Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,089 members, 7,835,661 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection (51181 Views)

I Saw Told I Have A Viral Infection / Monolaurin Strong Against Sturborn Staphylococcus & Some Viral Infection / Man Who Survived A Horrible Gas Explosion At Home, Shares His Transformation(pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by bharkarh(m): 1:27am On Apr 10, 2020
valx2:
I suffered a very scary cold in late January such that i thought I was gonna die coz I was suffocating. I breath in air but still feeling like I was being choked to death.with other symptoms like chest pain,fever,cough, and I totally lost my voice such that anyone standing 5 meters away can't hear when I speak.
I am not ashtmatic, neither do I have any chronic illness. I know common cold when I see one. A kind of cold that I've never experienced in my entire life.
And this lasted for about 3 weeks
After reading about the signs and symptoms of Covid 19
I said to myself, " It could be corona o.
This is a true life story
how were you able to combat it?
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by HazzanTazzan(m): 1:56am On Apr 10, 2020
Meedon:

I don't blame you

I blame hunger

Olofo... Hunger wey don dey deal with you since last year...

So you have been dropping your acct here since last year and people have been helping you and you hope to keep doing that till forever ?

Learn a skill and get your lazy ass to work
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by drucci: 2:04am On Apr 10, 2020
DREAMZZZ:
Who go read all this rubbish op angry angry this is the 21st century just go straight to the point na wa ooo undecided

You are extremely ultimately unintelligent.
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by drucci: 2:12am On Apr 10, 2020
valx2:
I suffered a very scary cold in late January such that i thought I was gonna die coz I was suffocating. I breath in air but still feeling like I was being choked to death.with other symptoms like chest pain,fever,cough, and I totally lost my voice such that anyone standing 5 meters away can't hear when I speak.
I am not ashtmatic, neither do I have any chronic illness. I know common cold when I see one. A kind of cold that I've never experienced in my entire life.
And this lasted for about 3 weeks
After reading about the signs and symptoms of Covid 19
I said to myself, " It could be corona o.
This is a true life story

Had exact same symptoms.
February 13th. Onset.
Severe cough
Terrible fever.
Very terrible fever
All known meds couldn't help.
All IVs were just palliative.
Lost sense of taste.
Was afraid to sleep.
Breathing through my mouth.
Severe chest pain.
Very painful sore throat.
Mehn
Was terrible.
I can't remember how but started to recover after 3 doses of pipperacillin tazobactam shipped in from the US

3 Likes

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by wirinet(m): 2:17am On Apr 10, 2020
sotall:
undecided

Coronavirus has been in Nigeria as early as last year December.

A lot of people have the disease and do not know it. We never had the testing kit till about a month ago anyway.

In all of these, one thing stands out, the number of confirmed infected persons in Nigeria is scam.

The real infected people with coronavirus disease are roaming the street spreading it
I agree with you also. My whole family was down 3 weeks ago with similar symptoms you described. It started with my 6 years old daughter coughing profusely and running high temperature, my wife took her to a nearby nurse for malaria treatment which was quinine based. The next day, my wife too started coughing also, her own was even more serious with phlegm, she too went for the full course of quinine treatment, the next day my 8 years old boy and I came down with high fever, he had dry cough while I didn't, but had some throat discomfort. I went to do malaria and typhoid test for us both. The result were positive for thyroid and negative for malaria, so I bought strong antibiotics for us both. My son and little daughter were so sick that I was becoming afraid, they could not eat for 3 days. I had to buy 2 big bottles of lucozade everyday for three days to provide energy (glucose). I also put my daughter on antibiotics. Two days later, my eldest 12 year old started his own. I also took him for test and it was thyroid, so I also bought him antibiotics. By this time, I had almost spent 30,000 on drugs, tests and supplements. When we started suspecting something more sinister, my wife went to buy lime, ginger, and garlic. Luckily I had a big bottle of honey at home. The lime was fücking expensive, 1 was N500. My wife bought 10 for 5000. So I would squeeze the lime, grate the ginger add honey with some water. I warmed the broth, not boil and gave it to the whole family to drink, once in the morning and once at night. After about 5 days, we were all getting better. We are all much better now, but not 100%. It was hardest on my wife, she would cough all night, although the cough has almost gone. Now she sleeps much better.
To be honest, I was really scared. I was even scared of going to the hospital at this time, because to me hospitals are ground zero for this coronavirus. The hospitals are not adequately disinfected and with lots of suspected infected patients coming in and out, the chances of catching the virus in hospitals are quite high.

