategy and my most preferred is to allow between 60-70% of the population get infected so that the entire population can acquire herd immunity. It is however imperative that the well-being of the aged or immune-compromised populations are prioritised. This, I think, is the UK's current strategy. Let me further state that different experts have suggested that the present virus may re-emerge in the future precisely in 2025. If this was to be the case, then the most efficient strategy for Nigeria in containing this pandemic is the acquisition of herd immunity. It is unique because it protects against both the present and the future with the highest degree of confidence!
The last strategy I would propose is the development of therapeutics that essentially hinder the successful synthesis of viral proteins in vivo. I am pretty sure this is in the forefront of America's numerous solutions. This follows the approval for the use of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin for the treatment of Covid-19 patients by the FDA. I personally have reservations for this strategy anyway.
But is the current coronavirus disease the worst pandemic ever? Definitely NO! We have in the past contended with way-worse pandemics including the Antonine Plague of 165AD, the Black Death of 1346 and the Spanish Flu of 1918 amongst others. Now my point is that it is highly unlikely that the present pandemic is signifying end time. But of course this is just logic. So how does the Bible corroborates my assertion? Both Matthew 24:44 and Luke 12:40 (NIV) read:
"So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him".
Re: On Covid-19, Nigeria's Strategy And The End Time - F. U. Ebuara by ebufrae(m): 3:45pm On Apr 05, 2020
In essence, the fact that we're expecting Him, alone, affirms that this is not the end time. But do not get it twisted, you're urged to ALWAYS be ready because eventually it will happen. For the meantime, please go about your legitimate activities, touch lives, keep safe and enjoy life.

Francis U. Ebuara is of the Department of Microbiology, Federal University Wukari, Nigeria and can be reached via email to ushiebuaras@fuwukari.edu.ng
Re: On Covid-19, Nigeria's Strategy And The End Time - F. U. Ebuara by Temidayo9(m): 3:46pm On Apr 05, 2020
Oinnn...... you are doing well

(1) (Reply)

Covid-19 : Bronx Zoo Tiger Tests Positive For Coronavirus / No Face Mask No Movement, Else Pay 300k-/cross Rivers Govt. / Chinese Medical Experts Now In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.