3 Likes

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by Sassilicious(f): 3:15am On Apr 10, 2020
Op....sounds very much like you had covid
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by kingi777: 3:50am On Apr 10, 2020
Around early March, I had an encounter with a woman with her husband as they came into my office to tell me how she has been sick with cough. Later that evening, I started feeling symptoms of cough in my throat. When I got home, I drank hot water cuz that's mainly what I use any time I suspect cough in infection.

Note: I have done several research in the lab with bacteria and most times, I infect myself & mostly drink hot water to distrupt the multiplication of the bacteria in my throat before it causes further infection.
For 3 days, I was having intermittent dry cough without any production of sputum; still taking the hot water without any improvement. Then on the 4th day, I started feeling feverish as I woke up. Then it was as if my heart was jumping out (don't know how to describe the feeling). One of my friends was celebrating the new car he bought, so we went to one joint to take pepper soup with some drinks. In my own observation, she's the best in Abuja as any time we want to eat fish paper soup, that joint is our destination as the woman has special way of cooking the cat fish with spices such as garlic, ginger & hot peper. We ate fish o from noon to evening that day. After that get together, my throat got cleared, the dried cough stopped, fever stopped, except for my heart which I earlier said as if it wanted to jump out. Gradually, the heart jumping feeling stopped after some days. Some times, I ask if it could be Covid-19.
My take:
1. Some may come in contact with cariers and not contract it.
2. Some would contract it and show mild or no symptoms
3. Some would contract the disease and be terribly sick but survive
4. Some would contract it and die

2 Likes

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by litaninja(m): 4:03am On Apr 10, 2020
Most of what you highlighted is true. However. I would like to call to your attention the fact that the antimalarial Chloroquine has been shown as effective against the coronavirus. So, as in philosophy, is it true treatment if it works & the reason the medicine was taken was not present but the subject was cured....

Angelfrost:
Thank God for your health and that of those you love... Your healing will remain permanent.

First off, for a viral infection (suspected or tested), oral anti-infectives like antibiotics and antimalarials were not only unnecessary, but highly counterproductive... This is part of the growing issue of drug resistance in this country.

What really helped you was the good immune system you already had, and the supportive care from your wife.

This is the testimony of a lot of Nigerians who got infected... I'm talking thousands ncdc has failed to test across the nation, since February.
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by litaninja(m): 4:08am On Apr 10, 2020
No, the NCDC is not.
The NCDC is doing at a larger scale, for free, in a more scientific manner, the exact same thing the OPs wife did for him. Managing the infected, recording them, gathering information about the intection, sharing with the WHO & collaborating with them to fond a cure/vaccine.
The op states that from his estimates, he must have infected 20 other people. If the NCDC managed that, the number would not be that high. They are working to CONTROL the spread by isolating those infected.

Angelfrost:

The testimony of at least a thousand other Nigerians... NCDC is another White Elephant!!! undecided
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by litaninja(m): 4:14am On Apr 10, 2020
Lol. You're right....& you're also wrong.
The group of corona viruses have existed for a while now. They have similar symptoms and while it is unlikely there was a resurgence of any of the previously know infections, it cannot be ruled out.
Look up the symptoms of SARs for example. Not police SARS o.....

proffemi:

Lol. I no know which year of release your own COVID be o.

Seriously, OP's symptoms sound suspiciously like COVID. Not just the cough alone; not just the fever alone...its about how both started and fed off each other. Plus the entire course of the infection makes it sound like COVID. But he was also smart enough not to say with any certainty that it was COVID. Your own meanwhile sounds like a nasty infection, but them never been release COVID that time grin grin
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by otokx(m): 4:18am On Apr 10, 2020
NCDC has been overwhelmed, Nigerians though refuse to sit at home by themselves.

A simple rule of thumb, if you feel unwell stay at home and visitors too should stay away.
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by Nobody: 6:45am On Apr 10, 2020
kingi777:
Around early March, I had an encounter with a woman with her husband as they came into my office to tell me how she has been sick with cough. Later that evening, I started feeling symptoms of cough in my throat. When I got home, I drank hot water cuz that's mainly what I use any time I suspect cough in infection.

Note: I have done several research in the lab with bacteria and most times, I infect myself & mostly drink hot water to distrupt the multiplication of the bacteria in my throat before it causes further infection.
For 3 days, I was having intermittent dry cough without any production of sputum; still taking the hot water without any improvement. Then on the 4th day, I started feeling feverish as I woke up. Then it was as if my heart was jumping out (don't know how to describe the feeling). One of my friends was celebrating the new car he bought, so we went to one joint to take pepper soup with some drinks. In my own observation, she's the best in Abuja as any time we want to eat fish paper soup, that joint is our destination as the woman has special way of cooking the cat fish with spices such as garlic, ginger & hot peper. We ate fish o from noon to evening that day. After that get together, my throat got cleared, the dried cough stopped, fever stopped, except for my heart which I earlier said as if it wanted to jump out. Gradually, the heart jumping feeling stopped after some days. Some times, I ask if it could be Covid-19.
My take:
1. Some may come in contact with cariers and not contract it.
2. Some would contract it and show mild or no symptoms
3. Some would contract the disease and be terribly sick but survive
4. Some would contract it and die
You can't contract disease in a day and start showing symptoms minutes after you are exposed to infection. Get your fact right
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by kingi777: 7:24am On Apr 10, 2020
Acmepreneur:

You can't contract disease in a day and start showing symptoms minutes after you are exposed to infection. Get your fact right
I can't tell if it was the woman I met on that day that caused the infection or prior exposure. You know when you want to come down with cough, you start feeling from your throat. So it's not as if I started coughing on the first day.
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by Meedon: 7:30am On Apr 10, 2020
HazzanTazzan:

Olofo... Hunger wey don dey deal with you since last year...

So you have been dropping your acct here since last year and people have been helping you and you hope to keep doing that till forever ?

Learn a skill and get your lazy ass to work

Okay

That is a good idea
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by CTGVenturesFCT(f): 7:31am On Apr 10, 2020
Acmepreneur:

Yeah, he must have been infected days or weeks earlier.
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by GoshenNLA(m): 7:32am On Apr 10, 2020
profndu:

What are you doing with your stay at home time?
Don't be the proverbial African that missed his future just because it was hidden inside a book.
Be patient and read articles cos no knowledge is a waste.
Am tired of reading already, all i need now is summary, i don read tire��
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by GoshenNLA(m): 7:33am On Apr 10, 2020
Samade7:

Summary: the op bought another car after contributing part of his salary.

Praise thy lord grin grin grin
Really??
I praise the Lord with him
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by donnie(m): 7:47am On Apr 10, 2020
vokalafrica:

Hmm... This is a PLANNEDEMIC

your head dey there, a very serious Plandemic.
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by jimpas: 7:49am On Apr 10, 2020
Op please can can the following be ascertain I feel it can help:
The genotype of your wife who had it but not down with it .And the genotype of your sister and the wife to your neighbor who never contacted at all. I am not a scientist but may be knowing their genotype could help to know if a certain genotype are resistant to this viral infection.This might help our scientist/doctor to possible treat this covid-19
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by PrinceDangana(m): 8:04am On Apr 10, 2020
AFOLSNETWORKS:
In view of the current COVID-19 pandemic ravaging the entire world, I have decided to put out this piece to let every reader know the virus is real, closer to you than you thought and gladly, you can overcome it.

The early part of this year was really a tough one for me and my family because I, my son and wife fell sick. I and my son were seriously sick while my wife was mildly sick as well, sadly, it didn’t stop there, it went on to people we were in close contact with.

It all started on Saturday 11th of January 2020, at that time we were fasting. On that Saturday, I went to town for some little run around and business, when I was done with my business, I decided to get some take away food at a nice restaurant in Wuse II, Abuja. As soon as I broke my fast that day with the same food I got, I started having a dry and persistent cough, I dismissed it as a normal cough that it will soon fade away.

The following morning, which was a Sunday, the cough persisted but I was still hoping it will clear off. We all went to church but couldn’t wait till the church closed, we had to leave earlier because I was feeling feverish. The normal me was trying to fight the fever hoping it will go by the next day. Later that night my wife noticed my body was warmer than normal, so we check with the aid of a thermometer and found out my body temperature was above 38, so I took paracetamol to calm the situation and we all slept. The cough and spike in temperature persisted through the night.

On Monday morning, my wife being a nurse didn’t take the situation lightly. She got an I.V (intravenous) line set and commenced administering drip into my system coupled with malaria and cough treatment. I felt my strength was fast dwindling. I was sweating profusely and I had lost appetite for food. It was like 25% of my consciousness was shut. Yet the fever wouldn’t subside. She also commenced a broad-spectrum antibiotic but all to no avail.

Soon enough my son started spiking and treatment began for him as well. All treatment administered by my wife was in consultation with her doctor colleagues. The days were going by and I wasn’t feeling better.

When our neighbors got to know I wasn’t feeling fine, they came to check up on me at different times. I couldn’t engage them for long as I was mentally down. Before I knew what was going on, the two families caught the infection too and that got me more worried and panic almost set in.

I had not been that sick in a very long time. My energy was so down I had to request for Lucuzade Boost aside several ORS I had to take. The malaria treatment was completed but I wasn’t back to myself, the fever was still there, the cough persisted despite use of good brands of cough syrup and same for my son. We had to change the antibiotics to a stronger one based on prescription. Yet I and my son weren’t getting better. While all this was going on my wife caught the infection too but for God knows why, she wasn’t as knocked off as I and our son were. She could still run around to get medications for us.

On one of the occasions, we had to go to the hospital to unofficially see one of her doctor colleagues to check and probably recommend investigations or medications but we were advised to complete the antibiotics as the test result will not be correct since medication have already commenced. On our way out that day we were asked by a doctor friend who works at the National Hospital Abuja to stop by so she could check me. Haven examined me and with the brief history, she suspected upper respiratory infection as my wife had earlier suspected. Unfortunately, days after, I learnt she and her son contracted the infection (the doctor friend is a sister to our neighbour). I felt so sad and my wife cried because it started from our house and it was escalating super-fast.

All the while, I never wanted to be admitted in a hospital because I believed that will automatically make the situation worse for me, stress my wife and will also get my aged parents worried knowing fully well, I’ve only been on hospital bed once during my service year. While I was about midway into the stronger oral antibiotics and still not getting better, I told my wife, “Please, if I’m not better by tomorrow morning, take me to the hospital”. At that point the reality almost supersede my coping mechanism, I’ve never had such magnitude of mental fatigue. It was like I was fast closing my eyes to this world. It was not funny.

My wife had to put call through again and this time she was advised to administer intravenous antibiotics for both me and my son which I had earlier refused because I felt the matter wasn’t that serious. It was only after then I began to feel better and recover. At that time, I had lost weight and I was frail. I completed the IV antibiotics and felt better but we had to go get some more supportive medication at H-Medix in town, so I drove (we reside at a near suburb to central business district), I thought I was completely ok, when we were done buying stuff, I told my wife, “Please drive.” My energy was zapped, I hadn’t fully recovered from the mental fatigue. I had to take one further week of bed rest before I could fully recover even after completion of medications.

As at January 23rd thereabout, the doctor friend who examined me and suspected upper respiratory infection had been admitted with her son at the National Hospital Abuja, that wasn’t all, her doctor colleague who went to set line for her son at home had also contracted the infection and it spread to the later doctor’s daughter too. A few classmates from my neighbor’s son’s school had reported sick. I got worried and decided to call NCDC to report, but for unknown reason I couldn’t reach them on phone. So, I decided I would go to NCDC office on Monday Jan 27th to lodge a report. Before then, we decided to go visit the doctor friend and her son at The National Hospital on Sunday January 26th.

When we got to the hospital, we met her in good condition. I discussed with her that I will go to NCDC to go lodge a report but she told me the FCT Infectious Disease Control (NCDC) had taken her sample for investigation and that there may be no need to further escalate the matter. This was corroborated by the consultant physician who managed her as he concluded the it was a “Self-Limiting Upper Respiratory Viral Infection”. The doctor and her son got better and were discharged afterward.

Thankfully, everyone I knew of who contracted the disease recovered. Although I subsequently had an inflamed bronchus (my left side), I treated that with heat several times and that was it.

From all indications the following can be deduced from the experience:
1. We dealt with a super contagious viral infection
2. No one could state at what point we individually contracted the virus
3. All the signs and symptoms were no different from that of COVID-19
4. The infection could be fatal if NOTHING is done
5. Not everyone in our close contact contracted the virus (My younger sister and a neighbor’s wife)
6. Covid-19 might have been in Nigeria earlier than announced
7. As far as I know, not less than 20 people contracted the disease

Kindly note I cannot categorically say what we had was COVID-19 because no such investigation was carried out on any of us. The result of the doctor retuned NEGATIVE FOR LASSA FEVER VIRUS and no other viral test was conducted. When Nigeria had the index case for COVID-19, I called NCDC to know if I could get an antibody test but was told they were currently only conducting antigen test for people who show symptoms for COVID-19.

The essence of this write up is to know you can beat a viral infection. Viral infection is not a death sentence but shouldn’t be allowed to progress. Full recovery is also possible if prompt and proper measures are taken.

Stay Safe, Healthy & Secured!
Thank God for ur life and that of ur family and Neigbour...
May God help us
please kings as Queens,, today is my birthday, please show me love
I will really appreciate incase u want to gift me anything,no amount is small please,hunger dey.. here is my account details
3035158953..first bank
Dangana o. Godson.
GOD BLESS YOU SIR/MA.

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by Ahasco(m): 8:06am On Apr 10, 2020
You lucky your wife is a nurse and sure that experience will be extended to your friends who also had the ailment. But what if...

1 Like

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by OgaTheTop2: 8:08am On Apr 10, 2020
smiley
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by Babinski: 8:54am On Apr 10, 2020
Flier:
Nonsense! you just decided you had Coronavirus because you suffered respiratory problems?
Infact the case in China wasn’t up to 5 people around January 11 so where did you get yours ?

China's Covid-19 index case was reported on December 12, 2019 and there is every likelihood the pandemic started earlier than the reported case. China only reported to WHO on December 31, 2019 and didn't allow WHO entry to investigate until about two weeks later.
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by Toseenlove: 10:18am On Apr 10, 2020
sotall:
undecided

Cronavirus has been in Nigeria as early as last year December.

A lot of people have the disease and do not know it. We never had the testing kit till about a month ago anyway.

In all of these, one thing stands out, the number of confirmed infected persons in Nigeria is scam.

The real infected people with coronavirus disease are roaming the street spreading it

If that Virus truly exist, Your assertion Is kinda true. The advantage Nigerians has Is a large percentage are Immune to this Virus. But It will definitely attack someone and there will be symptoms. Most likely, Someone would treat this symptoms as malaria, fever, cough and the symptoms will disappear In no time..
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by newinventions: 11:09am On Apr 10, 2020
Funny enough I had the exact sickness and the exact symptoms of the OP last month. I was bombarded with strong antibiotic injection. I was losing my senses. I thought I would die.

I hard a very dry cough. I thought I had Corona Virus. The fever was extreme. The fear of having Corona made matter worst. It got to a point I was having a little breathing problem but not severe.

See the fear of having Corona kill faster than the virus itself.

When I started getting better I made a herbal tea with ginger, garlic, tumeric, lime and pineapple. I boiled everything and still drinking till today.

It's only by God's grace that I am alive today.

I forgot to mention that I live in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by imustsaymymindo: 11:50am On Apr 10, 2020
I had similar symptoms too same time January 3-16 this year. And 2 colleagues too at the same time.

The fear then was Lassa Fever.

I doubt it is Corona though. But I guess something was flying around that January that we were not aware of.

2 Likes

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by Daum: 12:33pm On Apr 10, 2020
imustsaymymindo:
I had similar symptoms too same time January 3-16 this year. And 2 colleagues too at the same time.

The fear then was Lassa Fever.

I doubt it is Corona though. But I guess something was flying around that January that we were not aware of.

That's what I am saying. Something happened in January. an epidemic maybe but if you read comments you go understand

3 Likes

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by profmallor: 1:58pm On Apr 10, 2020
Thank God for your life, I believe some set of people might actually have been systematically and strategically spreading the virus by infecting public places before the ones from Abroad came in to Nigeria.
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by Sammyimpostor: 2:03pm On Apr 10, 2020
GoshenNLA:
E too long abeg, who can summarize??

The summary is that he survived a contagious viral infection

1 Like

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by bendazum: 2:52pm On Apr 10, 2020
Roon9:
Guys e don burst for area Oooo

So this oversabi guy still find way snook down to olosho quarters in spite of lockdown. Aunty olosho now based on social etiquette applied hand sanitizers on his Thing. Now the thing no gree rise again o.... I dey come I go drop the full gist.

OP! Is there 5G in your area

Aunty Olosho? grin

1 Like

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by bendazum: 2:53pm On Apr 10, 2020
Babatunde40:
I have read stories of people who said they had flu symptoms very similar to those of coronavirus last year

Many people will get this covid 19 and recover without knowing they were positive to covid 19

Very possible. Na God las las.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dinavir: New Cure For HIV Discovered In Russia / Dark Patches On My Skin. Dermatologists, Please Help. / Ganduje Is The ‘Best Performing Governor’ In COVID-19 Fight In Nigeria - APREN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.